Entering The Hynes: What To Expect

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Rick_sec41
I'm new!

Re: Entering The Hynes: What To Expect

Post by Rick_sec41 »

Can I get an answer on if we are going to/from the Sheraton to the Mall for food/shopping/whatever will we be rerouted around the building as well? This will curb my local spending and overall enjoyment of this Con if that is the case.
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

facelessman wrote:Hello i recently bought a new tablet and was planning to bring it to the con with me. In regards to the metal detectors will they damage my tablet in any way if it goes through them?
As for what Kristen said earlier:
- I don't know the exact setting of the metal detectors but I am told they will be fairly low. Again, the point is to detect weapons.
However with that said, I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for your tablet. Would you want to risk putting it through the detector on the off-chance that it does something wonky to your tablet? Probably not.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager
Max465
Experienced Poster

Post by Max465 »

facelessman wrote:Hello i recently bought a new tablet and was planning to bring it to the con with me. In regards to the metal detectors will they damage my tablet in any way if it goes through them?
Probably not, but if you're still worried (and probably to be safe anyway) I'm sure you can just hand it to a security member before going through and receive it once done. Much like bringing a bag/phone/etc through an airport.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Rick_sec41 wrote:Can I get an answer on if we are going to/from the Sheraton to the Mall for food/shopping/whatever will we be rerouted around the building as well? This will curb my local spending and overall enjoyment of this Con if that is the case.
No. Traveling between the mall and Sheraton will not be rerouted. The route on the map for the Hynes main entrance is only when going from the Pru Mall directly into the Hynes.

If security (whether our own or Pru security) tell you the line for the Hynes is over there, just tell them you're going to the Sheraton, because you are.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Aceuuu
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Aceuuu »

BurlyAdopter wrote:Is ticket pickup still in the Sheraton, roughly 40 feet from the Prudential entrance?
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen anything anywhere that said it would be in a different location, but I just want to make sure. Usually on Friday I would enter through the Sheraton, pick up my badge there, and then walk down the hall connecting it to the Hynes. Will I still be able to do that?
2018 - Joker/Akira, Yamaguchi Tadashi
2017 - Portgas D. Ace
2016 - Portgas D. Ace, Kylo Ren
2015 - Portgas D. Ace, Trafalgar Law
2014 - Space Dandy
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Aceuuu wrote:
BurlyAdopter wrote:Is ticket pickup still in the Sheraton, roughly 40 feet from the Prudential entrance?
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen anything anywhere that said it would be in a different location, but I just want to make sure. Usually on Friday I would enter through the Sheraton, pick up my badge there, and then walk down the hall connecting it to the Hynes. Will I still be able to do that?
Registration is still in the Sheraton. Same place it has been the last several years.
Chris O'Connell

Aceuuu

Post by Aceuuu »

Faceman wrote:Registration is still in the Sheraton. Same place it has been the last several years.
Alright, thanks! I thought so but just wanted to be really sure. And I think I'm just being extra cautious here but on the website it says
"Friday, March 25: 9am - 9pm (We will be open from 8am - 9am for pre-registered members)"
but I can still pick up my badge anytime after 9am if I'm pre-registered right? I always have, but I just noticed it said that and really started overthinking it
2018 - Joker/Akira, Yamaguchi Tadashi
2017 - Portgas D. Ace
2016 - Portgas D. Ace, Kylo Ren
2015 - Portgas D. Ace, Trafalgar Law
2014 - Space Dandy
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

Naokichan wrote:
Nenya wrote:- You will pass your bag on for inspection and will walk through the metal detectors separately. The idea is that these two things will be done in tandem.
can you explain this better? Do we hand off our bag, step through the metal detector, then on the other side we get our bag? I just want to make sure there aren't going to be any mix ups with bags.
That is correct! The metal detectors are only a couple feet long. (You're almost literally stepping through it.) Your bag won't be going far from you.
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
Nenya
AB Executive

Post by Nenya »

Aceuuu wrote:
Faceman wrote:Registration is still in the Sheraton. Same place it has been the last several years.
Alright, thanks! I thought so but just wanted to be really sure. And I think I'm just being extra cautious here but on the website it says
"Friday, March 25: 9am - 9pm (We will be open from 8am - 9am for pre-registered members)"
but I can still pick up my badge anytime after 9am if I'm pre-registered right? I always have, but I just noticed it said that and really started overthinking it
If you're pre-registered you can pick up your bag any time Registration is open.
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
oobedoob

Post by oobedoob »

Animelover4life wrote:My husband has Titanium in their ankle and foot from past ankle surgery do you suggest they bring a doctor's note stating this in-case it set off the metal detector?
I have a plate in my ankle (I've had it for 5 years now) and have yet to set off any metal detectors. I have no problem with rolling down my sock to show the scars if I'm ever stopped, but I do carry and implant card with me just in case. :D
DRei-chan
Expert Poster

Post by DRei-chan »

Since I'm staying at the Sheraton I got a feeling I'll be using the Artist Alley entrance the most(obviously because I won't have to leave the hotel to enter the con). Next to that, the Boyslon St. entrance is my second prefer choice.
Anime Boston '16:
-Shinoa Hiragi - Owari no Seraph/Seraph of the End
-Slytherin!Jack Frost - The Big Four Harry Potter AU
-Danny Fenton - Danny Phantom
-Princess Twilight Sparkle - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Max465
Experienced Poster

Post by Max465 »

There's actually just one more thing I'd like to ask about the entrance to the hynes from the prudential center. Actually, in a more technical sense, the exit.

Last year my ONLY negative encounter with security involved one guard stationed immediately after the bag check (Otherwise most of my encounters were pretty positive I even chatted with one).

After waiting for about 10 minutes in line, I desperately needed to go to the bathroom, and the closest bathroom after getting out is the one directly right in the exit lane. So I go to it. Upon Exiting the bathroom I immediately (Not thinking it would be a problem) headed back into the convention center.

I get yelled at to turn around by some guard. I wasn't about the turn around and go through the 10 minute line though and pretty much stood their stubbornly, so we pretty much had a stare down before he eventually let me in.

Is there a way to make that bathroom NOT a part of the Exit lane? Or at the very least watch for people coming out of it. I could imagine a more timid person giving in almost instantly and having to wait through line again JUST because they needed to go to the bathroom. I hope that's something that is addressed to security.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

That's X-ray machines. Plus if you have a bag they won't put it through the metal detectors.
Kalyoth wrote:I may take flack for this but, after the events in Paris & earlier today in Brussels, I vote 100% for overkill on safety vs. that ONE lucky SOB that succeeds in entering, hurting/killing people & destroying the event forever. It already happened once in Boston. Once was too often.
While the Hynes is not analog to an airport known for shipping weapons to Israel I will bite: tactically the crowds going into the convention center are drastically easier targets. Who would try to do anything inside a building with the police around at all times, and only two remotely viable exits? It's the lines we have to be worried about now.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Alright people. Let's keep this thread on topic or I will lock it down.

If you have questions regarding what will happen when you enter the Hynes, or the best routes or practices, please ask away. But I'd like to keep the hypothetical situations to a minimum, especially given the horrible events in Brussels this week. We're doing everything we can, and everything that the state and city is asking us to do.
Chris O'Connell

Glyffi
Expert Poster

Post by Glyffi »

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you get to the entrance by the Artist Alley?
This Year's Plans:

Shy Guy & Umbreon
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Kokoro wrote:This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you get to the entrance by the Artist Alley?
You can access the Artists' Alley entrance via the 3rd floor of the Sheraton. The third floor of the Sheraton connects to the second floor of the Hynes. If you go to where the manga library is on the Sheraton 3rd floor, there's a hallway nearby that breaks off the main hallway. It has a slight incline to it, leading to double doors that go into the Hynes.

This entrance is only open during Artists' Alley hours.
Chris O'Connell

Maydog
Experienced Poster

Post by Maydog »

Kalyoth wrote:I may take flack for this but, after the events in Paris & earlier today in Brussels, I vote 100% for overkill on safety vs. that ONE lucky SOB that succeeds in entering, hurting/killing people & destroying the event forever. It already happened once in Boston. Once was too often.
Hi everyone. I am coming from New York City to AB and have been attending with my group for a couple of years now. I am reading a lot of questions about the metal detectors. Unfortunately I can't remember a doorway without one anymore where I am . Lol. I wouldn't worry too much though. Just communicate well with the person who will be checking you and your bag. It should go pretty smooth. Be aware of your surroundings and look out for everyone and we all should exepct to have another great time.
kmt5700
I'm new!

Post by kmt5700 »

We are expecting to pretty much spen Fri am at the Sheraton. Can we get to those panels without going through the artistalley? If we can go directly into the Sheraton, where is the way in? I've never gone there before.
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

kmt5700 wrote:We are expecting to pretty much spen Fri am at the Sheraton. Can we get to those panels without going through the artistalley? If we can go directly into the Sheraton, where is the way in? I've never gone there before.
You can enter the Sheraton lobby from Dalton street, or the Sheraton's second floor from the Prudential mall. Registration is in the Sheraton 2nd floor, so once you get your badge you can stay in that building.
Chris O'Connell

THX1139
Veteran Poster

Post by THX1139 »

Just to let you know, so far, the Sheraton to artist alley door has had a short line to no line. There is no wait in the no bag line.
Badge name THX1139 not cosplaying.