Art Auction Question

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
ewelinasaurus
I'm new!

Art Auction Question

Post by ewelinasaurus »

Last year in the corner there were some really impressive works that were part of the auction. I was thinking of including some pieces this year but I wanted to know about people's experiences with that in previous years.
I couldn't stick around to see the results but I'm curious how much of the work was sold. I was selling some originals at my table but people were only buying prints.

Is there interest in purchasing original work?
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Art Auction Question

Post by cwong617 »

Yes, would it be possible to do so, it would be a huge hit for the Art Room.
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Art Auction Question

Post by SailorAstera »

One of my drawings was bid up to $35 but then the seller never showed up so I ended up getting it back :(

In general I think people are more likely to bid on something they like in the show than buy directly at the table. It's something about not having to deal with the sale that seems to make them confident in making an offer I think
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
ewelinasaurus
I'm new!

Art Auction Question

Post by ewelinasaurus »

Aw bummer about the person not coming back :(

That's a good point though. There's less pressure to make up your mind if you can linger around and stare at the picture without the artist sitting right there making puppy eyes at you xD Never really thought about that before.
mystcloud
Experienced Poster

Art Auction Question

Post by mystcloud »

while i've never put art in the auction at animeboston I have put it up in other cons and sold a few pieces that way, i had one go for $50 i think. If you do put artwork up it's always good to put a mat on it, makes it look a little nicer and doesn't cost as much as a frame.
okapirose
Determined Poster

Art Auction Question

Post by okapirose »

Does anyone know where the money goes? Do we get it or does the money go to the charity?

No idea if I'm thinking of this con or another that does this @_@
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Art Auction Question

Post by SailorAstera »

Afaik the artist who made the work gets the money minus some cut for the Art Show (maybe it was like 20% or something?).

But Anime Boston did have another auction/show that was for charity! I just remembered that I donated to that last year...
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
okapirose
Determined Poster

Art Auction Question

Post by okapirose »

Okay thanks :D
look
Getting the hang of this...

Art Auction Question

Post by look »

I always do well in otakons auctions. I tried AB's auction last year, one out of 3 pieces was sold. But the buyer was a friend and had always buy my stuffs before, so can't really use that to measure AB's auction sale.