Artist Alley Feedback

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Rox3l »

Okay, so I can't find a thread on this. If there is one, please move the topic.

I only have one real complaint about AA this year. There were a lot of really great booths but the set up was really poor IMO. There had to have been no more then 6 feet of space between the end rows. I had my 1 year old daughter with me and thank god I brought her umbrella stroller, or else I wouldn't have even been able to get into AA.

A lot of moving down the rows was waiting for a big enough gap in the lull of people, or someone nice enough to block traffic to let us pass. Now, I know there are a lot of things going on in the bigger halls, but I am hoping that maybe next year AA can be put in a bigger space? It would really be helpful, as I am sure people really got tired of me running into the backs of their feet ^^;

I also spent a good amount of in the gaming room and there were far less people in there compared with AA, so maybe the rooms could be switched? Just a thought before posting.
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

I noticed this problem as well. The worst was coming back to my space after an excursion to the Dealer's room and literally standing in the middle of the aisle two tables down from my space because no one was moving. Either they were also waiting to move, or were the people blocking our way by crowding around other tables and obliviously blocking the aisle.

I did notice when my partner and I arrived Thursday night that there was a large amount of space for the artists in the center rows. Perhaps the traffic flow could have been improved by scooting the center rows closer together to widen the walking aisles?
Hats
Expert Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Hats »

I noticed this problem as well. However, I'd have to say my biggest complaint was when we went into the hynes to check in on thursday. We were given much grief by the security guard because my badge said artist alley and not staff. :/ Perhaps better communication towards the hynes staff for next year?
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

As we know, Artist Alley cannot be moved into a bigger space. If we expand anymore, the attendee to artist ratio won't be a good one, and even though I had a better year for sales than last year, I noticed a huge difference when they went larger after 2008.

Now that I've completely failed to solve the table spacing issue inside of the room, I'll let actual staff this year answer why they were done so.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Hats]I noticed this problem as well. However, I'd have to say my biggest complaint was when we went into the hynes to check in on thursday. We were given much grief by the security guard because my badge said artist alley and not staff. :/ Perhaps better communication towards the hynes staff for next year?[/quote]

Holy cow, yes. That one guy at the entrance let me in because mine said Artists' Alley, but he tried to stop my table partner whose badge only said "Weekend" but whose name was on the Artists' list because she was, well, an artist. (The space was in my name.) Thankfully, the other security guard at the time actually checked the list when I asked, found my partner's name on it, and let us both through.

Good grief.

And I agree with Ang. Going to a larger space wouldn't be very beneficial, I think. Spacing the rows a bit better so the walking aisles are larger would help more. They were just so cramped.
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

Yeah, there was a whole lot of traffic in the walking aisles...
The little break mid-artist-row had a lot of traffic too because people had to use it as an alternate route/shortcut.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by dokool »

I only went through the Alley once, on Friday afternoon. I would have LOVED to go through it again because the AA is my favorite part of any con, but the traffic was just so horrible that I didn't even bother.

You want to get people to move faster? Do like they do at Comiket and ban cosplay photography inside the artist hall. People stopping to take photos causes backups and nobody can move and it's inconsiderate to everyone.

I would also ban large props from being carried inside the Alley - you could have a 'prop check' at the entrance, have your prop tagged with a number, and take it out when you leave.

Then again the best solution would be to cut out a row of tables and expand the aisles by a couple rows on each side.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Rox3l »

I'm just throwing in a little further two pence here. I didn't mean move to a bigger space to allow more artists, I just meant that a larger space would allow more people in and around the booths, and I didn't know we had hit the cap for AA. That's really neat. :)
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=dokool]You want to get people to move faster? Do like they do at Comiket and ban cosplay photography inside the artist hall. People stopping to take photos causes backups and nobody can move and it's inconsiderate to everyone.[/quote]

Technically, photography was banned for the most part. Attendees were allowed to take photos of artists with neat costumes, and artists were allowed to take photos of attendees, but attendees were not supposed to photograph each other in the Alley, they were supposed to take it to the hall. The artists were exempted because they can't really duck away from the table every time someone wants to take a picture. Unfortunately, the only place I saw this rule was in the con guide, which not everyone reads, so it didn't really get followed.

I think the prop check is a nifty idea.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by dokool »

[quote=Kogarashi][quote=dokool]You want to get people to move faster? Do like they do at Comiket and ban cosplay photography inside the artist hall. People stopping to take photos causes backups and nobody can move and it's inconsiderate to everyone.[/quote]

Technically, photography was banned for the most part. Attendees were allowed to take photos of artists with neat costumes, and artists were allowed to take photos of attendees, but attendees were not supposed to photograph each other in the Alley, they were supposed to take it to the hall. The artists were exempted because they can't really duck away from the table every time someone wants to take a picture. Unfortunately, the only place I saw this rule was in the con guide, which not everyone reads, so it didn't really get followed.

I think the prop check is a nifty idea.[/quote]

I was stopped for a couple minutes because one guy was taking pictures in a corner that was the most open space of the entire room (the right far corner from the entrance).

If that's a rule? It needs to be posted in HUGE LETTERS at the entrance and there need to be staff roaming around to enforce it. Confiscate cameras and make'm go apologize to someone at Security before they get it back, whatever it takes.
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

I'm a mean person and tell people to GTFO when they try to take pics near my table.

And by mean, I mean I'm polite the first 2 times, after that I tell you to GTFO or I'm calling security.
Tuberat
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Tuberat »

haha yeah, there was no thread started because basically i had no net at con, then I was driven home on monday and went straight to work from there after giving my daughter her easter basket. I just got onto the computer and am now catching up with 5 days worth of stuff...sorry for the delay.

there is MORE than 6 feet of space between EACH row - both artist and traffic intended...at least, it is according to my MAP. i have noticed discrepancies in my map and what the Hynes GIVES me however which MIGHT explain what happened. ( i can't count how many times we were missing tables or they give the wrong sized tables over the last 5 years)

that just means that next year, i have to start measuring row spacings in addition to EVERYTHING ELSE i'm double checking.

Also, i think i did increase space between the artist portions of the rows (same as last year, but kogarashi, you weren't able to make it last year) due to many complaints about artists having no room to move or keep their stuff without bumping into the people behind them.

the middle breaks were MEANT to be additional escape hatches for artists since those rows are REALLY long. were those useful AT ALL to you guys?

I can look into stanchions (sp?) to block those off. i don't know how do-able that is, since i hear they are limited and other events need them as well.

YES - PHOTOGRAPHY IS BANNED. Except of course for the exceptions noted. but as noted, people don't read. we'll have to keep in mind the idea of a photography patrol. this is not a bad idea at all and i'm upset i didn't think of it already.

we are actually thinking of banning the bringing of large weapon/props inside, or at least making them 'check them with us'. we stopped several whom were not WATCHING how they were carrying their props and said "either carry them so they won't hit someone, or leave it here and pick it up when you were done"

we will NOT be getting larger rooms. no way in hell. This is too much as it is. i know you didn't mean it that way, but i figure i might as well say it now for those who are wondering.

as for the idea of reducing the number of tables, would you people REALLY want me ot get RID of tables? i have about 100 + people that never got in this year who i don't think would agree....and while i wouldn't mind a smaller alley (more sales for the rest of us....) i'm just not sure if this is a good idea right now until we can get the right balance on the AA signups.

Hynes - Security. We did have a few problems with them. We gave them instructions. Multiple times. i don't know what was up with that. and then they did it to us AGAIN for checkout. its something the AA will definitely be bringing up with the upper level to see what happened and see what can be doe to resolve the situation.

THIS POST WAS TO ANSWER what has already been put here. I do mean to have a REGULAR FEEDBACK of things at some point - to which i think i'll start a new thread and link to this one so they'll be connected but so we can make sure that everyone can see the new stuff - i'm a little tired right now....

i will not be closing this thread however, but if i don't answer right away, i may have passed out....

anywya, hope this explained a few things...
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
yuureikun
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by yuureikun »

I'll wait to give my feedback until you open the official thread, but I wanted to answer your question. YES!!! The breaks mid-row were amazing and absolutely essential to any bathroom or food runs. The attendees generally stayed out of them. The far right row, I think, had the least space between rows and traffic was always at some sort of standstill. It was nice to know that I could just run down a few tables, jump through the aisles to the other AA row, and go down the row to be right in front of the door. They were VERY appreciated.
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Cowboy »

I used the mid breaks like a ninja. It was all I could do to get in and out sometimes.

dokool
Feeds off your tears

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by dokool »

[quote=Tuberat]as for the idea of reducing the number of tables, would you people REALLY want me ot get RID of tables? i have about 100 + people that never got in this year who i don't think would agree...[/quote]

When the alley is so congested that it's actually keeping potential customers (like myself and I'm sure others) away? Yeah, I think any way to make space is something worth considering. Relocate to a bigger room (or split off into two rooms) but don't increase the number of booths, cut the number of booths in the current room, whatever it takes to give people some freedom to walk around.

Another point is that with so many tables being shared, divided, subdivided, etc, you have more places where attendees congregate to stop and look at things. So maybe being a bit more strict on how much of that can be done would smooth traffic flow a bit.
MacX
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MacX »

I liked the middle row too, which I sometimes used (other times I just took the "long" way since I was near an exit door.

THe problem with an "extra" AA room is that it doesnt get as much traffic as the bigger hall, and those AA peeps suffer as a result becuz it is overlooked/hard to find

I was wondering tho why Security at RANDOM times came up to the AA tables and ask to see my badge. Now granted I understand that this was to avoid "squaters" but I was thinking "R u kidding me? I've been here the entire time! XD "
I can sculpt anything out of clay for you. Challenge me.

“I’ve known Macklin for a very long time and I think he is an incredibly talented person.” - Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum, Pokemon).

Follow me on twitter @ HeyLookASign
cachalot
Expert Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by cachalot »

I absolutely LOVED the middle "escape" row thing. I didn't know it existed at first until one of my assistants wondered why I wasn't using it and was always taking the long way around XD It was an absolute life saver especially on Saturday when the AA was just packed.

I didn't see that many photo-takers around my table at the alley. It mostly seemed that the rows were congested because there were just that many people there. When most people only had 4 (or even 2) feet of space per table, and there are 5+ people looking at stuff every 2 feet, the crowd naturally just swells out into the aisle and blocks traffic because you can't really fit 10 people into a 2 ft space for browsing.

I think it was great though that there were so many people coming in and out.

Mostly I just wanted to say the AA from my point of view was really well run. We didn't have any problems with security or getting our artist badges. Thanks Nikki for making this happen!
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

Yes yes, the row-breaks were very useful... I always used it. I'm saying that general attendees were using it too XD;;
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Cowboy »

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Good!
Nikki runs a tight AA. Very efficient. Very organized. Loved the Aisle breakthroughs. Thank you Nikki!

The Bad and the Ugly
Could have done without the kids camping just outside the alley doors. I could not get in or out of the alley due to people sitting in the way.

Security Saturday morning let general attendees into the alley early. One complained to me that we should be open. Security at the prudential mall entrance on Thursday night and Sunday after closing kept telling me that I could not be in the Hynes because my badge did not say staff. I had to re explain that I my badge gave me access to the artist alley for setup or break down of my table.

I was a bit confused as I saw a table retailing certain hats. When I looked at them I saw "made in China" tag on the hats. As a crafter that spends a long time crafting artistic accessories its an insult to someone retailing in the AA instead of the dealers room.

I saw another person giving out candy.

A couple of other artists kept playing music that annoyed their neighbors over and over again and would not turn it off or down when requested.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=Tuberat]that just means that next year, i have to start measuring row spacings in addition to EVERYTHING ELSE i'm double checking.[/quote]

:hug:

[quote]Also, i think i did increase space between the artist portions of the rows (same as last year, but kogarashi, you weren't able to make it last year) due to many complaints about artists having no room to move or keep their stuff without bumping into the people behind them.[/quote]

Fair enough. I can see why that would be important. We were pretty cramped at ConnectiCon last year for that very reason, which is probably why it looked so spacious to me this year.

[quote]the middle breaks were MEANT to be additional escape hatches for artists since those rows are REALLY long. were those useful AT ALL to you guys?[/quote]

The middle breaks were EXTREMELY useful. We were just two spaces away from ours, and it was a life-saver, since the wall spaces had less room than the center rows, at least on our side.

[quote]I can look into stanchions (sp?) to block those off. i don't know how do-able that is, since i hear they are limited and other events need them as well.[/quote]

I think asking the artists on either side of the center breaks would actually be quite helpful for keeping attendees out of them, and should save you some trouble.

[quote]as for the idea of reducing the number of tables, would you people REALLY want me ot get RID of tables? i have about 100 + people that never got in this year who i don't think would agree....and while i wouldn't mind a smaller alley (more sales for the rest of us....) i'm just not sure if this is a good idea right now until we can get the right balance on the AA signups.[/quote]

I think we have just the right number of spaces now. Better space management is the answer, I think, and that's mostly just making sure things are spaced out right. After all, for every super-crowded hour, there was just as much time where the traffic flow was much lighter and more manageable. My problem was that when I came back from the Dealer's Room, it happened to be one of the super-crowded hours.

[quote=yuureikun]The far right row, I think, had the least space between rows and traffic was always at some sort of standstill. It was nice to know that I could just run down a few tables, jump through the aisles to the other AA row, and go down the row to be right in front of the door. They were VERY appreciated.[/quote]

I was directly across from you, and unfortunately up against a wall, so I had no alternate escape route. :( I think you're right that the far-right row had less space overall. I'd guess they started setting up the tables from the Art Show end of the room, and didn't adjust everything when the right-hand row ended up a little narrow.

[quote=MacX]THe problem with an "extra" AA room is that it doesnt get as much traffic as the bigger hall, and those AA peeps suffer as a result becuz it is overlooked/hard to find[/quote]

Agreed. There were two "extra" rooms in 2008, and I remember the artists in there talking about how they got less traffic overall because people didn't realize there was more to the Alley.

[quote]I was wondering tho why Security at RANDOM times came up to the AA tables and ask to see my badge. Now granted I understand that this was to avoid "squaters" but I was thinking "R u kidding me? I've been here the entire time! XD "[/quote]

And Security never bothered to come by and ask anyone around us that we saw. Which might have helped, as the four-foot space to one side of us had 2-3 friends behind the two people managing the table all day on Saturday, making for a very crowded space (not to mention that at least half of the friends had no Artist badges and were often asked to cover the table). The table to the other side frequently had a mini "party" going on as well, but never more than the alotted number of people for their space.
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

[quote=Cowboy]

The Bad and the Ugly
Could have done without the kids camping just outside the alley doors. I could not get in or out of the alley due to people sitting in the way.
[/quote]

This is forever a gripe of mine. I don't really like getting tripped when I have to run to the bathroom.

[quote]
Security Saturday morning let general attendees into the alley early. One complained to me that we should be open. Security at the prudential mall entrance on Thursday night and Sunday after closing kept telling me that I could not be in the Hynes because my badge did not say staff. I had to re explain that I my badge gave me access to the artist alley for setup or break down of my table.
[/quote]

I did not have an issue with this. Then again, I walked in with a huge heavy tub.

[quote]
I was a bit confused as I saw a table retailing certain hats. When I looked at them I saw "made in China" tag on the hats. As a crafter that spends a long time crafting artistic accessories its an insult to someone retailing in the AA instead of the dealers room.
[/quote]

This is unacceptable and you should have reported them to staff.

[quote]
A couple of other artists kept playing music that annoyed their neighbors over and over again and would not turn it off or down when requested.
[/quote]

I think the entire alley heard my sister yell at someone on Saturday morning because of this. I couldn't hear my customers, and he was being so obnoxious that people were AVOIDING our row.
KingPads
Expert Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by KingPads »

Yea I wasn't sure how to act in the AA, right as I entered 2 people demanded pictures and one of the artists said no pictures inside, so I turned them down.
I actually left almost right away because I couldn't fit through the aisles in my costume....The last thing I wanted to do was break something... I saw a picture on the way out that I liked too, but I didn't get a chance to go back and buy it :(
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

The big props really REALLY scared me. I was at the end of a row near the double doors by the Art Show and attendees were knocking stuff off of my table left and right. Some didn't even say sorry, they would just book it.

And people wondered why I was so damn angry all weekend. I may have made okay money, but my stress levels were through the roof and the rudeness I was getting was overwhelming.

I especially love the classic, "Well, I can just make my own stuff than buy it from you." attitudes I was getting too.

You know what? Make your own stuff and stay the hell out of artist alley then. Don't bother coming in if all you're going to do is tick off artists by telling them you can do what they do anyway.
BishonenJudge
AB Alumni

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by BishonenJudge »

Anyone who photographed or purchased my [color:red]STAINED GLASS art in the ART SHOW[/color]: Could you please send in photos of it? I lost my camera (not at AB, on the way home) and don't have any shots of some of the art I produced... especially the [color:red]Winged Dragons.[/color] I'm bummed. Thanks for your help!
Mary Dumas
Green Room Manager
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=Ang]

I especially love the classic, "Well, I can just make my own stuff than buy it from you." attitudes I was getting too.

You know what? Make your own stuff and stay the hell out of artist alley then. Don't bother coming in if all you're going to do is tick off artists by telling them you can do what they do anyway.[/quote]

An artist I used to help at craft fairs had a sign that said, "Sure, you COULD make this, but be honest with yourself: There's no way you ever will. So shut up or buy something."

I always thought that was a good response. 8)
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
SailorAstera
Determined Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by SailorAstera »

Thankfully I only had one of those all weekend. But yeah, that kind of attitude would get me pissed too. T_T

I LOVED the mid row breaks. Once I discovered them I used them as short cuts.

The space between artists back to back was nice to have, but I would be understanding and accommodating if it had to be smaller to allow for more traffic movement.

There were a few times things got backed up in front of my table but I don't remember it being terribly frequent. When it did, I usually tried to chat with the people who were stuck to try to make their time pass faster.

I can't say I really have any complaints about my first AA experience (though for the Art Show I am sad about the two people who bid on my piece and didn't pick it up, d'oh!)

Over all I had a really happy weekend.
~*Sarah*~
AdorkaBows | AdorkaStock

"In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!"
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Cowboy »

[quote]Sure, you COULD make this, but be honest with yourself: There's no way you ever will.[/quote]
I love it!

If it is okay with you SciFiGrl47 I am making that as a shirt. Not for sale, just for wear. If any other artists want one let me know. I would only charge what it cost me from my printer. Ill include a receipt from my printer to validate the cost.

MerchMaven
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MerchMaven »

Sue would be pleased that her snarky Yankee sensability has passed to a new generation of artits. Go for it. 8)
Kerry Walker
hemlock_Inyx
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by hemlock_Inyx »

I had a great year as usual. Of course by now I've learned the tricks of the trade. And I really appreciated being in the same location I was last year. It helped a great deal.

The only complaint that I had--and did something about--was making sure the artist accross from me moved her clothing rack so that it didn't block the aisle. The way she had it set up it was taking up 2-3 feet of an already narrow walkway.

My only suggestion would be to make it clear that people can't take up more than their alloted table space/back area for display. And no displays should block aisles.

[quote=Cowboy]
[/quote]

I'm of two minds on this. Since many people buy base items/parts and then use them to craft unique items. So was this a case where a base hat was bought and then added too, or these were just hats purchased for resale as is?
Tuberat
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Tuberat »

just a quicky to specifically ask/look into one thing (more on everything else later guys, sorry)

the things that said "made in china"

are you sure that it wasn't appropriate?

What i mean is, that yeah, there were several people selling hats. the point of the matter however, was that they were buying top hats and then MODIFYING them. adding goo gaws and doodads and steampunking them out.

was that what you saw? or was it something else?
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Cowboy »

[quote]I'm of two minds on this. Since many people buy base items/parts and then use them to craft unique items. So was this a case where a base hat was bought and then added too, or these were just hats purchased for resale as is?[/quote]

There was not a lot of design on them. Seemed like the base hats had a few things added. Like a pinned ribbon or a mini rose held on by a tab of glue. I could not tell if that was the way they were made by the manufacturer or added on. They looked very cheesy and lacked much artistic expression in my eyes.

Also, I am okay with taking the parts of something or base parts to create something new. I buy printed fabric from JoAnns and use it to make some of my items. I create something new or different out of it. I got the feeling that was not the case here.

Anyways, its water under the bridge now.

Edited to add response to Nikki

I think because I cannot tell if they were manufactured that way or not is where I am confused. Or how much was manufacturer if that be the case. If the "made in china" tag was not left on I think I would not have had any doubts.
cachalot
Expert Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by cachalot »

[quote=BishonenJudge]Anyone who photographed or purchased my [color:red]STAINED GLASS art in the ART SHOW[/color]: Could you please send in photos of it? I lost my camera (not at AB, on the way home) and don't have any shots of some of the art I produced... especially the [color:red]Winged Dragons.[/color] I'm bummed. Thanks for your help![/quote]

I didn't photograph or purchase the stained glass in the Art Show, but I do specifically remember the winged dragons on display and just being awed at how beautiful they were. I only had about 5 minutes to brows the Art Show all weekend though and I always meant to go back and maybe bid on some things, but before I knew it, the weekend was over. O_O

I do remember being very surprised that the dragons were only going for $35(? I think?) In any case, I remember that the regular stained glass pieces were priced more expensively, although the dragons seemed much more intricate! I don't know anything about stained glass though. =P

[quote=Cowboy]
Could have done without the kids camping just outside the alley doors. I could not get in or out of the alley due to people sitting in the way. [/quote]

I did have a problem with this as well, come to think of it. There were some huge groups that would set up came just outside the alley doorways, severely limiting the flow of traffic, and the security guards at the door didn't do anything to stop it. I don't really have any problem with people camping out, but with so many people trying to get in and out of the AA, it became a really big problem. I always felt like I was going to trip over someone.
A. Sivan
I'm new!

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by A. Sivan »

Maybe it was just me, but I liked the set up. This was the best AA I have seen, but to put it in perspective this is also my first time selling things. I think the set up was nice, it was tightly run, security was good, and all that jazz. The only issues I had was...

Crowds definitely got to be a bit much at time. I sold out pretty quickly but moving around the AA was a bit of a hassle at times. It is great so many people came by to check it out, that is always a plus. It is not great when I am ducking giant swords/tails. I thought it was very strange that security came by and demanded to see my badge while I was selling stuff. That was kind of strange.

Also, behind the tables was annoying at times. Artists were good overall, but some people gathered in crowds on the floor in between where we would walk and they kept stuff in piles, sometimes even laying across the floor. Tip-toeing over artists/helpers does not make this any easier. Also, people who decide to stand or sit at the end of a row meant for artists to enter/exit are every annoying. I would like to see a stricter policy on this.

I was wondering about the photo rule, didn't really see signs up or anything. At AnimeNEXT they were everywhere, here I never saw them. Maybe signs outside the doors saying that no photos are allowed of cosplayers taking photos of cosplayers.
TwinEnigma
Determined Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by TwinEnigma »

Crowds were definitely a problem for me, too. I had to keep reminding people to move to the side and let someone else come up. And it was very, very congested in there.

Seconding the clothing rack being a huge issue on our corner of the alley - it created a bottleneck and it was really difficult to get in and out in that corner.

Most of what's been said here has pretty much said what my major issues were. I think I did catch you, Nikki, for the problems with security on breaking down and getting stuff out of the Alley to the cars on Sunday.

Other than the hiccups with crowds and security and tripping over things, it was really awesome.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by chaobunny »

I think my biggest gripe was when people lined up for the table next to mine in FRONT of my table.

Now, granted, my art wasn't as stellar as the other artists around me, and after this year I think I'm going to wait a few more years before I try again because I made very little profit.

But I still found it kind of rude that people would stand blocking the view of my table in order to wait for a turn to look at someone else's. It prevented people walking by from seeing what I had on my table.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
suriyel
Getting the hang of this...

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by suriyel »

Wow, it's been interesting to hear about the range of experiences we all had. Here go my thoughts:
Being only the second year in the alley, I have to say that overall for us, it was a great experience. Having the table breaks for running to the bathroom was priceless, and the extra space behind the table was an immense help as well.

I'm in agreement as far as concerns about aisle traffic go, but think that the number of tables this year was just right. The widths seemed to work fine, but rules for people carrying large props (like "hey man, don't swing your 7 foot sword around like a tool") and having them either check those in or be heartily reminded to be mindful about the impact on fellow con-goers would be extremely useful. Of course if they had to check them in, those of us stuck at the tables taking photos would get less awesome pics...hmm.

Communication with security was a big issue on Thursday. We went in the entrance on Boylston street and the guard looked completely baffled when we said we had pre-registered and needed to check in/set up for artist alley. Then we got jerked around by 3 more just trying to find the main registration room. After that mess though, all security we ran into were fine, in that they’d ask to see the badge then let us on our way afterwards. I was fine when asked for my badge, especially after seeing a girl next to us get busted for squatting not 30 seconds after setting up shop. We were already out of our seats to go report her when she was questioned. Awesome.

People stretched out on the floor right outside the doors became pretty unbearable when trying to get in and out, but a firm verbal slap from staff or security would probably be enough for that since they respond negatively to being asked to not be obnoxious hallhogs. It was artists behind the tables spreading out that sucked, but after the 5th time of having to carefully step over someone laying in the aisle, or over some delicate electronics, it’s on. I’ll admit getting pretty damn cranky and telling the same guy who had been guilty of this for several hours despite requests to move to “get OUT of the goddamn aisle, or I swear I’m breaking your s**t.” It worked though :|

So really, as opposed to the physical layouts or any sort of setup, it was the things people themselves did that we had problems with, that could perhaps be managed somehow imho
{ See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me. }
-Valentine
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

I showed my assistant this thread and she wanted me to mention something that was really pissing her off the whole time (actually I kept asking her to be quiet about it because I didn't want her starting any trouble... oo')
But uhm...
She was annoyed that one certain table happened to have a second table/set-up downstairs in the dealer's room. Why is that? o.o;
Actually, she has a lot more complaints about them, but... I'd... much rather not say. T-T;;;;;;
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

Can I ask who it was? Because that's totally not kosher at all.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by MerchMaven »

Being addicted to the AA and working in the dealer's room, I noticed a certain, um, similarity between a couple of tables too. Nice to know I wasn't just being paranoid. Please do not feel you're starting trouble, and if you do not feel comfortable speaking publically, it is always within your rights to use the contact form to reach either Nikki, or Christian Daly, the head of our Dealer's room.
Kerry Walker
FluffC
Experienced Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by FluffC »

Well I looked them up and I think their dealer's room thing was for Fakku, while their artist alley booth was for this side-project of theirs which is supposedly more artist-based.

uuuwaaa, I don't want anyone to think I hate them or something ( ̄へ ̄)...but my assistant was very irked by this the whole time and wanted me to ask...

...and if anyone from that table ever comes across this, you didn't bother me personally I swear XD;;
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

Yeah, when you see this stuff happening, you need to inform staff. Because what they did was bogus and could have allowed more people in the alley.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by egyptianruin »

The Good:
-Organization was like a dream. I almost cried because it was so organized and fast.
-Free donuts in the morning for us early morning artists. I love you.
-The gentleman who sang when Artist Alley was closing, I was in tears laughing so hard.
-Friendliness of the staff, it was awesome! Thank you for treating us with respect and kindly although most of us can be annoying at times, lol.

The Bad:
-People with props. I had a girl almost take out my entire table display with her 5 foot wings.
-Artists playing music and people going over to dance in front of their tables blocking traffic.
-Con goers playing music with boomboxes right at eye level of the artists.
-Table space behind the tables. I went to walk back into the table area at the middle section of the row but was unable to do so because of massive amounts of piles of people, props and artist stuff. I kept everything under my table and would have taken back items to my car/room if they had not fit.

The Ugly:
-Barkers - the people who yell out for people to come by their items. AA isn't a carnival.

I would say that people being rude was a bad thing "I could make this" but it happens at all cons and doesn't affect the cons in general for me. You will always have some rotten apples in the bunch.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by stray-x »

[quote=FluffC]I showed my assistant this thread and she wanted me to mention something that was really pissing her off the whole time (actually I kept asking her to be quiet about it because I didn't want her starting any trouble... oo')
But uhm...
She was annoyed that one certain table happened to have a second table/set-up downstairs in the dealer's room. Why is that? o.o;
Actually, she has a lot more complaints about them, but... I'd... much rather not say. T-T;;;;;;[/quote]
I saw a similar thing going on, but it was the Ramy/Sylvia Shi tables. I'm not afraid to name names because they've been pulling this sort of thing for years and I'm not the only one who's noticed. They had one table in the artist alley and another table/booth in the dealer's room.
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

I...cannot stand him. He needs to be banned for some of his antics. Also, I'm pretty sure they had more than one table. I believe the people who were sitting across from me may have been their little worker-bees. There were 2 6ft tables next to each other with the same style artwork up on PVC pipe displays. And all they were selling were prints from portfolios on the table.

ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

BishonenJudge
AB Alumni

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by BishonenJudge »

This kerfluffle could be bad for all artists who use other artist's creations as a basis for their work. In otherwords, you may not use anything that resembles Ichigo or Dark or L or any other anime character that you personally have not created in any way, and especially those that are meant to be sold in multiple numbers. That means, no prints, no buttons, no t-shirts that have non-original characters on them. Do you want this for AA at AB? This would, of course, satisfy the legal and corporate world, but is it something the artistic world wants?
Mary Dumas
Green Room Manager
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by egyptianruin »

[quote=Ang]I...cannot stand him. He needs to be banned for some of his antics. Also, I'm pretty sure they had more than one table. I believe the people who were sitting across from me may have been their little worker-bees. There were 2 6ft tables next to each other with the same style artwork up on PVC pipe displays. And all they were selling were prints from portfolios on the table.

[/quote]
Ramy was at 94 and 95. Sylvia was at 64. I don't know if they were elsewhere because I didn't walk around too much. I hope they aren't at Otakon this year trying to break the 10 per print limit on fan art by spreading out under various names again. I believe Sylvia is not allowed back to AA in Otakon because she was in the Dealer's room this previous year. They are officially ruining cons for other people - all these rules are being put in place because of their shenanigans. It's a shame really.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

Yeah. 94 and 95 were across from me. There is a one table limit per artist, and he had 2 6ft tables. So that means that was at least 3 that those losers had in our AA PLUS the Dealers Room.

Some of us have been around too long to have our AA destroyed by a couple of goons with piss-poor business practices who find it aventagious to purchase multiple tables to sell, dare I say it, there shiny desu, when some of us struggle every year to even get IN the alley. These jerks took tables away from other artists that were probably more deserving.

I say ban them and their cronies, even if it means having to submit an artwork sample with the letter of intent next year just to make sure there's not 10 people signing up with the same stuff. We should also let Christian know and not allow them to sign up for the dealer's room either.

Tuberat
AB Staff

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by Tuberat »

i don't recall ramy getting a table or a badge.
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
ang
Committed Poster

Artist Alley Feedback

Post by ang »

That's because he notoriously has other people do it for him. Chances are he put his name on the dealer's room badge and had his friends and family buy the tables upstairs.