Announcing: The Starlight Ball

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
bchan
Veteran Poster

Post by bchan »

Ok, thanks so much for the help! that was just one of the ideas i had floating around so no big. =p

but i like the bad romance idea! =O *adds to list*
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

For a Lady Gaga suggestion that would work-- you could do this dress, just in a different fabric that it not BRIGHT RED PLEATHER:

http://roflrazzi.wordpress.com/files/20 ... e-club.jpg

Maybe a velvet would look nice...
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Not to go off the topic of cosplaying, but I find it curious that you would title it "The Starlight Ball" considering the theme is science and Starlight really isn't scienc-y.
bchan
Veteran Poster

Post by bchan »

oooh i like that too! thanks =D
ahh so many ideas cant decide! lol
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Well beaker-ball, circuit-ball and tesla-ball all seemed to lack something, so we went with a space themed ball. Which is very much in the science/sci-fi realm. I mean last year it was named the Black Orchid Ball, and that was a bit of a stretch. This is certainly closer. Also we recieved a fair amount of criticism because people thought the ball theme was decided *first* and then dictated the con theme. Which is the opposite of true, so after that we made a conscious the decision to make the ball theme a slightly less literal interpretation.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=Edokun]One more question.. girl characters aren't required to wear dresses, right? You said girls dressed up as guys aren't required to but what about girl characters?

My character is female but wears a military uniform. And wouldn't be caught dead in a dress... It'd be a bit sexist to require all girl characters to wear a dress when for many it'd be quite out of character. =/ I'd asked before about the uniform but I didn't really think about this little detail until recently ^^;[/quote]

Just one quick thing. Also in keeping with gender equality women who want to wear slacks are required to wear a jacket. If men can't come in slacks and a shirt neither can girls. There are some very cute women's jackets out there though. H&M has a decent selection with a reasonable price point, it's were i get my suits.
Hope McChesney
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

[quote=Hopallee]Well beaker-ball, circuit-ball and tesla-ball all seemed to lack something, so we went with a space themed ball. Which is very much in the science/sci-fi realm. I mean last year it was named the Black Orchid Ball, and that was a bit of a stretch. This is certainly closer. [/quote]

You know I never thought of it that way.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

[quote=Hopallee]Well beaker-ball, circuit-ball and tesla-ball all seemed to lack something, so we went with a space themed ball. [/quote]

<3 you, Hope.

:D

LOL TESLA BALL.
(I kind of LIKE that one!)
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

[quote=Hopallee][quote=Edokun]One more question.. girl characters aren't required to wear dresses, right? You said girls dressed up as guys aren't required to but what about girl characters?

My character is female but wears a military uniform. And wouldn't be caught dead in a dress... It'd be a bit sexist to require all girl characters to wear a dress when for many it'd be quite out of character. =/ I'd asked before about the uniform but I didn't really think about this little detail until recently ^^;[/quote]

Just one quick thing. Also in keeping with gender equality women who want to wear slacks are required to wear a jacket. If men can't come in slacks and a shirt neither can girls. There are some very cute women's jackets out there though. H&M has a decent selection with a reasonable price point, it's were i get my suits.
[/quote]
H&M is great for those who like a more fitted look, which I do. I have a few blazers from them. :)
kimnamjoon
Determined Poster

Post by kimnamjoon »

[quote=ZenErik][quote=Hopallee][quote=Edokun]One more question.. girl characters aren't required to wear dresses, right? You said girls dressed up as guys aren't required to but what about girl characters?

[/quote]
H&M is great for those who like a more fitted look, which I do. I have a few blazers from them. :)[/quote]

Well, mine will be wearing a military uniform. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to show up and be told i'd need a dress since my character is a woman. ^^; Thank you, though <3
anony
I'm new!

Post by anony »

are these shoes okay
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/04/89/40 ... 15X215.jpg

p.s. i can't wear heals at all
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

You are by no means obligated to wear heals, but as far as flats go those are pretty informal. And honestly the rubberize soles will stick to the dance floor making dancing difficult, and rubberized soles also leve scuffs on the dance floor. They're basically modified tennis sneakers. So you should skip them for something less athletic shoe http://www.sharplily.com/wp-content/021707_flats.jpg
Hope McChesney
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Tickets will be on sale once we get a better idea of the start time, it should be a few weeks. It's only one person per ball ticket and you can buy your formal ticket only after you've registered for the convention so there is no need to wait.
Hope McChesney
jestysaur
Experienced Poster

Post by jestysaur »

This might be an incredibly stupid question, but I just want to make sure~

My friend and I will be going as Rin and Len Kagamine, the vocaloids. We were considering going to the ball, but we're not sure what to convert our outfits to, yet.

Is this too informal? I know we'd at least have to trade the boots in for dress shoes, and drop the hem line, but I'd rather check on the outfit, so we know if we need to find something else.
http://kazasou.files.wordpress.com/2009 ... caloid.jpg
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

You're alterations would make the outfit fine. If you want a super easy way to make them formal (of course drop the shoes) make the outfit as is and just make a quick knee length skirt to go under the pink layers you have.
Hope McChesney
jestysaur
Experienced Poster

Post by jestysaur »

Alright.

Thank you very much. <3
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=AnimeNey]Someone told me that, in years past, when he attended the ball, he had to wait 3+ hours just to get in. He had purchased his ticket ahead of time. So, I was wondering, is it normal to have to wait in line this long because, as he said, "someone has to check every ticket?" This story seemed suspect to me, and I want to make sure that I have both sides.
Thanks! *^_^*[/quote]

Well we have to check every ticket, other wise there wouldn't be any point in having tickets now would there?

The first year we have about 1,200 people show up, which was waaaay too many fit in the room thus there was a really long and unfortunate wait. We dealt with this by handing out tickets. Now the wait to get tickets in person last year was about 45 mins (we actually forbid people from lining up more than 30 mins before the tickets are released to reduce this), and you can avoid this by purchasing a ticket online (should be up pretty soon actually) the other wait is that we have two staffers running dress code checks at the door so people who show up early create a long line and it takes us about 20 mins to go through the bulk of it. We don't like lines either and we do our best to reduce the wait time for everything, but for an event that sells out its partially unavoidable.

My recommendation? Pre-register so you're ready to buy an online ticket when they come online and don't show up 30 mins before the ball starts, show up 10-15 mins after the start time when the intial line has cleared, you're ticket will be good for entry at any time, we don't give them away. If you're smart about it there's nor reason to wait more than 25 mins or so for both online ticket pick-up and the entry line.
Hope McChesney
Lonesurvivor
Determined Poster

Post by Lonesurvivor »

I'm planning on attending the ball for the first time, and i was wondering (hope you weren't asked this already) is it alright if i wear my alchemist (Roy Mustang) uniform with dress shoes to the ball. I did see the list of things that are acceptable and i just wanted to double check is all.
AB 2013
Col. Roy Mustang (FMA)
Leon Scott Kennedy (Resident Evil Series)
Dib (Invader Zim)
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

I actually already did answer this question earlier in this thread.

The Fullmetal Alchemist military uniforms are appropriate as long as the boots are replaced with dress shoes.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
Lonesurvivor
Determined Poster

Post by Lonesurvivor »

Thank u :) !! Really appreciate it!
AB 2013
Col. Roy Mustang (FMA)
Dib (Invader Zim)
poptarts_n_pixistix
Veteran Poster

Post by poptarts_n_pixistix »

I have a yukata from kimono-yukata-market.com and I was wondering if it was suitable?

They don't sell it anymore, so here's a picture of the design (the flowers are a bit more vibrant, it was just bright in the room, and it will be ironed out). It has a traditional yellow obi to match.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/ ... 001526.jpg

Looks like this opened up, only my design:
http://kimono-yukata-market.com/catalog ... ge1921.jpg
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

That outfit will be just fine just take note of one part of the dress code:

"Those dressed in formal Japanese clothing may wear zori sandals with tabi socks for footwear. Geta and zori sandals are difficult to dance in and thus not recommended. "

They really are pretty impossible to move in especially as a girl trying to ballroom dance, as you move backwards the whole time. We recommend flats instead but in the end it's up to you.
Hope McChesney
Aurhora
I'm new!

Post by Aurhora »

Hi, I have a quick question. My boyfriend and I are planning on attending Anime Boston as Link and Princess Zelda from Twilight Princess, and we'd love to attend the ball. My costume is listed on the inspirations page, and I'll be changing my boots out for high heels, so I'm all set, I think.
http://thewiiremedia.revolutionreport.n ... 1/5291.jpg

The question is his costume. Is there ANY way to change his normal, daytime costume to something more formal for the ball? If not he'll probably just come dressed in Western attire.

http://revolutionmedia.ign.com/revoluti ... 454171.jpg
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

The princess out fit is perfectly fine, but link's outfit is really a woodsman outfit. It isn't formal by todays standards and it isn't formal by period standards. Now I have seen formal versions of link done quite nicely. I've seen people wear a greek jacket, white pants with a green fedora. I've also seen people people adapt his outfit to actually match formal renaissance/medival period attire. Like modern attire a key diffence between formal and informal attire for men is normally that formal attire has at least two layers.

Informal period outfit example.

Formal period wear example.
Hope McChesney
Lonesurvivor
Determined Poster

Post by Lonesurvivor »

Just curious, how much will a ticket cost? I'm kinda balancing my finances at the moment.
AB 2013
Col. Roy Mustang (FMA)
Dib (Invader Zim)
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

They're $3 and all the procedes go to charity, you think you can manage that? :-P

They're really just a place holder. The first year we had tickets we made them free and tons of people (the majority of people who got them pre-con actually) snapped them up "just in case" and never came. So we charge a nominal fee that we inturn give to benefit medical research and it seems to have solved that problem.
Hope McChesney
Rainaxa
I'm new!

Post by Rainaxa »

I'm so incredibly excited about the starlight ball, but to the moderators: I have a question about my attire. Is it alright if I wore this :
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gothic-Lolita-victo ... 3efd111a20
to the Starlight Ball? The description states that it is knee length, but I'm also aware that that length is the minimum. I just want to check before I buy it. :)
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

That dress will be fine. I think it's cute.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Post by Mama Undertaker »

I have spent a lot of time working on this particular cosplay and alterations need to make it good for the ball. I was curiuos if this would be allowed before I bring it and find out its not ok. So is this dress ok for the ball or do I need to hit the drawing board for the design again?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j75/D ... ure049.jpg

My friends say it should work but they also say ask just in case so I am asking.
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

That dress can work for the ball, provided the front hem is at least knee-length (it's hard to judge length on a dressmaker's dummy). However, the long train will drag behind you, and will be stepped on, most likely by you. In ballroom dance, the woman spends a great deal of time moving backward. I caution you to re-think that train.

Out of curiosity, though, who are you cosplaying as?
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Post by Mama Undertaker »

The character is Aries the Steller spirit from the Manga/anime Fairy tail.
She also has long fur gloves and boots though the boots will be changed for the evening. The dres lands about 2 inche above the knee. Guess its back to he drawing board ^_^ thank you so much.
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
Dragonrider-ari
I'm new!

Post by Dragonrider-ari »

Another question about a dress.~

I highly doubt I could get away with this dress. Although it's knee length in the back, it's shorter in the front.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... ink:top:en

So could I put a black ruffly skirt underneath and make it knee length? Would this be ok?
EDIT: also, are the leg warmers formal, or no?
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

Yes, you can put another skirt underneath that dress to lengthen it. That would be fine. Legwarmers, however, are not formal.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Dragonrider-ari
I'm new!

Post by Dragonrider-ari »

alright, thanks. :D
Lonesurvivor
Determined Poster

Post by Lonesurvivor »

Any idea when tickets are going to be available? Cause i was hoping it would be sometime this month :( .
AB 2013
Col. Roy Mustang (FMA)
Dib (Invader Zim)
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=Lonesurvivor]Any idea when tickets are going to be available? Cause i was hoping it would be sometime this month :( .[/quote]

its going to be sometime this month, if it wasn't, then they would be posted after the con was over :P

I know what you mean though, I want to buy my tickets soon too >.<
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

Tickets should actually be up some time in the next few days. We apologize for the delay but we really did not want to sell tickets until were were at least 90% of the time slot and the scheduling has been a dozy this year. So keep you're eyes peeled on the website.
Hope McChesney
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

Is there any fabric requirement for dresses? Like, is there a fabric considered too informal?

I've been looking at a bunch of lolita dresses, and quite a few of them are made from cotton. While I wouldn't call cotton a formal fabric in the least, would it get by should the dress be nice enough?
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

To answer your first question, yes, a fabric can be too informal; flannel, denim and pleather are all on the dress code don'ts, off the top of my head.

Cotton is a grey area, however, and it does depend on the dress. If in doubt, post a picture for us to decide.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

you just said that pleather was on the dont list, but would an accessory made of pleather be ok? not sure yet if I'd have it with me or not, but just want to ask first.

Also, my character isn't one that would really be recognized without one other character next to him, or a particular prop.
If I were to have a painted styrofoam ball would that be allowed in?
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

I haven't made a decision quite yet, but some of the ones I was looking at are:

I think you get the idea. :p
(Also; I have verified inch measurements to ensure they're all knee-length)
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=Secret Duckie]I haven't made a decision quite yet, but some of the ones I was looking at are:

I think you get the idea. :p
(Also; I have verified inch measurements to ensure they're all knee-length)[/quote]
Oooh, I really like the first, third, and fifth ones.
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

I just keep finding more and more of them! Haha. I've never owned a lolita dress, but I was thinking it would be so awesome for this occasion! Now I think I'm in love!

One big issue, though, is that most of them are made-to-order, and I don't have the time to wait for it! So that takes out a lot of the more intricate ones I'm in love with. ):

That's my fault for waiting so long, though!
Last edited by Secret Duckie on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Additional detail. :D
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

They are all pretty (I want the first one now, lol), and any one of them would be fine.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Secret Duckie
Veteran Poster

Post by Secret Duckie »

Hahaha. Hurray! Thank you!