Calling all Veteran Artists....

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Calling all Veteran Artists....

Post by Tuberat »

I've been going through the stuff for the website this year, and I've been thinking that the Beginners Guide (which was created through the efforts of multiple people, both staff and artists alike) needs an update. not necessarily a total rewrite, but definitelyan update.

1. what would you, in your experience, offer as advice and/or resources to AA newbies?

and

2. would any of you like to make a little 'comic' to add to the fun of reading the Beginners Guide?

currently we have 3 of these comics all done back in 2004 I believe - one by me, one by Tani Person, and one by Ang Costello

Ang was about Buyer/Seller Etiquette
Tani's was about Presentation of your Table
Mine touched on Quality, not Quantity (relating also to amount of table space, and offering commissions and that Fanart is allowed - within reason)

so place your advice/resources here (some may already be covered, but I'm willing to go through them again just in case i missed something the first few times.) and email me if you're interested in tossing in a comic!

Thanks!
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Re: Calling all Veteran Artists....

Post by Kogarashi »

I'm still planning on doing that "time management at your table" comic I mentioned...woah, last year. ::facepalm:: I've got the notes, I just need a break from fan orders to get it done. I can give you a good write-up of the content as well, for the text version of the Beginner's Guide.

Perhaps a section on "Alley survival supplies" would work too? Things to bring for setting up/running/surviving your space? (You know, like snacks, a cash box, display stands, etc., not just the art itself.) And maybe also sections on how to draw customers to your space, and how best to present yourself as a salesperson (so you don't drive customers away with your anti-socialness).
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

not a bad idea - i think i've got some of that, but not all of that, so definitely worth a write up and sending on over :D
thanks!!!
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

No idea if any of these would fall under previous subjects but...

1. Table space. How much do you need? Lately people have been doing very well with matching their product with how much space you need but since these are newbies we're talking about, it should be touched on. Going with less is more, especially where prints are concerned. Obviously if you have only a binder, you only need the minimum space offered on your first try out in the alley, or better yet pair up with another artist with a larger table who can sacrifice a binder's worth of space.

2. Behind the table crowding. Most alleys these days have a limit on how many people can be behind the table at once, but there's nothing really on everything else behind the table (extra product, bags, etc) Basically keeping as much as possible either under the table or in your hotel room and out of the path behind you is really helpful. While there was a ton of space behind us at Anime Boston 2011, I noticed a lot of people just dumping and scattering stuff across the area instead of keeping a clear path for the artists to come and go with ease. Better to kick that habit while they're still young XD Figure out on your first day what stays (displays), what comes and goes with you every day and night (cash box), and what can be brought back to the hotel room after its usefulness at the table is done (luggage case for carrying stuff around)

3. Kogarashi's idea of "Alley Survival Supplies" is a GREAT one.

4. Eating/Drinking section. There are so many artists I know that starve themselves the whole con, which really isn't good. It makes you irritable and overall not fun to interact with when you're a buyer. Grabbing a breakfast (Pool some cash with your group and buy a dozen bagels at Panera or those little boxes of cereal) before you get to the alley, have something light for lunch (granola bars, light pirate's booty, and/or a homemade trail mix usually gets me through), and then either put up a sign at your table saying "BRB Food" and make a noms run, or if there's more than one of you at the table, send one of your minions to get the food (or if you're a newbie chances are you're the minion lol) and you'll survive the weekend. Also. Water. Leave the soda/ramune alone and drink water. Not only is it easier to clean up in accidents, but its better for you.

That's about all I can think of C: Hope that helps
MacX
Veteran Poster

Post by MacX »

Me: What's this? The Artist Alley beacon in the sky!!!
*waaayyy over the top flashy transformation sequence*
*swings his lanyard badge over his head, rests a pencil on his ear, and bust outs the shades*
Me: Artist Alley powerz ACTIVATE!

General:
1. Have realistic expectations: You may do great or you may not for your first try but at least you will learn and take away from the experience.
2. Bring change: Everyone will hand you 20s. Bring $1 and $5s...
3. Get a Square App. It's free and you can take debit and credit cards. I also recommend practicing with it before using it with customers, as it is kinda embarrassing fumbling with it! lol
4. Wear comfy shoes - You will be sitting/standing for prolong hours. I also recommend sandles.
5. COSPLAY: I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand I realize if you wanna dress up and show off your costume, on the other hand, if you have to constantly pose for pics either behind or in front of the table, it may or may not affect your sales. I also recommend that, especially for AA set up, that you just wear normal clothes (seems obvious, but needs to be said).
6. Bathe, brush your teeth, and wear deodorant. Con funk is even worse if your trying to ATTRACT costumers to your table! ;)
7. GET SOME SLEEP. Yes I know you may wanna cut loose after AA closes, especially for Sat since sales can be slow on Sunday. But don’t overdo it, loose your voice, or worse. There’s a world of difference and it will affect your sales.
8. Read the rules and directions on how to get badges, setting up, location, etc etc. Be prepared and you will have a smooth transaction.
9. Get business cards. 100-200 should be fine for a beginner. Go to vistaprints or something.
10. Laugh, have fun, and enjoy yourself. Seriously. A good mood is contagious.

ART Specific:
1. Fan art vs Original: You’re more likely to sell fanart than original at an anime con. But that being said, you shouldn't be discouraged to do original and NON anime related art. I've seen people do well selling stuff like Lady Gaga, Bieber, or colorful ponies.
2. I follow one simple rule: Make and sell stuff that you can’t GET in the Dealer’s room as they are your biggest competition. For example: I sculpt Digimon critters outta clay. It’s rare, popular, and not found in Dealers. Find your market.
3. Have your prices labeled clearly, unless you like saying your prices to a bazillion people! :p
4. Don't over charge and make it a reasonable fair price. Keep in mind some people won't understand the many hours you put in, or would rather pay tons more for 'official stuff'.'

Table Specific:
1. Use ONLY the amount of space you paid for. It's rude to take up space of your neighbors. Bring a tape measure if need be.
2. Build up. If you don't like PVC pipes or those Target crates, I recommend collapsable crates that you can get at most dollar stores. They come in red/blue/yellow but you can cover it with a table cloth. They fold and fit easily to the size of two Ipads on top of one another.
3. Bring table cloths, and a cover to put over your display. It saves u time to have to remove everything from your table just to re-set up the following day.
4. Get UP from your table and take some ‘me time’ to wander and chat up your fellow artists, see a panel, etc . Otherwise you will go insane from being rooted in one spot for so long. It will also refresh your mind and you can come back with more vigor.
5. DO NOT be a bad table partner. That means don't go to a bazillion panels and cosplay shootings, and leave your table neighbors to watch (or worse, SELL) your art. Cuz if ur primarly there to see/do everything, artist alley isn't for you.Take some responsibility. Be courteous, be respectful, and it will go a long way.
6. If you have music, don't make it too loud as it will make talking to your costumers harder, not to mention annoying your AA neighbors.

SELLING:
1. Don't be cocky and rude. Be humble, polite, and thank people for their nice words. And definitely throw a "if you like my art, please take a business card and check me out online" with a courteous smile. :)
2. Do NOT call out to someone else and take away sales from ANOTHER artist. I can understand if you may wanna take a photo of a cosplayer, especially if they may not reach your table, but try to be sensible about this. You wouldn't want that to happen to you and have a potential sale taken away from you do u?
3. If someone is blocking your table and clearly doing it in a way that shows he/she is "just there," ask them to POLITELY move.
4. Read Psycholgy of Influence by Robert Caldini. My friend Naki recommended it to me and it helps get you in the mindset of AA.
5. Be creative in getting people to stop at your table, as you don't always have to be "that person yelling" every five minutes. I stumbled onto the most brilliant way of getting people to my table, without having to say anything... ;) mwahahah

FOOD:
1. Eat one real food meal at the very least. That usually means a late night meal after AA closes at 11 or 12am. Breakfast bagels ftw too!
2. I recommend Macheun Yakisoba Noodles (2 bucks but twice as big as Ramen Cup and more filling). U can use the warm water from the Bathrooms if you can't get access to hot water. Just don't forget to bring some forks and napkins! :)
3. Bring Caffeine. For me it’s two 2 liter Pepsi bottles (higher caffeine than Coke). I don’t recommend Red Bull and other sugary energy drinks due to 'crash factor'
I can sculpt anything out of clay for you. Challenge me.

“I’ve known Macklin for a very long time and I think he is an incredibly talented person.” - Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Pokemon).

Follow me on twitter @ HeyLookASign
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

MacX wrote:3. Have your prices labeled clearly, unless you like saying your prices to a bazillion people! :p
And be prepared to repeat your prices a bajillion times anyway. People rarely read signs. ::sage nod::
snapesgirl34
Expert Poster

Post by snapesgirl34 »

I've noticed a lot of 101 guides are specific to artists who sell prints, even though a lot of artists don't sell pritns and your seeing more and more people who sell jewelry, plushies etc, so it would be nice to include that.

I think the two most important things I've learned from working in artist's alley are

A) Actively engage potential customers. Anyone who has worked in retail knows you need to be friendly and outgoing towards customers and engage them even if they're just browsing (ask them how their con is going, let them know your price info, tell them to let you know if they have any questions). I see way too many artist (usually newbies) who just sort of sit behind the table looking bored and don't greet people when they stop to browse. Even if you don't feel comfortable making small talk or a sales pitch you should at least stand up and look friendly and approachable and smile and greet people when they come over.

B) Be nice to the other artists! These are the people who are going to lend you duct tape in an emergency, lend you a pen when you can't find yours, keep an eye on your table because you can't find your helper and you desperately need to go to the bathroom, and generally offer you advice and support. Yes we're all competing against each other to sell art, but this is still a very friendly and supportive community and most of the artists support and respect each other. I always have a blast in artist alleys because the other artists are so nice and fun and I can't tell you how many times the other artists have helped me out of tight spots or given me valuable advice, and of course I always try to return the favor. I only know two or three artists who've gotten a bad reputation, (and trust me, everyone knows who they are, artists do talk to each other after all), other than that everyone is great.
hookedonchibis
Experienced Poster

Post by hookedonchibis »

Costs (mostly for 3D artists)

Some people have AA tables as a hobby. I have spoken to some artists who are young and have their materials, table and trip costs either completely or partially covered by their parents.

Very few people have AA tables as their day job, but some do. Others are independent adults who sell their work to supplement their income.

When you price your stuff, please think of what it's actually worth and charge that. When you charge $5 for something that took you hours to make, sure you're gonna sell out fast, but you're gonna burn out fast and you're gonna bankrupt other artists who cannot afford to lose the same kinda profits you can. Everyone deserves a wage per hour for their work. Price fairly and you'll ensure this for everyone.

My studio crochets plushies for $20 each. Another artist, who was up stretching her legs, heard this and exclaimed "I charge $20for an entire hat." When I asked her what kind of yarn she used, she said "I don't know, my mom buys it."
Come check out the Hooked on Chibis! Etsy shop!
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

hookedonchibis wrote:When you price your stuff, please think of what it's actually worth and charge that. When you charge $5 for something that took you hours to make, sure you're gonna sell out fast, but you're gonna burn out fast and you're gonna bankrupt other artists who cannot afford to lose the same kinda profits you can. Everyone deserves a wage per hour for their work. Price fairly and you'll ensure this for everyone.
This, definitely. I think I've developed my skills enough to price my fans what they're worth, and (since there really aren't other fan-sellers at the Alley) have gotten to the point where my prices are generally comparable to the other fan-painting artists on Etsy. The last thing I need is someone coming in and completely undercutting my prices for equal quality work just because he/she isn't paying attention, trying to make a decent income on it, or has their costs covered by their parents. If your work is worth it, people will pay it, so why short-change yourself?
okapirose
Determined Poster

Post by okapirose »

Kogarashi wrote:
MacX wrote:3. Have your prices labeled clearly, unless you like saying your prices to a bazillion people! :p
And be prepared to repeat your prices a bajillion times anyway. People rarely read signs. ::sage nod::
When not con-hopping, I work in retail. At a bookstore. No one ever reads any signage no matter how big or clear it is :lol: After AB last year my voice was hoarse for almost a week.

Bring water and throat lozenges.
suriyel
Getting the hang of this...

Post by suriyel »

A little late (and long) but hopefully useful for someone!

GENERAL
- Make nicey nice with your neighbors. Luckily we had IRL friends on both sides of our table so we were able to take a ton of breaks. If you plan to leave them in charge of your table at any point, make sure you show them your inventory setup/cheat sheet for prices/rules/etc!
- Square for credit and debit cards was awesome. Try and set a minimum price to offset fees and to encourage people to buy more :D
- BRING CHANGE! $100 in singles and $100 in fives works very well.
- Butt pillows. The new chairs in 2011 were actually super comfy but just in case, bring a comfy cushion for your booty!
- Rucksack. Every year we bring enough stuff it looks like we’re about to hunker down in a jungle. Suggested General Items, including stuff you’d probably need but might forget. (A lot of this stuff might be redundant; we didn’t stay in a hotel so most of this you will have packed) Advil, Febreeze, iPod w/charger and/or speakers, camera and chargers for it/phones/PSP/DSi/etc, plastic bags for garbage, eyedrops, GIRL items, snacks, water , business cards, hand sanitizer
- Suggested hardware items (even if you’re very nice to your neighbors, too much mooching is annoying): x-Acto blade, utility knife, masking tape, invisible tape, double sided tape, gaffers tape (haha can you tell we like adhesive?), string/zipties/wire, needle nose pliers
- If someone asks you to turn down your terrible techno house music they can hear from halfway across the room, or to stop screaming “Ancient Chinese Secrets” and the like, please do it. It’s been a long day of nonstop talking and that is NOT helping.
- Take breaks. The activity and socialization are totally great, but it’s important to take a breather from it all before you get burnt out and mean. If you have a table buddy, go to that back stairwell with the closed elevator, sit and listen to some music for a bit.
- THANK THE STAFF. Seriously, they bust a** every year the least you can do is go up to them and tell them it's appreciated <3 <3

ART & TABLE SPECIFIC
(Some of this might sound really minor or anal retentive, but they were enough for us to makes notes about for next year >_>)
- Offer deals. You know, buy one of each for $5, or get 3 for $12. People usually go for it. But only if you’re okay with letting your pieces go at that price.
- You CANNOT HAVE ENOUGH SIGNAGE. Every year, the number if signs we make increases exponentially, listing prices very clearly and on several places (especially up high if there happens to be a crowd and can’t see the tabletop.) Your best bet is to have a price on EACH item or print
- For people selling 3D art, it would be kind of cool if you had a notebook of photos of your items for sale, or even mounted on any tall structures on your table. When it’s really crowded only those who are right at the table can see what’s there, so it would give an idea to others about what your available goodies are!
- Organize your workspace behind the table. It will help all your transactions to go smoothly and will prevent that “oozing” thing some people’s supplies tend to do behind the table.
- If someone nearby has access to electricity, they will probably give you an outlet as long as you ask nicely. Each year, we run a 50ft heavy duty extension cord and a 10 plug surge protector to our area and were happy to loan space to people who asked.
- Don’t let people put drinks and stuff on your table if you don’t want it there!
- If you have stuff that’s very mobile, like loose prints, jewelry, charms, buttons, anchor them down. People will touch, move and jostle things so taping or pinning them down will keep you from having to keep tidying up.

SELLING
- Talk to people. It’s a huge turnoff to go to someone’s table and they’re hunkered behind it drawing and ignoring you ;_;
- Seriously, talk. And not saying you have to do the used car salesman thing, and tell them to buy. Just saying hi and casual chatting helps immensely. Plus we’re all nerds here, might as well make the most of it!
{ See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me. }
-Valentine
Tabikat
Committed Poster

Post by Tabikat »

1. what would you, in your experience, offer as advice and/or resources to AA newbies?

and

2. would any of you like to make a little 'comic' to add to the fun of reading the Beginners Guide?

I'm also trying to hit points that Suriyel hasn't already hit because I liked all their points as well!

1. Time management is a big key here because you not only need to know how long something will take you but how much time you need to make them in accordance to the date. It's always good to get things done way ahead of time so you're not panicking so close to the date. Also don't say to yourself, "Oh it's 2 months away" because 2 months can go by quickly. There's also the thing Nicky touched upon and that is quality over quantity, who cares if you have 50 different things if those 50 different things aren't going to sell. I'm not saying don't go out and try to experiment but also try to make it your best work as well.

Put yourself in the customers shoes; who are you selling to and what is popular right now? When One Piece and Naruto were really popular that one year I made Pirates v.s Ninjas original merchandise and it sold because it was generic original but it still appealed to the audience of those two things. Remember we are selling to people usually between the ages of 14-25 so really think about if it was you on the other side of your table and looking at your merchandise.

Think of it as a business so think customer service as well. Business cards are always a plus to have and there are companies out there who will give you deals on batches at an inexpensive cost. Always make sure to put your name, your website (or gallery website like DA, etc), and an e-mail to contact. You can even add a Facebook page or what have you if you want. Make sure the card is readable but still appealing because after the convention is said and done, people will look at those cards to check out your sites. Seriously having business cards was a great thing for me.

Customer service is important as well, people will remember if you were friendly or not. People also feel more inclined to deal with friendly artists who don't make them feel nervous. So be friendly but not overly friendly or in their face. If they don't buy anything at that point then that is fine, but being friendly and welcoming might have them tell people word of mouth about you. Word of mouth is a great generator of publicity too; trust me I've heard about rude people at the cons more than enough and I've also heard people say they don't feel as inclined supporting rude artists either.

Be friendly to your neighbors; they are in there to work too and you should focus on your table and not on theirs. That definitely means no shouting over at customers who happen to be looking at your neighbor's table (Honestly I heard one year about this happening and it really made me mad, it's incredibly rude and intolerable.) Wait your turn. You'd be surprised who you could meet as well, I met some incredibly nice and wonderful artists who were my neighbors during the years.

2. That would sound like so much fun.
Sarah Interrobang
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sarah Interrobang »

Two Words: STAND UP.

It's really hard to engage people in conversation when you're not at eye level. It's harder to make eye contact in a chair. It's easier to space out when you're looking out at everyone's belly button. You had plenty of time to do art at home or when you're livestreaming or whatever. You've only got three days to connect with people!

So stand up! Stay energized! Wave hello! Smile! Show the amount of enthusiasm about your works that you'd like to see in your table's visitors!

The poster up above who said that a positive vibe is infectious was super-right. Con is fun. You are fun. Your stuff also feels fun. Therefore, buying your stuff = bringing home con fun.

yes yes yes.

Oh, also? If you're going to stand for three days, wear comfy shoes. </your mom>
strawberryquincy
Experienced Poster

Post by strawberryquincy »

okapirose wrote:
Kogarashi wrote:
When not con-hopping, I work in retail. At a bookstore. No one ever reads any signage no matter how big or clear it is :lol: After AB last year my voice was hoarse for almost a week.

Bring water and throat lozenges.
1.) This. At smaller cons I notice people read the signs more than larger ones. At otakon I had people looking RIGHT AT the price stickies and they still asked me for the price about 2 times. Just make sure you are patient with people because the fastest way to lose a sale is to be rude or to seem annoyed.

2.) You don't want to over advertise yourself either. Don't call out to specific people when they are halfway across the room just so you can tell them to come over and see your table. I have had this done to me and it made me VERY uncomfortable. However, if people are continuously passing over your table and you wanted to just call out about how you have plushies for sale in hopes of grabbing someone, that is fine if it is done sparingly (you don't want to annoy the people who sit next to you all day). It could help if you have a bad location, as long as you are addressing the general public rather than singling someone out. And DON'T call out at your neighbor's customers or something like that. That is the biggest kick in the face for anyone.

3.) I think it was MacX who mentioned cosplaying behind the table. I have done this before just so that I could go to meetups and I don't recommend it unless it is an outfit that is comfortable and easy to move around in. I've had people come to my table just because of my cosplay and they ended up buying things whereas they probably would have passed over me if I was in regular clothes. IF I cosplay I will usually go regular clothes on Friday, cosplay on Saturday, and regular clothes on Sunday. Remember, you will have to be able to move freely so be wise with your cosplay choice. You don't want to be stiff or have small parts of your costume catching on parts of your table.

4.) Display is everything. If your display is bad then it will make your work look bad as well. You want to make your work look AWESOME, even better than it already is! Play around with setup and where things will go beforehand so that once you get to con you aren't stuck for ideas.
MacX
Veteran Poster

Post by MacX »

strawberryquincy wrote: 3.) I think it was MacX who mentioned cosplaying behind the table. I have done this before just so that I could go to meetups and I don't recommend it unless it is an outfit that is comfortable and easy to move around in. I've had people come to my table just because of my cosplay and they ended up buying things whereas they probably would have passed over me if I was in regular clothes. IF I cosplay I will usually go regular clothes on Friday, cosplay on Saturday, and regular clothes on Sunday. Remember, you will have to be able to move freely so be wise with your cosplay choice. You don't want to be stiff or have small parts of your costume catching on parts of your table.
A comfortable outfit that you can freely move around in easily is the KEY...I also recommend bringing a sweater/shaw/etc as it can be quite cold in AA when the AC is running. And I agree completely on 'leaving the cosplay home' for Sunday...u got to repack it all up and move out at the end so it may be more hassle than its worth. :/ I have a Sunday costume that can be easily taken off so it works well.

Although I certainly agree that people can be attracted to your table due to your colorful cosplay, I have seen it also work against me. When I was at the NYCC, I was cosplaying as Jackie Chan on Saturday and held up a "One more thing" Uncle sign. It attracted costumers defintely to my side (as well as provided general merriment) but I noticed that they almost focused MORE on my costume than the clay artwork I was selling. In contrast, on Friday and Sun I was in normal clothes and held my 'Hey Look a Sign''...the latter was still accomplished the same goals but the results were different!!!

...I also agree with standing up. Yes you will get tired quicker...but it has great rewards and you are seen as not just another artist who 'hides behind the table'
I can sculpt anything out of clay for you. Challenge me.

“I’ve known Macklin for a very long time and I think he is an incredibly talented person.” - Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Pokemon).

Follow me on twitter @ HeyLookASign
Kikai
Experienced Poster

Post by Kikai »

MacX wrote:
Although I certainly agree that people can be attracted to your table due to your colorful cosplay, I have seen it also work against me.

I can certainly agree with this -- I made the mistake of cosplaying behind my table (Sylvia Christel from No More Heroes 2) once at acen. Instead of attracting customers, I attracted creepy men who just tried to hit on me. Unless you are wearing the items you sell (bonnets, lolita items, etc.) then I wouldn't do the cosplaying.
strawberryquincy
Experienced Poster

Post by strawberryquincy »

Kikai wrote:I can certainly agree with this -- I made the mistake of cosplaying behind my table (Sylvia Christel from No More Heroes 2) once at acen. Instead of attracting customers, I attracted creepy men who just tried to hit on me. Unless you are wearing the items you sell (bonnets, lolita items, etc.) then I wouldn't do the cosplaying.
The creepy men will come whether or not you are in cosplay though, it is something that is unavoidable at ANY con, though oddly enough I've heard many people and most of my friends say they've gotten creeped on at acen specifically (both cosplay and non). I don't know if they just have more creeps or if it's just a strange coincidence or WHAT @n@ Actually I find cosplay a safe haven because I usually crossplay as a dude and then no one knows whether to make heads or tails of me XD I've never actually had a cosplay that lost me sales though. It was either average sales or a bit higher, but that is speaking from my personal experience over the past 3 years.
Amu-Chan128
Veteran Poster

Post by Amu-Chan128 »

i will try to wear my regular clothes. but the stuff im going to be doing at ab. its impossible to get out of cosplay. so i will try my best to not wear cosplay during it on one of the days
~Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.~FM~

so good luck and have fun and do your best to stay in character.
Happy Cosplaying ^_^

l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ Meow!RAWR
skim
Experienced Poster

Post by skim »

1. fanart sells better than original stuff for prints. Prints overall did not seem to do well for unknown people
2. comic books do not sell well (may not be worth the effort)
3. buttons sell well (1" 2" 3".. all good!)
4. Bring a pretty tablecloth & xmaslights if you have electricity at your table.
5. dress comfortably.
6. I saw folks bring cheap wire shelves (the kind that look like cubed-shaped cages with plastic pucks that hold them together) to maximize their shelf space. Also if you're selling dolls/shirts/bookmarks, I think this looks good.
7. You will be tired. Don't think you'll have time to draw at night. (in other words, take commissions, but don't rush to try to get them done during the convention. It may not work out.)

Most important
8. make sure to have friends you can call up or have visit you often so that you can go to the bathroom or get food or go check out a panel you may be interested in.
Original comic "Morie the Witch" Issue 1 Issue 2 ;) available as a BOOK only.
facebook.com/skimlines | skimlines.deviantart | skimlines on tumblr!
Jronicaing
I'm new!

Post by Jronicaing »

Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

Jronicaing wrote:When not con-hopping, I work in retail. At a bookstore. No one ever reads any signage no matter how big or clear it is :lol: After AB last year my voice was hoarse for almost a week.
I'll second this. Go ahead and make the signs for anyone who does actually read them, and for anyone you have helping out at your space, but be prepared to tell everyone the info on the signs anyway and don't let your annoyance show. It's just part of the business.

Here's another suggestion: think of a unique display method that works for your table. You don't have to get the wire cubes, nor do you need to go with the same huge professional signage or Christmas lights or huge PVC pipe frame. Go with what works for you. I know I prefer it when I see a wide variety of displays in the Alley, especially if people get creative. I saw someone use cute cupcake trays to hold some of her work. Other people get small wooden shelves to stack together. I put some of my painted fans on fan stands on the top of my display (anchored down, of course, so they wouldn't tip if the table was bumped). I saw someone a few years ago who had a fun, wild heap of her small plush creatures for people to paw through. So find something that works for you and don't get a display method just because everyone else uses it.
Tabikat
Committed Poster

Post by Tabikat »

skim wrote:1. fanart sells better than original stuff for prints. Prints overall did not seem to do well for unknown people
2. comic books do not sell well (may not be worth the effort)

This is quite true and a lot of it is more on the selling point; prints and comics tend to be more expensive and harder to carry around than buttons/etc. Prints can still do well though and I have seen some really good original prints that sell out.
skim wrote: 6. I saw folks bring cheap wire shelves (the kind that look like cubed-shaped cages with plastic pucks that hold them together) to maximize their shelf space.
Hahaha, that was totally my table that year. We make an archway with those things and the open back of the cubes faces us so we can use the shelving to store our products/supplies.
masterofplush
Determined Poster

Post by masterofplush »

I don't think I am a vet yet but I was reading through this and I saw there wasn't a whole lot on things like plushies and hats so I figured I would add some.

-It is better to go smaller and simpler, most people are not willing to spend 50+ on a plushie but are much more willing to spend 5-30$. Though if one wishes have large plushies, but don't expect them to sell.
-Try and make things the dealers room would not have (I know this has been mentioned above but...) as it is very hard to compete with them.
-Try to avoid anything too generic, it probably won't sell very well.
-Don't be too upsets if people don't by some of your larger items at con, many people don't wish to spend that much AT con, be sure to hand out business cards and you'll probably sell some on line.
-This is for really any 3D artist but think of creative ways to use your space and build upwards, especially if you have a smaller table. You will save yourself a headache of trying to fit everything on in a four foot space.
Come check out our cute plushies and cool art at Fluffy Kitten Studios
Shunhades
I'm new!

Post by Shunhades »

As I stated in the request for table space thread. It would be my first time selling at a con if I do manage this. BUT, I should also clarify that when I said this, I more so meant that I was not selling myown items. I've actually assisted a friend with selling her own works. So I do actually have artist alley experience in this sense. Just not having the experience of selling my own work. That being said I'd like to give my own input of my own experience from when I helped my friend.

1. If you have an assistent to help you with your table. And as someone else mentioned, though it was for a table mate. Don't leave your assistent at your table to watch/sell your stuff all day. They are there to enjoy the con just like you, so be fair. And don't guilt your assistent/tablemate to watch/sell your stuff so you can do something. I had this issue with a friend of my friend once, where I went to do something and came back an hour later, and he was saying how I was being selfish for going off to enjoy some of the con for that hour. So I feel this is important to be mentioned. And of course falls under respect. If you and your assistent both want to enjoy the con, I found setting up a schedule between both people is a great way to get around things. So if there's something you want to do, discuss it with one another. Fair warning depending on how it works out, someone may have to give up something they wanna see, or close shop for that time. But it works well.

2. And people may find this weird. But it's on the topic of food. When we were at a con, i'd bring a cooler to told food, and keep drinks cold. This worked well for saving money. Because i'd make sandwiches and have drinks ready and waiting for if we were hungry. But I also will make it known, that one year this went unappreciated. So here's my suggestion. If your going to bring a cooler and are sharing a table with a tablemate. DO NOT bring an oversized cooler. A small one will work just fine, and get you through the day. After all you don't need a 9 course meal for one or two people. Before you go about the cooler idea, talk with your assistent if you have one. That way you can decide if bringing one is worth it. Or if you'd be okay with simple snacks. Of course be polite to your tablemate if your sharing a space with them. In other words if they ask you if they can put their drinks or something in there, be nice about it. You don't have to share if you don't want to. But you don't have to be mean about it either. Personally, when I take a cooler, I try to put it where it won't be a bother to anyone (Or even use it as a foot rest ahahaha). And bring spare drinks to share because I know how hot it gets in AA. And trust me, your table mate may be appreciative to even get a bottle of water, or atleast the use of your cooler to keep their stuff cold.

3. If your going to wear a cosplay, make sure it does not bother your tablemate. Meaning if you have long sleeves like a geisha kimono, tie them back so they are out of the way. Or better yet, wear a cosplay that won't interfere with your sales. Cosplays you can hardly move in, are not the best thing to wear when your trying to sell your products. And of course, it can be a bother to your tablemate. You may accidentally ruin some of their works when reaching over or something. So if you must, wear something that won't affect either of you, or wear normal clothes. I know it's not fun to do this, but better to have that show of respect for your tablemate, and being able to move, than to be in a cosplay that could interfere with what your doing.

4. This one maybe a strange one to some people, but it happens. Long wigs. Not everyone is used to wearing a long wig, and fiddles with it constantly. If you are one of these people, I recommend either tying the wig back or using a clip to keep it out of the way. Or teaching yourself not to mess with it continously. Why am I mentioning this? Because I remember at once con a girl was fiddling with her wig alot. This caused people to wait on her to get her fingers free, and not only that, she'd sometimes flip her wig (ya know, the hair flip), to get it out of her way, thus disturbing her tablemate, everytime her wig hit the other person. She wasn't intentionally hitting the other person, she was just trying to get it out of the way when it'd fall over her shoulder. But I feel this was a necessary mention because i've seen this on many occastions.

5. Keep FRAGILE items closer to you. People WILL bring their children. Not all children who are not taught not to touch things that they shouldn't. So if you don't want your more fragile merchandise to be broken. Keep them in the very least, several inches away from the edge of the front of the table. This also applies as people may accidentally bump into the table. Let's not mutilate those figures those of you who do them worked so hard on. =>

6. Another odd one. I will admit. This one streams from the fact that I am hypoglycemic. I know someone mentioned to drink water and only water because it's healthy and easier to clean. And I totally agree with them. It's wonderful advice. But if you are like me, and at a busy con, you may find yourself in a situation where you can't immediately get something to alleviate this. In the very least, bring one emergency soda or sugary drink to your liking. I say this because again AA CAN get hot, and crowded. And if your hypoglycemia is like mine, you may need some sugar in your system, even if you've eaten a meal and drank enough fluids. I've had many instances where i'd had a proper healthy meal and water, and nearly passed out on the spot because my sugar levels had drop signficantly due to the heat of an AA room. And it took forever for me to get something into my system. So if you have this issue like I do. BE PREPARED. I'd recommend a simple chocolate bar, but in my experience they can melt unless you have something to prevent that.

7. If your gonna wear long fake nails. Make sure you can actually mind your table without needing constant assistence. There are some who can wear long fake nails and go about their day like it's their natural nails. But this is for those who may have them on for a cosplay and find it awkward. If you find you can't go about your sales smoothly. TAKE THEM OFF. People will still appreciate your cosplay (If your in one) without them.

That's all the tips I have from my own experience of helping to assist at AA. I hope some find them useful, or atleast gives them an idea on some thing that may/may not have been covered by someone before me.

Of course as always, have fun! This is VERY important. =P