Late Night Anime

Discuss all of Anime Boston's video programming here...except music videos which have their own forum.
ShadowAgent
AB Alumni

Late Night Anime

Post by ShadowAgent »

Hi All,

It is less than two months until the con and I have been hard at work to bring you all a vast variety of anime. I do not think anything we have will disappoint.

I would like to hear what people like to see past 7pm. I know there are certain things we show only late night, but is there interest out there to see more more lighter stuff? In the past, the twilight hours have been mainly for more graphic stuff. If something mainstream like Naruto, for examlple, would show late night, would you want to watch it? Or something light and upbeat?
Michael Ray

Master Scheduler 2015
Director of Programming 2013-2014

Video Programming Manager 2010-2012
Prog Ops Staff 2009
Podcast Manager 2008
Karaoke Manager 2003-2007
Nora Kisaragi
Getting the hang of this...

Late Night Anime

Post by Nora Kisaragi »

Personally, I would believe that when someone sees late night anime, lightbeat stuff is the last thing on their mind.

Darker stuff in my opinion would be preferable to something like Naruto which is aimed at a more general audience.

Now, when I say "dark", I don't mean everything has to be "higurashi dark" (i.e. bloody). I just mean the tone of the anime should be a little more leaning towards maturity. Something like Spirited Away, just as an example, might be an excellent choice.

That's my opinion on the matter, anyway.

P.S: As for requests? Well, i'm migrating my request from the other topic to this topic (Seeing as I can't delete that post for some reason) and say ga-rei zero. Its rated 17+ for violence/minor gore dubbed by funimation (i would totally donate a copy if this was feasible)
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Late Night Anime

Post by Master of NERV »

When I think 7:00 pm and later when I'm home, I'm thinking prime time. For our purposes here, I believe we should take a similar tack, with anime that will appeal to the adult in us.

Some titles that immediately come to mind for the early evening:

Baccano!
Ghost in the Shell
(any incarnation)
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei
Armitage the Third
(again, any incarnation)
Kino's Journey
Pumpkin Scissors
Gankutsuou

and, of course, anything by Satoshi Kon, Hayao Miyazaki, Makoto Shinkai, or Katsuhito Otomo

For later at night (say, after 10:00), there's always:

Black Lagoon
Elfen Lied
Ninja Scroll
Ergo Proxy
Gilgamesh
Gantz

Lastly, nothing says that evenings can't be fun. I'd suggest:

Welcome to the NHK
Those Who Hunt Elves
Otaku No Video
Genshiken
Puni Puni Poemy
(if you dare!)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
_Nyuu_
I'm new!

Late Night Anime

Post by _Nyuu_ »

I must second Elfen Lied and Lain. It would be pretty fantastic to see Higurashi no Naku Koro ni as well!
Lordpants
Getting the hang of this...

Late Night Anime

Post by Lordpants »

I can really get behind Pumpkin Scissors and Welcome to the NHK being shown they are both really awesome.