Portfolio Review Panel

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
minakichan
Experienced Poster

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by minakichan »

This idea kind of came from another topic here, but what would people think of an AnimeBoston panel for artists to just meet up to share their art and give each other suggestions on improving skills, or tips and tricks? Sort of like mutual portfolio reviews. It could easily be part of Art Track or something. I'm not con staff (and I'm not even in the Alley, just waiting list), so it's just an idea, but if people are up for it, we could talk to the Alley staff or submit it as a panel or something.

I think it'd be pretty informative. What do people think?
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by Bettina Marie »

Would definitely be a great idea for AB 2012, as the Panel Submissions time period has already passed as of Friday night :P

Again, though, I am MORE than willing to do portfolio reviews at my AA table throughout the weekend and can certainly post signs at my table announcing such, since it is too late to do something official thru AB2011 panels and such.

I have submitted to do a few panels again this year (Inside Manga:Creating Process and Inside Manga: Character Design) and can make announcements there as well pertaining to doing portfolio reviews at designated times...so yea...if anyone wants to join me, feel free! Though, again, it's too late to request a room to do so and such...

tis a thought and all and open to suggestions :D
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
Tuberat
AB Staff

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by Tuberat »

i have actually tried to arrange this two years running - i was calling it "Artists Alley After hours" because i wanted to do it AFTER the AA closed so that anyone who wanted to go could - but then, that became a scheduling problem since after the AA closes is around the same time that most of our access to rooms are done for the night and there just aren't enough rooms to cover everything.

the question then becomes - would there still be enough interest from artists if we did it DURING AA hours, and who would be running it? I'm usually glued to the AA, as is my Art Track Coordinator....
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by Bettina Marie »

Again...I certainly wouldn't mind helping to run it...but, as with you, I'm glued to my table all day :P

Is there anyways we can maybe secure a room in the Sheraton to do so during AA after hours? Tis a possibility if we can get a room. :D
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
Tuberat
AB Staff

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by Tuberat »

at the availability of rooms, someone would have to use a personal room, or we'd have to pay for one just for the purpose - in either case, they wouldn't be official panels.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
kateison
Experienced Poster

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by kateison »

I'd be totally down for this.

As for running it during AA, I like Bettina's idea of having willing artists put up signs at their tables (or something to that effect) and offering to meet with people for even 10 minutes or so.

And even if we did it after AA, perhaps a table could be set up in a hall somewhere (or we all go sit in a circle and pow-wow)? I think I remember reading that putting stuff up in halls wasn't possible though...

I wouldn't mind volunteering to assist if this comes to fruition, even though I haven't got a table.
Anybody who sucks in here?
...anybody with a hunger for flesh?

AB since 2007, AA since 2012.
tumblr, Twitter.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by Kogarashi »

I assume it's the content of the portfolios and not the construction of them that's being reviewed here. ;) (Basically, critiquing the art, not how well put-together the portfolio is?) I would love to help out too, though only during Alley hours as I won't be in the con after-hours. I like the idea of participating artists putting up a sign advertising when they're doing reviews.
mystcloud
Experienced Poster

Portfolio Review Panel

Post by mystcloud »

I'm certainly not a professional manga/anime/comic artist but I went through art school and am a professional artist/animator at a video game studio, so I'm not sure how qualified I am but I'd be willing to do some portfolio review stuff, though I tend to be really busy during alley hours just trying to keep my table going(especially if I don't have a helper, hopefully I'll have one this con!). I'm not sure what my availability would be after the alley closes (as i need to take the train home so i can't be staying too late downtown) but i'll keep an eye on how this thread goes.