Ball Jointed Dolls (selling, pricing, etc)

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Blitzava
Expert Poster

Post by Blitzava »

So I typically bring a handful of dolls with me for my table anyway to provide some entertainment for the passers-by (nothing like small posable things to make people stop and poke at things lol)

Average price of things at my table (little clay stuffs, jewelry, bookmarks, buttons, etc) not including commissions is about $5-$10. My dolls when I sell them...are not really anywhere close to that...

However this year I'd actually like to officially sell the dolls I bring...particularly my newest doll "Rocky" who is considerably cheaper than my other guys...

Rocky has a basic version http://blitzava.deviantart.com/gallery/ ... 8#/d332d9b

and an OOAK sculpted on version
http://blitzava.deviantart.com/gallery/ ... 8#/d339sy2

The basic version is $65-$70 (depending on color)
The OOAKs are $85-$100 (depending on detailing)

Considering I'd expect that price range to be much higher than the average younger con-goer's budget (I'm targeting the doll fandom actually, not the younger anime fan) I'm wondering how many to bring or which ones? The basics are cheaper but the OOAK ones are finished and therefore come across as more attractive....

What do you think?
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

if i was you, dont bring to many at most bring like 4 maybe? things that cost over $20-30 can sometimes be hard to sell, so i dont recommend you making so many and putting all your money into them to find that at the end of the day you are left with a lot left over. so, id bring a few, and then when people are interested also say you can do commission/custom ones. Then later after the convention people might contact you online with commission requests.

Its not that people wouldn't want to buy them, they are amazing! its just sometimes people dont want to spend that much on one thing at a convention. sometimes they budget there self to a certain amount of money and will only buy little things through out the weekend. so id take a few which may probably sell the most and also use them as advertising. ^-^

i hope this helped alittle?
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Burnhym1]so, id bring a few, and then when people are interested also say you can do commission/custom ones. Then later after the convention people might contact you online with commission requests.[/quote]

I second this. Bring a small handful to sell (slightly more of the basic than the sculpted, since they're cheaper), then plan to show photos or hang onto one when the others sell to show off and take orders/commissions.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

Bring Business Cards and be prepared because most anime Con goers are reluctant to actually have the cash to buy dolls on the spot, but showcasing your commission and doll making skills could stir up later requests for commissions!
Wolfie Pie
Expert Poster

Post by Wolfie Pie »

You came to the doll meet last year, yes? I remember a bunch of the people at the Boston BJD group saying they thought your dolls were really cool, me included. Personally, I'd love to get one of your wolves/foxes (if you're still making them). >w<

I think you should bring a few of each type. I saw some pretty expensive things in artists alley over the years, but I'd definitely spring for one of your dolls if you brought them.
AB congoer since 2006!
Find me on Instagram @pastelcrayfish
AB24 Cosplans:
Genya Shinazugawa (Demon Slayer) Friday+Saturday
Takashi Mitsuya (Tokyo Revengers) Thursday+Sunday
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

it wasnt me with wolves and foxes :) I have quite a few 27cm obitsus and I do take commissions for 27cm obitsus with face up clothes and hair starting at 100.00

my dolls are all of my original charas and I'll have them on display at my table.
Blitzava
Expert Poster

Post by Blitzava »

I do make the little wolves and foxes. I have more space to work with this year than I've had in the past (I usually shared space with a few other people. This year I'm solo). I think what I'll do is have 2 or 3 fully customized dolls, maybe a blank or too for decoration. They will be for sale if someone wants them but I'll bring them more to have pretty things on the table to attract people. Dragons seem to do that well lol