Entering The Hynes: What To Expect

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nenya
AB Executive

Entering The Hynes: What To Expect

Post by Nenya »

The Hynes Public Safety team will continue to inspect bags as they have in the past. There will be a line for people with bags, and a line for people without bags. Because of these increased security measures, and the popularity of the indoor entrance, lines have been forming at the Prudential entrance to the Convention Center. Due to fire safety concerns, this line will be filtered outdoors and any traffic moving from the Prudential Mall to the Hynes Convention Center will be diverted outside. We’ve included a handy map this year if you’re not sure the best path to take when entering the Convention Center.

Here are some tips:
-For those of you passing between the Sheraton and the Hynes, there is a hallway open in Artist’s Alley that is connected to the third floor of the Sheraton. This is a single door, so delays may occur.

-The *fastest* way to get from the Prudential Mall to the Hynes Convention Center will be to exit the Prudential on to Boylston Street (going past where the food court used to be) and take a left. This will lead you to the front entrance of the Hynes Convention Center. This entrance has a roof over it and will keep you dry if it rains!

-If you feel like taking a longer walk and waiting in a longer line, you can exit the mall on to Belvedere street (next to Cheesecake Factory), take a right, and re-enter the Prudential mall at the hallway between the Mall and the Sheraton hotel. This entrance is not covered, so if it rains you will get wet!

The MCCA has also decided to add metal detectors at the entrances this year, similar to if you were attending an event at Fenway Park or the TD Garden. If you do not feel comfortable passing through the metal detector, there will be guards with wands as well.

Please remember to dress appropriately for the weather! It’s very likely that you’ll be outside at some point over the weekend. Remember to bring a coat, appropriate shoes, and maybe even an umbrella if you wish. If you need a place to store your stuff over the weekend, there will be an Item Check station inside the Hynes Convention Center that charges only $1 per item to hold on to your things for as long as the Convention Center is open!

Thank you all for your understanding and cooperation as we, along with our partners at the Hynes Convention Center, strive to make this event as safe as possible!
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
Xias
Veteran Poster

Re: Entering The Hynes: What To Expect

Post by Xias »

I'm sure this wasn't the doing of anyone involved with AB staff and was basically forced on you, but wow, a metal detector?? Talk about going overboard, geez. Completely unnecessary.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
MitsuHime
Getting the hang of this...

Post by MitsuHime »

"If you do not feel comfortable passing through the metal detector, there will be guards with wands as well. "
no pat downs though right?
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

well, time to start taking bets on how much of cosplay will set off the detectors! And what horror "jfc, Hynes staff, y???" stories this will yield

in daily life I already set off all the alarms ... it'll be extra special when wearing layers of fluffy skirts
Maid Cafe - '18, '19, '22

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
BurlyAdopter
AB Staff

Post by BurlyAdopter »

To be sure I am reading this right, there will be no entry allowed at all through the Hynes Main Entrance, aka, the entrance from the Prudential Center? All entrances will be from Boylston St. or the 3rd floor of the Sheraton?
Is ticket pickup still in the Sheraton, roughly 40 feet from the Prudential entrance?
Rodney Brown
Photo Dept. Manager 2020
LadyTuesday

Post by LadyTuesday »

Any word on what people who are wearing medical devices can expect? It cannot pass through a detector, or a wand, and while it's removable, that requires getting undressed.
ZeroSystemQuatre

Post by ZeroSystemQuatre »

Will people with disabilities who are unable to walk long distances or stand in line be able to bypass them somehow?

For instance, I use a walker. I can't imagine my body being able to handle going around these pathways just to get inside the Hynes. And one of the divergence paths last year included stairs. There has to be some recourse for disabled attendees... :(
Artist - Zodi-ACK! Productions
Anime Boston Artist Alley: 2007/2008/2009/2011/2012/2013
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

BurlyAdopter wrote:To be sure I am reading this right, there will be no entry allowed at all through the Hynes Main Entrance, aka, the entrance from the Prudential Center?
...u might be misreading the map. there's a big big star right at Hynes Main Entrance, which means it is an open entrance with a bag-check! (all the arrow lines are just other routes, in case maybe line is too long and someones wants to venture to other doors and not sure where to walk?)

why, yes, I have been goin to this con since day 1. Wanna brain-break on the age math?
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

A few things that need clarification:

1. It sounds like the Pru/Hynes Entrance will be Exit Only this year. Is this true? Also, will exceptions be made for persons with physical disabilities?

2. As a few folks mentioned, people with certain medical devices in their bodies cannot pass through a metal detector OR have a wand used on them. Do you know what the plan is for folks this applies to?

3. You made it sound like there is a 4th entrance into the Hynes. The only 3 I know of are the Hynes/Pru, Boylston St. and the 3rd floor of the Sheraton. Where is this 4th entrance the public can use?

4. The Fenway/TD Garden comment is a good indication of what to expect. It would've been much faster if it was like City Hall or Logan Airport in my opinion. Metal Detectors + Bag Search is definitely overkill.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Convergence Cosplay

Post by Convergence Cosplay »

So I have metal all over my goddamn cosplay. Little parts, Cold Cast metal impregnated resin, Nuts and bolts in my props, fasteners for armor... etc etc
What should I expect when entering?? :roll:

SecurityCon Boston 2016
Last edited by Convergence Cosplay on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamy Bunz
Experienced Poster

Post by Steamy Bunz »

I'm guessing the medal detector is because of what happened (or was about to happen) during the Pokemon event last year also at the Hynes = PEOPLE SUCK!!!
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

as AnnaNeko said, there are three entrances/exits. They're pointed to on the map by a star (if you look above the star it says entrance and the name of said entrance so that we don't mix up terminology).

on another note, not sure where you're getting the implication of a 4th entrance/exit from.

all questions, comments and concerns will be answered, just give us (the staff) time to review them and answer. lots of messages coming in from everyone on top of the regular last week messages we typically get.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

nenie
Determined Poster

Post by nenie »

Welp, will this process be quick and efficient like last year? I know some Bag Check staff checked a little more thoroughly than others.

So what's this gonna be like? Like a theme park/airport system?

We go through the metal detector with our bags on hand, then get our bags checked and be off right?

Or will we hand over our bags first, go through the metal detector without the bag and then when the process is done we pick up our bag and be on our way?( well, i mean, our bags will be checked as we go through the metal detection)
AB07 Aya from Super Gals
AB08 Bouquet from Blue Dragon & Kairi from KH2
AB09 Dawn from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
AB10 Pan from Dragon Ball GT
AB11 Mio Akiyama from K-On!
AB12 Talim from Soul Calibur 2
AB13 Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena
AB14 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Terra from Teen Titans
AB15 Rico Brzenska from Attack on Titan & Utena
AB16 Casey from Pokemon
AB17 Kiyone from Tenchi Muyo & Pokemon Go Trainer
AB18 Team Skull Grunt & Kiyone
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

I just want to know how sensitive the metal detectors are. Will I have to take out my earrings for example or are they ok to leave in? They're a pain to take off or put in so I'd rather not have to take them off.

Also: I assume the Artist Alley/Sheraton entrance is only open during Artist Alley hours or are they open earlier?
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Metal detector + Bag check = security measures all visitors to the USS Constitution have to go through.

The thing I hate about metal detectors is that one must remember to take ALL of their electronic devices off their person before going through it.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

AnnaNeko wrote:well, time to start taking bets on how much of cosplay will set off the detectors!
My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing I will be setting off the alarms with Alice. Wonder how sensitive they're going to be...
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

sounds like overkill 2016. the crowd control seems to be getting more and more absurd annually.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Fetch wrote:Metal detector + Bag check = security measures all visitors to the USS Constitution have to go through
Thats the thing tho! When you're out & about on a regular day, metal detectors are a small time inconvenience at most.
Now imagine this in cosplay! Half the stuff that might set it off ..might make up most of someone's outfit or accessories that cannot be easily taken off?
Yes Hynes, congrats, you can tell how much underwire my outfit involves, how does this help your security exactly

.... ok, I'm revising my bets - which will make more noise: someone in steampunk (bonus points for ladies in corsets of course) or Mecha Suits/Power Armor looking things

royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

AnnaNeko wrote: .... ok, I'm revising my bets - which will make more noise: someone in steampunk (bonus points for ladies in corsets of course) or Mecha Suits/Power Armor looking things
Oh dang! My corset! I forgot about that! Yeeeeah, I'm gonna be staying inside the convention center once I get in until I'm ready to take my cosplay off.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

royalbakaness wrote:
AnnaNeko wrote: .... ok, I'm revising my bets - which will make more noise: someone in steampunk (bonus points for ladies in corsets of course) or Mecha Suits/Power Armor looking things
Oh dang! My corset! I forgot about that! Yeeeeah, I'm gonna be staying inside the convention center once I get in until I'm ready to take my cosplay off.
Yes, this is exactly what I'm probably going to end up doing too: getting in the con center once and never leaving, especially if the lines take as long as I think they will (as anyone who has been to a sporting event in the past year or so can tell you, it takes a LONG time to go through these metal detectors). So basically we'll be stuck in there all day and night unless we want to risk waiting god-knows-how-long to get back in. Which is. Not good.

Even doing this really sucks in two ways though:
1) It makes the convenience of staying at the Sheraton not really worth it anymore, as a huge part of the reason why we've been willing to pay the high price of the hotel is the ability to go back to our room at any time from the con freely and easily. If we cannot leave the con center without having to wait in a long line just to get back in, that takes a lot of the luster off of the hotel; why pay a huge premium for this convenience we can no longer really use? We may as well just stay at any old hotel far away and take the subway in, because we're apparently not going to be leaving the con center all day anyway!

2) It makes going to the panels at the Sheraton (and there are many panels there throughout the weekend!) that much harder, because you have to go through the metal detector again to get back to the con center. I'm thankful now my panels are inside the con center this year because I think there's a chance panels at the hotel will see a hit to their attendance across the board.

Again, I understand AB likely had this forced on them, but the metal detectors are a ridiculous addition for an anime convention. It is not like a hockey or baseball game where people are entering one time and then never leaving until the 3 hour-ish game is over. When you have some events at one location and some at the other, with the metal detector in-between, it's going to create a mess of people going back and forth and adding to the lines. And obviously other people are bringing up the issues with cosplay. This was really a huge mistake by the people in charge of the Hynes and I hope they can be shown the error of their ways in time for 2017, at the very least.
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
MitsuHime

Post by MitsuHime »

don't know if i'm allowed to post this but this was said on the anime boston facebook page

royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

AB responded to some concerns on Facebook, including concerns for those with medical devices, those disabled, and those with potentially troublesome cosplays. It's in the comments section, and it does clear a few things up.
I personally plan on avoiding the Prudential Entrance most of the weekend. My friend and I typically go through the Sheraton entrance when it's open, and when it's not I'm going for the Boylston Street entrance. Worth the walk as far as I'm concerned.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

royalbakaness wrote:AB responded to some concerns on Facebook, including concerns for those with medical devices, those disabled, and those with potentially troublesome cosplays. It's in the comments section, and it does clear a few things up.
I personally plan on avoiding the Prudential Entrance most of the weekend. My friend and I typically go through the Sheraton entrance when it's open, and when it's not I'm going for the Boylston Street entrance. Worth the walk as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, completely avoid the Prudential entrance for sure. In past years I've taken the Artist Alley entrance almost exclusively, but now I actually wonder if (between the addition of metal detectors and how heavily they're advertising it) that entrance may take long now too. It may end up being that the Boylston Street entrance, which few people seem to use either but has far greater capacity than the Artist Alley entrance, ends up being the smarter bet throughout the con, but I guess we'll see.
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Xias wrote: Yeah, completely avoid the Prudential entrance for sure. In past years I've taken the Artist Alley entrance almost exclusively, but now I actually wonder if (between the addition of metal detectors and how heavily they're advertising it) that entrance may take long now too. It may end up being that the Boylston Street entrance, which few people seem to use either but has far greater capacity than the Artist Alley entrance, ends up being the smarter bet throughout the con, but I guess we'll see.
To be honest, last year my friend and I missed the lines almost completely. We were fortunate, and I can only hope we can avoid too much congestion this year.
Not gonna lie, security tends to make me anxious (I'm more anxious about the security at airports than I am of flying in the plane), but AB is worth it to me. As long as AB is still around, and as long as I'm able, I'm gonna keep attending and cosplaying.
Gackage
Experienced Poster

Post by Gackage »

:shock:
Last edited by Gackage on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I typically use the Bolyston St. Entrance at the beginning of Friday and Sunday. Helps I get my Badge Thursday night (WOOT!) and it's not congested like the Prudential side is just past security (The ramp between security and bag check). Saturdays I arrive much later in the day (sometime after sunset typically) so there's no line to speak of. In years' past--including this year--I go to the Swap Meet, do my panel and then call it a night.

During the day Friday and Sundays, for Hynes re-entry I just use the Sheraton's 3rd Floor Entrance if I'm there and Boylston St. otherwise. I plan to use Bag Check while everyone's at Opening Ceremonies so I don't have any bags for potential re-entry. I'll have my laptop all 3 days so it makes the most sense for me to do this.

Nothing wrong with the Hynes/Pru entrance but I'd rather not beat the dead horse if I don't to. Plus in regards to this...I'll leave it at that XD
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
appledress
I'm new!

Post by appledress »

"Itabags" (bags covered with anime merch and pins) have been really popular this year for carrying to conventions. Do you see bags and safety pins of this nature causing any issues with the metal detectors?
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

As far as cosplay is concerned, I'm imagining outfits like Totoro or Picachu, which could well have metal strips, bolts, nuts, rivets, etc. to give the costume its shape. Will people have to take off their costumes to make sure nothing's inside?
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
LadyTuesday

Post by LadyTuesday »

I just want to say though, AB staff were inundated right away with tons of questions and still managed to turn around good/informative answers within just a couple of hours- no easy feat days before con.

Security staff also emailed me and were very friendly/courteous, and assured that they're trying the best they can as these things are all mandated by the city of Boston.

AB staff- thank you for all that you do, especially when we get a little nuts! I know it can't be the easiest thing. <3
Gackage
Experienced Poster

Post by Gackage »

I've been to both the TD Garden, and Fenway. And every time I went I would never have to go through a metal detector. So I do have a questiona, about what to do with eletronics (like cell phone) and then what to do with a bag if you bring it.
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

LadyTuesday wrote:I just want to say though, AB staff were inundated right away with tons of questions and still managed to turn around good/informative answers within just a couple of hours- no easy feat days before con.

Security staff also emailed me and were very friendly/courteous, and assured that they're trying the best they can as these things are all mandated by the city of Boston.

AB staff- thank you for all that you do, especially when we get a little nuts! I know it can't be the easiest thing. <3
Yeah, from the start I said this is totally the Hynes people/Boston people's doing and not AB's, sorry if my tone makes it sound like I'm angry at the con. I am just amazed that year after year they keep adding more crap that the congoers AND the hardworking AB staff have to deal with. Just when we think we're used to one thing, they add an additional layer that complicates everything even more. It's ridiculous and shows they have no idea what actually goes on at this event.
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

LadyTuesday wrote:I just want to say though, AB staff were inundated right away with tons of questions and still managed to turn around good/informative answers within just a couple of hours- no easy feat days before con.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!
Animelover4life
Determined Poster

Post by Animelover4life »

My husband has Titanium in their ankle and foot from past ankle surgery do you suggest they bring a doctor's note stating this in-case it set off the metal detector?
ab2023
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

To clear up some other things!

- MCCA Security are looking for weapons and other illegal items. We are not denying entry to persons who have metal on them or inside their cosplay.

- Cosplayers will not be asked to take off costumes. A quick explanation to MCCA Security as to why the detector is going of will suffice.

- In fact, no one is going to be asked to get naked in the middle of the hallway.

- If your cosplay does not fit through the detectors they will have you go around the detector and use wands.

- You will pass your bag on for inspection and will walk through the metal detectors separately. The idea is that these two things will be done in tandem.

- You will not have to remove your jewelry.

- You won't need to bring doctor's notes. A quick explanation to security will suffice.

- I don't know the exact setting of the metal detectors but I am told they will be fairly low. Again, the point is to detect weapons.

- We are not the only event at an MCCA facility to have metal detectors added, as these are becoming mandatory for most events now.

- When it comes to long waits or walking long distances, exceptions will be made for persons with disabilities. If you are concerned about this you may approach any facility or convention security staff member to ask. You may also inquire about getting a handicapped sticker in Registration.

- As mentioned on Facebook, MCCA Security has promised us that neither the detectors nor the wands will interfere with any medical devices. If you are still concerned, you may opt for a quick pat down.

- The Pru doors are both entrance and exit. However, If you would like enter the Hynes from the Prudential, you will be asked to exit the mall and re-enter through the alleyway door in between the mall and the Sheraton, as indicated on the map. This will help to avoid the massively unsafe congestion experienced at these doors a few years ago.

- The alley doors are also both entrance and exit, so if you are leaving the Sheraton and would like to get in to the Prudential line, then you can exit through the alley doors and follow the line to the end.

- Since you're being asked to go around outside anyway, I would highly recommend using the Boylston St. entrance, as you will spend less time outside and the entrance has a roof overhead. :)

- For those of you trying to pass between Sheraton and Hynes, you will find that the doorway that connects Artist Alley to the 3rd floor of the Sheraton is very convenient.

And to respond to this:
Gackage wrote:I've been to both the TD Garden, and Fenway. And every time I went I would never have to go through a metal detector. So I do have a questiona, about what to do with eletronics (like cell phone) and then what to do with a bag if you bring it.
As someone who has been to both a Red Sox game and a Bruins game within the last year, I can say quite confidently that at Fenway Park you are now required to pass through a metal detector, and at the TD Garden they are using wands at the ticket entrances.

Thank you all again for your patience and cooperation! We've been working on gathering as much information as we can to make sure you are all well informed. Also special thanks to my AB colleagues who are answering questions. :)
Kristen Leiding
Anime Boston 2024
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Nenya wrote:detailed explanation
Thank you so much for the details! Knowing what to expect ahead of time definitely helps to alleviate my own anxiety. You guys are great at keeping us updated!
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

One other suggestion is that getting into the Hynes without a bag will be faster than going in with one (as you skip the bag inspection). If you're already in the Hynes but need to go out for a bit, leave your bag with a responsible friend you trust.

You can also bring your bag to the bag/coat check in the Hynes. The price will be $1 per item, but they will hold it for you until you retrieve it. Just be sure to get it back before the Hynes closes for the night. That way you don't have to wait for your bag to be inspected each time you enter the Hynes.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Gackage
Experienced Poster

Post by Gackage »

Nenya wrote:To clear up some other things!

- MCCA Security are looking for weapons and other illegal items. We are not denying entry to persons who have metal on them or inside their cosplay.

- Cosplayers will not be asked to take off costumes. A quick explanation to MCCA Security as to why the detector is going of will suffice.

- In fact, no one is going to be asked to get naked in the middle of the hallway.

- If your cosplay does not fit through the detectors they will have you go around the detector and use wands.

- You will pass your bag on for inspection and will walk through the metal detectors separately. The idea is that these two things will be done in tandem.

- You will not have to remove your jewelry.

- You won't need to bring doctor's notes. A quick explanation to security will suffice.

- I don't know the exact setting of the metal detectors but I am told they will be fairly low. Again, the point is to detect weapons.

- We are not the only event at an MCCA facility to have metal detectors added, as these are becoming mandatory for most events now.

- When it comes to long waits or walking long distances, exceptions will be made for persons with disabilities. If you are concerned about this you may approach any facility or convention security staff member to ask. You may also inquire about getting a handicapped sticker in Registration.

- As mentioned on Facebook, MCCA Security has promised us that neither the detectors nor the wands will interfere with any medical devices. If you are still concerned, you may opt for a quick pat down.

- The Pru doors are both entrance and exit. However, If you would like enter the Hynes from the Prudential, you will be asked to exit the mall and re-enter through the alleyway door in between the mall and the Sheraton, as indicated on the map. This will help to avoid the massively unsafe congestion experienced at these doors a few years ago.

- The alley doors are also both entrance and exit, so if you are leaving the Sheraton and would like to get in to the Prudential line, then you can exit through the alley doors and follow the line to the end.

- Since you're being asked to go around outside anyway, I would highly recommend using the Boylston St. entrance, as you will spend less time outside and the entrance has a roof overhead. :)

- For those of you trying to pass between Sheraton and Hynes, you will find that the doorway that connects Artist Alley to the 3rd floor of the Sheraton is very convenient.

And to respond to this:
Gackage wrote:I've been to both the TD Garden, and Fenway. And every time I went I would never have to go through a metal detector. So I do have a questiona, about what to do with eletronics (like cell phone) and then what to do with a bag if you bring it.
As someone who has been to both a Red Sox game and a Bruins game within the last year, I can say quite confidently that at Fenway Park you are now required to pass through a metal detector, and at the TD Garden they are using wands at the ticket entrances.

Thank you all again for your patience and cooperation! We've been working on gathering as much information as we can to make sure you are all well informed. Also special thanks to my AB colleagues who are answering questions. :)

So If you only have your cellphone with you will you just hand it to an officer while you go through the metal detector, or will it not set off the metal detector at all?
Executionervt009
Experienced Poster

Post by Executionervt009 »

Will these new line routing measures just be during certain times such as peak hours, or will it be all the time?

I ask because historically I arrive reasonably early, don't bring a bag, and have never had more than a minute or two wait at the Prudential entrance, often just walking right through. This is usually the case when I leave and come back as well. The exception being last year on Saturday afternoon, when I took an ill-timed lunch break and Linegate2015 took place.

Also when the lines are re-routed will I still have angry people yelling at me that I can't go through to buy a coffee?

Mmm... frosty coffee...
Kasutieru
Determined Poster

Post by Kasutieru »

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but is there going to be a Bag Line and a No Bag line. I specifically made it so i wouldn't need to carry a bag this year and I'm hoping they have two separate lines like last year. Thanks a ton
Anime Boston 2018
Female Rakan, League of Legends

Past Cosplays
'17 P.P Draven
'16 P.P Draven, French Maid Draven
'15 Ahri
'14 Yin, Headmistress Fiora
'13 Cynthia, Fem Shizuo
'12 Ronald Knox, Fem Shizuo
'11 Kikyo, Cynthia
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

Kasutieru wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up yet but is there going to be a Bag Line and a No Bag line. I specifically made it so i wouldn't need to carry a bag this year and I'm hoping they have two separate lines like last year. Thanks a ton
Yes. There will be both of those this year.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
Kasutieru
Determined Poster

Post by Kasutieru »

striker923 wrote:
Kasutieru wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up yet but is there going to be a Bag Line and a No Bag line. I specifically made it so i wouldn't need to carry a bag this year and I'm hoping they have two separate lines like last year. Thanks a ton
Yes. There will be both of those this year.
Awesome thanks a ton for the quick response!
Anime Boston 2018
Female Rakan, League of Legends

Past Cosplays
'17 P.P Draven
'16 P.P Draven, French Maid Draven
'15 Ahri
'14 Yin, Headmistress Fiora
'13 Cynthia, Fem Shizuo
'12 Ronald Knox, Fem Shizuo
'11 Kikyo, Cynthia
MikanKomaeda
Experienced Poster

Post by MikanKomaeda »

What kind of proof is required in order to receive a disabled sticker?
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Executionervt009 wrote:Also when the lines are re-routed will I still have angry people yelling at me that I can't go through to buy a coffee?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to deal with the Dunkin Nazi last year. Guy peeved me so much I just went to the one in Star Market, easier to walk half a mile than trying to say to him six times "I am just trying to get a coffee, I am not interested in going in the Hynes right now."

Anyway, I hope the security was trained this year to not invade people's dignity like they did last year, laughing at personal hygiene products and acting like people with medication were Columbian cartel drug smugglers.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

More responses!

If you pass your cell phone around the detector it will not set it off. However, they're not turning away people for setting off the detector. They're trying to find weapons. Weapons will be turned away. :)

These things will be happening all the time! But as pointed out! We did not have a wait on Friday and Sunday last year, and peak hours on Saturday lasted from about 12pm-4pm. The max wait time to get in through the Prudential entrance was about 14 minutes. There was never a wait at the Boylston entrance.

No proof is needed for disablity stickers. We trust that people who truly need them will be the ones asking for them.

We have had many discussions with both security teams about the manner in which they address attendees, so I expect this will improve for this year.
Kristen Leiding
Anime Boston 2024
Anna-neko
AB Alumni

Post by Anna-neko »

Nenya wrote:More responses!
~~~much text was here~~~~
oh ok, I feel much less anxious now! Thanx for explanations
AB staff - persevering tirelessly thru all the Hynes insanity ... ehh... i dun have a non-rude adjective <_<;;

Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

There should be a tray on the side of the metal detector to place your keys, change, phone, portable gaming device, portable battery, camera, and other metallic and/or electronic items into so you can walk through the metal detector without worry of setting it off and/or having your electronics wrecked.

I plan on having a small plastic bag to put all my stuff in while I'm standing in the line (but not until I'm close to the door) so I can simply hand it and any other bag I might have to the Security people and retrieve it all once I go through the metal detector.
PyroGodFlameCosplay
Expert Poster

Post by PyroGodFlameCosplay »

i'm wearing jeans under my hamaka/shingami pants. Where i'll store my phone and , wallet , probably camera. Will i need to take that out of my pockets for the metal detector? Or can i just go through it and tell them whats in my pockets.?
Also can i keep my shoes/sandals on?
cause frankly i never liked those bins you need to put stuff in at the airport.makes me really paranoid and uncomfortable.
'my wallet has a metal piece on it too . plus my jeans have a metal button and zipper.

???
ANIME BOSTON COSPLAY 2016
SATURDAY:
IZURU KIRA [100% DONE]
Naokichan
Veteran Poster

Post by Naokichan »

Nenya wrote:- You will pass your bag on for inspection and will walk through the metal detectors separately. The idea is that these two things will be done in tandem.
can you explain this better? Do we hand off our bag, step through the metal detector, then on the other side we get our bag? I just want to make sure there aren't going to be any mix ups with bags.
Anime Boston 2016 Cosplays:
Sadness from Inside Out
Ciel Phantomhive from Black Butler
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Modern England from Hetalia

Anime Boston 2017 Cosplays:
Chat Noir from Miraculous
Mei from Overwatch
Pyrrha Nikos school outfit from RWBY
Kalyoth
Determined Poster

Post by Kalyoth »

I may take flack for this but, after the events in Paris & earlier today in Brussels, I vote 100% for overkill on safety vs. that ONE lucky SOB that succeeds in entering, hurting/killing people & destroying the event forever. It already happened once in Boston. Once was too often.
facelessman
I'm new!

Post by facelessman »

Hello i recently bought a new tablet and was planning to bring it to the con with me. In regards to the metal detectors will they damage my tablet in any way if it goes through them?