Tax Information - what do you need to do?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Re: Tax Information - what do you need to do?

Post by Tuberat »

Well guys, it looks like i'll be making phone calls tomorrow. *sigh*
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Re: Question: "Address of Actual Physical Location Being Reg

Post by snapesgirl34 »

Mara wrote:
KoriMichele wrote:Hey, so I've got me EIN and I'm attempting to register it with the state of Mass.

But I've come up to the question: "Address of Actual Physical Location Being Registered"

Previously in this form, I filled out the Primary Business Location (office of business) in my home state of Maine. This question about "Physical Location Being Registered," does that still mean my Studio in Maine, or does it mean the convention center where I will be making my sales in Massachusetts?

If you are an out-of-stater, how did you fill this part out?

Thanks!
I'm in-state, but I gave my home address. I sell stuff on Etsy, and that's where that stuff comes from, so...

I guess I'll talk about my experience in the event that it's helpful...

When I registered for an EIN, the questionnaire gave you a chance to indicate that you were signing up for an EIN for the purposes of something like "I am opening a bank account and the bank is making me do this." I didn't notice anywhere that I was now going to be expected to pay surprise! $400 entrepreneur penalty! or anything like that. As it is, I'm a horrible businesswoman and my expenses far outpace my profit, lol. Anyhow, all that got squared away very quickly.

I registered for my MA sales tax license number-thing last night, and it didn't take long. I also became terribly afraid that this now meant I was going to fall under ADDITIONAL LIFETIME SCRUTINY! as a result. By my figuring, I'd be paying something like 50 bucks in sales tax to Massachusetts, so I fall under the "you can file online annually" category. Great!!!

When I go see our accountant next month, I am going to have a LOT of questions for certain. It's crummy to feel like you're parting with your hard-earned money when it's not like you're making thousands of dollars (I sure didn't in 2011... I brought in something in a piddly three-digit amount, donated a big chunk to charity, and I know that I spent more on start-up costs than I made back). We'll see how this goes, I guess. I'm scared about possibly doing something that results in going to white-collar prison or leaves me broke and distraught, having opened the Pandora's box that is signing up for an EIN. I am hoping that these fears are misplaced.

I'm sure you'll be fine, especially since you're not making a lot, and you only have to pay taxes on your profit (not the money you donated to charity or had to spend on start up costs), and even then I think you only have to pay taxes on it if it's over $400 profit. It sucks, but the flip side is you get write of your business expenses (like art supplies, travel to the con, food at the con, hotel costs) as business expenses. :D
KoriMichele
Getting the hang of this...

Post by KoriMichele »

Hey ManifestedDreams! I have the same problem. I paused filling out mu app for a while to ask my location question, and when I came back, it said my session had expired and then gave me the same message you got when I tried to go do it again.

But I know I definitely didn't complete the app.

I'm on the phone now trying to reach someone to ask what to do, but I've been on hold for ages. If I can't speak to someone, I'll try the email, but it nothing else in the next day or so, I will try doing it again with new username and password and see if that works. I'm a little worried because sometimes duplicate apps can complicate things, but I maintain that I definitely didn't finish the first one, so...

...and I think i just got disconnected. OI.

I'll report back if I figure it out.
----------
My website: KoriMichele.com
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Tuberat wrote:Well guys, it looks like i'll be making phone calls tomorrow. *sigh*
:hug: Can never win, no?
KoriMichele

Post by KoriMichele »

Do tell how and if you manage to get through~! I called twice and was just put on hold for ten minutes until it automatically disconnected. The whole time enduring the mocking "All of our representatives are busy, please wait..." recording. =/
----------
ManifestedDreams
Experienced Poster

Post by ManifestedDreams »

Glad I'm not the only one x_x I don't want to mess with duplicate submissions either. Curse you, Mass!*fistshake*
pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

FWIW, the times I've ever called only had me holding for a very short time. Maybe it makes a difference about what time of day/day of the week. Well, to clarify, I haven't called the IRS. I've only called the DoR to get details about what our requirement is and to ask the questions I thought might be the 'biggest'.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
KoriMichele

Post by KoriMichele »

Yeah, I was calling the DOR too. I'll try again in the afternoon to see if I have any better luck, thanks!
----------
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

Okay guys. I had to call the DOR several times. i have a feeling they're suddenly handling high volume calls (probably all of us) because there was DEFINITELY an issue with phone service.

the first time i called - i was 'put on hold'. no hold music. just a recording every so often telling me i was still on hold. then the silence lengthened. i got suspicious. cell phones don't tell you when you've been cut off. and lo, i was disconnected.

the second time i called i actually got through RIGHT AWAY - but they couldn't hear me at all!
thankfully, what they say about third times the charm must be true, cause i got through.

Okay, so here is what i got:

#1 - YES we have to display our tax certificate. it will be mailed to us. so yeah, unless you want to display your SSID for all to see, please get yourself an EIN

#2 - out of staters - the location and seasonal section - she says really doesn't matter. because we do NOT have a mass location for our business, (and because we did use those locality codes) we just note we are from out of state by putting our out of state address. seasonal doesn't matter either if you failed to select it BECAUSE:

#3 - FILING!!! Haha!
We do not have to worry about perpetual filing. (and in which case, NO FINES)
first off - we were all asked (or will be, if you haven't done this yet) what we estimate our taxes to be. we're (most of us) doing this one show in boston so we probably all selected:

"estimate 0-100 in tax" -

IN WHICH CASE THIS IS AN ANNUAL and NOT Quarterly File
and despite it being annual, you can do the filing RIGHT after the show and then close your Massachusetts registration
it is only if the registration remains open that we would have to worry about more filing.

TO CLOSE: - send a note or go on the homepage
go to register - manage registration, close with a closing show and add a note that this was a one time show etc...

can reopen the reopen the following year if necessary.

Did i miss anything?
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

At the end of the online registration, you should see a 'temporary certificate' that could conceivably be printed out or saved as an image or a .pdf for handiness in case anything gets delayed in the mail.

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Tuberat wrote:#3 - FILING!!! Haha!
We do not have to worry about perpetual filing. (and in which case, NO FINES)
first off - we were all asked (or will be, if you haven't done this yet) what we estimate our taxes to be. we're (most of us) doing this one show in boston so we probably all selected:

"estimate 0-100 in tax" -

IN WHICH CASE THIS IS AN ANNUAL and NOT Quarterly File
and despite it being annual, you can do the filing RIGHT after the show and then close your Massachusetts registration
it is only if the registration remains open that we would have to worry about more filing.
Hmm...I didn't see that anywhere when I registered with the DOR. Where was the estimated tax located on the form, and/or did anyone else who registered with the DOR this week see that anywhere? Just thought I'd ask before I go bogging down the DOR phone lines further.
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Don't worry about tying up the phones if you've got questions. Part of their job is to answer questions, so think about it as helping someone keep a job if it matters. Naturally, though, if you've got your own work to do, you should probably find a time when it's not so busy. ;) I could get so much more convention stuff done if it wasn't for all this actual real work I have to do at work.

egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Post by egyptianruin »

I picked Independant Artists, Writers etc etc for my profession.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

For Tax Types do we only need to check off "Use Tax Purchaser" ?

EDIT: Or better yet, what do we check off for Tax Type? As well as what do we put in for Trade Name?

EDIT2: All filled out C:
Last edited by okapirose on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KoriMichele

Post by KoriMichele »

ManifestedDreams wrote:Glad I'm not the only one x_x I don't want to mess with duplicate submissions either. Curse you, Mass!*fistshake*
HEY! I finally got through. You can continue the application if you have the application reference number! (If you have it, scroll down- on the left under "for businesses" is "check status"- click it and fill in your ref number and username and it will say the status is incomplete and give you a button to click continue!)

If you dont have it, give them a call 617-887-MDOR (option 2 when prompted) and ask, they will use your username and EIN to find your ref number and give it to you. Then you can use it to continue as listed parenthetically above!

Good luck!

Noooowwww... it says to wait two days for processing. Got my certificate all screencapped.

On the form to send the EIN to AB... do I fill that out with the federal EIN, or am I waiting for a specific number to be assigned to me by the state of Massachusetts?

Thanks! Hopefully this is my last question!!!
----------
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

okapirose wrote:For Tax Types do we only need to check off "Use Tax Purchaser" ?
Someone else that's actually filled it in might be able answer better, but 'use tax' is like if you buy something online or in another state and need to pay the equivalent of MA sales tax.
KoriMichele wrote:On the form to send the EIN to AB... do I fill that out with the federal EIN, or am I waiting for a specific number to be assigned to me by the state of Massachusetts?
The number will be the same. MA doesn't issue new tax IDs. Only the IRS does that. If you'd registered your SSID (your personal tax ID like when you file your income tax return) that would be the same number as your MA sales tax ID.

KitsuneCreations
Veteran Poster

Post by KitsuneCreations »

okapirose wrote:For Tax Types do we only need to check off "Use Tax Purchaser" ?

EDIT: Or better yet, what do we check off for Tax Type? As well as what do we put in for Trade Name?
Id like to second this. Im filling this out too and I'm stuck... which one to check off? D:

Edit: I ended up going with Sales / Use vendor, something like that. I hope that was correct! Completed the process and I guess now I just wait for something to come in the mail. Glad they have that seasonal option, I just checked off April and put the start date for Thursday of the con :)
KitsuneCreation.etsy.com | Instagram.com/KitsuneCreation | Facebook.com/KitsuneCreation
ManifestedDreams
Experienced Poster

Post by ManifestedDreams »

KoriMichele wrote:
ManifestedDreams wrote:Glad I'm not the only one x_x I don't want to mess with duplicate submissions either. Curse you, Mass!*fistshake*
HEY! I finally got through. You can continue the application if you have the application reference number! (If you have it, scroll down- on the left under "for businesses" is "check status"- click it and fill in your ref number and username and it will say the status is incomplete and give you a button to click continue!)

If you dont have it, give them a call 617-887-MDOR (option 2 when prompted) and ask, they will use your username and EIN to find your ref number and give it to you. Then you can use it to continue as listed parenthetically above!

Good luck!

Noooowwww... it says to wait two days for processing. Got my certificate all screencapped.

On the form to send the EIN to AB... do I fill that out with the federal EIN, or am I waiting for a specific number to be assigned to me by the state of Massachusetts?

Thanks! Hopefully this is my last question!!!

Thank you! I don't have the reference number, so I'll give them a ring first thing in the morning. This makes me feel better. I was worried they'd think I was being shady or something if I submitted a half finished form xD I assume this happens a lot, though.
Melangetic
I'm new!

Post by Melangetic »

Okay done... I think I got it right. I hope I got it right. o.O
The many questions in this forum helped.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

***A little off topic***

Will we need to do this for Nauticon in May?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

i am. and probably anyone who wants to be a good artist should.
but i was told that since we are NOT selling tables, we as a convention are in no way responsible for the actions of the artists the way AB is in regards to the tax situation
i'd still do it anyway, to be safe..
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

marikotoeii wrote:***A little off topic***

Anime Boston is not affiliated with Nauticon in any official capacity. You'll want to check with their organizers.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
ErinErin
Expert Poster

Post by ErinErin »

Allyson-x wrote:

Id like to second this. Im filling this out too and I'm stuck... which one to check off? D:

Edit: I ended up going with Sales / Use vendor, something like that. I hope that was correct! Completed the process and I guess now I just wait for something to come in the mail. Glad they have that seasonal option, I just checked off April and put the start date for Thursday of the con :)
You were correct in choosing Sales/Use Vendor.

"Use Tax Purchaser" is only for MA residents & businesses that are reporting tax on purchases made out of state (for example going to NH and buying a TV). Not something anyone will have to worry about regarding AB (or any other cons for that matter).

Everyone that is only attending AB in MA this year, or AB is their first show in MA for 2012, should put the first day of the con as their start date and select the appropriate months of operation so the DOR won't come looking for missing tax returns for periods you weren't selling or present in the state.

I should note that sales tax is a STATE issue so the laws of two different states will always be different (though they could be similar). It has been my experience that most states will go out of their way to be unique from all others just because they can.

Remember that the business questions (how much will you sell, when did you start, etc.) only apply to your sales in MA. Your activity outside MA doesn't really matter.

Also most of the business & tax registeration forms and information is written to apply to all business and situations. There will probably be a lot of questions geared more towards larger companies (Corps, LLCs, etc.) that won't apply to most of you as artists. I haven't actually seen the form recently so I can't remember specifics.

Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or CPA, my job just entails reading up on and registering business for tax purposes in all 50 states (more on a corporate level so I am far from an expert on sole proprietorships). I've been looking into all this stuff to help out a friend of mine who applied for AA and figured I'd share some info with everyone else.
toychild
Experienced Poster

Post by toychild »

sob, I really hope I did this right and will not be forced to pay some humungous fee OTL

EDIT: to those who might have clicked the wrong tax For "Tax Types"

I just called and they told me to just wait for the confirmation email for the app to have been accepted, just log in again and then you can add and delete the tax types!
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

ErinErin wrote:Obligatory Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or CPA, my job just entails reading up on and registering business for tax purposes in all 50 states (more on a corporate level so I am far from an expert on sole proprietorships). I've been looking into all this stuff to help out a friend of mine who applied for AA and figured I'd share some info with everyone else.

fairyboy86

Re: Tax Information - what do you need to do? UP TO TWO WEE

Post by fairyboy86 »

So now that's it been a full two days since i registered with the state of Massachusetts, and still with no reply or number only with a reference number, I called to ask whats up since its been naturally two days, to my horror they said, it may take up to two weeks to go through!
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

FWIW, I've never heard of anyone being 'rejected' or anything. When Dealers' Room people didn't have it even up to the day before the con, they've been able to get things registered overnight and come up with the temporary registration.

Again, for us, we need a number and your real name and the rest (actually filing properly) is on you. I know that's not much comfort. XD

ync
Expert Poster

Re: Tax Information - what do you need to do? UP TO TWO WEE

Post by ync »

fairyboy86 wrote:So now that's it been a full two days since i registered with the state of Massachusetts, and still with no reply or number only with a reference number, I called to ask whats up since its been naturally two days, to my horror they said, it may take up to two weeks to go through!
that's weird - i registered this morning and got my confirmation email about an hour ago
strawberryquincy
Experienced Poster

Post by strawberryquincy »

Well I completed my things! Now just waiting for confirmation. My EIN is for retail (even though I STILL think that's wrong but they didnt have as many options) but my Massachusets code is the independent artists one.
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Post by Bettina Marie »

Faceman wrote:
marikotoeii wrote:***A little off topic***

Anime Boston is not affiliated with Nauticon in any official capacity. You'll want to check with their organizers.

Actually...Nikki IS affiliated with Nauticon (as am I), she being Artists Colony Manager/Director for Nauticon (and I being AC Assistant Director), so she should be all right in asking her. ^_^;;;
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
keithklee
I'm new!

Post by keithklee »

Hey Nikki,
I Live in CT and have already gotten a CT Sales and Tax Use Permit. I was told that that would be good enough to use out of State. Can you Please check with Mass. and plus our state tax is higher than mass.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

fairyboy - i never even got an email confirmation, i did mine last week and something arrived from the DOR in my physical mailbox yesterday.

bettina - christian is right, however. it has nothing to do with AB and shouldn't be derailing an important topic.

um....darn it, now that i clicked reply, i forgot the last persons user name.
feel free to call as well - its always best to get information like that first hand.
whatever Connecticut told you, however, doesn't make sense to me. how can a Connecticut state tax id work for Massachusetts? you are right that that is DEFINITELY something that needs to be checked and not taken on faith. one state might not be up on any tax law changes from another state that could potentially invalidate something that MIGHT have been okay before.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
keithklee
I'm new!

Post by keithklee »

Tuberat wrote:fairyboy - i never even got an email confirmation, i did mine last week and something arrived from the DOR in my physical mailbox yesterday.

bettina - christian is right, however. it has nothing to do with AB and shouldn't be derailing an important topic.

um....darn it, now that i clicked reply, i forgot the last persons user name.
feel free to call as well - its always best to get information like that first hand.
whatever Connecticut told you, however, doesn't make sense to me. how can a Connecticut state tax id work for Massachusetts? you are right that that is DEFINITELY something that needs to be checked and not taken on faith. one state might not be up on any tax law changes from another state that could potentially invalidate something that MIGHT have been okay before.
I will Call MASS DOR and CT DOR to confirm this and will post a comment when i have found out the definite answer

EDIT:: Just Called Mass DOR. They informed me that i have to apply for a Tax Permit for Mass. I also have other people selling their own product but is with one company. they stated that only One EIN would be needed as long as the person is willing to deal with all the taxes for that one table.
Kikai
Experienced Poster

Post by Kikai »

I hate taxes. I'm already confused enough by my own :?
Ree

Post by Ree »

Woo, I think I'm done!

The only stupid thing I did was type something in the "Doing Business As" section. I thought they wanted to know, like, what my position was in this 'business' so I typed in Artist. So now the State of Massachusetts thinks my working name is Artist. Lol, I'm sure I can get that fixed (it's not super important, right? Everything else is correct...)
Read the Webcomic Anarchy Dreamers My [deviant Art] My [empty] Etsy UrbanRabbitNYC
wing area

Post by wing area »

Okay, I'm super confused.

I have some questions about this under tax exempt items:
Casual and isolated sales:
Infrequent and nonrecurring transactions made by people or businesses not regularly engaged in the business of making such sales are exempt. For example, sales of used appliances by a homeowner or sales at infrequent yard sales are exempt.
Who is a sales/use tax vendor?
A sales/use tax vendor is a retailer or any other person who regularly sells, rents or leases tangible personal property or telecommunications services that are subject to the Massachusetts sales tax.
My friends and I applying for a table are not regularly engaged in business. Does this mean that everything we sell is exempt from sales tax? Is an EIN even necessary? Could someone please explain this? Thanks!
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

wing area wrote:Okay, I'm super confused.

I have some questions about this under tax exempt items:
Casual and isolated sales:
Infrequent and nonrecurring transactions made by people or businesses not regularly engaged in the business of making such sales are exempt. For example, sales of used appliances by a homeowner or sales at infrequent yard sales are exempt.
Who is a sales/use tax vendor?
A sales/use tax vendor is a retailer or any other person who regularly sells, rents or leases tangible personal property or telecommunications services that are subject to the Massachusetts sales tax.
My friends and I applying for a table are not regularly engaged in business. Does this mean that everything we sell is exempt from sales tax? Is an EIN even necessary? Could someone please explain this? Thanks!
Selling at the AA for the weekend would fall into "regularly selling tangible personal property." That's at heart why artists are required to have an EIN. You're setting up to sell at an exhibition of sellers, to sell your goods that you created for the express purpose of selling.

The casual and isolated sales applies to people who would be having a tag sale at their home. Or selling a used PS3 to a friend. Something to that affect. You have an item you didn't get specifically to sell. It's more of a used good that you no longer have any need/want for.

That's the best clarification I can give. If you want an official answer, then it's best to call the Mass Dept of Revenue.
Chris O'Connell

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Ree wrote:Woo, I think I'm done!

The only stupid thing I did was type something in the "Doing Business As" section. I thought they wanted to know, like, what my position was in this 'business' so I typed in Artist. So now the State of Massachusetts thinks my working name is Artist. Lol, I'm sure I can get that fixed (it's not super important, right? Everything else is correct...)
Yeah, they had that "(DBA = Doing Business As)" thing below that box, so I thought that if you were using a pseudonym or somesuch, you were supposed to put "DBA" there before your artist name. Go figure it then shows up as "DBA Amanda Holyoak" on my confirmation as my business name. Why was the parenthetical note there? "DBA" didn't show up anywhere else on the page that I saw....

Oh well. :roll:
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Post by SailorAstera »

for DBA I tried to do Sakky's Plush N Stuff and it wouldn't let me have an apostrophe >< So I used "Sakky Forde" :lol:
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
pulsedemon

Post by pulsedemon »

Faceman wrote:The casual and isolated sales applies to people who would be having a tag sale at their home.
Actually, if you're like 'serial tag sale house' then you'd also have to deal with sales tax. But yeah, since this is a 'show' and people are showing up as 'vendors', then we need sales tax IDs. The same way that someone might have a cart and sell balloons to the crowd on Independence Day. Even though it might be just one time and they're never back again, it's still related to the event and a sales tax ID is required.

benkiupi
Experienced Poster

Post by benkiupi »

I am stuck. When I click "submit" for EIN, I got error message. I reapplied, and got the same message again.

I emailed them, and waiting for their reply.

My question here is: when will be the deadline to apply for EIN and Mass? And has the 2 nd phrase started yet?

I really appreciate if any of you can combine and list all the questions/answers in one post. It would save many people lots of time.
Anime Boston 2012 - Artist Alley table 140d (sharing space with An Bai)

Welcome to KIUPI shop, my online store! I offer both HANDMADE and JAPAN-IMPORTED merchandises.

Please check my products at http://kiupishop.com/

List of some available products:
Handmade:Lolita Kimono, Dream of Doll human-sized dresses, headbands, hair ties
Imported from Japan: glow-in-the dark earrings, lolita bags, lolita shoes, lolita coat and more...
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

benkiupi wrote:My question here is: when will be the deadline to apply for EIN and Mass? And has the 2 nd phrase started yet?
There will be a deadline given of 2 weeks from the receipt of your Phase 2 registration email. But we're starting it now so as many people can get it over with as they can. Phase 2 hasn't started yet, though. We hope to have it open in the upcoming days.
Chris O'Connell

fairyboy86

Post by fairyboy86 »

"fairyboy - i never even got an email confirmation, i did mine last week and something arrived from the DOR in my physical mailbox yesterday."

Ill make sure to keep an eye in the mail, My only hope is this will all be settled before the second phase starts! id hate to loose my spot because the tax information is taking forever to go through! Maybe because I live out of state its gonna take longer then 2 days for me =(
strawberryquincy
Experienced Poster

fairyboy- I DID get an email confirmation an hour or so later, but I'm expecting them to send something in the mail as well. I think they just do both in case the confirmation doesn't send. Don't worry!
tozoku
Expert Poster

Post by tozoku »

Faceman wrote: Selling at the AA for the weekend would fall into "regularly selling tangible personal property." That's at heart why artists are required to have an EIN. You're setting up to sell at an exhibition of sellers, to sell your goods that you created for the express purpose of selling.

The casual and isolated sales applies to people who would be having a tag sale at their home. Or selling a used PS3 to a friend. Something to that affect. You have an item you didn't get specifically to sell. It's more of a used good that you no longer have any need/want for.

That's the best clarification I can give. If you want an official answer, then it's best to call the Mass Dept of Revenue.
What if it's not "regularly," though? This is the only con all year that I'll be selling at, and it's not something I do yearly, either.
strawberryquincy
Experienced Poster

tozoku wrote:
Faceman wrote: Selling at the AA for the weekend would fall into "regularly selling tangible personal property." That's at heart why artists are required to have an EIN. You're setting up to sell at an exhibition of sellers, to sell your goods that you created for the express purpose of selling.

What if it's not "regularly," though? This is the only con all year that I'll be selling at, and it's not something I do yearly, either.
I'm not sure if I am in line to be saying this, so don't take my answer as absolute. Just to reiterate what Faceman said, since you are making items specifically FOR sale, instead of say, bringing your manga collection to get rid of the ones you don't read anymore, it turns into a business rather than something more casual (regardless of frequency). Some states like Maryland have temporary licenses if you only sell 3 times out of the year, but Massachusetts (and a LOT of other states) skip over the temporary and would rather have you register as a business instead.

I stated earlier that when I called the DOR he said that you dont HAVE to register, but then you would be showing off your SSN to everyone, and that isn't safe and would probably make the staff uncomfortable as well. It's free, you only have to file for taxes once, so you might as well just register and be safe than sorry ;)
hookedonchibis
Experienced Poster

Post by hookedonchibis »

Did our hookedonchibis e-mail address bounce back as well? We never got an e-mail after "hold on while we figure out the tax stuff." Another artist at Arisia had to tell us to check the forums.
Come check out the Hooked on Chibis! Etsy shop!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

ah, i basically put the info here and on the website, but only specifically notified the people who were DEFINITELY in already (if and when we got phase 2 started) because i figured nobody would want to do the tax stuff until they knew what was going on for sure. sorry.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
hookedonchibis
Experienced Poster

Post by hookedonchibis »

Oh, does that mean my studio isn't in?
Come check out the Hooked on Chibis! Etsy shop!
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

not yet....but you could be. we've had a fair number of people drop out so far because of delays and the tax thing. i'll know better in a few days i think.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004