How much would you be willing to pay for synthetic dreads at a convention?

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

i make/sell synthetic dreads, alot of them are dreadfalls. Some of you may not know what those are but either way u can just go to one of my links to find out (take to long to explain it).

but those who know what they are and how much they normal go for, how do u think i should price them. they take a long time and alot of labor is put into making them. some colors cost more then others and it depends of how many i make in general. but i was wondering would people buy them around like $40ish dollers for like a pair of dread falls?

if you dont know already, dreads are not cheap. this is the cheapest u will probably ever find them i know many people sell them for $100-200, but i feel that is unreasonable and no one wants to pay that at a convention.

i will work this out either way but i want to here the customers/other artists opinions. if u don't know how much work is put into them then u may think they are over priced but it takes hours/day/weeks to make them and u get alot of burns in the process because u have to use high heat steamers. so please bear with me and if u have any input let me know.
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Post by FluffC »

Oh man, I used to make and wear synth dreads. They really do take forever, and it's easy to burn yourself D:
For pricing... it kind of depends on a lot of factors, right? Like... single vs. double fall, how many dreads are in each fall, the length, if it's layered or has extra colors and swirls and and and... D:
I'd say the lowest price I've ever seen is $40... for two short falls, 3 colors, (one base color, two accents), double ended dreads all the same length... and I think there were 15 dreads in each fall (DE's though, so that makes it 30?)

The most expensive I've seen was $300... for super long, layered, double falls.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

ya it gets pretty complicated but i try to keep my business pretty cheap cuz i know people these days dont want to and cant spend that much on accesories for ur hair. the cheapest ive been going is around $45 dollars for medium 14in pair of around 30 SE sumthin in each fall so like 60-70 dreads all together which is pretty damn good, u almost cant find that anywhere else!

but i dont think many people know how the dread industry can be and they might see this as being pricy so idk how many people would buy them :/. ive seen people at anime boston sell cyberlox for around the same (though it doesnt take like half as much work) and they were selling theres pretty well so im just hoping it would do good.

plus the more colors i use/ have to order the more expensive it gets because some colors i can go down to my beauty supply store and get while others i need to get shipped to me which costs more. so its hard.

i don't want to over price but i cant under price either, i just need some suggestions from people so i know how much they would spend up to.

i want to make it reasonable/affordable but i also need to make some money out of this @_@.

mine are really good quality too sealed tight with a steamer and backcombed enough so they cant easily come undone.
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

i just want to know how much YOU would pay for my dreads. just shoot some numbers out there, so i have something to work with.

if u need examples click one of my links below
xFantom
Experienced Poster

Post by xFantom »

I've been looking for new dread falls and can't find any good ones around here =/ If you were to sell some at AB I'd probably buy them. Just keep in mind that other vendors sell them too. For example, last year people sold them for $30.
Also, do you happen to make dread wigs?
Past cosplays: Raven(Teen Titans), Road(DGM), Alois(Kuroshitsuji), Bel(KHR!), Madoka(PMMM), Kau(TnC), Mikasa(SnK), Aoba(DMMd)
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

well the other vendors your talking about sell cyberlox (made from a different material. cyberlox are made from crinoline which is cheaper than synthetic hair and takes alot less work.) and i have seen some yarn ones. anyway way i can make dread wigs. and im not planning on pricing my dreads at AB to high but i do have to price them to the point i make some profit. either way i tend to keep my dreads pretty cheap compared to other dread makers and i am often willing to negotiate on price :].

im going to have dreads of all different colors and patterns there, and they will be way cheaper buying them there then buying them from me online because then you dont have to worry about the shipping cost :D!

if your intrested, feel free to check out my site ^-^ i dont bite
xFantom
Experienced Poster

Post by xFantom »

Actually, I have cyberlox and I wanted dreads to go with it^^ The ones they were selling last year were kanekalon fiber mixed with yarn. I'm not a big fan of yarn haha. But I'll definitely check out your site right now, and I'll most likely buy dreads from you :)
Past cosplays: Raven(Teen Titans), Road(DGM), Alois(Kuroshitsuji), Bel(KHR!), Madoka(PMMM), Kau(TnC), Mikasa(SnK), Aoba(DMMd)
Burnhym1
Determined Poster

Post by Burnhym1 »

oh lol i geuss i didnt see them. and ya yarn is lower quality, when i do make yarn ones they are really low prices but i honestly dont prefer to make yarn ones, and if i dont have to i really dont want to XD

feel free to look around! :]
all dreads done by me are made with 100% kanekalon
and we are eventually going to make cyberlox, fringes, braid falls, and dread wigs,...only reason we haven't is because we have had no customers asking for that yet and have not had the time to pre-make them yet. (order always come first) lol