For the sake of Anime Boston

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2008.
ochibicake
AB Staff

Post by ochibicake »

I once did all four of my final exams a week in advance (did not sleep for three days), then commandeered the adjacent (empty) dorm room to become my secret sewing basecamp. Needless to say, it was amazing.

The mundanes did not understand this and laughed at me when I nearly fainted from exhaustion. Obviously, even being in art school does not save some people.
Anime Boston Cosplay Repair Staff '17, '18, '19
Bakugo Katsuki is a child of Apollo
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=KitKat]My dress for the ball 2 years ago was $200, I never wore it again and didn't even get good pictures. This year I've put in $100 for my sumomo cosplay, she's not done yet and I'm taking on Edgeworth for the ball. [/quote]
Hehe. Lightweight. :D
I generally take a half day off of work on Thursdays and all day on Friday for AB.
So far as sacrificing something for it.... do the MONTHS of preperation time count?
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

Im even hearing rumors that some people are giving up their high school proms for the sake of anime boston next year
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

Post by Anime Freak 1234 »

They are Saints
tehponkey
Getting the hang of this...

Post by tehponkey »

My first Anime Boston was in 2007 and to get out of my one class on friday I told my professor that I was going to a convention on Japanese culture. She let me have the day off from class as long as I brought her a postcard or something, so I got her a small print from the Artist's Alley. AB '08 was easier though: it was the last weekend of my spring break! I got lucky again this year because I will already be out of school for the summer.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

I like when it's Memorial Day weekend. Means a lot of us have the Monday holiday to slowly shift back to non-con lifestyle.

For 2010, where it will be on Easter weekend (again), many people will be facing the same sitch as AB'08: visit family or go to AB?
^_^
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=Fetch]I like when it's Memorial Day weekend. Means a lot of us have the Monday holiday to slowly shift back to non-con lifestyle.

For 2010, where it will be on Easter weekend (again), many people will be facing the same sitch as AB'08: visit family or go to AB?
^_^[/quote]

the only reason i got to go last year was i had my mom pay for me and all my costumes(and by her pay i mean, i work my a** off around the house for months), make commitments to people for panels/masquerade stuff, and have a room booked.

she found out a month before that it was easter weekend, and she was upset and i think actually wrote to AB staff asking them to change the date of the con... a month before the con _>;;
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Raver Gaara]she found out a month before that it was easter weekend, and she was upset and i think actually wrote to AB staff asking them to change the date of the con... a month before the con <_<;;;[/quote]
I got a few people asking me to change the date back when I was chair in 2005 and 2006...so she wasn't alone.

AB is booked at the Hynes and Sheraton through 2013, but they've only announced dates through 2010 so far.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Conventions have to arrange space at least 18 months ahead of time in Boston. The earlier they can lock down dates the better for them.

AB has set dates out to 2013? That very good. Now, let us hope that all those weekends are in April or May. March is too early in the year.
jessica
Committed Poster

Post by jessica »

[quote=Destro]Im even hearing rumors that some people are giving up their high school proms for the sake of anime boston next year[/quote]

I gave up graduating high school to go to AB. *shrug*

[quote=PatrickD]AB is booked at the Hynes and Sheraton through 2013, but they've only announced dates through 2010 so far.[/quote]

While this makes me happy, I sincerely hope AB does not fall into the recession hole, like so many other things. :(
supernaturalfanatic
Determined Poster

Post by supernaturalfanatic »

My friends and I are giving up our junior prom (its the Friday of AB this year).
Rekighya
I'm new!

Post by Rekighya »

I, regrettably, am a very academic person. I couldn't miss school like that... even if I really wanted to...

I would gladly miss any dance or social gathering for it though...

And it is good to hear that anime boston will be around until 2013 no matter what! It should stay around forever because if it leaves... I'll be upset. T.T
MewMewBlackberry
Getting the hang of this...

Post by MewMewBlackberry »

[quote=Rekighya]I, regrettably, am a very academic person. I couldn't miss school like that... even if I really wanted to...[/quote]
I would skip school if I could, but since I'm not out of High school yet, I have to go by my mum and dad's rules, and that means no skipping school. :(
chaosking900
Expert Poster

Post by chaosking900 »

[quote=supernaturalfanatic]My friends and I are giving up our junior prom (its the Friday of AB this year).[/quote]

Bleh, if I had the choice of my Senior prom or AB, I wouldnt ever give it a second thought. I rather spend time at AB meeting new people and making new friends while having the most amazing time of my life then just going to another dance. Anime Boston is just my little slice of heaven every year.