What should I go watch?

Discuss all of Anime Boston's video programming here...except music videos which have their own forum.
PartyFoul
I'm new!

What should I go watch?

Post by PartyFoul »

Hey everyone, I haven't been a big anime fanatic since high school and decided to jump back into it this year with AB. I'm gonna read the shows descriptions, but they only tell so much and between all the panels, show, events, etc. there's so much to juggle. I just wanna know what you guys think are some must see shows I should work in.
ShadowAgent
AB Alumni

What should I go watch?

Post by ShadowAgent »

Most of what I would recommend depend entirely on what kinds of shows you like. Do you like romance? slice of life? action? There are many different things that will be showing. So my first question to you is what kinds of shows outside of anime do you enjoy watching? That can give some clues as to what kinds of anime I can recommend.
Michael Ray

Master Scheduler 2015
Director of Programming 2013-2014

Video Programming Manager 2010-2012
Prog Ops Staff 2009
Podcast Manager 2008
Karaoke Manager 2003-2007
PartyFoul
I'm new!

What should I go watch?

Post by PartyFoul »

Non-Anime Shows
Breaking Bad
Scrubs
Adventure Time

Animes
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
hg revolution
Veteran Poster

What should I go watch?

Post by hg revolution »

Azumanga Daioh's a very charming understated-yet-surreal sort of comedy; if you like Adventure Time and FLCL you'd probably like it as well.

If you like Evangelion, I'm certain you're thinking of going to see the 2.22 movie. The 1.11 movie really isn't necessary, being a somewhat ineffective digitally reanimated clipshow of the first six episodes of the series, the biggest difference being that the Angels are CGI, bleed red blood, and there's rainbows everywhere for some reason. 2.22, however, is mind-blowing awesome.

Beyond that, definitely check out Summer Wars. It's one of those movies that will soon become part of that unofficial but universally known list of anime movies ever fan has to see.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

What should I go watch?

Post by royalbakaness »

I highly recommend R.O.D. Great, unique anime.
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Sayoria
AB Staff

What should I go watch?

Post by Sayoria »

Sounds to me that Gurren Lagann is right up your alley.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
ShadowAgent
AB Alumni

What should I go watch?

Post by ShadowAgent »

Stuff we are showing, I would recommend off the top of my head:

Eden of the East
El Cazador de la bruja

Sounds like you are still experimenting with stuff.. I would say take it random and see what you like. Honestly, you ask 100 people what anime they recommend, you will get just as many different answers. Like asking someone what their favorite ice cream flavor is.
Michael Ray

Master Scheduler 2015
Director of Programming 2013-2014

Video Programming Manager 2010-2012
Prog Ops Staff 2009
Podcast Manager 2008
Karaoke Manager 2003-2007
Nora Kisaragi
Getting the hang of this...

What should I go watch?

Post by Nora Kisaragi »

When it comes to shows, or anime, there are multiple categories. Usually, when classifying an anime, people use the manga system for classifications, Shojo, Shounen, Seinen, and uh, Josei I think. If you see these terms ever thrown about for anime or manga, don't be afraid, it's just how the japanese like to classify manga, which people then attribute to anime.

Basically Shoujo can be represented by something like Sailor Moon, Shounen can be represented by DragonBallZ and Naruto, Seinen is for adult males, series like Chobits comes to mind, and Josei is for mature women, Paradise Kiss comes to mind.

When you want to know good reccomendations, it's good to know exactly what your fancy is. Like ShadowAgent said, it's kind of like what ice cream flavor you like.

If you don't like romance, you're probably better off with action-orientated manga/anime, such as Durarara!

edit: Judging from the list you posted, it seems like Gurren Lagann and possibly Durarara would be good choices for you
reaper527
Determined Poster

What should I go watch?

Post by reaper527 »

i'd recommend checking out kampfer (currently listed for 10pm friday)
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=6685

not necessarily based on what you said, but simply because i thought it was good, and i think its worth checking out if you haven't seen it yet.

i would also suggest

ga rei zero (currently listed for 4:45pm friday)
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=6113

(and yeah, i think everyone else is right. you'll like gurren lagann)

if you like the sometimes action sometime goofy type of show (like a naruto), you should check out soul eater
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... e&aid=5610

and while this isn't a "go watch this" point, you should go to some of the panels run by distributors. i found a few shows by going to those last year (such as the funimation one)
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
PartyFoul
I'm new!

What should I go watch?

Post by PartyFoul »

Gurren Lagann is awesome, I've been watching it on Netflix to get in shape for the convention. I can't wait to see the movies there. However, I'm conflicted cause the Tengen Toppa Evangelion panel is happening at the same time as Childhoods End, and the Lights in the Sky Are Stars is on during the Japan's Lost Generation panel. This is gonna be tricky. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

What should I go watch?

Post by Badonkadonk »

Watch Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22 when they show them. 1.11 is actually pretty boring since it's almost the first six episodes of the show beat-for-beat, but it's worth it to set up 2.22, which I absolutely loved even as someone who doesn't really like anime.