Regarding Covid-19 Policies at Anime Boston 2024

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Faceman
AB Executive

Regarding Covid-19 Policies at Anime Boston 2024

Post by Faceman »

The leadership of Anime Boston, after careful consideration, has determined to not require either Covid-19 vaccinations or masks at Anime Boston 2024, March 29-31.

Anime Boston recognizes the critical role vaccines and masks played in keeping our community safe during the Covid-19 pandemic. We continue to emphatically encourage everyone to get vaccinated and receive regular boosters, as well as wear masks if you are of high risk.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Re: Regarding Covid-19 Policies at Anime Boston 2024

Post by waynoinsano »

No shots and no masks. Thumbs up.
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

I figured this would be the case this year. By now there's enough saturation of vaccinations among the general population, that it shouldn't be absolutely necessary anymore, to do the things we were required for the last two years or so. I appreciate that some may still have to wear masks and/or get vaccinated, but by now there should be some equilibrium to the whole situation.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
Penti
Experienced Poster

Post by Penti »

I had a feeling this would happen; hoping this means that the line for badge pickup on Thursdays runs a bit faster
Attended AB: 2017, 2019, 2022-present
tanjetea
I'm new!

Post by tanjetea »

I'm disappointed to hear that the already minimal Covid safety policies at AB have been removed entirely. Last year I was not very happy with the policy, and continued to mask myself, but the thorough, clear description of the discussions and reasoning that went into the decision made them understandable and kept some faith in the AB leadership. The fact that this was only a short two sentences, without much if any crossposting to other sites is a major downgrade from that. I would like to hear more of the reasoning if at all possible to feel comfortable that the leadership is still considering their attendees safety in this and other ways. I know AB is not alone in considering the pandemic over, but cons have always spread sickness easily due to the large crowds and at the minimum a more enthusiastic support of people who still choose to mask no matter their own risk factors would be appreciated.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

tanjetea wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:27 am I'm disappointed to hear that the already minimal Covid safety policies at AB have been removed entirely. Last year I was not very happy with the policy, and continued to mask myself, but the thorough, clear description of the discussions and reasoning that went into the decision made them understandable and kept some faith in the AB leadership. The fact that this was only a short two sentences, without much if any crossposting to other sites is a major downgrade from that. I would like to hear more of the reasoning if at all possible to feel comfortable that the leadership is still considering their attendees safety in this and other ways. I know AB is not alone in considering the pandemic over, but cons have always spread sickness easily due to the large crowds and at the minimum a more enthusiastic support of people who still choose to mask no matter their own risk factors would be appreciated.
Mandates are gone everywhere. You do what you feel comfortable with and don't force others to to do something they feel is unnecessary.
BreadCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by BreadCosplay »

Going to have to agree with the "Do what makes you comfortable" sentiment. Con sickness can be avoided personally by being smart, washing your hands, not being unhygienic (for some reason every con I go to that's had a sickness outbreak ive seen at least one dude licking the floor??), and generally taking good care of yourself by eating and drinking and sleeping normally. I usually start vitamin C supplements two weeks to a week out from Day 0 to keep from getting sick. If personally masking is something you're comfortable with and makes you feel safer, by all means, mask! I will admit that the decision a lot of people made to mask in places like the Dealers Room and Artists' Alley was nice, but that was a decision they chose to make. I think personal accountability goes a long way.
>>>our carrd/socials<<<

MAJIMA'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Goro Majima (Yakuza Kiwami)
BREAD'S AB 2024 LINEUP
Sakura Minamoto (Zombieland SAGA)
raveinfield
I'm new!

Post by raveinfield »

BreadCosplay wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:22 pm Going to have to agree with the "Do what makes you comfortable" sentiment. Con sickness can be avoided personally by being smart, washing your hands, not being unhygienic (for some reason every con I go to that's had a sickness outbreak ive seen at least one dude licking the floor??), and generally taking good care of yourself by eating and drinking and sleeping normally. I usually start vitamin C supplements two weeks to a week out from Day 0 to keep from getting sick. If personally masking is something you're comfortable with and makes you feel safer, by all means, mask! I will admit that the decisioncoreball a lot of people made to mask in places like the Dealers Room and Artists' Alley was nice, but that was a decision they chose to make. I think personal accountability goes a long way.
However, if you unfortunately come into contact with an infected person, even wearing a mask will not prevent you from being infected.
Last edited by raveinfield on Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RiseWithTheMoon
AB Staff

Post by RiseWithTheMoon »

Kanechan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:59 am I figured this would be the case this year. By now there's enough saturation of vaccinations among the general population, that it shouldn't be absolutely necessary anymore, to do the things we were required for the last two years or so. I appreciate that some may still have to wear masks and/or get vaccinated, but by now there should be some equilibrium to the whole situation.
That 's the thing, there isn't any equilibrium. My LARP in NJ & New York had to reinstitute their mask/vaccine policy because the numbers started CLIMBING again. With this large a number of attendees, it doesn't feel very safe or secure.
Eleonora Alia Berezovskaya
Reg Staff 2017-Present
Kazutoification
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Kazutoification »

A lot of people have misconceptions when it comes to masks and vaccines. If my understanding is correct, the mask that you (the royal-you) wear isn't to protect yourself - it's to protect other people. While N-95 face-masks or equivalent certainly can provide you with some base level of protection, most people probably don't buy N-95's. It's important to be mindful of folks who are immuno-deficient or immuno-compromised, or folks who might live with those kinds of people.

In other words, if you have the slightest inkling of feeling ill, you should be the one to put a mask on if you decide to attend Anime Boston 2024 and you don't intend on getting somebody else ill. If you're the type who gets sick easily or frequently, you should wear a mask as well because, on the off-chance you do get sick, the mask you wear could stop the illness at you and prevent it from spreading to others. This is why the MBTA, for a while, had a masking policy that required all passengers (including those that were vaccinated) to mask up.

I'm vaccinated and have had a few boosters already. I had a recent week-long experience with COVID. I only felt ill for the first couple of days when I tested positive, and then, after that, I was feeling fine, despite still testing positive (and I decided it was safest for me to continue my isolation). This (even though it's just a personal anecdote) should be an indicator that: 1) the mRNA vaccines are meant to train your body to attack the virus. This has a two-fold effect. First, it reduces the amount of time you spend being sick (which means significantly less time that you are contagious). Second, it reduces the severity of the symptoms you experience. 2) Unless you've developed an absolute immunity to every variant (considering that many attendees come from out-of-state, as well as reinfection), it's still possible to get sick, or, worse, be an asymptomatic carrier (which I could've been, had I not been testing myself).

All of this to say that I also agree that this should be a 'do what you want' situation. I know there will be plenty of folks who will continue to mask up, even if they don't necessarily have to. Unfortunately, I just have a feeling that the people who ought to be masking up in the first place won't be.
Misterlee
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Misterlee »

Everyone has a choice to wear or not wear a mask. Just know when your are sick, don't come to the convention. Stay home so you don't get anyone else sick.
waynoinsano
Determined Poster

Post by waynoinsano »

Don't worry about quarantining or masks. CDC says to treat Covid like any other seasonal illness. https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/health/c ... index.html