Is there any way to get Tokyo Pop to come back for Portfolio reviews?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

We had this once, say I think in 05 or 06. I was wondering if it was possible to get them (Or maybe some of their artists) to come in and do a portfolio review?

I also am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm gonna start off here.

For those of you who missed it in years past, they had an editor / publisher from Tokyo pop reviewing both comics, prints, and even sketchbook sketches. She gave praises and critiques, especially on how to hone your work and get it ready for publishing.

Just wondering if we could get this together for 2011?

pulsedemon
Screw the rules, I have 5,000 posts!

Post by pulsedemon »

That was part of a contest/promotion they were doing at the time. It might be worth doing something like that if we get a guest in that line of work, but I wouldn't count on something specifically like that happening again.
Christian Daly, Director, Exhibits Division, Anime Boston

Look out! It's my last.fm profile!
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

i know they are doing something like it at anime expo 2011, hopefully the size of AB will attract some attention and incent them to come.

Though what about reaching out to actual art schools, like ones that offer animation illustration degrees. Off the top of my head I know Art institute of boston has a good program. I am sure there are others.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=marikotoeii]We had this once, say I think in 05 or 06. I was wondering if it was possible to get them (Or maybe some of their artists) to come in and do a portfolio review?

[/quote]

Bettina Kurkoski is a TokyoPop artist and an AA veteran ;) maybe she wouldn't mind.
turpentiney
Veteran Poster

Post by turpentiney »

That. Would. Be AWESOME. I always wanted a professional opinion, not just my friends and family who would say I was great even if I stunk x3
AB 14:
Armin Arlert
(進撃の巨人/Attack on Titan)
Mirai Kuriyama (境界の彼方/Beyond the Boundary)
Yui Komori (DIABOLIK LOVERS)
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

yea i havent had a review since 05 or 06. id really like to know what more needs to be done to get my artork up to professional grade. (i should add I am making comics)
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Post by Bettina Marie »

I would love to do portfolio reviews at AB! :D

Especially if AB invited me as a Guest Artist again! ~_^ *winkwinknudgenudge*

Either way, I know that TP will more likely than not NOT send editors or representatives to do portfolio reviews at AB as they've really REALLY cut down on a LOT of cons they normally did, with 2006 being the last year that someone other than a TP creator (aka me! XD;;) attended AB...in which case, the last time they actually had an editor there for portfolio reviews was 2005 (which was my awesomepossum editor that did such XDehe)

So yea...tis all a thought...and I really don't mind setting up to do scheduled portfolio reviews, but it will be dependent on whether or not I can secure the currently elusive AA table XD;;;

Though...I MIGHT be able to set something up with the Panels Organization department and schedule a room and time in amongst the panels I'll do in place of the AA table if it falls thru :P
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
kateison
Experienced Poster

Post by kateison »

Oh man, this would be pretty spectacular.

As for schools with strong animation/comic programs, Ringling (for animation), SCAD (comics), and SVA (also comics), are the ones I'm familiar with. Not sure if this is accurate, just what I've heard.
Anybody who sucks in here?
...anybody with a hunger for flesh?

AB since 2007, AA since 2012.
tumblr, Twitter.
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Post by Bettina Marie »

[quote=kateison]Oh man, this would be pretty spectacular.

As for schools with strong animation/comic programs, Ringling (for animation), SCAD (comics), and SVA (also comics), are the ones I'm familiar with. Not sure if this is accurate, just what I've heard. [/quote]

And for those REALLY serious comic art students, there's the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art! :D

Though I personally went to UMass-Dartmouth and majored in Illustration and studied sequential art on my own BEYOND my heavy class/studio work XDehe

But! For an update, I WILL have a table in AA this year...most likely will be doing a few panels as well...and will see about scheduling a few portfolio reviews throughout the AB2011 weekend ^_^V

also...in the meantime, I can certainly as my editor to see if there's any possible way of getting someone from the TOKYOPOP offices to come and do portfolio reviews and stuff...perhaps even arrange to do something together and the like :D am not holding my breath on that though :P

minakichan
Experienced Poster

Post by minakichan »

Just to add a bit to this topic, I asked Bettina for a portfolio review two or three years ago and it was very helpful =D

Also, I'm not a Tokyopop creator, but I did manage to make it into Rising Stars of Manga 8, if that counts for anything. If Bettina doesn't mind, I'd love to help out on this =D
Sarah Interrobang
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Sarah Interrobang »

[quote=Bettina Marie]
also...in the meantime, I can certainly ask my editor to see if there's any possible way of getting someone from the TOKYOPOP offices to come and do portfolio reviews and stuff...perhaps even arrange to do something together and the like :D am not holding my breath on that though :P[/quote]

To increase its likelihood, (ha ha. budgets, wow). I can also ask my contacts at Tokyopop. If the folks over there are hearing the plea from multiple sources, ...and get a table out of it... *dealer's room + badges?* They'd be more likely to spend the air fare and the product freight from CA.

Doubtful, yes. But certainly not if no one asks. ;)
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Post by Bettina Marie »

[quote=Sarah Interrobang][quote=Bettina Marie]
also...in the meantime, I can certainly ask my editor to see if there's any possible way of getting someone from the TOKYOPOP offices to come and do portfolio reviews and stuff...perhaps even arrange to do something together and the like :D am not holding my breath on that though :P[/quote]

To increase its likelihood, (ha ha. budgets, wow). I can also ask my contacts at Tokyopop. If the folks over there are hearing the plea from multiple sources, ...and get a table out of it... *dealer's room + badges?* They'd be more likely to spend the air fare and the product freight from CA.

Doubtful, yes. But certainly not if no one asks. ;)[/quote]

Unless a bookstore is willing to host Tokyopop in the Dealers Room, again, the likelihood of them coming is VERY VERY slim. The ONE year they WERE at Anime Boston, Borders had and hosted a booth for Tokyopop, so they didn't bring their own setup and merchandise.

And again, I can honestly say, considering I've asked and discussed it many times with my editor, that TP won't be coming to AB2011 in the Dealers Room...also taking into consideration that they weren't set up at New York Comic Con this year as they were in previous years, and that's a HUGE con! They've GREATLY reduced their list of conventions that they do set up and sell at and seem only to limit themselves now to west coast/California cons :P

Again, I can ask my editor about seeing if she'd be able to trek out here for portfolio reviews, as am sure she'd love to to visit family while out here as well since she's from Massachusetts, but am not holding my breath unfortunately :(

Sarah Interrobang

:) Bettina, we seem to agree it's unlikely. But for what it's worth (and I probably should have been clearer), my day job involves working with Tokyopop on a national distribution level. Moving their books around is what I do--only with their green light, of course--and you're very right that it's doubtful they would go for this. But with your appeal to through their editor, and a phone call this afternoon, we can at least get them thinking about it as a possibility for 2012.

Best of luck at your table this year! :D
Sarah Interrobang

Sorry to doublepost, but I'm not sure the best etiquette for getting in touch with mods on this one.

I spoke with my contact at Tokyopop today. She's their current Director of Sales and Distribution, and she agreed to open up the lines of communication with the staff here at AnimeBoston to see what was feasible for 2011. (Failing that, perhaps 2012). [color:red]Can someone please note me with the proper email addresses, titles and names of the folks my gal should be talking to?[/color]

Perhaps programming? Guests? Dealers' room?

I don't know, honestly. Whoever you guys would feel is appropriate. I'll do an introductory email then cross my fingers that things might work out for everyone!

marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

It depends on in what context they are looking to attend.

This is a listing of the staff contacts available on the web site:

http://www.animeboston.com/about/staff_listing/

If they want to come and sell their titles, they will need to speak to the Exhibits Director

To arrange time for a Portfolio Review Panel they will need to talk to the Panel Coordinator / Programming Manager.

If they are looking to come as guests (this is where the issues of "comps" would come in) Then that is guest relations.

I would suggest that you first speak with your conterpart at Tokyo Pop and draft a proposal letter of what you would like to do, what you will need or would like from the con for coming to do it, and then submit that to the executive levels of the relevant staff departments, maybe even the con chair since TP is such a large part of the fandom.

I have a lot of experience courting different conventions in these quid pro quo situations. I would advise you to keep in mind that with cons, money and space are often a premium, so keep that in mind when you outline what TP would need for them to come.

Free Badges are easier to barter for then free airfare and hotel space.

I wish you luck and I hope there can be something worked out!

And also TP would be scouting talent as well! There are a number of us who would be more than willing and able to turn out books lol