Table Displays

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Karasuchan
Getting the hang of this...

Table Displays

Post by Karasuchan »

Im just wondering if someone could tell me where I could buy those table displays that can help hang your art over your tables? I believe alot of them are formed by detachable tubes and can pretty much over over your table when you want to make room to sell bigger prints. Ive been stuck on it all night so I'd greatly appreciate the name of what I'm looking for and where I can buy it >///< Thank you!!
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Table Displays

Post by Bettina Marie »

They're called PVC piping and can be found in any good hardware store.

PVC piping is used for plumping and such, so it's REALLY inexpensive, lightweight and makes for great displays for hanging prints! :D

If you plan to have it as a floor standing display, then you'll need just the piping and accompanying joints and you'll also need to make sure that you have the space behind your table for one...if you want a table mounted display, then 'C' clamps are the way to go with holding them on and space won't be an issue behind your table as well :D

I actually do both types of displays depending on the convention...

For the table mount display, I use these clamps:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_118178-281-512Q ... t%3Dclamps and slip the opened end of my piping over the long 'bar' part of the clamp when it's been clamped to the table, as such:
http://dreamworldstudio.net/conmerch/ne ... y_01sm.jpg

All your prints at that point can then be taped to the display for hanging :D...as you may see on my display though, I do have a homemade studio/business sign that I used to pin mini bull clips to to hold the top row of prints but it not necessary ^_^;;

As for the the floor display, I'll need to dig around some more for photos of it, as at the moment am not finding anything immediately :P
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
ync
Expert Poster

Table Displays

Post by ync »

thanks bettina! i always have such a problem with getting a nice display for my table - this is extremely helpful :) i'll have to invest in some of those clamps
Karasuchan

Table Displays

Post by Karasuchan »

Thank you so much for your advice! This really helped me :D Ive been so stuck on what those displays are called and did my best in googling it but I really needed the name of it all the same XD Again thank you soooooo much~<3
ghostfire

Table Displays

Post by ghostfire »

One thing I would add is that, if you choose to make your display custom with PVC, definitely go for schedule 80 rather than schedule 40 PVC. Here's a link to show the difference:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Schedule-40-versus-Schedule-80

Since you're trying to make a display that sits on the table and needs to be sturdy at four or five feet tall, the thicker walls of the schedule 80 make it much less likely to bend or lean over time, whether that time is a convention weekend, or several years. It only costs a little more for the poles themselves, it uses the same joint fittings as the normal schedule 40 PVC, and it's also available in most home improvement stores. I got mine at a local Lowes.
egyptianruin
Veteran Poster

Table Displays

Post by egyptianruin »

To throw in what I do for a necklace display:

I use PVC tubing (I used the thinner because I drilled holes in it and have brass hooks along the bar and it's only 2 feet tall) and then use 6" C Clamps (these easily slide over bars under the table) and then a 2 Gang FSE Box on either slide to slip the PVC into and clamp to the table. It's super sturdy.
Selling kawaii, kitsch and often geeky items.

cutenkitschy.com
MerchMaven
Show-off

Table Displays

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=ghostfire]One thing I would add is that, if you choose to make your display custom with PVC, definitely go for schedule 80 rather than schedule 40 PVC. Here's a link to show the difference:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Schedule-40-versus-Schedule-80

Since you're trying to make a display that sits on the table and needs to be sturdy at four or five feet tall, the thicker walls of the schedule 80 make it much less likely to bend or lean over time, whether that time is a convention weekend, or several years. It only costs a little more for the poles themselves, it uses the same joint fittings as the normal schedule 40 PVC, and it's also available in most home improvement stores. I got mine at a local Lowes.[/quote]

Plumber's daughter speaking now: PVC pipe is, by code regulations, limited to a 6 foot span without additional support. Any PVC measuring 1 inch in diameter or more will bow under ITS OWN WEIGHT, with nothing hung/attached/filling it, at anything over a six foot span.

Smaller diameters are actually better for displays, my own is a quarter inch pipe, but it is not sold at home improvement stores. They will actually usually deny it exists, but if you have a relative in the building trades, it can be purchased at a plumbing supply house or acquired through a contractor. Lowes and Home Depot won't stock it because there are limited uses for something with that small of a diameter, and they don't want to deal with an idiot that bought pipe too small to do their job correctly.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006