Pre-register for Anime Boston 2010

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

This year you will be able to pre-register for 2010 a whole year in advance. Pre-registrations will be available in the dealers room at the Anime Boston Merch table for $35. The dates for Anime Boston are April 2-4th 2010

Please remember that a registration is a commitment to attend Anime Boston and that all registrations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
karriachinoryu
Veteran Poster

Post by karriachinoryu »

This... sounds like an awesome idea. :D
AB2018: My fourteenth Anime Boston! :mrgreen:
DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

Banzai! My requests and prayers have been answered!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

That's a pretty cool deal. Does the price point of $35 that far out from the date reflect a longer durration at the minimum, or a quicker ramp-up to full-price come the fall/winter time frame?
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

That is To Be Decided by the incoming divisional leadership. No definite word on this yet.

Stay tuned!
And if you REALLY have your heart set on the $35 rate, stop by the Dealers Room and pre-register! (You KNOW you are all going to go to the Dealers Room anyway...) ;)
~~ Jeni
2012 Guest Relations Division - Green Room Staff

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
PinkHairedWonder
Determined Poster

Post by PinkHairedWonder »

I am sooo going to pre-reg! My friends were amazed when they heard that I pre-reg'd in August, but to register at the con for next year? That's too good to be true...
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

I'm there, dude. Excellent idea all around!
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

Sounds like a great idea. Is there a date picked out for next year? Not knowing the date is the only thing that would keep me from pre-registering.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

April 2-4th, 2010
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

You want to update the first post to include the date, Jackie, or should I?
~~ Jeni

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get Permission" -- RADM Grace Murray Hopper - U.S. Navy
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

Post by servantofreeoth »

Since the convention for 2010 is not for a whole year, it might be wise to be sure you can make it before committing to it.....

A year is a REALLY long time to pre register for something....if something happens, and you cannot or will not go for any reason, you're out of that $35.

I'm just saying, you might want to be sure you will be going before you get a nonrefundable ticket for it a year in advance. (You are only saving $15 or so anyway...)

Spider Pride
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Spider Pride »

Dang, why on Easter? My parents might want me there. }:(
Bryguy180
Expert Poster

Post by Bryguy180 »

Pre-registering that early in advance is mostly for the geeky pride of having a really low badge number. I'm sure most of the people who pre-register at the booth will be able to attend.

On the main topic, this sounds great. I may go to the dealer's hall as soon as it opens in order to get a really early badge.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=servantofreeoth]Since the convention for 2010 is not for a whole year, it might be wise to be sure you can make it before committing to it.....

A year is a REALLY long time to pre register for something....if something happens, and you cannot or will not go for any reason, you're out of that $35.

I'm just saying, you might want to be sure you will be going before you get a nonrefundable ticket for it a year in advance. (You are only saving $15 or so anyway...)

[/quote]

I showed up for work two hours before I was scheduled so I was the first one requesting this weekend off when it was opened up.

For many of us, staff and attendee alike, we're coming, no matter what the dates. 8)
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
bluesilo
I'm new!

Post by bluesilo »

EWWWWWWWWWWWW. This is the weekend right after PAX East 2010 which I planned on going to. Since I go to Otakon I might skip Anime Boston next year so I don't go to the convention center two weekends in a row.
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

I know...your right. :)

I am only feeling that way because I particularly do not go to ANY convention that goes on....it's just TOO expensive to go to ALL of them... :)

So my point is....you might want to get some information about who the guests are.....certain cosplay events....or even panels before you commit to going.....

You may only be able to afford one convention a year, and if you sign up a year in advance for one....then you might realize you do not care much for the guests......have no interest in the main featured events...etcetera...and then your sorta outta luck...cause tickets are non refundable.....

I'm sorry for the rambling....
It's cool for everyone else who is sure they are gonna go too. :content:
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

I honestly don't think most people think that way. If they're interested in going they just go... It's a tiny minority that go to lots of cons (especially those far away) solely based on the panel / masq / etc. events that most cons copy from one another and do year after year anyways. It doesn't matter what goes on - there'll be something you like unless you're only interested in some really spicific fringe hobby within the general domain of anime fandom. It's $35 for a weekend - and most of it is pretty pre-defined. I highly doubt that 90% of the same programming won't be here next year or the year following.

The people that just come for, say, musical guests are, in many cases, just looking for a large venue concert that they won't get anywhere else.
servantofreeoth
Determined Poster

Like I was saying....I certainly do have specific tastes..... even if that is not what everyone else does...

I am not a masquerade, cosplay chess, and cosplay dating game kinda person....but I do enjoy the plushie making workshop and sewing panels/workshops. Likewise, I do not care personally for the Dances, but photo shoots or a tournament sound better....

So you see.....I do understand that some of the programming is directly the same as the previous year's convention,...but....actually a lot that I PERSONALLY like....is the stuff that is not determined until close to the convention. (like musical guests, panels, workshops, etc)

There are a lot of people going to the convention for there own reasons.....so people shouldn't generalize what they like........some people going are younger, some are teenage, and some are young adults, or adults.....they certainly do NOT like all the same stuff...

All I am saying is....if you are someone who likes those contingent events/programming, then it wouldn't be wise to sign up a year in advance.....if you like all that guaranteed year by year programming more,...than go right ahead and sign up.... :)

(wasn't trying to sound rude, just so you know...I wanted to just get my point across...sorry if I did. :blush: )
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Definitely pre-register only if you are sure you will be going. However, like Bashar said, there are many people who will go to AB no matter what the weekend or the programming, so for those people we will be able to give them the option of registering super early.

DocWatson
Dedicated Poster

Post by DocWatson »

[quote=Bryguy180]Pre-registering that early in advance is mostly for the geeky pride of having a really low badge number. I'm sure most of the people who pre-register at the booth will be able to attend.[/quote]
Actually, I do so because I know that I'm going no matter what, and I want to be certain I have a membership—that way I don't have to worry about it—it's out of the way, one less thing to remember, etc.

And it's not a year, serverantofreeoth, it's less than eleven months. :p
mjgosselin

Post by mjgosselin »

[quote=Spider Pride]Dang, why on Easter? My parents might want me there. [/quote]
When you say "there" you mean "at home", right?

Why on Easter? One word: cost. It's not a busy weekend for conventions, being Easter and all that. It's the same reason the Foxwoods Open chess tournament is on Easter weekend each year.

Well, I guess I'll be missing that tournament next year. :(
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

On the bright side, it doesn't look like it will be at the same time as Anime North so if I'm a little frugal with my money, I might be able to attend both. :) AB10 is at Easter and Anime North has traditionally been held at the end of May or the beginning of June.
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=mjgosselin][quote=Spider Pride]Dang, why on Easter? My parents might want me there. [/quote]
When you say "there" you mean "at home", right?

Why on Easter? One word: cost. It's not a busy weekend for conventions, being Easter and all that. It's the same reason the Foxwoods Open chess tournament is on Easter weekend each year.

Well, I guess I'll be missing that tournament next year. :( [/quote]

Actually it has been mentioned before by multiple staffers that the bigger reason is because of when the space is available. They want to try to avoid holding the convention on Marathon weekend and until recently have not been booking the space very far in advance so they had to take what they could get. I'm sure it also doesn't help that Easter can occur any weekend from the beginning of March to the end of April. It's hard to plan an event during this time of the year and not end up on Easter.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

It's also important to remember that while we understand many people are Christian, we are not required to adhere to the religious beliefs of our attendees when choosing those dates. That's not to say we intentionally set the dates for Easter, but sometimes it's just the way it happens.

People will have issues with any date we choose, whether it's a religious event, a sister's wedding, or another convention. It's up to our attendees to set their own priorities.
Bettina Marie
Veteran Poster

Post by Bettina Marie »

AB2008 was on an Easter weekend and that certainly didn't deter fans' from going...in fact the attendee numbers increased from the previous year, as it does every year.

So those concerned AB2010 being on an Easter weekend, you've your own choice to go or not...being Catholic myself, I have NO probs with going like I did for AB2008 and will most definitely be there for AB2010(in Artists Alley all weekend of course! XD;;)...will just mean I'll be leaving for home on Sunday instead of my usual Monday...but thankfully I'm only an hour south of Boston, so no long traveling for me and I'll be home in time for a deeeeeeliscious Easter dinner with my big family! XD also means I'll have to do all the neccessary baking for Easter in advance since I'll not be there Easter Eve to do it like usual ^_^;; but alsoalso means I'm bringing YUMMY freshly baked goods with me for the weekend! XDehe

and there be my 2 cents worth! XD
Creator/Writer/Artist of MY CAT LOKI(TOKYOPOP Inc.)

Artist Alley Vetern: 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11...
AB Guest Artist: 2007
Kilgamayan
Veteran Poster

Post by Kilgamayan »

I'm not concerned about AB2010 being on Easter Weekend so much as conflicting with SakuraCon 2010. Is there even the smallest chance this date could get changed? I'm already aware of several people upset that they have to make that choice.
The Fabulous True Adminstrator of the New England Touhou Community

Touhou Project Lead Panelist: AnimeBoston '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17; AnimeUSA '10; Otakon '11, '14; Nan Desu Kan '14
Touhou Project Panelist: Otakon '10, '12, '14, '15, '16, '17; Genericon '11, Katsucon '11, '13, '14, '15, '16
Touhou Project Fangames Lead Panelist: Otakuthon '14
RosenKreuzStilette Lead Panelist: TouhouCon '15, AnimeBoston '16
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

When we announce a date it's because we are 100% certain it will happen on that date as we have signed a contract. We can't move the dates of the convention because some people don't like when it is. This year we had 3 other conventions at the same time as us, it's bound to happen. You need to chose which convention is more important.

The date will not change from anything short of a natural disaster.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

If my money hadn't been so tight, I would have pre-regd at the con this year.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to keep watch for when the first in person prereg event at Tokyo Kid or Comicopia happens.

fyi: based on the numbers on the badges this year, prereging early might not get you a low badge number, unless you also happen to have a last name that starts with A (or maybe badge name, if they understand that most of us prefer not showing our true names to everyone)
Bryguy180
Expert Poster

Post by Bryguy180 »

Yeah, I noticed that the badge numbers were roughly alphabetical. Though, there were a few that were out of order...I'm not really sure -how- they numbered badges this year.

For 2010, will it be chronological or alphabetical? =/
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

They will be assigned by expo logic, if they did it alphabetical, then that's how it will be.
RC
Veteran Poster

Post by RC »

Even though it is on Easter weekend... I'll find a way to go. I swear this on my Death Note.

...that I don't own.
Darkvyse88
Determined Poster

Post by Darkvyse88 »

I definetly want to go, but i got to plan out my class schedule for Spring 2010, and that will not happen until November, Most likely, by AAC09, I will have a solid idea on classes for next semester and I will do it then. But I will definetly try.
Cosplay Plans for Anime Boston 2019

Friday: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)

Saturday Day: Kazuhira Miller (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
Saturday Afternoon: Robert EO Speedwagon (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
Saturday Evening: Matt McKenna

Sunday: White Blood Cell (Cells at Work)
Salith
Obsessed Poster

Post by Salith »

Easter? ugh ugh ugh >.<

well hopefully there's no college that friday?

i'll still go..just hopefully all three days
acid_fusion51
Veteran Poster

Post by acid_fusion51 »

i know for a fact we have college but i go to MMA so depends on your school. Some will let you leave and be excused because of a religious holiday. Since im so far from home, it costs like 200-300 just to have airplane tickets so its better for me to go to this, plus im already ready to go next year except im working on the cosplay still
DaftBrian

Post by DaftBrian »

The difference between Easter and Anime Boston is that at least Anime Boston makes sense.
drorain
Expert Poster

Post by drorain »

don't make an ass of yourself for the sake of being an ass, a lot of people wish to honor easter and it's not necessary to take cheap digs at their faith, anyone in the outside world could say just as much and worse about the anime fandom.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=DaftBrian]The difference between Easter and Anime Boston is that at least Anime Boston makes sense.[/quote]

I'm an atheist myself and I have things to say about religion, but this is not the place for religious debate.

Anime Boston does not discriminate against any religion or lack thereof and our forums are for Anime Boston related topics only.

This thread will be locked if there are any more comments about the holiday itself, good or bad. There will not be a flame war on Easter.
Cyberbird09

Post by Cyberbird09 »

I think it's too bad that Anime Boston is so early next year for my family's sake. I will be a senior in college working on final papers and projects during that time, my sisters are in a singing competition for their school and my cousins will be getting ready for their wedding (assuming AB was going to be in May again). We won't be able to go *sadness*
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=Cyberbird09]I think it's too bad that Anime Boston is so early next year for my family's sake. I will be a senior in college working on final papers and projects during that time, my sisters are in a singing competition for their school and my cousins will be getting ready for their wedding (assuming AB was going to be in May again). We won't be able to go *sadness* [/quote]

My fiancee and I are getting married next weekend, two weekends after this year's Anime Boston, and we still made it. That shouldn't prevent them from coming if they want to :)
Cyberbird09

Post by Cyberbird09 »

[quote=Gollum][quote=Cyberbird09]I think it's too bad that Anime Boston is so early next year for my family's sake. I will be a senior in college working on final papers and projects during that time, my sisters are in a singing competition for their school and my cousins will be getting ready for their wedding (assuming AB was going to be in May again). We won't be able to go *sadness* [/quote]

My fiancee and I are getting married next weekend, two weekends after this year's Anime Boston, and we still made it. That shouldn't prevent them from coming if they want to :)[/quote]

Yes but where are you getting married? They are in San Francisco and feel that it would be a lot of work to plan a wedding and then fly all of the way out to Boston and then have the wedding when they were done. I guess if they really wanted to do both they would want to enjoy them equally. Knowing them, I don't think they would enjoy AB quite as much if they had other major priorities. :(
Gollum
Veteran Poster

Post by Gollum »

[quote=Cyberbird09][quote=Gollum][quote=Cyberbird09]I think it's too bad that Anime Boston is so early next year for my family's sake. I will be a senior in college working on final papers and projects during that time, my sisters are in a singing competition for their school and my cousins will be getting ready for their wedding (assuming AB was going to be in May again). We won't be able to go *sadness* [/quote]

My fiancee and I are getting married next weekend, two weekends after this year's Anime Boston, and we still made it. That shouldn't prevent them from coming if they want to :)[/quote]

Yes but where are you getting married? They are in San Francisco and feel that it would be a lot of work to plan a wedding and then fly all of the way out to Boston and then have the wedding when they were done. I guess if they really wanted to do both they would want to enjoy them equally. Knowing them, I don't think they would enjoy AB quite as much if they had other major priorities. :( [/quote]

Fair enough. While ours is not in town, it is closer than San Francisco.
jmagic87
Veteran Poster

Post by jmagic87 »

the way my friends and i see it some are going to go and just leave either like 3 or 4 am sunday morning or head home at like noon to 2 pm for easter dinner

the rest of us whos famils are not as close knit are seeing it as a chance to spend easter weekend with our "extended" family
Daquri

Post by Daquri »

[color:green] SOOO Glad you guys finally did this! AnimeNEXT and Connecticon have been holding pre-reg for thier cons for the following year for ages, and I always wondered why AB, second biggest con on the East Coast, didn't. But now you have-and I used it Sunday! YAAAY! =D[/color]
Serrovin
Determined Poster

Post by Serrovin »

[quote=MikoKagome][color:green] SOOO Glad you guys finally did this! AnimeNEXT and Connecticon have been holding pre-reg for thier cons for the following year for ages, and I always wondered why AB, second biggest con on the East Coast, didn't. But now you have-and I used it Sunday! YAAAY! =D[/color][/quote]
first off, AB is THE biggest on the East coast, not second biggest, and secondly, ... when is the hotel pre-reg going to be available? The sooner i know the better, since i got my pre-reg in the dealers room, found out while i was buying my shirt, i just wanna get that out of the way asap and not have to really worry too much about it til within a few weeks, the big rush to complete costumes and organize group meats etc.
05'-Shadow Hunter(YuGiOh)
06'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
07'-Maes Hughes(FMA)
08'-Uryuu Ishida Quincy(Bleach)
09'-Xellos(Slayers)
10'-Uryuu Ishida school uniform(Bleach)
11'-Tobi/Obito/Akatsuki Orochimaru(Naruto)
12'-Kaji Ryoji(Evangelion)
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=Serrovin]
first off, AB is THE biggest on the East coast, not second biggest, and secondly, ... when is the hotel pre-reg going to be available? The sooner i know the better, since i got my pre-reg in the dealers room, found out while i was buying my shirt, i just wanna get that out of the way asap and not have to really worry too much about it til within a few weeks, the big rush to complete costumes and organize group meats etc.[/quote]

At just over 15,000 people, AB is certainly not the biggest on the East Coast con. That honor rests with Otakon which has an attendance count of over 20,000. Also, according to Anime Cons , in 2008 AB was third largest on the East Coast, with NYAF in 2nd.

AB is simply the largest in New England, meaning out of the cons in the 6 NE states MA, RI, CT, NH, ME, VT, it's the biggest.
LadyHawke
AB Alumni

Post by LadyHawke »

We do not have information on hotel blocks yet. I have no ETA on this at the moment.

Also, Anime Boston is the largest anime convention in NEW ENGLAND. Otakon is the largest anime convention on the East Coast.

www.animecons.com :thumbup:
~~ Jeni

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

[quote=Eilonnwy]AB is simply the largest in New England, meaning out of the cons in the 6 NE states MA, RI, CT, NH, ME, VT, it's the biggest. [/quote]
And unless something else pops up in Boston, it's the only con capible of being the largest because of venue size limitations in every other New England state.
Iskra
AB Alumni

Post by Iskra »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]
And unless something else pops up in Boston, it's the only con capible of being the largest because of venue size limitations in every other New England state.[/quote]

Oh sure, be a spoilsport. :p
Philip "COMMO" Cherry
RegDiv '09-'13, Registration Logistical Coordinator.
Tech '17, Jr. Staffer
0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r
Veteran Poster

Post by 0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r »

[quote=DaftBrian]The difference between Easter and Anime Boston is that at least Anime Boston makes sense.[/quote]
HA ^.^
Anime Con - Zombie Jesus

The choice is pretty clear for me.
0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r
Veteran Poster

Post by 0b5cur3 N3k0 T3rr0r »

I seriously wish i had paid more attention and seen this pre-con. Oh well. I'll just have to wait till online reg is open.