Suggestions to Improve Screenings 2009

Discuss all of Anime Boston's video programming here...except music videos which have their own forum.
SSAtom
I'm new!

Post by SSAtom »

Reposting of #79022 from 03-18-08
I am sorry to bring up this question so late, and I assume it has been discussed in the past, but I have long wondered why the screens in the video rooms are not slightly canted forward? I often see people struggling to find a comfortable position from which they can see the subtitles, and I solution I have seen used at industrial shows is to pitch the screens slightly forward from the top. For example, relatively small screen, say 5-feet (60inches) would only require about a 5-inch tilting from the top to achieve a five degrees pitch forward. The projector, at something like 10 or 15-feet from the screen, would only have to be tilted up about 2 so degrees to compensate, thus raising the subtitles by about half a head, but without inducing object distortion. Larger screens with projectors further back would require even less adjustments to obtain beneficial results.
Is this an impractical suggestion. Thank you for you responses
SSAtom
I'm new!

Post by SSAtom »

Ah - 2009 already!
To Suwada Hinds - Programming Dir.-
Thank you for your response to my question last year; as I had posted just before the beginning of the convention I was not sure anyone would have had a chance to read my posting, but at the post-con ques. and ans. it was clear everyone had! (For convenience I re-posted my question).
While canting the screens would be the best solution, after seeing the screening set-ups last year, I think even just having blocks under the screen supports might work (maybe 6-inches? - not too unstable). If it induced too much distortion, you could put blocks between the dollies and the projectors (I don't think it would have to equal to height of the blocks for the screens - just enough for the distortion. Hope there are other ideas - looking forward to this going this year!
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

Sadly Suwada is not Director of programming, Nick Amento is and has been for 2 years now. Suwada is his assistant.

That being said, I'm the person responsible for the setup of all the event rooms as well as their operation so your comment should be directed to me.

Now to answer your question, I will make the attempt to place the screens as high as is possible in the rooms. That being said i am restricted by two related items, The screen size and the ceiling heights. If i go with a smaller screen i can get it higher in the room, and the inverse is true. I have always tried to get the largest screen in every room that is appropriately feasible. Blocking up projectors or screens is not an issue since the projectors can compensate for that type of change and the screen legs themselves are adjustable.

So Lets see how it goes this year can't we?
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations