Policy Changes

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Policy Changes

Post by Nemra »

We have changed some of our convention policies for Anime Boston 2018.

Please make note of our new Autograph policy and Photography policy.

If you have any questions, please let us know!

UPDATE: Clarification regarding autograph session tickets.The session ticket limit applies to the FREE autograph sessions only and does not limit getting extra autographs in the Dealer's Room.

UPDATE 2: Pre-registered attendees who have not yet picked up their badge may pick up autograph tickets if they bring a PRINTED copy of their pre-registration confirmation email along with a photo ID.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

jason
I'm new!

Re: Policy Changes

Post by jason »

If you get an free autograph ticket, does that mean you are guaranteed a signature?

How many free autograph tickets sessions will there be per day?

If you don't get a free autograph ticket, can you still line up for an autograph session but pay?
Shina
I'm new!

Post by Shina »

I have a few questions because the policy is a little confusing to me.
If you don't get a free autograph ticket, are you still able to line up for an autograph session but have to pay?
How many free autograph ticket sessions will there be per day? It seems like there's only one, but they mentioned being able to get two tickets.
If you get a free autograph ticket, are you guaranteed an autograph in line? If that's the case, what would be the point of lining up 30 minutes prior?
Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

Love the new autograph changes! This'll make things much more fair to everyone involved.
jason wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 pm If you get an free autograph ticket, does that mean you are guaranteed a signature?

If you don't get a free autograph ticket, can you still line up for an autograph session but pay?

Not staff, but these are answered in the rules.
4. Each person may obtain only one ticket per session. A ticket guarantees an autograph.
A ticket guarantees an autograph but not on bootleg, fanmade or any unofficial merch.
6. Approximately 100 tickets will be issued per session.
~100 tickets per guest session. If you're asking about getting a ticket, 7-9:30am in the Sheraton ballroom, on each day. If you're asking about how many free guest signings there will be on one particular day, we won't know until the schedule is out. You can look at past schedules to get a feel for how many a day are normally scheduled.
7. Some autograph sessions may have overflow tickets available. This ticket permits a person to wait at the back of the autograph line but does not guarantee an autograph.
Overflow may be available. But no, from my experience you cannot pay for an autograph after the inital free session. The only way to get a paid autograph is if the guest decides to do a signing in the dealers room. (Staff feel free to correct me).

Hope this helps! :D
Shina wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:48 pm I have a few questions because the policy is a little confusing to me.
If you don't get a free autograph ticket, are you still able to line up for an autograph session but have to pay?
How many free autograph ticket sessions will there be per day? It seems like there's only one, but they mentioned being able to get two tickets.
If you get a free autograph ticket, are you guaranteed an autograph in line? If that's the case, what would be the point of lining up 30 minutes prior?
Not staff

From my experience at AB, no you cannot line up and pay for an autograph at the free signing. (Staff feel free to correct me). You CAN pay for an autograph outside of the free session if the guest decides to have a session in the dealers room. Not all guest do.
Tickets will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis.
Each person may obtain only one ticket per session. A ticket guarantees an autograph.
Each person may obtain a maximum of two tickets per day.
Approximately 100 tickets will be issued per session.
This means that there will be ~100 tickets per guest session, and you may only get 1 ticket per session. You can get 2 tickets per day (2 guest sessions). We will not know how many sessions are scheduled for one day until the schedule is out. You can look at past schedules to get an idea of how many are usually per day.

So if InuYasha, Naruto and Ichigo are all having autograph sessions on Saturday, each session will only have ~100 tickets (not including if they decide to do overflow tickets). You may only go to 2 of these sessions.
Attendees are not allowed to line up for an autograph session more than 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
This isn't to have people line up 30 minutes prior, it's there to stop people from lining up any more than 30 minutes (like lining up an hour or more in advance). As long as you have a guaranteed ticket, you can get there whenever you want (but I would still show up early just in case, maybe 10-15 min?).

I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
Kanechan
Expert Poster

Post by Kanechan »

Oh boy. I can't help but feel this new policy may cause some chaos for people who want to get into the more desirable autograph sessions, but will then be denied. And to open up draws at 7:00 AM? I don't even know if the T runs early enough so that I'd arrive in time, to get what I would want for a given day, since I commute all three days of the con. Feels like some bad mojo at work, but that's just what I think.
Klein bottle for rent; inquire within.
diamosaurrr
I'm new!

Post by diamosaurrr »

How does the new autograph policy effect those with accessibility stickers?

Will a disabled person and their companion still be able to line up 10 minutes prior to the 7am ticket session?

If a companion doesn't get a session ticket, will they still be able to accompany their disabled person to an autograph session?
jason
I'm new!

Post by jason »

Mirotic wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 am Love the new autograph changes! This'll make things much more fair to everyone involved.
jason wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:42 pm If you get an free autograph ticket, does that mean you are guaranteed a signature?

Not staff, but these are answered in the rules.
4. Each person may obtain only one ticket per session. A ticket guarantees an autograph.
A ticket guarantees an autograph but not on bootleg, fanmade or any unofficial merch.
6. Approximately 100 tickets will be issued per session.
~100 tickets per guest session. If you're asking about getting a ticket, 7-9:30am in the Sheraton ballroom, on each day. If you're asking about how many free guest signings there will be on one particular day, we won't know until the schedule is out. You can look at past schedules to get a feel for how many a day are normally scheduled.
7. Some autograph sessions may have overflow tickets available. This ticket permits a person to wait at the back of the autograph line but does not guarantee an autograph.
Overflow may be available. But no, from my experience you cannot pay for an autograph after the inital free session. The only way to get a paid autograph is if the guest decides to do a signing in the dealers room. (Staff feel free to correct me).

Shina wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:48 pm I have a few questions because the policy is a little confusing to me.
Not staff

From my experience at AB, no you cannot line up and pay for an autograph at the free signing. (Staff feel free to correct me). You CAN pay for an autograph outside of the free session if the guest decides to have a session in the dealers room. Not all guest do.
Tickets will be issued on a first-come-first-served basis.
Each person may obtain only one ticket per session. A ticket guarantees an autograph.
Each person may obtain a maximum of two tickets per day.
Approximately 100 tickets will be issued per session.
This means that there will be ~100 tickets per guest session, and you may only get 1 ticket per session. You can get 2 tickets per day (2 guest sessions). We will not know how many sessions are scheduled for one day until the schedule is out. You can look at past schedules to get an idea of how many are usually per day.

So if InuYasha, Naruto and Ichigo are all having autograph sessions on Saturday, each session will only have ~100 tickets (not including if they decide to do overflow tickets). You may only go to 2 of these sessions.
Attendees are not allowed to line up for an autograph session more than 30 minutes before the scheduled start time.
This isn't to have people line up 30 minutes prior, it's there to stop people from lining up any more than 30 minutes (like lining up an hour or more in advance). As long as you have a guaranteed ticket, you can get there whenever you want (but I would still show up early just in case, maybe 10-15 min?).

Thanks for the info! It's greatly appreciated!
evil0108
Experienced Poster

Post by evil0108 »

Okay i have a few questions. If i wanted to per say get more then one ticket but for different voice actor. Like if I wanted something signed by steven blum and J. Michael Tatum would i be able to get a ticket for each or is that not possible? And if i get my ticket for the autograph so i don't have to worry about lining up early since i have my ticket to gunatee a sign then correct? Also in the ballroom will there be a place to get tickets for the concerts as well. I know that hasnt been announced yet but it be more convient if all the places to get tickets where put in one place.
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Policies change every year. Most attendees skim / ignore literature. May I suggest, as part of the badge process, there be an addition made - all changes to policies have signage, as attendees walk thru the line prior to badge pickup? Short "gotcha" Tweet style notes etc. Maybe even make it fun with our mascots in said signage?

As one of the significant fan base that do seek out autographs, based upon this policy change, this would all but guarantee that AB not bring more than 2 members of any single production/cast in any given year, because there is no hope at obtaining all their autographs. Unless there is an unpublished group/cast policy pending? Historically, AB has always accommodated guests schedules & like group/casting historically, always same day. Casts generally consist of more than 2 members. Would tickets work the same way if there were a cast session scheduled? Items limits per cast/session?

In addition to the actual autographs policy changes, I hope that the annual issues raised with the location, staffing, accommodations in waiting rooms, time spent waiting, etc. etc. have been reviewed for potential adjustments as well? Autographs for years (3rd floor Sheraton location) have felt like attendees are " a herd of cattle", fenced in, directed thru a maze into a coral (tiny rooms), uncomfortable environment (standing for 2+hrs), hydration concerns, etc. etc. The same issues have been raised annually in both feedback & forums, token response in the feedback/forums, next year rolls up & history repeats.

Thank you for your time & effort in continuing the greatness of AB.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
Bae-san
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Bae-san »

These changes are a little unclear and more than a little unfair.

This is a highly inconvenient and almost unfair policy for anyone who is commuting to and from the convention each day. A 7am lineup time means that commuters would have to wake up and commute to the event much earlier than those who are staying at the hotel and that may not be possible for some who take the T or are staying a ways away. This becomes even more difficult if you factor in that it's likely people will line up for the ticket distribution half an hour early.

This policy clearly favors those who can afford to stay in the hotel or in close proximity to the center. Whether that's on purpose remains to be seen, but I certainly hope this policy is modified once again to be more accommodating for those of us who are commuting congoers.

And I'm sure that part of the reason for this change if for the benefit of congoers and the early time is likely a strategy to only have those who are most committed to getting autographs show up, yet this strategy automatically disadvantage many people who would be just as committed to getting those autographs but do not have the same means as other congoers.

That's my two-cents on that, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this thinking.

Now besides that, I have a few questions:

1. When lining up for this ticket session, does that mean the first 100 people get two tickets automatically or do y'all handout 100 tickets/session for however many sessions there are that day and whoever is there can take however many they want (2 max)? Would you have to re-line-up per each set of 100 tickets? Or are the tickets specified for each session?

2. Is there an item limit once you have a ticket?

3. What does this two-session limit mean for cast signings/group signings?

Thanks.
AB17 | Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop, L-Death Note, Karasuno High Volleyball Club Non-regular-Haikyu!!
AB18 | Levi Ackerman-Attack on Titan, Villetta Nu-Code Geass*, Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Pf. D wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am ... A 7am lineup time ...This becomes even more difficult if you factor in that it's likely people will line up for the ticket distribution half an hour early.
Okay, this isn't my department, but I just wanted to stop any misunderstanding of information by quoting the rules. 7 AM is when the doors will open to start issuing tickets.
Autograph tickets are valid for that day only, and will be issued starting at 7am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday inside the Sheraton Grand Ballroom.
The policy only states the 30 minute line rule for the actual autograph sessions themselves and does not indicate the earliest any lines may form for ticket pickup.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Bae-san

Post by Bae-san »

BasharOfTheAges wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:15 pm
Pf. D wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am ... A 7am lineup time ...This becomes even more difficult if you factor in that it's likely people will line up for the ticket distribution half an hour early.
Okay, this isn't my department, but I just wanted to stop any misinformation by quoting the rules. 7 AM is when the doors will open to start issuing tickets.
Autograph tickets are valid for that day only, and will be issued starting at 7am on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday inside the Sheraton Grand Ballroom.
The policy only states the 30 minute line rule for the actual autograph sessions themselves and does not indicate the earliest any lines may form for ticket pickup.
With this clarification, I'm not sure if this worsens the inconvenience of this change. And I don't mean to put out misinformation though it is fair to assume that people will gather early to increase their chances of making the cut, no matter how early it is.

The point of my comment is that I'm just not happy with the change and I'm sure there are people who will agree with me and that there are people who will disagree. I'd just like that to be acknowledged.
AB17 | Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop, L-Death Note, Karasuno High Volleyball Club Non-regular-Haikyu!!
AB18 | Levi Ackerman-Attack on Titan, Villetta Nu-Code Geass*, Radical Edward-Cowboy Bebop
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Yea, not acusing you of anything there. Just reworded it so it's clearer.

(In all honesty, if the tickets weren't offered at 7 AM, but, rather, noon or something, you know there would be someone still lining up at 5AM anyway, so they could be first in line.)
Bae-san

Post by Bae-san »

Oh of course, I appreciate the fact check.
(So true)
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

When can we get/pickup tickets on Friday? If you cannot even get your time tickets before 7:00 AM then this is unfair to people who cannot get there before Friday. And what of the guests that might not fill up? Can we visit them if they are still available? This policy has a lot of holes in it. Also, if I want an autograph I cannot even enjoy your evening events because they go late and I need enough time to rest, shower, and have breakfast. I cannot do that on just a few hours sleep.
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

I just checked and registration does not even open until 9:00 AM on Friday yet your policy states that the doors for autograph tickets close at 9:30. In other words if we cannot make it to Boston get our tickets Thursday evening and need to wait until Friday morning we have little to no chance of getting tickets the first day.

Can you please explain the logic of having the autograph room open two hours before you can even get your tickets that day?
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

evil0108 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm Okay i have a few questions. If i wanted to per say get more then one ticket but for different voice actor. Like if I wanted something signed by steven blum and J. Michael Tatum would i be able to get a ticket for each or is that not possible? And if i get my ticket for the autograph so i don't have to worry about lining up early since i have my ticket to gunatee a sign then correct? Also in the ballroom will there be a place to get tickets for the concerts as well. I know that hasnt been announced yet but it be more convient if all the places to get tickets where put in one place.
Yes, you can pick up tickets for 2 different guests. However, you cannot pick up 2 tickets for the same guest/session of that day (e.g. 2 Steve tickets for Friday's session). And as policy, you can only pick up maximum 2 tickets per day.

This policy doesn't prevent you from going to the same guest twice on different days (e.g. once on Friday for Steve and once on Saturday for Steve).

Note: examples are not any indication of which day a certain voice actor may or may not be signing.
Last edited by loklore on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Victor Albisharat
Assistant Director of Guest Relations
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

Pf. D wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:33 am Now besides that, I have a few questions:

1. When lining up for this ticket session, does that mean the first 100 people get two tickets automatically or do y'all handout 100 tickets/session for however many sessions there are that day and whoever is there can take however many they want (2 max)? Would you have to re-line-up per each set of 100 tickets? Or are the tickets specified for each session?

2. Is there an item limit once you have a ticket?

3. What does this two-session limit mean for cast signings/group signings?

Thanks.
1. We will be handing out approximately 100 tickets for each autograph session that day and each ticket is unique to that session and on that day. When the schedule comes out, a session is a group of time an individual or group of individuals are doing autographs. You do not have to re-line up but will be redirected to the next ticket of your choice. Please see a staffer for assistance.

2. Each ticket can only get you 1 autograph from each guest at the session.

3. If it is a group session, the 1 ticket will get you everyone's autograph but it is again only 1 item per guest (e.g. group session has 4 guests - you can get an autograph from each guest all on the same item or each on different items, but only 1 autograph from each guest). 1 session counts as 1 ticket.
Last edited by loklore on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Albisharat
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

AnimeFan90 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm I just checked and registration does not even open until 9:00 AM on Friday yet your policy states that the doors for autograph tickets close at 9:30. In other words if we cannot make it to Boston get our tickets Thursday evening and need to wait until Friday morning we have little to no chance of getting tickets the first day.

Can you please explain the logic of having the autograph room open two hours before you can even get your tickets that day?
This is a new system this year and we welcome any feedback!

Unfortunately, with the amount of space required and current availability of rooms, this was the only viable solution. However, most guests have at least 2 free autograph sessions during the weekend (always on different days) as well as many of them will have tables in the Dealers Room/Exhibit Hall where they will be having their own scheduled autograph signings. I would recommend finding their table for the schedule as well as several guests will have their Dealers Room autograph sessions schedule printed in the Con Chowdah. Also, pre-reg opens up 30 minutes earlier than reg on Friday (8:30am) so while it is only half an hour, it might be helpful.

We will be revisiting the timing and location of ticket pickup after this year's event.
Victor Albisharat
evil0108
Experienced Poster

Post by evil0108 »

loklore wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:18 pm
evil0108 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 pm Okay i have a few questions. If i wanted to per say get more then one ticket but for different voice actor. Like if I wanted something signed by steven blum and J. Michael Tatum would i be able to get a ticket for each or is that not possible? And if i get my ticket for the autograph so i don't have to worry about lining up early since i have my ticket to gunatee a sign then correct? Also in the ballroom will there be a place to get tickets for the concerts as well. I know that hasnt been announced yet but it be more convient if all the places to get tickets where put in one place.
Yes, you can pick up tickets for 2 different guests. However, you cannot pick up 2 tickets for the same guest/session of that day (e.g. 2 Steve tickets for Friday's session). And as policy, you can only pick up maximum 2 tickets per day.

This policy doesn't prevent you from going to the same guest twice on different days (e.g. once on Friday for Steve and once on Saturday for Steve).

Note: examples are not any indication of which day a certain voice actor may or may not be signing.

I have two more questions then, will there on the main schedule when its released an area where it shows the guest doing paid autograph signings in the dealers room for there times and such or will just be random for when it happens like last year? And my last question is if i want a voice actor to sign a 2nd item after my first free one, is it possible to pay for a 2nd autograph that related to there work or no?
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

loklore wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:40 pm
AnimeFan90 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:03 pm I just checked and registration does not even open until 9:00 AM on Friday yet your policy states that the doors for autograph tickets close at 9:30. In other words if we cannot make it to Boston get our tickets Thursday evening and need to wait until Friday morning we have little to no chance of getting tickets the first day.

This is a new system this year and we welcome any feedback!

Unfortunately, with the amount of space required and current availability of rooms, this was the only viable solution. However, most guests have at least 2 free autograph sessions during the weekend (always on different days) as well as many of them will have tables in the Dealers Room/Exhibit Hall where they will be having their own scheduled autograph signings. I would recommend finding their table for the schedule as well as several guests will have their Dealers Room autograph sessions schedule printed in the Con Chowdah. Also, pre-reg opens up 30 minutes earlier than reg on Friday (8:30am) so while it is only half an hour, it might be helpful.

We will be revisiting the timing and location of ticket pickup after this year's event.
So in other words you acknowledge that it is a flawed system that you are rushing last minute unprepared and will likely irritate you convention attendees. Here is a piece of info: I went last year and I know it is a problem with your lines and it can get a little crazy. That is not your fault. Now imagine what it's going to be like with all of those people at the same place at the same time scrambling to get tickets at once. Now imagine all the people who were unable to get there for legitimate reasons and feel cheated. Now on top of that people who are only going there for one day unable to meet anyone because they could not get there ticket before the doors closed. It will be a disaster and based on your response you guys are not prepared for it. If you had announced this a few months ago I would have been upset but I would have either found a way or an altenative. Now though I am stuck with either going to your convention or going to nothing.

I don't blame you personally, I am just saying that the policy is unfair and this is the kind of thing that ruins conventions. If things turn into the disaster I expect them to turn into this will probably be my last year at your convention.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

I want to clear up the air here and offer some clarifications.
  • The ticket system is applicable only to the free autograph sessions. We are limiting the amount of free autographs one person can get to allow a much greater number of attendees to get them for free. You are still able to get as many autographs as you'd like at the Dealer's Room whether you have tickets or not just the same as any convention out there.
AnimeFan90 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:14 pm ...flawed system that you are rushing last minute unprepared..
Policies don't come one day and implemented the next. Things aren't announced unless we have everything nailed down how we want it logistically or otherwise. Victor's response kinda explains some of the challenges that were faced when creating these policies. It is what was available within the restrictions faced for this year and it is something we want to/will continuously revisit to improve on for the following year as is the case with anything new. We will see what worked and what didn't but we don't anticipate the same level of hazards and miscommunication from previous years repeating here as there will be a dedicated team specifically handling autographs this year.
evil0108 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm I have two more questions then, will there on the main schedule when its released an area where it shows the guest doing paid autograph signings in the dealers room for there times and such or will just be random for when it happens like last year? And my last question is if i want a voice actor to sign a 2nd item after my first free one, is it possible to pay for a 2nd autograph that related to there work or no?
I can't answer the first (as i don't have that information available to me) but I can answer the second. You won't be able to get the second autograph during the free autograph session. You are only allowed 1 item during any given free autograph session. You will have to go to that guest's Dealer's Room booth in order to pay for a 2nd autograph if they choose to sign there.
diamosaurrr wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:44 pm How does the new autograph policy effect those with accessibility stickers?

Will a disabled person and their companion still be able to line up 10 minutes prior to the 7am ticket session?

If a companion doesn't get a session ticket, will they still be able to accompany their disabled person to an autograph session?
The companion can absolutely line up with them at either the ticket pickup or at the session itself. If anyone says otherwise, please ask to speak directly to a security staffer with a red shirt and they will sort out any issues.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

evil0108
Experienced Poster

Post by evil0108 »

Nemra wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm I want to clear up the air here and offer some clarifications.
  • The ticket system is applicable only to the free autograph sessions. We are limiting the amount of free autographs one person can get to allow a much greater number of attendees to get them for free. You are still able to get as many autographs as you'd like at the Dealer's Room whether you have tickets or not just the same as any convention out there.
AnimeFan90 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:14 pm ...flawed system that you are rushing last minute unprepared..
Policies don't come one day and implemented the next. Things aren't announced unless we have everything nailed down how we want it logistically or otherwise. Victor's response kinda explains some of the challenges that were faced when creating these policies. It is what was available within the restrictions faced for this year and it is something we want to/will continuously revisit to improve on for the following year as is the case with anything new. We will see what worked and what didn't but we don't anticipate the same level of hazards and miscommunication from previous years repeating here as there will be a dedicated team specifically handling autographs this year.
evil0108 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm I have two more questions then, will there on the main schedule when its released an area where it shows the guest doing paid autograph signings in the dealers room for there times and such or will just be random for when it happens like last year? And my last question is if i want a voice actor to sign a 2nd item after my first free one, is it possible to pay for a 2nd autograph that related to there work or no?
I can't answer the first (as i don't have that information available to me) but I can answer the second. You won't be able to get the second autograph during the free autograph session. You are only allowed 1 item during any given free autograph session. You will have to go to that guest's Dealer's Room booth in order to pay for a 2nd autograph if they choose to sign there.
diamosaurrr wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:44 pm How does the new autograph policy effect those with accessibility stickers?

The companion can absolutely line up with them at either the ticket pickup or at the session itself. If anyone says otherwise, please ask to speak directly to a security staffer with a red shirt and they will sort out any issues.

I apperciate for you getting back to me for the questions i have if you have any more important let us know here.
eternaltorture
Experienced Poster

Post by eternaltorture »

Nemra wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm
Hello, since you seem to be an AB staff, I hope you can answer my question:

Are the Japanese guests only doing free autograph sessions or will they have some paid ones too?
I noticed that North American guests tend to have some paid ones but I don't think I've seen any from the Japanese.

This is a very important question for me because as you can see from my post history, I am only interested in Japanese guests. I attend conventions just to see them and get their autograph. If they are only doing free sessions, that means I will only get to attend 6 of the 9 (?) sessions and I'm not sure if that's worth me spending hundreds on this trip.
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

Nemra wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm I want to clear up the air here and offer some clarifications.

Thank you for the quick update. To alleviate some of my confusion/ worry can we line up to get our autograph tickets first then get our passes from registration. My reason for this is you will be opening the autograph ticket line nearly two hours before the registration line opens up. If we can do this, it would help a great deal with my weekend. Thank you
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

How is anime boston regulating that each AB Attendee will ONLY be getting the 2 tickets per day? to avoid people just getting in the back of the line again (after getting 2 tickets) to get another set of tickets.
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
eternaltorture
Experienced Poster

Post by eternaltorture »

I just realized that some Japanese guests might only have 1 free session and if more than 2 of them are on the same day, that means I miss out on 1 (or more). :cry: :cry:

I would appreciate if you guys can let me know if all or most of the Japanese guests will be signing at the dealer's room. So far, I know that Kazuki Yao will due to LadyLark's post.
I am most interested in Yuji Muto, Katsuyuki Sumizawa, Michihiko Suwa and Kaoru Wada. Thank you.
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

evil0108 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:25 pm
loklore wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:18 pm

I have two more questions then, will there on the main schedule when its released an area where it shows the guest doing paid autograph signings in the dealers room for there times and such or will just be random for when it happens like last year? And my last question is if i want a voice actor to sign a 2nd item after my first free one, is it possible to pay for a 2nd autograph that related to there work or no?
1) When the map for the Dealers Room is published, it will include where the Guest autograph area is along with the names of the guests that will be in that area. Note: the Dealers Room schedules are set by the individual guests so I recommend going to their tables to see what it is.

2) Nabil was correct in stating that 1 ticket = 1 autograph and there will be no paid autographs at the official Anime Boston autograph sessions.
Victor Albisharat
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

eternaltorture wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 pm
Nemra wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm
Hello, since you seem to be an AB staff, I hope you can answer my question:

Are the Japanese guests only doing free autograph sessions or will they have some paid ones too?
I noticed that North American guests tend to have some paid ones but I don't think I've seen any from the Japanese.

This is a very important question for me because as you can see from my post history, I am only interested in Japanese guests. I attend conventions just to see them and get their autograph. If they are only doing free sessions, that means I will only get to attend 6 of the 9 (?) sessions and I'm not sure if that's worth me spending hundreds on this trip.
Yuji Muto and Kazuki Yao have Dealers Room tables but the schedules they set for them being there are up to them. I recommend going to those tables and seeing what the schedules are.

No other Japanese guests currently have spots in the Dealers Room and are only scheduled for the official free Anime Boston autograph sessions.
Victor Albisharat
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

eternaltorture wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 pm I just realized that some Japanese guests might only have 1 free session and if more than 2 of them are on the same day, that means I miss out on 1 (or more). :cry: :cry:

I would appreciate if you guys can let me know if all or most of the Japanese guests will be signing at the dealer's room. So far, I know that Kazuki Yao will due to LadyLark's post.
I am most interested in Yuji Muto, Katsuyuki Sumizawa, Michihiko Suwa and Kaoru Wada. Thank you.
Yuji Muto will also have a spot in the Dealers Room and will have 1 free autograph session.

The other guests that you mentioned are currently scheduled to each have at least 2 free autograph sessions during the weekend.
Last edited by loklore on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victor Albisharat
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

dstnyskr wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:01 am How is anime boston regulating that each AB Attendee will ONLY be getting the 2 tickets per day? to avoid people just getting in the back of the line again (after getting 2 tickets) to get another set of tickets.
We will be implementing a tracking system although we cannot discuss the exact details of it.
Victor Albisharat
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

AnimeFan90 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 pm

Thank you for the quick update. To alleviate some of my confusion/ worry can we line up to get our autograph tickets first then get our passes from registration. My reason for this is you will be opening the autograph ticket line nearly two hours before the registration line opens up. If we can do this, it would help a great deal with my weekend. Thank you
As mentioned before, unfortunately you can only acquire autograph tickets if you already have your badge.

I recommend pre-registering (if you haven't already) and picking up your badge on Thursday during pre-reg pickup.
Victor Albisharat
eternaltorture
Experienced Poster

Post by eternaltorture »

loklore wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:55 am Yuji Muto will also have a spot in the Dealers Room and will have 1 free autograph session.

The other guests that you mentioned are currently scheduled to each have at least 2 free autograph sessions during the weekend.
Thank you so much loklore for answering my questions! I will forward this info to my group.

Hopefully, you guys will try not to overlap the schedules for the Japanese guests because there are other attendees like me who attend exclusively for them and hope to get all their autographs :)

Three more questions:
1) Are there overflow tickets for Japanese guests?

2) If there are still available free tickets after 9:30am, will the people who stayed in the ballroom have a chance to get them? (Making it their 3rd free ticket?)

3) This is more about the autograph item: Kaoru Wada is a composer, can I have him sign an anime DVD that he composed music for? or is it limited to CDs?

Thank you in advance!
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

eternaltorture wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 pm Thank you so much loklore for answering my questions! I will forward this info to my group.

Hopefully, you guys will try not to overlap the schedules for the Japanese guests because there are other attendees like me who attend exclusively for them and hope to get all their autographs :)

Three more questions:
1) Are there overflow tickets for Japanese guests?

2) If there are still available free tickets after 9:30am, will the people who stayed in the ballroom have a chance to get them? (Making it their 3rd free ticket?)

3) This is more about the autograph item: Kaoru Wada is a composer, can I have him sign an anime DVD that he composed music for? or is it limited to CDs?

Thank you in advance!
1) Overflow tickets will only be known at the con who will have and who won't have overflow.

2) Will get back to you on this but the doors close at 9:30am and the room needs to be empty by 10am.

3) As long as it is licensed/legal merchandise (posters, DVDs, CDs, etc) that the creator worked on (ie. relevent), it is ok.
Victor Albisharat
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

loklore wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:07 am

As mentioned before, unfortunately you can only acquire autograph tickets if you already have your badge.

I recommend pre-registering (if you haven't already) and picking up your badge on Thursday during pre-reg pickup.
I cannot get there on Thursday, I have to work and then I would need to get a hotel for Thursday night which is expensive. I feel sorry for all the people who can only make it to your convention for one day, they won't have a chance at getting any autograph tickets. Honestly, I don't think I will be coming after all, since your excuses are rather unhelpful. Oh just come Thursday, even if you have no place to stay that night and can only get off work on Friday. Oh, if you can't make it in time in the morning for autographs, no problem, the people you want MIGHT be signing for a fee in the dealers room, even if you are on a budget. I'm sorry if I am rambling but this is what your responses feel like.
dstnyskr
Expert Poster

Post by dstnyskr »

loklore wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:07 am

Hold the phone.

So I need my physical AB Con Badge before i can get in line for a free autograph ticket?

I don't not remember seeing any of this last bit posted in the autograph policy, listed on the AB Website.

Could you please point out to me where on the website and/or any announcement (on any social media outlet) where it refers to having your AB badge first BEFORE being able to get in line for a free autograph ticket?

I hope I was just blind to this fact.

If not, AB better prepare for the pitchforks............ :(
Let destiny decide.
~AB veteran 2006-2017(missed '15)~
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

dstnyskr wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 am
Hold the phone.

So I need my physical AB Con Badge before i can get in line for a free autograph ticket?

I don't not remember seeing any of this last bit posted in the autograph policy, listed on the AB Website.

Could you please point out to me where on the website and/or any announcement (on any social media outlet) where it refers to having your AB badge first BEFORE being able to get in line for a free autograph ticket?

Not Staff

I would imagine that you are defined as being an attendee by having a valid badge. I'm not aware of the convention or its events being open to the general public sans valid badge. Until you have a valid badge to access the convention, all the convention produces or hosts would likely not be accessible, just like pretty much any other convention, show or production.

I'm giving the process a chance & see what this results in. AS with any change, you can't evaluate the hypothetical, only the practical.
"You mustn't let mistakes weigh you down. Acknowledge them and take what you've learned to move on. That is the privilege of being a man."

Full Frontal - Gundam Unicorn
ConDadJeff

Post by ConDadJeff »

Is the limit of taking pictures limited to what you can carry essentially? Is there a size/bulk limit? A friend of mine sometimes carry this big umbrella and flash telescoping from his backpack. It looks silly, but it really helps him out when he wants to capture quality photos and there's no one around to help him.
Anime Boston 2012, 2014, 2015.
Dealer's Room romper :mrgreen:.
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

Kalyoth wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 am
Hold the phone.

Not Staff

I would imagine that you are defined as being an attendee by having a valid badge. I'm not aware of the convention or its events being open to the general public sans valid badge. Until you have a valid badge to access the convention, all the convention produces or hosts would likely not be accessible, just like pretty much any other convention, show or production.

I'm giving the process a chance & see what this results in. AS with any change, you can't evaluate the hypothetical, only the practical.
That is true, but I myself am not aware of a con's only chance to get tickets for the all the autograph events that day being open nearly TWO HOURS before people can get their tickets that day, and closing their doors for tickets less than an hour from when registration opens. Moreover, when their only response has been: "We recommend you preorder and pick up your tickets on Thursday" then you have failed as a con.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

ConDadJeff wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 am Is the limit of taking pictures limited to what you can carry essentially? Is there a size/bulk limit? A friend of mine sometimes carry this big umbrella and flash telescoping from his backpack. It looks silly, but it really helps him out when he wants to capture quality photos and there's no one around to help him.
The limit of photography equipment is essentially what you can operate yourself without needing secondary support devices like tripods and lighting stands. A lot of the issues we've encountered are people setting up guerrilla-style photo studios in the Convention Center and Hotel hallways. These have included 8-foot backdrops, separate lighting stands, etc. These take up a lot of floor space and are a potential fire hazard, clogging hallways that should be kept clear of obstructions.

Lighting Umbrellas and stand-alone lighting units will not be permitted in the convention except for credentialed Press Members. If someone is using one they may be asked by Anime Boston or facility staff to put them away to prevent blocking foot traffic.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
1puppy2lov
I'm new!

Post by 1puppy2lov »

If there are those who cannot preregister and can only attend one day, how can someone line up for autograph tickets if they cannot obtain their badge in time? What are some ways Anime Boston can fix this, besides preregistering and picking up their badge Thursday night...?
loklore
AB Alumni

Post by loklore »

AnimeFan90 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Hold the phone.

Not Staff

That is true, but I myself am not aware of a con's only chance to get tickets for the all the autograph events that day being open nearly TWO HOURS before people can get their tickets that day, and closing their doors for tickets less than an hour from when registration opens. Moreover, when their only response has been: "We recommend you preorder and pick up your tickets on Thursday" then you have failed as a con.
UPDATE: While we can't do anything about the timing of ticket pick up, we've been listening to your feedback and have coordinated with several departments to permit pre-registered attendees who have not picked up their badge yet to pick up autograph tickets

The requirements will be to bring a printed copy of your pre-registration along with a photo id. We will then verify it and provide autograph tickets.

Please keep your eyes peeled for an update on our website.
Victor Albisharat
AnimeFan90

Post by AnimeFan90 »

loklore wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm
AnimeFan90 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Hold the phone.

Not Staff

UPDATE: While we can't do anything about the timing of ticket pick up, we've been listening to your feedback and have coordinated with several departments to permit pre-registered attendees who have not picked up their badge yet to pick up autograph tickets

The requirements will be to bring a printed copy of your pre-registration along with a photo id. We will then verify it and provide autograph tickets.

Please keep your eyes peeled for an update on our website.
I take back what I said before, you guys are listening to us and doing your best for the customers. I have had so many experiences with cons making excuses or blaming the con goers for the problems that this is a welcome thing to hear. I worry that you are in for problems when the day arrives, but I can tell you are sincerely trying you hardest to make this work. Once again, thank you for the response.
ConDadJeff

Post by ConDadJeff »

Faceman wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:47 pm
ConDadJeff wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 am Is the limit of taking pictures limited to what you can carry essentially? Is there a size/bulk limit? A friend of mine sometimes carry this big umbrella and flash telescoping from his backpack. It looks silly, but it really helps him out when he wants to capture quality photos and there's no one around to help him.
The limit of photography equipment is essentially what you can operate yourself without needing secondary support devices like tripods and lighting stands. A lot of the issues we've encountered are people setting up guerrilla-style photo studios in the Convention Center and Hotel hallways. These have included 8-foot backdrops, separate lighting stands, etc. These take up a lot of floor space and are a potential fire hazard, clogging hallways that should be kept clear of obstructions.

Lighting Umbrellas and stand-alone lighting units will not be permitted in the convention except for credentialed Press Members. If someone is using one they may be asked by Anime Boston or facility staff to put them away to prevent blocking foot traffic.
Thank you Chris! A director responding to my post. I feel basked in holy light :mrgreen:

The reason I'm asking is to kind of get an idea of where the line is drawn. As hinted in my previous post, my friend can go pretty crazy with his setups. He has a body rig for example that can support not just his camera, but like 5 GoPros, a telescoping flash and umbrella (it's small, like maybe a 1 ft wide?), and even a secondary camera and mic for like video and whatnot. It makes him look like a walking photo studio. If he was to really gear up like that, would that still be against the rules? Technically he remains mobile and not setting anything on the floor.
Anime Boston 2012, 2014, 2015.
Dealer's Room romper :mrgreen:.
Pint_Sized25
Expert Poster

Post by Pint_Sized25 »

I don't think anyone has asked about this, and I apologize if someone did and I glazed over it in this conversation, but with the amount of guests you guys have coming, and having attendees reduced to being allowed 2 autograph sessions per day, it seems a bit unfair. I understand you're trying to make it so more people can get things signed, but I myself have 5 guests I really really REALLY wanted to meet. Like, they're the reason I am attending the con. If a handful of them have the same autograph sessions the same day, I can't meet them. It's too bad the amount can't be say 3 or 4 autographs a day. Everyone would probably get to meet enough guests that they are looking for. I personally feel 2 tickets a day is too little.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Pint_Sized25 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:49 pm I don't think anyone has asked about this, and I apologize if someone did and I glazed over it in this conversation, but with the amount of guests you guys have coming, and having attendees reduced to being allowed 2 autograph sessions per day, it seems a bit unfair. I understand you're trying to make it so more people can get things signed, but I myself have 5 guests I really really REALLY wanted to meet. Like, they're the reason I am attending the con. If a handful of them have the same autograph sessions the same day, I can't meet them. It's too bad the amount can't be say 3 or 4 autographs a day. Everyone would probably get to meet enough guests that they are looking for. I personally feel 2 tickets a day is too little.
The limit of tickets is only to the free autograph sessions. You can still have as many as you want extra in the Dealer's room.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

eternaltorture
Experienced Poster

Post by eternaltorture »

Nemra wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm
The limit of tickets is only to the free autograph sessions. You can still have as many as you want extra in the Dealer's room.
The 2 free tickets a day limitation is just really bad though.. I've been to other conventions that did ticket distribution and they allowed me to go back in line for more. :?

Also, I hope the autographs at the dealer's room doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I have a tight budget :cry: . This will be my first convention paying for Japanese guest autographs, the other 10 cons I often go to doesn't charge anything but a registration fee. The paid autograph thing seems more like a comic con thing.

Does Yuji Muto know that he will be charging fans for autographs? It's hard to believe since I follow him on twitter and he seems to be a chill guy who's always thankful for any attention from fans. Currently, he's super excited to be attending an overseas convention and meeting foreign fans. He doesn't strike me as a money-hungry person unless he's getting paid very little to none for his appearance...
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

loklore wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:55 am
Yuji Muto will also have a spot in the Dealers Room and will have 1 free autograph session.
eternaltorture wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 pm Does Yuji Muto know that he will be charging fans for autographs? It's hard to believe since I follow him on twitter and he seems to be a chill guy who's always thankful for any attention from fans. Currently, he's super excited to be attending an overseas convention and meeting foreign fans. He doesn't strike me as a money-hungry person unless he's getting paid very little to none for his appearance...
Not staff
As stated above Yuji Moto will have a free autograph session and a dealers room table.
Paid autographs have a huge range depending on the person and their team. From experience, you can expect them to be listed anywhere from $15-$100 dollars. Though most fall inbetween those numbers.
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

It's worth noting, the con isn't charging anything for autographs. If a guest is selling autographs in the dealers room, they're choosing to do it themselves.
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

eternaltorture wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 pm Also, I hope the autographs at the dealer's room doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I have a tight budget :cry: . This will be my first convention paying for Japanese guest autographs, the other 10 cons I often go to doesn't charge anything but a registration fee. The paid autograph thing seems more like a comic con thing.
If a con is charging you a "registration fee" to get autographs, then they aren't really free are they?

What cons do you go to that also provide free guest autographs?
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)