One Shot Comics-Buying, Selling, Pricing

Anime would be nothing without art. This forum is here for artists to discuss the art show and artists' alley.
Blitzava
Expert Poster

Post by Blitzava »

I've been practicing some mini comics (non verbal, one shots, etc) that average about 10-25 pages. I was thinking about polishing these up and offering them for sale.

Some are adult, some are not, some are sparkledog, some yaoi, yuri, etc.

I've never sold comics before but I try to write/draw what I'M interested in...however is this something buyers want? How do I price them, are people more interested in color, black and white, or grayscale? Any topics that are more interesting than others?

Currently they're drawn to be sized for slightly larger-than-manga sized pages though when I polish them up I can either blow them up or shrink them down.

So the things I'd like some input on

1) to people LIKE stand alone original comics that are that short?
2) If so, how much do they like to pay?
3) Color, ink, or grayscale black and white
4) Rating?
5) What size do they like?
6) How many do I print?

Thank You!
SAFP
Getting the hang of this...

Post by SAFP »

1) to people LIKE stand alone original comics that are that short? YES YES YES! I do very much! sometimes when I notice a series has tons of volumes, sometimes I do not bother ^^;
whatever medium the artist chooses, so long as I like the art.
4) Rating?
??
by this do you mean length or actual size? I guess standard U.S manga size is good. as for length, anywhere from 30-70 pages would be my preference.
6) How many do I print?
If it is your first time selling comics, why not do a couple of each one you bring and see how they sell?

Natsuki5381
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Natsuki5381 »

to people LIKE stand alone original comics that are that short?
4) Rating?
6) How many do I print?

I think it's a great idea! I would definitely buy them! The color of ink would be all up to you. Rating...hehehe...would also be up to you. Many people like many things. me, Yuri! ShizuruxNatsuki all the way! The size you mentioned seem fine and i agree with the last post, bring a little of each and see how they do :)
tkawaii
Veteran Poster

Post by tkawaii »

1) There are those that do, especially if the art is nice.

2) depends on length, at cons, unless you're well known, its best to keep to short comics for no more then 5$

3) Color is most popular, but its only good if the art is good. So BW is fine too.

4) Rating? all in what you want

5) What size do they like? larger is better, so about 7"x10" is pretty good. But if not, then 5x8" is fine.

6) How many do I print? I'd say, no more then 25 when you start.
marikotoeii
Committed Poster

Post by marikotoeii »

i think if youre going to put something together, try to make it look as nice as possible presentation wise.

I foudn that once I went from printing my comic in a little booklet to putting it into an actual manga book, it flew off the table. I think if original stuff looks really good, people feel better about buying it. something about having the book in hand just kinda seals the deal.

or if you dont have enouugh to make a book, how bout some nice glossy postcard sized ones?

i sell my glossy manga books which are 5 issues each 100 pages black and white interior for 10. i have 20 page single issues ive sold for 5.

i think somewhere between that range would be good.
Last edited by marikotoeii on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: prices