Explaining the con to 'normies'

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2008.
Telos
Veteran Poster

Post by Telos »

[quote=Spike Spiegel]

When I got downstairs, I saw stage mothers having
fits over the long line at Dunkin' Donuts and they
were blaming all the "freaks" for it.
[/quote]

Haha yeah. Prior to Anime North in Toronto a few years back, I was at a Subway ordering a sandwich. I warned the guy at the register to expect a spike in business in the coming days. He said he knew about the "freaks" that were going to be in town. I said, "Yeah, you're looking at one of them right now." Moment of pause, awkward giggle by the guy, and then I smiled and wished him a good day. ^_^
Ranakori
Veteran Poster

Post by Ranakori »

I've never had problems with people asking me questions. Last year one of the talent competition parents even asked me to take a picture with his daughter.

It was at Otakon, though, where a lady snatched my badge (which, being around my neck, meant invading my personal space) and asked what was going on, while I was trying to cross the street. I mean, violation of my personal bubble aside, I can't really answer a question if her leashing my neck gets me run over.
destro
Veteran Poster

Post by destro »

[quote=Telos][quote=Spike Spiegel]

[/quote]

Haha yeah. Prior to Anime North in Toronto a few years back, I was at a Subway ordering a sandwich. I warned the guy at the register to expect a spike in business in the coming days. He said he knew about the "freaks" that were going to be in town. I said, "Yeah, you're looking at one of them right now." Moment of pause, awkward giggle by the guy, and then I smiled and wished him a good day. ^_^[/quote]
Good reaction. He got what he deserved.
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

[quote=Telos][quote=Spike Spiegel]

[/quote]

Haha yeah. Prior to Anime North in Toronto a few years back, I was at a Subway ordering a sandwich. I warned the guy at the register to expect a spike in business in the coming days. He said he knew about the "freaks" that were going to be in town. I said, "Yeah, you're looking at one of them right now." Moment of pause, awkward giggle by the guy, and then I smiled and wished him a good day. ^_^[/quote]

They say the word freak like it's an insult. In Newsweek, there was this article that says 63% of people are dysfunctional. You know what that means? The freaks are normal and the normal are freaks. (Say that would make a good T-shirt)
chaosking900
Expert Poster

Post by chaosking900 »

similar experience, when im at work before coming to the con every year I stock up on food (poky, yummy! and some ramen, ect) from the store I work at. I always get a horrible stare from my supervisor and her daughter who work there because of being into anime. They seem to always comment how were freaks and gothy (saying im gothy because I dress in black sometimes) But I just smile at them as customers complement how much of a perfect boy I am. WHY CANT WE ALL BE FRIENDS? :D as someone stated you dont see many "gothy" people at the con. and We are all having fun, isnt that the point?
I_AM_KIRA
Veteran Poster

Post by I_AM_KIRA »

Eh in the old days anime in the states pretty much grew up alongside the goths,punks,skaters, Etc

If someone asks just explain nicely.
If someone's being rude just stay calm,smile, and walk away
Other than that there isn't much more you can do.

I remember last year I was leaving Dunkin Donuts (the one right near the hynes entrance in the mall)
And this lady asked what was going on so naturally I would have explained
Bu her friend was there and told her everything.
And it soo cool cuz her friend she was into some anime and Jrock!!!!
And I had on some random Jrock cosplay so we kinda chatted for a bit.
Sadly though that was the last time I saw her
Seeing as how she wasn't there for the con and we didn't exchange contact info.
But yeah you can't dismiss anyone whose not in cosplay or not at the con as a "normie" ye might be surprised![color:orange][/color]
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

Post by Anime Freak 1234 »

i got the best one of all.

Try explaning to my parents, the ultimate norms. why there was a guy dressed up as a catgirl on one of my photos.
IonAurora
Experienced Poster

Post by IonAurora »

Really?

We got no weird looks when me and my friend went to go get something to eat.

The_Kurro_Thing
Veteran Poster

Post by The_Kurro_Thing »

I think I had a similar experience to someone on page 1. I was reading the paper, because it had an article about AB in it, and some little old lady comes and sits on the bench and asks me what's going on. So I explained anime and cons and cosplay to her, and this is what I get in response: 'Oh. Neat.' And then she got up and walked away.

One of the best experiences was when some little girl was asking her mom "Why are there so many freaks at the mall? Like that one," and she pointed to my friend. We were on the escalators to go to the Cheesecake Factory. We just started laughing, and when we got off, the girl just stuck her nose in the air, and went "Freaks" and stomped off. Her mom asked us what was going on while we were waiting for a table.
kikyo291
Experienced Poster

Post by kikyo291 »

[color:purple]explanation:[/color] Anime Boston is basically church for weirdozzz-^^-
AB '07: Sasuke
AB '08: Umbreon
AB '09: Yuuki cross, pikachu
AB '10: Yuuki, pika, Kikyo, SH nurse
AB '11: Black rock shooter, pikachu, Yuuki