Entering The Hynes: What you need to know

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Entering The Hynes: What you need to know

Post by Nemra »

Anime Boston has been working diligently with our partners at the MCCA and the Prudential Center on a security plan that enhances the safety of our attendees while ensuring that the hallways of the Prudential Center remain free of congestion. We put together a map to help:

Entrance Hours of Operation

Prudential Mall
Friday: 6:30am-2am
Saturday: 6:30am-2am
Sunday: 6:30am-5pm

Dalton Street
Friday: 9am-3pm
Saturday: 9am-3pm
Sunday: Closed

Boylston Street
Friday: 6:30am-2am
Saturday: 6:30am-2am
Sunday: 6:30am-5pm

Artist’s Alley (Hall C)
Friday: 10am-10pm
Saturday: 10am-10pm
Sunday: 10am-3pm

Key things to know:
  • Upon entering the Hynes, you will be subject to a quick bag inspection, along with metal detection using wands. This protocol is similar to what you may experience at an event at the TD Garden, Fenway Park, and Gillette Stadium.
  • At most of these checkpoints, there will be a “Bag” line and a “No Bag” line. If you do bring a bag, please be prepared to have all pockets open ahead of time to help this process move faster.
  • There will be lines. We have doubled the number of security stations from last year to help these lines move faster. It is still likely you will be going outside for some period of time. Please dress appropriately for the weather. If you would like a place to stash your things during the convention, there will be a coat check set up inside the first floor of the Hynes, at a cost of $2 per item.
  • The line that forms at the Prudential entrance to the Hynes will back out into the hallway between the Sheraton and Prudential. This hallway is outdoors, uncovered, and involves stairs.
  • During peak hours, security at the Prudential mall will not be allowing foot traffic to flow directly from the mall to the Hynes entrance. You will need to go outside to get to one of the other Hynes entrances, or you can join the line that will be in the hallway between the Sheraton and the Prudential. (The fastest way to do this is to go past Eataly outside to Boylston Street, take a left, and enter the Hynes from the front.)
  • Anime Boston has permission to use the Dalton Street entrance to the Hynes again. To reach this entrance, please exit the Sheraton main lobby and turn right onto Dalton Street.
  • The doors between Artist’s Alley (Hall C) and the third floor of the Sheraton will be open this year. Last year, we experienced significant back up at this entrance to the point where it was a fire safety concern inside the Sheraton, and the entrance was shut off for some time. Anime Boston has reorganized the floor plan of the Artist’s Alley to allow for more security checkpoints at this entrance in the hopes that this will not be a problem this year. We will monitor this entrance carefully.
  • In order to accommodate the additional security checkpoints at the Prudential entrance to the Hynes, the checkpoints will now span the length of the hallway outside of the Dealer’s Room. Because of this, the Main Hall entrance to the Dealer’s Room will be used for emergency exit only. You will now only be able to enter the Dealer’s Room through the secondary hallway, located across from Con row.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Fetch
Show-off

Re: Entering The Hynes: What you need to know

Post by Fetch »

For the Pru entrance into the Hynes, the line backs out into the alleyway between the Pru and the Sheraton, which then goes down some stairs to street level.

So, if you have issues with stairs, I very highly suggest using the Boylston St entrance instead.

Wait, security for the Pru entrance is that far into the Hynes again? I very simply must ask: How does that keep anyone safe? That far inside without being checked is just stupid. It should be done in the 'South Lobby'. Of course, I for one am hoping they will get rid of all this 'security theater' soon. The Sheraton and the Hilton seem fine letting us all in without requiring it.
DarthAmy
Experienced Poster

Post by DarthAmy »

For the "coat check" would bags count too. Such as suitcases or backpacks? And if yes will said bag only cost $2, or are you really going to count every item in there?
Executionervt009
Experienced Poster

Post by Executionervt009 »

I know the AB staff does everything they can, but I have to respectfully disapprove of this traffic flow. I can only wait for the inevitable reports of con goers getting yelled at and turned around trying to get to the Dunkin Donuts at the corner by the Prudential entrance, as I experienced last time I went to the con. Anyone with a convention badge was being yelled at and herded around, regardless of their destination. I tired explaining where I was going, only to be met with rudeness and belittlement. Hopefully the security people on site are better trained and better mannered than those I encountered. Putting people outside with no cover and navigating multi-level stairs can't be the only answer. We all know how the weather can be this time of year, (PSA to attendees: Friday & Saturday are calling for high of 40* and rain/snow) and freezing temps and potentially icy walkways with high foot traffic is asking for disaster.

Future consideration, use the current registration room for bag check line overflow. Keeps everyone to one side of the hallway, lets people with no bag breeze through, and keeps everyone inside/warm/happy. Registration could potentially move across the hall.
emwing
Getting the hang of this...

Post by emwing »

It could be very helpful if there were "End of the Line Bag/No Bag" sign holders for these areas so people have an idea where to stand or even a person to talk to about the traffic flow. I get more annoyed if I'm stuck in the bag line when I don't have a bag because the lines have merged into a mess than getting rerouted. With the rain/snow and cold weather in the forecast, anything that reduces confusion in the outdoors would be a blessing.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

For the Pru door, I believe that they should make the (looking from inside the Hynes) right hand door 'exit towards the Sheraton', the middle doors the entrance, and the left hand door 'exit towards the mall'.

Though, I do know that the Pru security people would actually prefer all 4 of those doors to be 'exit only'. If it wasn't for the few stores around the Hynes entrance, they'd likely cordon off that corner so that people could only get to it through the Sheraton.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

...It's good that this conversation is happening now even though it's a few days out from the Con. No doubt this will dominate the conversation post-con as well.

As someone pointed out, there WILL be rain Friday and Saturday so plan accordingly. More so if you plan to go in revealing cosplay. There IS a bag/coat check in the Hynes you can use when you get in.

I have hanging out in the Manga Library (located in the Sheraton) if things look bad when I get there Friday morning. Things tend to calm down after Opening Ceremonies Friday. I get to the Hynes after 6PM Saturday so the line's a non-issue there (LOL). On Sunday, I get in within 15 minutes of arriving max. Oh and I favor the Boylston St. entrance. There's rarely a line after the morning rush since it's the main outdoor entrance.

Just sayin'
Fetch wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm
Wait, security for the Pru entrance is that far into the Hynes again? I very simply must ask: How does that keep anyone safe? That far inside without being checked is just stupid. It should be done in the 'South Lobby'. Of course, I for one am hoping they will get rid of all this 'security theater' soon. The Sheraton and the Hilton seem fine letting us all in without requiring it.
You raise a good point here but bear in mind, most of the specifics on security are out of Anime Boston's hands. I do agree this will make last year's problems worse. That said, I never use the mall entrance. The Dalton St. Entrance being open from 9AM to 3PM will be a MAJOR plus though.

The Sheraton/Hilton is not a state-funded facility. The Hynes is. That's why there are no security checkpoints in the hotels. Just saying.

That said: Contact the MCCA directly and let them know. Ask at the Hynes' Info Desk and they will give you needed contact info. Again, I do agree "Security Theater" is wholly ineffective but as long as we "allow" it to continue, it shall. Folks need to organize and get involved if they want the security checkpoints to go away.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

Just thinking of ways to get this information out to as many people as possible & preempt some of the "anger & frustration" now - email blast all the prereg people would be good in addition to all the social media AB uses. Will this diagram/instructions also be made heavily visible & available to all attendees (perhaps see if Hotel Partners will include it as part of check-in paperwork for review?) as part of the registration package offered after badge pick-up? Or perhaps large signage at the mall entrances / posted inside the mall? The mall does seem to not appreciate congestion & they should be an active partner in the process as well.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

expect lots of negative feedback, because the idea of sending people out into the rain in march for security theater isn't going to be well received (and rightfully so. it's bullshit, plain and simple). if you want to be sending people outside, hold the con in may like it was a few years ago.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

Question:

Will congoers be re-routed to the Pru entrance if they have props that need weapons check?

This happened to me last year, was wondering if it will happen this year as well.
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
Nuno89

Post by Nuno89 »

I have an issue with going outside as well. People spend a whole year, time and money on their costume so the convention can say F**U and go stand in the rain. Some people like me will have expensive cameras and equipment and have to go outside and sit in the Rain... I have been going to the convention for over 5 years now and I'm sad to see where is ending up. Most likely it will be the last time attending for the lack of organization and understanding for the attendees.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Nuno89 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 amI have an issue with going outside as well. People spend a whole year, time and money on their costume so the convention can say F**U and go stand in the rain.
Please take a step back and place responsibility where it belongs. It's not the "convention" that is treating us in this matter. It's the security apparatus that all of us--con staff and attendees alike--have to live with because of state regulations. And with the Hynes being a state-run facility, they call the shots.

I have to give NEAS a great deal of credit--this security mess has them caught between a rock and a hard place, and the willingness of these volunteers to soldier on in spite of the state's intrusive methods and our (understandable) annoyance is frankly inspiring. And as someone who's stuck with AB every year since the beginning, I'll do my part by keeping my cool and cooperating as best I can to make all our lives just a bit easier.
Last edited by Master of NERV on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
Nuno89

Post by Nuno89 »

I agree with you. I understand that it's not the "Convention" and that is a "Security" and the "State" regulations. However, If the conversion is getting so big that they can no longer have people inside and have to kick people outside. Either find a new location or like someone else said find a " Better weather month" to have the convention in.

Master of NERV wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 am
Nuno89 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 amI have an issue with going outside as well. People spend a whole year, time and money on their costume so the convention can say F**U and go stand in the rain.
Please take a step back and place responsibility where it belongs. It's not the "convention" that is treating us in this matter. It's the security apparatus that all of us--con staff and attendees alike--have to live with because of state regulations. And with the Hynes being a state-run facility, they call the shots.

I have to give NEAS a great deal of credit--this security mess has them caught between a rock and a hard place, and the willingness of these volunteers to soldier on in spite of the state's intrusive methods and our (understandable) annoyance is frankly inspiring. And as someone who's stuck with AB every year since the beginning, I'll do my part by keeping my cool and cooperating as best I can to make all our lives just a bit easier.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

guys, please remember a few details that are commonly overlooked:

While yes, standing outside sucks no doubt, use the other entrances. All entrances (except the AA/Sheraton entrance which is only open as long as the AA is open) will involve you being outside for some period. No matter what protocols we have in place, there is no way we're fitting 27000 people through one set of doors without major lines.

Last year the Pru entrance wait time at peak was about an 1hr (I had one of my own staff stand in line without their staff shirt to check each line). Boylston St ran at a 15min wait and Dalton had even less at 10min.

If people spread out and use other entrances, wait times will be MUCH better across the board. We completely understand that this is not the ideal situation we'd all like to see happen, but as mentioned before, these are state sanctioned measures with a mix of private ownership that we have no control over.

Boylston St has an overhang. While you're still going to be waiting outside, you'll at least have some cover from the rain.
Mirotic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 am ps that need weapons check?

This happened to me last year, was wondering if it will happen this year as well.
All entrances should have prop inspections, if you come across this situation again, please let us know immediately by visiting Con Ops in room 108!
DarthAmy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 pm For the "coat check" would bags count too. Such as suitcases or backpacks? And if yes will said bag only cost $2, or are you really going to count every item in there?
it's $2 per separate item, so each coat would be $2 and each bag would be $2 no matter how much pocky you manage to stuff in there :)
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

DarthAmy
Experienced Poster

Post by DarthAmy »

Nemra wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 am guys, please remember a few details that are commonly overlooked:

While yes, standing outside sucks no doubt, use the other entrances. All entrances (except the AA/Sheraton entrance which is only open as long as the AA is open) will involve you being outside for some period. No matter what protocols we have in place, there is no way we're fitting 27000 people through one set of doors without major lines.

Last year the Pru entrance wait time at peak was about an 1hr (I had one of my own staff stand in line without their staff shirt to check each line). Boylston St ran at a 15min wait and Dalton had even less at 10min.

If people spread out and use other entrances, wait times will be MUCH better across the board. We completely understand that this is not the ideal situation we'd all like to see happen, but as mentioned before, these are state sanctioned measures with a mix of private ownership that we have no control over.

Boylston St has an overhang. While you're still going to be waiting outside, you'll at least have some cover from the rain.
Mirotic wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:52 am ps that need weapons check?

All entrances should have prop inspections, if you come across this situation again, please let us know immediately by visiting Con Ops in room 108!
DarthAmy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 pm For the "coat check" would bags count too. Such as suitcases or backpacks? And if yes will said bag only cost $2, or are you really going to count every item in there?
it's $2 per separate item, so each coat would be $2 and each bag would be $2 no matter how much pocky you manage to stuff in there :)
So I would be able to store a suitcase there during Saturday? And where will this coat check be?
Cinnamon Chai
Expert Poster

Post by Cinnamon Chai »

Due to medical issues, I have a lot of trouble standing in lines. Sitting in a chair is OK, but I can't stand for long periods. Usually I check in with accessibility staff, but when first getting in, should I just try to speak with a staffer immediately and explain? (I almost always go to the Boylston St entrance to avoid what I can anyway, but even 15 minutes of standing in place can be difficult for me at times.) Thank you!
AB 2018 plans
Oscar Dragonia - Tales of Berseria
Sailor Saturn
Taako - The Adventure Zone
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

"During peak hours, security at the Prudential mall will not be allowing foot traffic to flow directly from the mall to the Hynes entrance. "

I hope this year the road block is further down the hallway past Dunkin Donuts. Last year I had to go outside to get to Dunkin Donuts.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Fetch wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm Of course, I for one am hoping they will get rid of all this 'security theater' soon. The Sheraton and the Hilton seem fine letting us all in without requiring it.
The news of the last 10 years is driving increase security, people are concern about safety, security is getting tighter everywhere.

I wonder who did a security assessment?
Last edited by THX1139 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

tomthumb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:54 pm "During peak hours, security at the Prudential mall will not be allowing foot traffic to flow directly from the mall to the Hynes entrance. "

I hope this year the road block is further down the hallway past Dunkin Donuts. Last year I had to go outside to get to Dunkin Donuts.
Nope. When they do that, it means that the closest you'll get is the entrance to the Skywalk and Top of the Hub, and they WILL keep an eye on you to make sure that is where you are going. I saw Pru security doing that to non AB attendees last year. Tourists who were simply trying to get to the Sheraton being told LOUDLY that they had to go outside.

I'm sorry, but if Pru security's idea of traffic control is yelling at everyone, no matter if they are going to the con or not, then they should just cordon off that section for the whole weekend and post signs saying that to get to that section people will have to go through the Sheraton.

With the way that malls in general are dying, I won't be too surprised if, within 10 years, that corner becomes part of the Sheraton, thus cutting the Pru mostly out of the equation of convention line management.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

tomthumb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:38 pm
Fetch wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm Of course, I for one am hoping they will get rid of all this 'security theater' soon. The Sheraton and the Hilton seem fine letting us all in without requiring it.
With all the fuss over immigrants and refugees, the concern about terrorists, security is getting tighter everywhere.
why are we bringing racist republican propaganda on these boards? refugees and immigrants are not a security threat.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
birdboy2000
Experienced Poster

Post by birdboy2000 »

Extremely disappointed. Outdoor lines with a late March date are simply unacceptable, and billing us for coat check when the only reason we would need a coat is AB's failure to resolve this issue is just adding insult to injury. (Personally, I won't bother; I'd rather freeze.) Nor is this keeping us safer; a long line is itself a tempting target for any would-be terrorist.

Guess I'll miss some interesting Sheraton panels again this year to avoid the long lines. :(

EDIT: I made this post Thursday anticipating long outdoor lines ala last year (and needing a coat just to brave them) and kind of feel like a jerk now - but I'm absolutely thrilled this turned out not to be the case. Didn't have to go outside once. :)
Last edited by birdboy2000 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Xias wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:14 pm why are we bringing racist republican propaganda on these boards? refugees and immigrants are not a security threat.
I changed the wording of my posts.
Mirotic
Veteran Poster

Post by Mirotic »

Not to be a party pooper, but since there is a very high chance everyone will have to wait outside at some point during their weekend, BRING COATS!

Boston is scheduled for snow/wintery mix Friday into Saturday. :(
I believe if time passes, everything turns into beauty. If the rains stop, tears clean the scars of memory away. Everything starts wearing fresh colors. Every sound begins playing a heartful melody. Jealousy embellishes a page of the epic. Desire is embraced in a dream. But my mind is still in chaos and..
2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 / 2019 / 2020 / 2021 / 2022
Rick
Expert Poster

Post by Rick »

I think the thing I'm more worried about isn't so much the flow but the actual treatment of us by the security.

Granted there's nothing the convention can do about it, but I just have concerns that the attitude of security is getting worse and worse toward everyone every year. My first year I was here, I actually chatted with some pretty cool security people. Last couple of years though the attitudes have gone right down the tubes to the point where last year I was actually rather intimidated and afraid of the security itself, which really did impact my enjoyment of the con.

I could be paranoid I guess, but I can only really form opinions on my own observations and experiences. I don't expect us to get treated like royalty or old drinking buddies or anything, but I get the impression over the last couple of years that in security's eyes, we're 'those annoying blanking geeks' and that they have more power to kick us out of the convention or worse if they feel like it because they have more power than the convention itself.

Pardon me if off-topic or sounding overly dramatic. I'm just really nervous just from how things were last year.
"I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith went to Anime Boston?"
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Rick wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:35 pm Pardon me if off-topic or sounding overly dramatic. I'm just really nervous just from how things were last year.
Not off-topic at all!

If there are any issues at all with security, after you go through the checks, head straight to Con Ops in room 108 across from the dealer's room. We need to deal with these situations at the con before they get worse so come to us and file the complaint ASAP. Don't escalate the situation and confront them as it only makes the two people agitated and no one wins. Just go through it and report it to us.

We get a surprisingly low number of complaints during the con that could have been addressed right then and there and could have solved the issue but people tend to wait for the next person to do it instead.

Be that next person :)
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

DarthAmy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 am So I would be able to store a suitcase there during Saturday? And where will this coat check be?
It'll be in the hall way where the security checkpoints for the Prudential line is. It'll be next to the cafeteria
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

Nemra wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:11 pm
We get a surprisingly low number of complaints during the con that could have been addressed right then and there and could have solved the issue but people tend to wait for the next person to do it instead.

Be that next person :)
...All this.

I can't help but wonder if there should be signage or something telling people to do just that. Or maybe have a couple blues at each checkpoint acting as observers.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog
Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2023 or 2024!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
DarthAmy
Experienced Poster

Post by DarthAmy »

So we will have to get our suit case checked before?
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

DarthAmy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 am So we will have to get our suit case checked before?
very likely. Hotels have bag checks that you can use. The one in the Hynes is more meant for backpacks/coats/jackets etc, but it can be used for luggage if you bring it in.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

I used the Boylston Street entrance several time today, Saturday. It was quick and easy. No waiting outside.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

definitely was a big improvement over 2016, but the idea of sending people outside in march/april is still absurd.

it would be nice if for 2018 they decided to have artist ally open up an hour earlier (9am instead of 10). the morning is always when you're going to have the most people trying to get into the con, so that's exactly when you'd want to have as many doors open as possible to spread out how many people are at a given entry point.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

reaper527 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:44 pm so that's exactly when you'd want to have as many doors open as possible to spread out how many people are at a given entry point.
As always most people used the entrance from the Mall.

It is a short walk from the Sheraton lobby to the Dalton Street entrance. Much shorter walk to the Boylston Street entrances going either way. A easy walk for a cosplayer in the cold. If they don't have a lot of exposed skin. (some men had a lot of exposure.) It didn't rain or snow that much.

When I went to the Dalton street entrance the AB security staff, orange shirts, were glad to see me. They were getting lonely because no one was using that entrance. It was close later. I'm guessing due to a lack of use.

The Artist Ally entrance was very much under used. Security has set up expecting a lot more traffic then they were getting. I'm not complaining, security was only doing bag check. No hand held security wand, scanner. This would make the line quicker to go thru. If you did get more people it would make a traffic jam in the hall. Sometimes you just can't win.

This year the lines were not due to slow security check points. Or due to a lack of entrances. It's the same old story, most people want to use the mall entrance. If you could not walk to three hotels while staying inside, this may not be a problem.

Managing the AB traffic is fantastic strategy game. It should be an add on to SimCity.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

tomthumb wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:46 pm This year the lines were not due to slow security check points. Or due to a lack of entrances. It's the same old story, most people want to use the mall entrance. If you could not walk to three hotels while staying inside, this may not be a problem.

Managing the AB traffic is fantastic strategy game. It should be an add on to SimCity.
except you missed my point. as you said, the sheraton enterance was awesome. the problem is that at 9am it's not open, meaning there is no entrance into the convention center that doesn't involve lining up outside.

once you get the initial morning rush into the building, everything is fine. that morning rush is EXACTLY the time frame where you need more entrances to be open. it would make a lot of people very happy if artist alley opened up an hour or so earlier.
Thrillho
Expert Poster

Post by Thrillho »

reaper527 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm once you get the initial morning rush into the building, everything is fine. that morning rush is EXACTLY the time frame where you need more entrances to be open. it would make a lot of people very happy if artist alley opened up an hour or so earlier.
Except, you know, the people that would then have to work that Alley for an extra hour every day (they're already there for 12 hours on Friday and Saturday).

I think three different entrances from the outside is enough. The Artist's Alley entrance is a nice perk, but it shouldn't be relied on as a primary point of entry into the con.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Thrillho wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:06 am
reaper527 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm once you get the initial morning rush into the building, everything is fine. that morning rush is EXACTLY the time frame where you need more entrances to be open. it would make a lot of people very happy if artist alley opened up an hour or so earlier.
Except, you know, the people that would then have to work that Alley for an extra hour every day (they're already there for 12 hours on Friday and Saturday).

I think three different entrances from the outside is enough. The Artist's Alley entrance is a nice perk, but it shouldn't be relied on as a primary point of entry into the con.
It is a short walk to the Dalton street entrance from the Sheraton lobby. A cosplayer would only need something light to put over their head and outfit.

I have to have my Dunkin Donuts. Or I would forget something in my room. Or go to the Hilton. I don't use the main entrance. I don't have a problem getting in.

When the line gets long non-cosplayer should be asked to use the Dalton street entrance by way of the Sheraton. It would be faster for them. Any cosplayer without big head gear or wings etc., who can easily walk, should be ask to use Dalton.

Its the old story, people go with the flow or what they think is the easiest. The easiest is the longest.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

it's also an equally shorter walk outside from the mall to the Boylston St entrance if you're coming from the Marriott side.

Walk past Eataly and go down the escalators to go outside and take a left. You will immediately see the entrance as soon as you get out onto the street
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Nemra wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 pm it's also an equally shorter walk outside from the mall to the Boylston St entrance if you're coming from the Marriott side.

Walk past Eataly and go down the escalators to go outside and take a left. You will immediately see the entrance as soon as you get out onto the street
I have walked both ways. Boylston street is even shorter if you cut thru Eataly.

The reason I was talking about redirecting people in line was: the inside line for the main entrance in the Sheraton seams closer to the Dalton street. When the inside line gets long you start asking new people to try Dalton. Maybe hand out small maps. I know everything cost money.

I assume AB planers know there are two door from the Sheraton into level 2 of the Hynes. :D
ConDadJeff

Post by ConDadJeff »

March and April is still cold for standing outside waiting in lines, rain/snow or not. Is it at all possible to place those big heating lamps (like those at outdoor seating at restaurants) at certain points as needed?
Anime Boston 2012, 2014, 2015.
Dealer's Room romper :mrgreen:.
nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

AB used to fall between April and May in earlier years. But it's up to the Hynes I guess when they give a calendar slot to AB. And it's been March-April :/ which sucks because New England Spring time is coooooold.
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

The next four ABs will not be in March:

Anime Boston 2019: 04/19/2019 - 04/21/2019
Anime Boston 2020: 04/10/2020 - 04/12/2020
Anime Boston 2021: 04/02/2021 - 04/04/2021
Anime Boston 2022: 05/27/2022 - 05/29/2022

Of the four, we may have to worry about snow in 2021. Outside that, just rain. 2022 will clearly be a warm year as well.
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Technically, 2022 will have to worry about heat. For those in full costumes, that brings the risk of heat exhaustion...
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Kusuguru Usagi
Dedicated Poster

Post by Kusuguru Usagi »

Elli21486 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 am Technically, 2022 will have to worry about heat. For those in full costumes, that brings the risk of heat exhaustion...

The mention of heat brings to mind AB 2009: it was in May that year, and I remember how hot it was. My friend & I had gone in the day before the con because we wanted to go to the Science Museum. When we went to get the T, the trains weren't running for some reason, but not long afterwards, they started back up running again. The train was hot while we were riding it...
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Kusuguru Usagi wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:38 pm
Elli21486 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 am Technically, 2022 will have to worry about heat. For those in full costumes, that brings the risk of heat exhaustion...

The mention of heat brings to mind AB 2009: it was in May that year, and I remember how hot it was. My friend & I had gone in the day before the con because we wanted to go to the Science Museum. When we went to get the T, the trains weren't running for some reason, but not long afterwards, they started back up running again. The train was hot while we were riding it...
AB 2009 was certainly hot since it was between May 22-24, 2009. Average high was 79.67F but the temps were 89F Friday, 69F Saturday, and 81F Sunday. AB 2009 is the warmest AB since the convention started.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Fetch wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm Wait, security for the Pru entrance is that far into the Hynes again? I very simply must ask: How does that keep anyone safe? That far inside without being checked is just stupid. It should be done in the 'South Lobby'. Of course, I for one am hoping they will get rid of all this 'security theater' soon. The Sheraton and the Hilton seem fine letting us all in without requiring it.
You can thank the Pokemon guy for the arch metal detectors.

I whined about this a few years ago. The place was not designed for security check points. You would have to rip out the south lobby and rebuild it. The entrance is too narrow. Companies don't like spending money on security because its an overhead expanse, no tax deduction, no ROI.

I stopped talking about security short falls so I wouldn't be giving someone ideas.
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

THX1139 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 pm
Fetch wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm Wait, security for the Pru entrance is that far into the Hynes again? I very simply must ask: How does that keep anyone safe? That far inside without being checked is just stupid. It should be done in the 'South Lobby'. Of course, I for one am hoping they will get rid of all this 'security theater' soon. The Sheraton and the Hilton seem fine letting us all in without requiring it.
You can thank the Pokemon guy for the arch metal detectors.

I whined about this a few years ago. The place was not designed for security check points. You would have to rip out the south lobby and rebuild it. The entrance is too narrow. Companies don't like spending money on security because its an overhead expanse, no tax deduction, no ROI.

I stopped talking about security short falls so I wouldn't be giving someone ideas.
This is a dead thread from last year. Locking.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager