THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

This forum is dedicated to sharing stories, photos, and other discussion related to Anime Boston 2008.
Mana
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Mana »

Seriously, did about the entire convention get sick after anime boston?

I'm pretty sure there was a dirty kid spreading viruses.... I've talked to over 20+ people and they're all very sick.

anyone else catch the boston plague of doom?
patamon
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by patamon »

I was sick before the con, and I'm pretty sure that the convention (i.e. the wait in line) made it much worse. I've missed 2.5 days of work this week. I'll never be able to get that money back :(
Zumie
Getting the hang of this...

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Zumie »

I'm sick after the con too--actually had my temperature spike to 104 degrees. O.o Not fun.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by H. Guderian »

I'm fine, my sister is down, actually hitting its peak now. Odd~
Gollum
Veteran Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Gollum »

It would be interesting to take a survey and find out how many of the people who are sick actually got enough sleep, ate properly, drank plenty of water, etc. It is easy to get run down during a con and I know a lot of people that push themselves, thus making themselves more vulnerable to regular illnesses. And this year was a bad year for illnesses going around. This is where the term "Con Plague" comes from.
Versipellis
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Versipellis »

I was just getting over a cold for the con, so I didn't get any worse except just tired. XD
It definitely was a bad sickness season, though. Not eating/drinking/sleeping might have helped but it wasn't all of it. -says one that didn't do much of any of them-
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Syagria »

So true. I was fine (albeit tired) Monday and Tuesday, but today I've got the beginning rumblings of a cold. While I think I probably encountered the germs from all the people at AB, the fact that I let myself get utterly dehydrated and was up until 2 am every night is no one's fault but my own! I think the real kicker was not the con, but the fact that my obnoxious upstairs neighbor had his tv on until 1 am Sunday and Monday nights so I didn't get the sleep I wanted to get. :(
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Vanguard
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Vanguard »

I did get light-headed, and stiff shoulders, but that had more to do with the wait in line, I'm surprised the worst I got was a mild headache, considering I was awake for 60+ hours. (and I swore I would never attend a convention the Vagrant's way again >.<)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Kogarashi »

I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of attendees got sick, what with the close quarters and the chilly weather keeping everyone packed together, on top of lots of people not getting enough sleep, good enough food, or enough showers. Plus all the hand-shaking, railing-touching, money-exchaning going on without any good hand-washing in between would exacerbate it.

However, I managed to get enough sleep, and ate fruit, PBJ sandwiches, snap peas, and granola bars with plenty of water (exception being dinner Friday, which was Chinese food from the food court).

All I had was a persistent dry cough that I'd been suffering the past three weeks, which seems to be mostly gone now. My baby was suffering the same (hers was more of a wet cough), and she's still congested, but she's been so since about February. Dang winter weather....

Hubby's just fine, but he's a compulsive hand-washer thanks to working in a bacteria lab. He's also a stickler for healthy food.
Mana
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Mana »

i feel like im dying aahahaha..

BUT I HAS TEH DRUGS
DRUGS
I
HAS
THEM

i love antibiotics
elphaba
Dedicated Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by elphaba »

I'm suffering from con plague.......the sore throat is pretty much over, but now I have a hacking cough and almost no voice. I know exactly what to blame it on: walking from the Marriott to the convention in dance clothes *curses self for being an idiot*

My #1 lesson learned this year: PACK MORE THAN DANCE CLOTHES AND COSPLAY!

Edit: Didn't know that the "R" word would be replaced with dance.....lol
nyuuchan

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by nyuuchan »

Me and My friend Josh rooming in the same room we both got sick at the same time at the con but he got it worse then me all i got was a dry throat stuffy nose and thats it :P
Renzokuken
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Renzokuken »

It's amazing that I got almost no sleep, and barely ate, yet i feel fine. Although the whole not really eating thing threw off my metabolism.

eh, other than being really tired...i think i avoided any sickness.
AB2012 Planned Cosplays

- Lady (Devil May Cry 3)
- Gijinka Oki (Okami)
- Disgaea Thief (Disgaea 2)
nyuuchan

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by nyuuchan »

i got like 1 hour of sleep the whole time i was there... the throat hurt like hell tho... josh lost his voice...we couldn't help but laugh cause he sounded like a pervert xD
Renzokuken
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Renzokuken »

[quote=nyuuchan]i got like 1 hour of sleep the whole time i was there... the throat hurt like hell tho... josh lost his voice...we couldn't help but laugh cause he sounded like a pervert xD [/quote]

I got some sleep, but my friend (who i shared a bed with) has a habit of kicking me in her sleep...and she had all her gloomy bears on the bed too.
AB2012 Planned Cosplays

- Lady (Devil May Cry 3)
- Gijinka Oki (Okami)
nyuuchan

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by nyuuchan »

that sucks im sorry i got to sleep between to girls that cuddled me for warmth i WANT!
Renzokuken
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Renzokuken »

[quote=nyuuchan]that sucks im sorry i got to sleep between to girls that cuddled me for warmth i WANT![/quote]

Well, even though i didnt sleep much, i can say that i was warm and comfortable...until the alarm clock went off.
AB2012 Planned Cosplays

- Lady (Devil May Cry 3)
- Gijinka Oki (Okami)
nyuuchan

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by nyuuchan »

im sorry :( that sound sucky
Renzokuken
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Renzokuken »

[quote=nyuuchan]im sorry :( that sound sucky[/quote]

eh, its all better once you have coffee :p
AB2012 Planned Cosplays

- Lady (Devil May Cry 3)
- Gijinka Oki (Okami)
nyuuchan

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by nyuuchan »

true so very true
takmatsumotojr

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by takmatsumotojr »

yeah, i'm with patamon on this one, was kinda sick before i went, got worse a day or so after saturday.
i only went 2 days :'(

and i'm still sick ><
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by basharoftheages »

I've had bronchitis for the past... almost 4 weeks now. Brought a bit of that to the con with me.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Larielle
Veteran Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Larielle »

There's another thread on this topic here: showtopic.php?tid/5234/post/83212/hl//f ... h/1/#83212

I've felt steadily worse since Monday and had to stay home from school today. 7_7 It's... suckeh.
Robin291
Veteran Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Robin291 »

this is odd O.o nobody i know has gotten particually sick. my entire group of about 7 people none of us got ill. I suffered about two days of Congitas{voice loss due to con} but thats not a surprise, all the yelling into my cell phone over main events, screaming at main events, fangirl squeeling and almost constant talking added to a serious lack of water all weekend will shoot out anyone's voice. i actually suffered less congitas from AB then i did from AAC this past year.
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by AliceTanzer »

There is a goodly number of staff with some sort of devil-cold. Its evil, EVIL I say!
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by kiarrens »

My plague started early on Saturday morning with a cough. I just figured it was from smoking, even though I didn't have time to go out and smoke as often as I usually do away from the con.

Then, backstage at the masq, it hit me like the proverbial ton of bricks. If people wondered why my group was late coming up for our award, it was mostly due to that. I was sitting in the back half-dead leaning on my friend for support and didn't register our group name.

Sunday was hell, I was trying to hold in my coughing fits all during chess.... and work since then has been worse than hell. The cold has now gone beyond the mere cough/tiredness/aches pains to full-blown coughing, sneezing, chills and runny nose. Thankfully the weekend is fast approaching.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
kitkatiswack

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by kitkatiswack »

Ugh, yeah! I was horribly sick this past week. I have had practically everything. It hit me Sunday night, starting with extreme exhaustion and a sore throat until I had a fever, a headache, body aches, nausea, coughing, stuffy nose, and ear aches. Oh, and to top it all of today I lost my voice. I have only been attending school for MCAS testing, and leaving straight after. I am dead. x_x
DragonPup
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by DragonPup »

I feel fine!

Actually, I've caught ConCold more than a few times in the past, and this is my advice to avoiding it in the future...

-Take a multi-vitamin in the morning.
-Have a glass of OJ before you leave.
-Eat a real breakfast.
-Consume fresh fruit(apples go great in your bag since at worst they get bruised. Carrots work for the veggie lovers, too). I would recommand not buying fruit at the convention center because it is criminally over priced.
-Water. Ease up on the soda and take in water as your primary fluid.
-Wash your hands often. Like every couple of hours duck into the rest room and use the sink and the soap dispenser, or that water-less soap they got in the rest rooms.
-Have a good night's sleep.

Hey, maybe 'Surviving a Con' can be a good idea for next year's panel.
Krazykloud9
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Krazykloud9 »

Maybe next year, I'll follow that advice. I'm dealing with a stuffy nose. I know it's not the worst thing, but it's really annoying
guardianhunter
Determined Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by guardianhunter »

[quote=DragonPup]I feel fine!

Actually, I've caught ConCold more than a few times in the past, and this is my advice to avoiding it in the future...

-Take a multi-vitamin in the morning.
-Have a glass of OJ before you leave.
-Eat a real breakfast.
-Consume fresh fruit(apples go great in your bag since at worst they get bruised. Carrots work for the veggie lovers, too). I would recommand not buying fruit at the convention center because it is criminally over priced.
-Water. Ease up on the soda and take in water as your primary fluid.
-Wash your hands often. Like every couple of hours duck into the rest room and use the sink and the soap dispenser, or that water-less soap they got in the rest rooms.
-Have a good night's sleep.

Hey, maybe 'Surviving a Con' can be a good idea for next year's panel.[/quote]

Excellent!!!
Take notes and apply and run it!!!!
We'll get staff to help or if we do "Wanna Staff a Con" panel, we can add it to!!!

Awesome idea, though. Seriously!!!
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

Maybe my not getting sick is due to the antibiotics I've been taking for my acne.

But I have been feeling kinda queasy today and yesterday . . .
agiganticpanda
AB Alumni

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by agiganticpanda »

Well people usually get sick when not eating correctly,not getting enough sleep, overexerting themselves and meeting a large amount of people with a large amount of germs in a short amount of time.

But, naw... why get sick at an anime con?
LizNeedsACharacter

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by LizNeedsACharacter »

[quote=elphaba]I'm suffering from con plague.......the sore throat is pretty much over, but now I have a hacking cough and almost no voice. I know exactly what to blame it on: walking from the Marriott to the convention in dance clothes *curses self for being an idiot*

My #1 lesson learned this year: PACK MORE THAN DANCE CLOTHES AND COSPLAY!

Edit: Didn't know that the "R" word would be replaced with dance.....lol[/quote]

OMG I did the same thing... Formal dress: check, cosplay outfit: check, wig, make-up, pajamas, dark tank top and capris to wear under cosplay: check. I FORGOT NORMAL CLOTHING!

The R word? lol *confused*

I caught the con plague as well; I actually think it's the flu as I haven't been eating much and I've had fever, chills, etc. etc. I've missed class and was actually sent home from work at 11 in the morning as I was seriously falling down, stumbling around sick.

Then again, I did stay in a friend's dorm at BU for the duration of the trip... The bathroom was a little scary; Maybe that's where I picked it up from?
JM Scion

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by JM Scion »

Oh god, it's me. I went to both my GEDs and AB with a cold because I was damned determined not to miss either. My girlfriend even said it would be funny if I ended up infecting all of Anime Boston, like some sort of anti-anime bioweapon. And that's just what happened. I AM THE BIOWEAPON }:|
BluexArcher
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by BluexArcher »

Well.. I had a slight cough the day after, but other than that I was fine o.O.. But then again I have a pretty sturdy immune system so..
name pending
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by name pending »

for me i have like the worst immune system (i cant even take vitamins) so it was enevitable that i would get sick. for me its massive headaches (typical, a wonderful runny nose (which makes me wonder...how r there so many god dammed snotz) and and feaver. for the rest of you get well soon!
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Eilonnwy »

First I was just tired from the grueling hours I pulled working Reg, but then yesturday I got food poisoning, and now I feel like I'm coming down with something.

Guess I caught it. ><
name pending
Experienced Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by name pending »

i blame the trekies....
Bamboozle
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Bamboozle »

i wasnt sick til tues night. my temp was 104 yesterday.
VoD
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by VoD »

...XDXD

Funny, because...I think all of my friends got a scratchy throat/cough type thing. Not even lying. XD
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by H. Guderian »

Exactly what happened to my sis, she sompletely tanked Tuesday.

Also worth a note, stress makes you vulnerable. I dare wager that the convention is a teensy bit stressful.
Nashida
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Nashida »

Both me and my friend Justin have caught the ConCold. It struck me Monday night with the weird back-of-the throat scratch feeling and soreness, a massive headache, earache, the whole shebang. Haven't had a fever yet but I've felt small spikes of heat here and there.

I don't know about him but I'm blaming my case on overglomping, eating only breakfast, and getting 1 hour of sleep the whole con weekend. There'd be days where I didn't eat anything because I didn't feel hungry, so I'd get a drink instead.

Luckily I'm back on campus and have Dayquil and Nyquil at my disposal, and Airborne.
Axel (KHII): AB07,AB08 (Cosplay Chess-Team Evil)
Reno(FF:AC): AB10
Riley (Pokemon): AB11
N Harmonia (Pokemon): AB12
deviantART Cosplay.comFacebookMy website
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Nashida]
Luckily I'm back on campus and have Dayquil and Nyquil at my disposal, and Airborne. [/quote]
I'd stick with the "quil" family if I were you...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=87937907
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by ShadowWolf »

All I can say is that: there is research to be done on the people who are still alive...
KitKat
Obsessed Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by KitKat »

If anyone goes to the doctor, PLEASE let us know what they say. I dont want me and the BF in the hospital for untreated whooping cough or anything serious like that
InvaderFlak
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by InvaderFlak »

I went back to work the next day with a pulled side and minor foot blistering.

Since I had about 4 plates of sushi during the trip, Monday was a bit stomach-testing. Haven't had any problems since.

I'm good.
TwinEnigma
Determined Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by TwinEnigma »

Blisters, papercuts and overuse tendinitis for me in my drawing hand. I've been barred from drawing for two weeks on medical advice and slapped in a brace.

My throat is also flat out ruined. I apologized when I had to go on air Thursday morning for my radio show. I don't think it's Con Plague (the shouting can't have done me very much good), but I'm hitting it with Robitussin all the same since it's made me start to cough a bit.
Haruhi-lover

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Haruhi-lover »

I went to the doctor and he just said I had a severe cold. I've had it since Friday night at the con when my fever was than 104 but now I feel a little better the pills made my sore throat go away. I rarely get sick i don't know what was going on at the con everyone seems to have the same thing.
Nashida
Expert Poster

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by Nashida »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=Nashida]
Luckily I'm back on campus and have Dayquil and Nyquil at my disposal, and Airborne. [/quote]
I'd stick with the "quil" family if I were you...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=87937907[/quote]

Mrrp. I probably just made my whole problem worse...I bought the powdered "to-go" stuff last fall and thought it worked fine..

Oh well, "Quil" to the very end...*pops 2 Nyquil and curls up with some manga*

Thank god the weekend's coming...being a full-time day college student with 8:30 classes doesn't help in the "sleep-it-off-and-it'll-go-away" department.
Axel (KHII): AB07,AB08 (Cosplay Chess-Team Evil)
Reno(FF:AC): AB10
Riley (Pokemon): AB11
N Harmonia (Pokemon): AB12
deviantART Cosplay.comFacebookMy website
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

THE BOSTON PLAGUE?

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Nashida][
Thank god the weekend's coming...being a full-time day college student with 8:30 classes doesn't help in the "sleep-it-off-and-it'll-go-away" department.[/quote]
Neither does working 8-5 every day and having to walk two blocks through downtown Hartford to get to work. ><
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009