For the sake of Anime Boston

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2008.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

I'm wondering is there any interesting things people have done just to make sure they can go to Anime Boston or that revolve around it. If so please tell your story. I'll go first.

Since I work at a place where everyone is devoted to the world of sports and it took me a while to get them to understand what Anime even is I wrote a note in the book 10 months in advance to let them know I need 5 days off around the time of Anime Boston. MY manager became a bit suspicious and asked why do you need 5 days off for a 3 day event. I simply replied by first asking "well, haven't you heard of Anime Boston Eve?" he rolled his eyes and sighed saying "OK I guess". He then asked me what the 5th day was for. I then replied by asking him, "haven't you heard of Anime Boston Recovery Day?" He rolled his eyes again, and walked off. Now I get teased at work a lot for it. I simply just reply by telling them that Anime Boston is just as important to me as the superbowl is to them.
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

in all fairness though, 5 days is a lot. The super bowl also only takes up one day.

Last year anime boston was on easter. Every easter, we drive down to jersey to see my family. i ditched that for anime boston. xD
my mother was not happy about it in the least. I think she may have even wrote a letter to one of the people in charge of AB asking them to change the date. I know she wanted to and said she would. Told her it was ridiculous.
i know this year i plan on taking friday off from school.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Destro]MY manager became a bit suspicious and asked why do you need 5 days off for a 3 day event. I simply replied by first asking "well, haven't you heard of Anime Boston Eve?" he rolled his eyes and sighed saying "OK I guess". He then asked me what the 5th day was for. I then replied by asking him, "haven't you heard of Anime Boston Recovery Day?"[/quote]

It's stupid to assume he knows of any of those things, if he didn't even know what anime was in the first place. 5 days is an entire business week. If I was your manager I'd give you the 3 days and nothing more.

I've sacrificed HUGE delicious Easter dinners every year AB falls on easter and wads of cash.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Raver Gaara]in all fairness though, 5 days is a lot. The super bowl also only takes up one day.

Last year anime boston was on easter. Every easter, we drive down to jersey to see my family. i ditched that for anime boston. xD
my mother was not happy about it in the least. I think she may have even wrote a letter to one of the people in charge of AB asking them to change the date. I know she wanted to and said she would. Told her it was ridiculous.
i know this year i plan on taking friday off from school.[/quote]
I can see where your coming from. All the people I work with are normies :( . One of them rplied to this once by saying what Im asking for is no different than if her asked for the day before and after the superbowl, off as well as the day of the superbowl. I told him he should go ahead and ill cover for him.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Destro]
All the people I work with are normies :( [/quote]

And you wonder why you get teased.

I once paid 150$+ for a dress and shoes to wear to the ball, and then put it back in my closet never to be seen again. I've also skipped school on the friday of every AB since '04 and missed a few important tests.
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

My dress for the ball 2 years ago was $200, I never wore it again and didn't even get good pictures. This year I've put in $100 for my sumomo cosplay, she's not done yet and I'm taking on Edgeworth for the ball. I have a feeling that will be a money hold, I've never made anything like a suit before.
Personally, I think two cosplays a year, paying for the hotel thursday-sunday, and the amount of standing in line I do is enough.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=jessica][quote=Destro]
All the people I work with are normies :( [/quote]

And you wonder why you get teased.
[/quote]

I've seen the term "normie" used, but what on earth does it mean? I it meant to imply that non-anime fans are somehow more normal than people who ARE anime fans?

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

the term 'mundanes' is used more than 'normies'

a 'mundane' is someone who is not knowledgeable about what ever fan culture you are in, be it anime, sci-fi, furry, or whatever.

Since the 'Harry Potter' books, the term 'muggle' has been being used by some in place of 'mundane'.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

That is weird because I have never heard the term mondane
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

I feel some you do not understand what Im saying about normies. Normies or Mondanes are people who tend to revolve their interests, and hobbies based on what is popular based on advertisement and the interests of people around them. In other words they are not wiling to try something new if it is not popular.

By my opinion Normies or Mondanes do not mean someone who is not interested in anime.
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=Destro]I feel some you do not understand what Im saying about normies. Normies or Mondanes are people who tend to revolve their interests, and hobbies based on what is popular based on advertisement and the interests of people around them. In other words they are not wiling to try something new if it is not popular.

By my opinion Normies or Mondanes do not mean someone who is not interested in anime. [/quote]

But anime IS very pop-culture. Back in the 1990's you were hard-pressed to find someone who wasn't into Pokemon, or DBZ, or Sailor Moon. Which, Americanized or not, was still "anime." Then Cartoon Network introduced Toonami, which was like a 3 hour anime block every day. Personally, that was my "gateway" into anime -- a popular television block.

Nowadays, it's hard to find a child who hasn't watched Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugan, Bleach, or Fullmetal Alchemist. Even "Avatar," a popular Nickelodeon show, is drawn in the style of anime. Anime toys, DVDs, and other paraphernalia are no longer relegated to specialty shops and the internet. You can go to Target or Wal-Mart and buy anime DVDs.

Your definition seems contradictory, IMO.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=BlackSunRising]But anime IS very pop-culture. Back in the 1990's you were hard-pressed to find someone who wasn't into Pokemon, or DBZ, or Sailor Moon. Which, Americanized or not, was still "anime." Then Cartoon Network introduced Toonami, which was like a 3 hour anime block every day. Personally, that was my "gateway" into anime -- a popular television block.

Nowadays, it's hard to find a child who hasn't watched Naruto, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugan, Bleach, or Fullmetal Alchemist. Even "Avatar," a popular Nickelodeon show, is drawn in the style of anime. Anime toys, DVDs, and other paraphernalia are no longer relegated to specialty shops and the internet. You can go to Target or Wal-Mart and buy anime DVDs.

Your definition seems contradictory, IMO.
[/quote]

OH GOD. THIS THIS THIS.

I think it's pretty contradictory that you're saying that THEY aren't willing to try something new if it's not popular (which is messed up in it's own right, making a generalization, but I digress.) when you are are just as bad as them, for not giving what THEY like a chance. You're basically saying everything that is popular is bad and that they are bad for liking it. It's pretty much the whole Prep vs. Goth thing all over again like in high school, and that's pretty sad.

I'd much rather be a "normie" or "mundane" before I'd be anything like you.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

Im not saying that just because something is popular means it is bad.

Although a lot on the things Im into are not things that are popular amonst the majority of people in this world I am always still willing to give chances to these things.

For example televised sports. I feel they are a non artistic waste of good air time for the TV station. I feel the camera people have no artistic variety and it bothers me how they keep using the same camera angles over and over again. That is only the artist in me. But I still watch games on TV for the sake of hanging out with friends just so they can know that Im not entirely closed minded to their interests. However if I asked them to try watching something like Ghost In The Shell, or Deathnote they will look at me as if Im asking them to commit a sin.

That is the closed minded attitude I see in people that makes me refer to them as normies.

PLEASE!!! Do not assume that I try to avoid things just because the majority of people are interested in it.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote="Destro"]For example televised sports. I feel they are a non artistic waste of good air time for the TV station. I feel the camera people have no artistic variety and it bothers me how they keep using the same camera angles over and over again. [/quote]

}:(
Do you think before you type and hit "add post"? You are saying that sports are a "non artistic waste of good air time." HALF OF WHAT IS ON TV IS EXACTLY THAT! To say that the camera people have no artistic variety and that they use the same angles is completely moronic and I do not understand someone can actually think that. It's not like they're shooting a Golden Globe winning drama, THEY ARE SHOOTING A BASEBALL/FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL GAME. What exactly is there to be artistic about it? The use the same angles because THAT IS THEIR JOB. Do you really want to watch a football game where the camera guy is shooting it like he just got out of film school? I don't think so.

[quote="Destro"]But I still watch games on TV for the sake of hanging out with friends just so they can know that Im not entirely closed minded to their interests. However if I asked them to try watching something like Ghost In The Shell, or Deathnote they will look at me as if Im asking them to commit a sin. [/quote]

You need new friends. If you're willing to open your mind, they should too.

[quote="Destro"]That is the closed minded attitude I see in people that makes me refer to them as normies.[/quote]

Again, do you not realize what you just typed? I'm sorry, but a way to fight closed mindedness is NOT by more closed mindedness. (ESPECIALLY by calling them normies.) Who cares if it's not hurting you?

[quote="Destro"]
PLEASE!!! Do not assume that I try to avoid things just because the majority of people are interested in it. [/quote]

PLEASE!!! Do not assume that people who like popular and cool things are just because everyone else likes it.

For the sake of AB, please watch this.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=jessica][quote="Destro"]For example televised sports. I feel they are a non artistic waste of good air time for the TV station. I feel the camera people have no artistic variety and it bothers me how they keep using the same camera angles over and over again. [/quote]

}:(
Do you think before you type and hit "add post"? You are saying that sports are a "non artistic waste of good air time." HALF OF WHAT IS ON TV IS EXACTLY THAT! To say that the camera people have no artistic variety and that they use the same angles is completely moronic and I do not understand someone can actually think that. It's not like they're shooting a Golden Globe winning drama, THEY ARE SHOOTING A BASEBALL/FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL GAME. What exactly is there to be artistic about it? The use the same angles because THAT IS THEIR JOB. Do you really want to watch a football game where the camera guy is shooting it like he just got out of film school? I don't think so.

[quote="Destro"]But I still watch games on TV for the sake of hanging out with friends just so they can know that Im not entirely closed minded to their interests. However if I asked them to try watching something like Ghost In The Shell, or Deathnote they will look at me as if Im asking them to commit a sin. [/quote]

You need new friends. If you're willing to open your mind, they should too.

[quote="Destro"]That is the closed minded attitude I see in people that makes me refer to them as normies.[/quote]

Again, do you not realize what you just typed? I'm sorry, but a way to fight closed mindedness is NOT by more closed mindedness. (ESPECIALLY by calling them normies.) Who cares if it's not hurting you?

[quote="Destro"]
PLEASE!!! Do not assume that I try to avoid things just because the majority of people are interested in it. [/quote]

PLEASE!!! Do not assume that people who like popular and cool things are just because everyone else likes it.

Please watch this. For the sake of Anime Boston [forums]. [/quote]

Maybe I grew up in a different environment that the but the one I grew up in everyone revolved their lives around their favorite sports team. and whatever the media told them to be interested in. Now in my day and where I grew up things like manga and anime were not popular and in fact people who were interested in it were looked down upon and made fun of. So I developed an interest in the variety of styles of art. I was treated the same way because I still was not interested in things like sports, and rap music like everyone else was. People around me including classmates and family put me down for this. So I came to the idea that I was the cast out person just because of my interests and what makes me happy. But as all this happened I openly gave many chances to the things that they are interested in that I found rediculous. I still do it today. To me normies seem to be people who are not willing to try something for the sake that not many people around them are into it. I have not ruled out the possibility that there are people out there who are normies but are still willing to try new things like anime, web design, classical music, and other things Im into but get put down for. I just seem to have trouble finding them.

I guess what Im saying is not all normies are bad people. (based only on personal experience) Some just seem to be closed minded when it comes to trying new things. For example the class Im taking on artistic web design. Most of the other students there revolve their artistic style around the color schemes you see on modern day interior design shows. Which I think is ugly but I like the way they use placement. Anyways I like to use the same styl of placement as them accept with a dark gothic color scheme. When we critic each others work I don't put them down I look for things that DO look good in it. And they do the same.

Come to think of it maybe normie was not the correct term to use I will admit to being wrong about that because I do make that mistake at times. The only thing I hate is people who are closed minded to the interests of others around them and not willing to give things a chance.

I would like to appologise to anyone who found my missphrasing of some things insulting
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Destro]I guess what Im saying is not all normies are bad people. (based only on personal experience) Some just seem to be closed minded when it comes to trying new things.

Come to think of it maybe normie was not the correct term to use I will admit to being wrong about that because I do make that mistake at times. The only thing I hate is people who are closed minded to the interests of others around them and not willing to give things a chance.[/quote]

I win. :cool:
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

[quote=jessica][quote=Destro]I guess what Im saying is not all normies are bad people. (based only on personal experience) Some just seem to be closed minded when it comes to trying new things.

Come to think of it maybe normie was not the correct term to use I will admit to being wrong about that because I do make that mistake at times. The only thing I hate is people who are closed minded to the interests of others around them and not willing to give things a chance.[/quote]

I win. :cool: [/quote]

This is not about winning. The forums are not a place to create arguments with people because you feel morally superior to them. Just because you don't use the term 'Normies' doesn't mean you dont judge other people. In fact you have just judged Destro horribly, for using a word that a LOT of convention-goers use.

Personally I try and hang out with people who I know I have things in common with and dont try and explain the things that stand out to people who wouldn't understand. I dont call them 'Normies" but I do know that there is a clear difference between me and the guy who gets together with his buddies to play football on sundays. If we so happen to get along, cool, but I'm not going to pretend we do all the same things.

.... anyways, I dunno about a recovery day post-AB- unless you tend to get con plague. But I do agree that thursday before the con is a good thing to have, if you can get away with it.

I just realised today when my dad told me what his gift to me was that for the past 4 years I haven't gotten a non-convention-related present.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=KitKat][quote=jessica][quote=Destro]I guess what Im saying is not all normies are bad people. (based only on personal experience) Some just seem to be closed minded when it comes to trying new things.

I win. :cool: [/quote]

This is not about winning. The forums are not a place to create arguments with people because you feel morally superior to them. Just because you don't use the term 'Normies' doesn't mean you dont judge other people. In fact you have just judged Destro horribly, for using a word that a LOT of convention-goers use.

Personally I try and hang out with people who I know I have things in common with and dont try and explain the things that stand out to people who wouldn't understand. I dont call them 'Normies" but I do know that there is a clear difference between me and the guy who gets together with his buddies to play football on sundays. If we so happen to get along, cool, but I'm not going to pretend we do all the same things.

.... anyways, I dunno about a recovery day post-AB- unless you tend to get con plague. But I do agree that thursday before the con is a good thing to have, if you can get away with it.

I just realised today when my dad told me what his gift to me was that for the past 4 years I haven't gotten a non-convention-related present.[/quote]

Thank You KitKat for taking a lot of words right out of my mouth. I was going to say something similar but taking some time to think of how to put it nicely. You beat me to it.

Anyways I hope that is all over and lets bring this wall back to the origianal topic it was intended for.....

What unique things has anyone done for the sake of the joy we get from anime boston?
Keithel
AB Alumni

Post by Keithel »

Ok guys, no need to get into an argument.

Please keep this on topic, and playing nice.

(I'm not singling you out Destro, I just replied to last entry in the list)
Keith Kyzivat
Assistant Director of Programming #2/Weekend Events Manager
Anime Boston 2014
ADProg 2011-2014, Co-Chair 2009-2010, VC 2007-2008,
Secretary+Merch Mgr 2006, Merch Mgr 2004-2005, Vol+Merch Mgr 2003
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=KitKat]
[/quote]

Lighten up. It was a JOKE. All that was meant for was to signal the end of the e-drama. I was NOT creating an argument, I was pointing out the ignorant comments he was making. How have I judged him horribly? I didn't call him any names (I especially didn't call him a "normie") or made any assumptions (like he was), if you even bothered to read. I know lots of con-goers use it and it makes me mad because they can call people stereotypical names and whatnot, but they hate when others call them freaks. I would say everything I just said to Destro to someone who said Destro was a freak.

Look who's judging me and assuming I feel morally superior to everyone.. ;)

WHOA I POSTED AFTER KEITH LOL
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=jessica][quote=KitKat]
[/quote]

Lighten up. It was a JOKE. All that was meant for was to signal the end of the e-drama. I was NOT creating an argument, I was pointing out the ignorant comments he was making. How have I judged him horribly? I didn't call him any names (I especially didn't call him a "normie") or made any assumptions (like he was), if you even bothered to read. I know lots of con-goers use it and it makes me mad because they can call people stereotypical names and whatnot, but they hate when others call them freaks. I would say everything I just said to Destro to someone who said Destro was a freak.

Look who's judging me and assuming I feel morally superior to everyone.. ;)

WHOA I POSTED AFTER KEITH LOL
[/quote]

I understand some of the stuff you said but let me give you a peice of advice I learned the hard way frome back in my college prank days. A joke about another person is not funny unless the person the joke is about is laughing.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Keithel]Ok guys, no need to get into an argument.

Please keep this on topic, and playing nice.

(I'm not singling you out Destro, I just replied to last entry in the list)[/quote]

I never assumed you were singling me out I assumed you post was meant to say to everyone here. Im actually thankful to you for stepping in
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Destro]
I understand some of the stuff you said but let me give you a peice of advice I learned the hard way frome back in my college prank days. A joke about another person is not funny unless the person the joke is about is laughing.[/quote]

OH. MY. GOD.

STOP. PLEASE JUST STOP.

All I said was "I win." How is that about you?

Someone please lock this. There is no way I cannot not reply to this thread when people say things about me and me not defend myself.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=jessica][quote=Destro]
I understand some of the stuff you said but let me give you a peice of advice I learned the hard way frome back in my college prank days. A joke about another person is not funny unless the person the joke is about is laughing.[/quote]

OH. MY. GOD.

STOP. PLEASE JUST STOP.

All I said was "I win." How is that about you?

Someone please lock this. There is no way I cannot not reply to this thread when people say things about me and me not defend myself.
[/quote]

In other words it bothers you when the fingers get pointed at you instead.

I do agree. This is getting immature. But lets not lock it. Lets just bring the topic of conversation back to its original purpose

[quote=Destro]I'm wondering is there any interesting things people have done just to make sure they can go to Anime Boston or that revolve around it. If so please tell your story. I'll go first.

Since I work at a place where everyone is devoted to the world of sports and it took me a while to get them to understand what Anime even is I wrote a note in the book 10 months in advance to let them know I need 5 days off around the time of Anime Boston. MY manager became a bit suspicious and asked why do you need 5 days off for a 3 day event. I simply replied by first asking "well, haven't you heard of Anime Boston Eve?" he rolled his eyes and sighed saying "OK I guess". He then asked me what the 5th day was for. I then replied by asking him, "haven't you heard of Anime Boston Recovery Day?" He rolled his eyes again, and walked off. Now I get teased at work a lot for it. I simply just reply by telling them that Anime Boston is just as important to me as the superbowl is to them.[/quote]
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Destro]I do agree. This is getting immature. But lets not lock it. Lets just bring the topic of conversation back to its original purpose[/quote]
Back on topic NOW. No more replying to this part of the topic by either party or this thread will be locked.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Destro]
In other words it bothers you when the fingers get pointed at you instead.

I do agree. This is getting immature. But lets not lock it. Lets just bring the topic of conversation back to its original purpose
[/quote]

No, it bothers me when people are complete hypocrites. Especially when people get so butthurt over two words and a smiley that was a complete joke and the only reason I said it cause I got you to change your opinion and open your eyes and (pretty much) agree with me.

You could have said just the second part and I would have let it be, but you had to keep instigating me because you knew a mod would come and save the day.

[quote=PatrickD]Back on topic NOW. No more replying to this part of the topic by either party or this thread will be locked.[/quote]

Please and thank you, good sir. :)
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

*coughs*

I've sacrificed time, university classes, and crappy T schedules for AB. :) And this year I'm thinking of investing in a cosplay commission, so that's an extra bit of cash.

It's worth it, though.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I make it a point to sacrifice anything and everythig to make it to the con. My bosses at work are aware of such passion and dare not trifle with this event, for they are confused and just request I make sure all my routes are covered.

I also take very little time off during the year (read that as No time off) since I'm still parttime and have odd days off all the time, but helps highlight that if I put in for something its gotta be big. I also am never sick, or out sick. Work well and work works for you!
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

I can imagine. My friend is flying in from vagas for AB and won't tell me what her sotume is but tells me she spent $225 on it
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=Destro]I can imagine. My friend is flying in from vagas for AB and won't tell me what her sotume is but tells me she spent $225 on it[/quote]

My parents are less happy about the "skipping college classes to go to Boston" bit, but my dad is on my side.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

I know how you feel. I skipped classes for aanime boston 2008
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

Post by KitKat »

I'm just excited that this year my classes will be over for the con!! =)
Just barely, but at least I wont have rediculously big projects to finish before I go.
(Imagine lugging a portfolio, portable easle, and large collection of guache to your hotel room in addition to your stuff... oh god.)
Draffut
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Draffut »

Well, even though I live in Florida now, my parents are up in NH, with other family in Maine and Conn.

So every time I fly to Mass for AB, my dad drives down and guilt trips me into visiting all my grandparents and stuff. Sometimes I can make up excuses, but it is the worst on Easter weekends, when the guilt tripping works.

It was especially bad this year, as the first days lines were bad, the dealer room hours were odd, and I was all but forced to leave early Sunday.

So I only really got one day at the con, and didn't even get to the Dealers Room.

And it was the first year I've ever cosplayed, which slowed me down gettign asked for pictures alot too.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

OH I HAVE A GREAT STORY. (Trying to keep this on-topic.)
I got out of Jury Duty back in 2007 so that I could go to AB. Seriously.

I recieved my summons about a month before the con, looked at the dates, and was like "OH SHI- my first Jury Duty summons and it comes dring AB. FFFFFFFFFFFF..."

So, I wrote a letter to the courthouse, telling them that I was "involved with a large nonprofit organization in Boston, and I had made commitments to attend a very important organization function more than a year in advance." (I kid you not.)

They bought it, and I got out of Jury Duty. XD
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=ladyhawke78]They bought it, and I got out of Jury Duty. XD[/quote]
In Massachusetts, you have the option to postpone your jury duty once for any reason. ...but that pretty much obligates you to take whatever they give you for the second one.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Zepka
Obsessed Poster

Post by Zepka »

[quote=ladyhawke78]OH I HAVE A GREAT STORY. (Trying to keep this on-topic.)
I got out of Jury Duty back in 2007 so that I could go to AB. Seriously.

I recieved my summons about a month before the con, looked at the dates, and was like "OH SHI- my first Jury Duty summons and it comes dring AB. FFFFFFFFFFFF..."

So, I wrote a letter to the courthouse, telling them that I was "involved with a large nonprofit organization in Boston, and I had made commitments to attend a very important organization function more than a year in advance." (I kid you not.)

They bought it, and I got out of Jury Duty. XD[/quote]

that is amazing XD nice one.

hmm for the sake of anime boston....let me see, i pulled together 9 misfits to room with so that i could afford to stay at the hotel for 3 days, pay for parkin, and gas xD

it ended with me having to drive around boston at 4:30 A.M. friday to pick someone up who had my car keys (i was in a friends car) and having to pay more for the parking for the weekend becuase we messed up expenses.
Joey "Zepka" Pellegrino
Anime Boston Cosplay Games Staff - Coordinator 2022

Anime Boston Cosplay Games Staff 2014-2022
alissa37
Expert Poster

Post by alissa37 »

[quote=Draffut]Well, even though I live in Florida now, my parents are up in NH, with other family in Maine and Conn.
[/quote]
Wow, someone else from Florida?

I fly up every year as well (My dad lives in Wellesley), and I think I had an essay due the Monday after AB last year. Needless to say, I finished it on the plane and typed it up late at night after I got back. u_u
Draffut
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Draffut »

[quote=IAmAlissa]Wow, someone else from Florida?

I fly up every year as well (My dad lives in Wellesley), and I think I had an essay due the Monday after AB last year. Needless to say, I finished it on the plane and typed it up late at night after I got back. u_u
[/quote]

Ya, it's quite a trip, so I suually just meet up with a few friends from back ome to go each year (about 5 of us) Though hopefully I will be brining 3 other people from down here in Florida with me this year.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Draffut][quote=IAmAlissa]Wow, someone else from Florida?

[/quote]

Ya, it's quite a trip, so I suually just meet up with a few friends from back ome to go each year (about 5 of us) Though hopefully I will be brining 3 other people from down here in Florida with me this year.
[/quote]

Seeing you two interact like this brings a smile to my face. At AB 2008 I had a friend I went to college with in Vermont. She lives in Vegas but decided to fly all the way to Boston just for AB. When her real name is Faye she dressed as Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop. Next year it looks like she won't be able to go because it is on the same weekend as her sister's wedding. The weding is in cape cod on the saturday of AB but still wants to try to make it. She even already pre registered. But I question if she will be able to do it.
Amaya
Veteran Poster

Post by Amaya »

I know mine isn't nearly as awesome as everyone else's, but I found out about AB in 2006 from my cousin, I was going to go in 2007 but then realized that was when my Chorus trip to Disney was, and though I was upset I couldn't go, I wasn't all that depressed because I didn't know just how amazingly epic AB really is!!!

So I planned for 2008. I was out of High School by then and was taking a year off before college, so I didn't think I had to worry about when it was and the scheduling and such, but I had to check for my friends, since most were still in High School. I looked it up and got excited because they had that Friday off from school! Then realized it was because it was good friday. I thought I was screwed, so I went to my mom and said "Mom, I think we have a problem when it comes to Anime Boston, its on Easter weekend." she responded with "Thats a problem? Billy (my cousin) is going to be late to Easter dinner too, whatever, we'll keep some leftovers for you and heat it up when you get home. You're going to Anime Boston." Yeah, I realized then, I have an awesome mother hahaha.
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

Post by Anime Freak 1234 »

My parents have no idea what anime is or is about and i realy dont want to talk to them about it becuase what i find funny they think is weird (ex. a guy dressed as sailor moon)and all of my freinds are mainstream anime watchers (naruto :( )
those of my freinds who know anime but werent there cant get the feeling of its total awsomeness from my stories. I want to run away and live at an anime convention and be with my real family, you guys. (sobbing hystericly)
Wii Block Her

Post by Wii Block Her »

I do remember one year while staffing AB that i was stuck working at a Video Game store(even though i requested time off way way in advance, When you staff ab and have so since the start you tend to request time off a year in advance). They told me i could work or lose my job to go to some stupid convention......... So i quit & i got a better job offer when i came back.. So its all good.
Jen Legay
Security Auditor 11,12
Security : 03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11

At this time we are not hiring any Ninjas.
However, we are growing and things are always changing so please
continue to be in touch
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Anime Freak 1234]My parents have no idea what anime is or is about and i realy dont want to talk to them about it becuase what i find funny they think is weird (ex. a guy dressed as sailor moon)and all of my freinds are mainstream anime watchers (naruto :( )
those of my freinds who know anime but werent there cant get the feeling of its total awsomeness from my stories. I want to run away and live at an anime convention and be with my real family, you guys. (sobbing hystericly)[/quote]
You and me both.
[quote=Team1Up]I do remember one year while staffing AB that i was stuck working at a Video Game store(even though i requested time off way way in advance, When you staff ab and have so since the start you tend to request time off a year in advance). They told me i could work or lose my job to go to some stupid convention......... So i quit & i got a better job offer when i came back.. So its all good.[/quote]
I know the feeling. I asked for connecticon off 3 months in advance even though company policy says I need to ask for it 2 weeks in advance. 2 weeks before connecticon a guy asks for the weekend off so he could spend time with his girlfriend. He got it. I lost it. The next day the district manager made a surprise visit and I spilled everything to him. I finally got it. I asked for anime boston 2009 off 8 months in advance. If that is not advanced notice enough I don't know what is.
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

if i were you i would quit if the did not me the time off
BlackSunRising
AB Alumni

Post by BlackSunRising »

[quote=Anime Freak 1234]if i were you i would quit if the did not me the time off [/quote]

It's a little more complicated than that...when you're older and have bills to pay, sometimes you have to just deal with the unfairness.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=BlackSunRising][quote=Anime Freak 1234]if i were you i would quit if the did not me the time off [/quote]

It's a little more complicated than that...when you're older and have bills to pay, sometimes you have to just deal with the unfairness. [/quote]

That is very true.
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

it was in a manner of speaking not literly. i worry more about bill than my parents
narutoandbleachfreak
Expert Poster

Post by narutoandbleachfreak »

Well I have an ok story from last year. AB 08 was my very first con and how awesome it was it was like i reached paradise lol so many ppl that love what i love but back to the story. I was schedueled to wrok at the shack on thursday and i really wanted to come pick up my badges for ab and be prepared for the con (pocky, ramune, ramen, etc...) and i told my boss 2 weeks in advance :-(. since the scheduele was already made and it was litterally 2 days b4 da con i was so angry, i thought i would most of the con just to wait in line( I had back experiences with places that made you wait in line for events etc...) also since i had to travel from worcester to boston on train. But by some miracle i get the call from my boss he tells me that i didnt have to work my shift because he already had "someone" to cover for me. i was so happy that i thought i was imagining things lol. so things went so much smoother for me i got to travel around boston for a bit. also wen i went to the con i had the best time of my life. i skipped skool on friday and wen i came home sunday i just collapsed in my bed cause i barely slept as well lol I love anime boston and I cant wait till 09. Also another funny thing that AB 09 will be crazier for me cause my graduation lands on AB day 1 so im gonna be even more excited i have ab in da morning afternoon my graduation and wen i come back dat same night, ill be making it to the dance lol I just can't Wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

As soon as my boss got the 2009 calendar for time off requests, I arranged a meeting to get the list of days I have off. I'm getting married next July, and we're not going on the honeymoon til September (don't worry, we're both anime freaks). Anywho, I presented the list of all the time off I needed, including Wed. May 20th, til sun. the 24th. My boss asked if this was for the wedding. I explained that I was going on a mini vacation to Boston for a very popular convention thing. I needed wednesday to pack *grins* and I would be returning on Sunday. It was awesome to find out Mon. the 25th was a holiday, so I get the recovery day I didn't even plan for! Good times :)
Cosplays-2007,2008(Misato/Evangelion), 2009(Lucy/Elfen Lied), 2010(SIM), 2011(gothic SIM), 2012(Mara Jade), 2013(female mandalorian), 2014(female mandalorian, Alice(OUATIW)

AMV's-2011(Adversity), 2013(Animosity of the Feline Species)

H-AMV's-2009(The Hentai King), 2010(Yaoi Love), 2011(Supertight), 2012(Share the Load)
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

i know what you mean i want to nail shool in the spring so my parents might let me go the whole weekend if the people bringing me do to. Can somone say dance!