About Anonymous

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Tuberat
AB Staff

About Anonymous

Post by Tuberat »

So i HAVE been reading all the feedbacks, both good and bad (and the thanks as well - thanks!) and i can promise that we will be attempting to fix what we can....like i said, about half of the problems we had were directions to the facilities NOT being followed...so...we dunno whats up with that.

But, i wanted to get into one particular thing.

A lot of people seem to be quite upset by the fact that anybody wants to be [color:red]Anonymous[/color]. While I can't understand promoting yourself as an artist and not wanting to put a name out there, i DO understand there are reasons to remaining anonymous. VERY GOOD ones.

And who am i to say that you can't be anonymous when you've got a stalker who likes to track you to various cons? or have been receiving death threats from idiots? Or that since you work in a professional field in real life that would NOT understand the anime scene and you want to keep your two lives separate so you don't damage your reputation...

wait, as a matter of fact, those are very good reasons for having Pseudonyms and Studio names...among other reasons, many other reasons.

And if i actually outlaw "anonymous" then i WILL also outlaw Pseudonyms, and require real names with the use of Studio names. because the whole reason you're all complaining about the lack of a name is that we 'don't know who we're dealing with'. And that would remain true for anyone using a Pseudonym or a Studio Name. Most people keep the same names from year to year, but there are always a few people who are constantly re-visualizing who they are, and where they're going, trying to figure out the best names for themselves since what they decide on is intended to stick.

please don't forget, that *I* get everyone's real names. If there is an issue, given enough information, i can usually figure things out. and remember, people who were NOT listed as anonymous are just as guilty of the things folks were upset with at con as well - the whole lack of a visible studio/artist name on their table.

It may not even be intentional - if these people are new at being in an AA - no matter how long they've been drawing in their lives - they may not even have thought of putting out business cards. or if this is a hobby, and they don't intend on taking commissions on the side, or own a website, they'd be thinking, what would be the point of business cards?

Business cards are for the sole purpose of networking, getting your name out there, and hopefully drumming up more work. and they may not be sure yet, if they're going to like doing this enough to go forward with that.

The problem is - and i can see your points - but the problem is that i can see completely viable reasons for allowing things to continue as is for the whole "Anonymous/Pseudonym" situation right now, and it doesn't feel right to penalize people who legitimately need/want "Anonymous/Pseudonyms" just for the actions of a handful.

So my [color:red]official[/color] stance, unless the higher ups want to discuss this more with me, is that we are NOT going to be banning this option.
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003