Addressing questions about Facilities and Bag Lines

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Nenya
AB Executive

Addressing questions about Facilities and Bag Lines

Post by Nenya »

Hello Everyone,

There were a lot of questions and concerns related to facilities and bag inspection lines at Anime Boston 2015 and we would like to try and address as many of those as we can.

Hynes 2nd Floor North Escalators: We were informed at the start of the show that MCCA staff noticed that this set of escalators was not operating properly at peak occupancy. To avoid having the escalators break down in the middle of the weekend, they limited the occupancy to 10 persons per escalator at a time. They thought that this solution would be better than losing the escalators all together. Because this particular set of escalators is at a very high traffic point, they expected a bit of a backup, and set up stations to help direct the flow of people.

Prudential Courtyard: For every year the courtyard is not open, this is due to weather. This decision is made by the Prudential Mall. If the ground is still too soft and wet, heavy foot traffic will damage the area, so they keep it closed to preserve this space.

Hynes Prudential Entrance: During Anime Boston 2014, it became clear to us that we needed a better plan to address the time it took to get through the Hynes/Prudential entrance bag inspection and we needed a place to put the resulting line.

Our security manager at the MCCA put a lot of thought and effort in to crafting a plan to increase the speed and efficiency of the bag inspections at the Hynes/Prudential entrance. This plan cut down the average wait time from 28 minutes (2014 time) to 14 minutes during peak times. This wait was only existed on Saturday. On Friday, there was virtually no wait. As this was our first year implementing this plan, it was not without some flaws. We did discover that combining the Exit line with the No Bag line became problematic at peak hours where people would be leaving the convention center to get lunch or dinner. You might have noticed that during these hours, the No Bag line was absorbed in to the Bag Check line to accommodate for the increase in outflow of people into the mall.

Despite the plan we had to address the bag inspections themselves, we still anticipated there would be a line during peak times, so we moved on to address the placement of this line. The Sheraton hallways are too small and are not an option. This led us to look to the Prudential Mall. We were finally able to speak with the Prudential Mall about this but it was very close to the date of our event. This is the first time we have been able to make contact and work with the Prudential Mall. They informed us that the crowding we experienced at this entrance in 2014 was a life safety risk and they would not allow us to house this line inside the mall, as it would only exacerbate the problem.

The main pain point they were looking to address was the hallway leading from the Microsoft Store to the Hynes Convention Center. The Prudential Mall informed us that they planned to allow traffic to flow from the Hynes into the mall, but for those returning to the Hynes their goal was to move people around to the front of the mall to the Boylston St. entrance, or to move them to the back exit by the Cheesecake Factory so that they could loop around to the Sheraton Hallway Entrance. They deemed this hallway as the appropriate place to house any line that may form at the Hynes/Prudential entrance.

The Prudential Mall asked for our help in executing this plan and with the goal of safety and cooperation in mind, we agreed. They asked us to post some of our own volunteer security staff inside the mall to help direct attendees with the same message as Prudential Security. They also asked us to place signs outside the building to help direct people from the Cheesecake Factory exit around to the Sheraton Hallway Entrance, which we did. Midway through the day on Saturday this line of communication became muddled, which did result in some confusion.

This plan as it was given to us was also very new, and its flaws were easily exposed on Saturday. We will continue to grow our relationship with the Prudential so we can continue to improve upon this plan. The goal of the Prudential Mall is to keep all people traffic in the hallways constantly flowing for the safety of those inside of the building.

We want our attendees and those sharing our space to be safe and avoid overcrowding. One thing we will continue to ask those attending the convention is to please use the very much neglected Boylston St. entrance to the Hynes. The walk from the Prudential to the Hynes via Boylston St. is exponentially shorter than the walk around to the Sheraton Hallway and offers escalators and elevators. We will also continue to urge our attendees to plan accordingly and utilize the bag check we have inside the Hynes. The convention pays extra money every year to provide this bag service at the lowest possible cost to our attendees so that it continues to be a convenience.

We wanted to apologize to anyone who was confused or inconvenienced by the changes, especially to those with disabilities. Please know that we are doing our best to try and comply with the requirements we receive from our facility partners, while considering the safety and comfort of our attendees. We will be taking all feedback into consideration as we try to improve on our plans for future years.

We have also heard many complaints regarding the volume and tone with which Prudential and MCCA security staff were giving their instructions. These security staff were trying to project their voices in such a way as to be heard by a large number of people. For any of you who felt uncomfortable because of this, we apologize. This feedback is being heard by our own security team, and will be passed on to the security teams of our facility partners. If any one would like to reach out to us directly with solutions, please don’t hesitate to send an e-mail to operations@animeboston.com .

Those of us who volunteer as staff for Anime Boston love this convention and truly want it to be enjoyed by all of those attending. To hear that we fell short in some areas is a disappointment, and we look forward to the opportunity to improve upon our systems for the betterment of your experience. Thank you all for your understanding and support.

Anime Boston 2015
Executive Team
Kristen Leiding
Director of Guest Relations
Anime Boston 2024
karriachinoryu
Veteran Poster

Re: Addressing questions about Facilities and Bag Lines

Post by karriachinoryu »

In response to the bag check lines, I felt that the security staff was very helpful. They were very good at getting our attention as to which way we should go. Personally, I think it would have been even better if there had been more frequent signs guiding us to the alternate entrance. I found myself wondering "how much longer should I be walking this way?"
laserx
I'm new!

Post by laserx »

No worries! You were trying new things so there was likely to be some confusion. The only huge line I experienced was getting back into the convention centre after we got lunch on Saturday, but even then it was a 20-30 minute wait tops (kinda nippy outside tho). That and there was a TON of people there Saturday.

It's really hard to balance functionality with safety. I understand.

I didn't really find any problem with the staff's tone either. I work with high school students so class rooms get noisy sometimes. Magnify that by ten fold in the convention centre and I can understand why you'd have to borderline yell orders.

But your perspective on improving the flow of things is much appreciated.
"Kanbaru, if they find out what you did here, a lot of people will say a lot of things to you. Some will say you did the right thing. And some will say you did the wrong thing. But that’s not what matters. No matter what anyone says, you don’t have to worry. Because you didn't do the right thing and you didn't do the wrong thing. It was all part of being young."
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

I do understand the safety of everyone is definitely top priority, whether they are con goers or not. However, I will like to mention that weather should also be considered when doing these detours. My main concern, looking at it, is in between the Sheraton and Prudential where the line looped outside. Not a criticism, just a thought.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked
Bri Chan
Experienced Poster

Post by Bri Chan »

I'm saying something similar in my con coverage in the online publication I write for, but I really had no problem with the way the lines were handled. Did I think it was a little inconvenient when I came into the Pru dragging a suitcase and had to go all the way around? Sure, but I also remember the gridlocked foot traffic in the Pru last year. I would GLADLY take 8 or 10 minutes of a detour over 20 minutes of gridlock.
Dramaticrabbit
AB Staff

Post by Dramaticrabbit »

I don't know if this is really a major concern but I couldn't go into the 18+ events with my student id, which had my date of birth right on it. I was really upset :(
Now I have to get a state id...
Hannah Tsukroff
AB Staff 2022- Event Photographer
AB Staff 2023- Event Photographer
AB Staff 2024- Event Photographer
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

Dramaticrabbit wrote:I don't know if this is really a major concern but I couldn't go into the 18+ events with my student id, which had my date of birth right on it. I was really upset :(
Now I have to get a state id...
yup. We're actually pretty strict on that rule. you 100% need a government issued ID in order to attend 18+ events. any other form of ID is only good for badge pickup.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

animosc
Expert Poster

Post by animosc »

Thank you for explaining the wrap-around line/detour situation. I completely understand that safety is of the utmost priority to everyone and I greatly appreciate that AB worked with both the Hynes and Prudential Mall to make things run as smoothly as possible.

I was initially under the impression that the detours were a last-minute thing that was done in immediate response to the large number of attendees. However, based on Nenya's explanation, they were actually planned in advance. In that case, might I suggest that in the future, you include in the program a separate sheet of paper with a map or an explanation detailing the detours? If such plans are already finalized in advance, there is no reason not to alert everyone about it before Saturday so that people can plan ahead and won't be completely surprised.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

animosc wrote:In that case, might I suggest that in the future, you include in the program a separate sheet of paper with a map or an explanation detailing the detours? If such plans are already finalized in advance, there is no reason not to alert everyone about it before Saturday so that people can plan ahead and won't be completely surprised.
I suggest this paper be included in the Con Chowdah, and an online version made available in the guidebook app.

Also, some sort of animated presentation would certainly help get the word out; it could be made available online on the con site and social media weeks or months before con even opens! At con, the animation would be shown at opening ceremonies (like the "in the event of an emergency" blurbs in movie theaters), and repeated throughout the weekend prior to the larger panels. The animation would run all day Friday to, say, 6:00 pm Saturday. In the animation's voiceover, make it clear that the plan is provisional, and may or may not be implemented.

Another thing that would help is (and I apologize if this was done this year and I don't remember) using pre-printed detour signs using AB's distinctive white typeface and blue/orange graphics--something that will catch our eye and reassure us we're on the right path. There were signs this year, but I'd say much of the walk consisted of simply following the herd in front of me.

One last detail: I was one (of many) who was really put off by the Pru security's demeanor at the Hynes door. But the more I think about it, I'm sure at least some of the guards' frustration came from straining to be heard. Might I suggest the use of megaphones, set at a relatively low volume? This way, the guards can do their job and still use a calm, authoritative tone of voice. If they don't sound stressed, it'll help keep the attendees' tempers down, too.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
bearforceone
I'm new!

Post by bearforceone »

Nenya wrote:We have also heard many complaints regarding the volume and tone with which Prudential and MCCA security staff were giving their instructions. These security staff were trying to project their voices in such a way as to be heard by a large number of people. For any of you who felt uncomfortable because of this, we apologize.
I love you guys and this con, and I know this is more MCCA staff than anyone at AB, but security staff "projecting their voices" wasn't the issue. My girlfriend was certainly close enough during her bag check that she didn't need to be barked at for the guard to project to her, and another friend certainly didn't deserve having her tampons taken out of her bag and waved around for all to see while a guard confronted her with why she would be carrying those around. Security staff was offensive and inappropriate, and them screaming at individuals for taking the wrong lane is only part of it.
LadyMana
AB Staff

Post by LadyMana »

I have to mention that one of my friends couldn't make it to her room in the Sheraton at one point for a costume change because of the way that some staffers were redirecting people. And when I was in the Pru trying to go in the direction to the Hynes from Microsoft, the staff were trying to redirect everyone with a badge, no matter your reason. I regret to say I shoved passed these volunteers because I simply wanted to sit on the bench off to the side behind them. This also blocks some people off from getting to the garage or if they simply wanted to go into Dunkin' Donuts. I know some people were extremely upset with redirections when they had no intention of going into the Hynes at that time and I have to say that both dealing with that on a small degree and hearing about it from friends makes my blood boil. I even saw an older couple (who had badges) just trying to get out to go eat and their heads were spinning because so many staffers were telling them to go here and go there when they had no intentions of getting into the con.
I've been attending AB since 2010, so I understand it's new and has room to improve, that jazz. But redirecting everyone with a badge was idiotic.

Lux Douglas
Photosets & Cosplay Gatherings Asst. Coordinator 2024
Cosplay Singer Coordinator 2023
Idol Showcase Staff 2021, 2022
Maid Café Staff 2019, 2020

Twitch Twitter Instagram TikTok Tumblr
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

Last edited by Shinden on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

TheCosplayVlogger wrote:I have to mention that one of my friends couldn't make it to her room in the Sheraton at one point for a costume change because of the way that some staffers were redirecting people. And when I was in the Pru trying to go in the direction to the Hynes from Microsoft, the staff were trying to redirect everyone with a badge, no matter your reason. I regret to say I shoved passed these volunteers because I simply wanted to sit on the bench off to the side behind them. This also blocks some people off from getting to the garage or if they simply wanted to go into Dunkin' Donuts. I know some people were extremely upset with redirections when they had no intention of going into the Hynes at that time and I have to say that both dealing with that on a small degree and hearing about it from friends makes my blood boil. I even saw an older couple (who had badges) just trying to get out to go eat and their heads were spinning because so many staffers were telling them to go here and go there when they had no intentions of getting into the con.
I've been attending AB since 2010, so I understand it's new and has room to improve, that jazz. But redirecting everyone with a badge was idiotic.
This a million times over.

Guys. Not all of us are going into the Hynes. We're getting food. We're shopping. It's a f---ing mall.

And saying firmly "I am going to Dunkin Donuts. I am not going to the Hynes" should work. Don't you dare give me that disapproving head shake. We are not damn cattle. I am getting my damn coffee and going to the damn tables to enjoy it.
bearforceone wrote:
Nenya wrote:We have also heard many complaints regarding the volume and tone with which Prudential and MCCA security staff were giving their instructions. These security staff were trying to project their voices in such a way as to be heard by a large number of people. For any of you who felt uncomfortable because of this, we apologize.
I love you guys and this con, and I know this is more MCCA staff than anyone at AB, but security staff "projecting their voices" wasn't the issue. My girlfriend was certainly close enough during her bag check that she didn't need to be barked at for the guard to project to her, and another friend certainly didn't deserve having her tampons taken out of her bag and waved around for all to see while a guard confronted her with why she would be carrying those around. Security staff was offensive and inappropriate, and them screaming at individuals for taking the wrong lane is only part of it.
If you ever see that happen again you should take a badge name and report that very firmly. I know if certain personal health related effects were taken out of my bag and displayed like that I would be red in the face with anger. That staffer needs to be fired or seriously demoted.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
ResistNormal
Getting the hang of this...

Post by ResistNormal »

You guys need to partner up with other prominent conventions like PAX and stand up to the state. These bag check are worthless and keep no one safe and are causing problems that are detrimental to the con experience. You have to stand up to this because these bogus security measures are a transparent plan to draw the maximum amount of money out of the con and these cost will be passed on to us. You can't compare an anime con or a gaming con to other events like concerts and sports because they would never allow giant cosplay props in. Otakon doesn't do this, AX doesn't to this and they are larger cons. You are creating a bad experience where there was only positivity before. The city will keep bleeding you dry with these backdoor taxes, in the form of security concerns until you leave.

This also doesn't explain why you found it acceptable to have people lined up outside in unseasonable weather.

Plus if you keep a New Englander form their dunken Donuts coffee you are only asking for trouble.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

ResistNormal wrote:You guys need to partner up with other prominent conventions like PAX and stand up to the state. These bag check are worthless and keep no one safe and are causing problems that are detrimental to the con experience.
i actually agree with this, it's security theater. the bag checks aren't designed to keep us safe, it's designed to make the appearance of keeping us safe.

unfortunately, appearance, like possession, is 9/10 of the law. i wouldn't expect ab or pax to have much luck saying "look, we're renting the space, let us run our event our way".

like most negative experiences, there is probably some bureaucratic red tape (possibly legislated as this IS massachusetts we're talking about, possibly liability based) that is tying their hands.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
Oos
Expert Poster

Post by Oos »

reaper527 wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:You guys need to partner up with other prominent conventions like PAX and stand up to the state. These bag check are worthless and keep no one safe and are causing problems that are detrimental to the con experience.
i actually agree with this, it's security theater. the bag checks aren't designed to keep us safe, it's designed to make the appearance of keeping us safe.

unfortunately, appearance, like possession, is 9/10 of the law. i wouldn't expect ab or pax to have much luck saying "look, we're renting the space, let us run our event our way".

like most negative experiences, there is probably some bureaucratic red tape (possibly legislated as this IS massachusetts we're talking about, possibly liability based) that is tying their hands.
Exactly. I think I heard someone got caught with alcohol but that's ALCOHOL. I literally do not care if someone wants to get trashed and yes i know it could bring bad things on the con if a minor gets a hold of it but? Again I bring up Otakon and AX.

AB staff should get in touch with the staff of those venues and compare notes on how to handle large crowds without having to make it even worse with bag checks. i got grilled about my medications of all things while i was there. Make rules, enforce the serious ones, make sure security takes any report seriously and actually investigates, and if someone breaks a safety rule then you throw them out and never let them back. Don't assume EVERYONE is going to break a rule like that. that's how things stop being fun and start becoming a chore.

You dont want to stress people out before they EVEN COME TO THE CON. Explore other ways to do this.
AB '19 roster!

Friday: Internal Affairs Tonbokiri (Touken Ranbu)
Saturday: Saizo (Fire Emblem Fates)
Sunday: Yamabushi Kunihiro (Touken Ranbu)
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Oos wrote:
reaper527 wrote:

Exactly. I think I heard someone got caught with alcohol but that's ALCOHOL. I literally do not care if someone wants to get trashed and yes i know it could bring bad things on the con if a minor gets a hold of it but? Again I bring up Otakon and AX.

AB staff should get in touch with the staff of those venues and compare notes on how to handle large crowds without having to make it even worse with bag checks. i got grilled about my medications of all things while i was there. Make rules, enforce the serious ones, make sure security takes any report seriously and actually investigates, and if someone breaks a safety rule then you throw them out and never let them back. Don't assume EVERYONE is going to break a rule like that. that's how things stop being fun and start becoming a chore.

You dont want to stress people out before they EVEN COME TO THE CON. Explore other ways to do this.
It has been stated by multiple post that bag check is not something the staff at Anime Boston nor the staff at the Hynes wants to do. It is a rule implemented by the state of Massachusetts which is why PAX East also has bag check.
Past Conventions:

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries

FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Post by FarFromRedemption »

There is one thing that can be done to avoid worrying about what the guards will find in your bag....Don't bring a bag. If you don't want the hassle of having to get a bag searched then simply don't bring one. I manage every AB to get along all well and fine without a bag. I stuff my cell phone, ID, credit/debit cards, cash, and a tiny med pack (Tylenol, Tums, and a couple band aids) into my cosplays boots/shoes therefore avoiding the need to have my bag searched.
I know it's not always an option for everyone, but then you just need to go with the flow and accept it just like everyone else. If you really can't accept that premise then the only option left is to simply not go.
No one is forcing you to go, no one is forcing you to bring a bag, it is all by choice.

As far as going outside during the detour really it could have been worse you are after all in the New England where is can be 70 and sunny one day and 35 and pouring the next, so not even the best planning and account for weather. Besides it only got detoured for a very small window of the day comparatively speaking and those were peek hours what did you think would happen? Here is another brilliant idea try to avoid coming or going during expected peek hours...my husband actively avoided peek hours all weekend and he had to wait in the "bag check" line because we had a young child (15 months old) with a stroller and a diaper bag and he never I repeat never waited more the 5 minutes or stand outside to get into the Hynes from the Pru entrance...hmm that tells ya something right there.
And me? I went into the Hynes at 9am on Saturday and did not leave until past 9:30pm (Yes I was involved in the entertainment for many of you on Saturday as were a lot of other fantastic folks who put up with the same lines as you did and still managed to be on time for the events you all love to see.) My only break was during peek hours where I knew if I left to get food I would not be back in time for my planned events so I made a choice to stay in the Hynes and eat at those horribly overprices kiosks outside the dealers room (seriously I spent $18 on a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a small bag of chips...) just so I wouldn't get stuck outside the Hynes.

The bag checks are there for safety and I appreciate the fact the Anime Boston, The Hynes, and the Pru all care enough to make this happen for us every year and keep us all safe while doing it. The least we can do as accept when they apologize for the inconveniences and offer creative constructive suggests on how to improve the system because frankly folks I don't think the bag checks are going to go away.

Well those are my suggestions folks until next year Peace! ;)
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
Oos
Expert Poster

Post by Oos »

FarFromRedemption wrote:There is one thing that can be done to avoid worrying about what the guards will find in your bag....Don't bring a bag. If you don't want the hassle of having to get a bag searched then simply don't bring one. I manage every AB to get along all well and fine without a bag. I stuff my cell phone, ID, credit/debit cards, cash, and a tiny med pack (Tylenol, Tums, and a couple band aids) into my cosplays boots/shoes therefore avoiding the need to have my bag searched.
I know it's not always an option for everyone, but then you just need to go with the flow and accept it just like everyone else. If you really can't accept that premise then the only option left is to simply not go.
No one is forcing you to go, no one is forcing you to bring a bag, it is all by choice.
I have disabilities and i have to bring a bag with me everywhere I go. What about people who have to bring medical devices with them? Or people who have to take insulin at certain times of the day?

No one is worried about what people find in their bag as they are worried about what the bag check people will say about it or take it as when they get there.

It's not as simple as 'dont bring a bag', wow.
AB '19 roster!

ThornhartThreads

Post by ThornhartThreads »

Oos wrote:
FarFromRedemption wrote:There is one thing that can be done to avoid worrying about what the guards will find in your bag....Don't bring a bag. If you don't want the hassle of having to get a bag searched then simply don't bring one. I manage every AB to get along all well and fine without a bag. I stuff my cell phone, ID, credit/debit cards, cash, and a tiny med pack (Tylenol, Tums, and a couple band aids) into my cosplays boots/shoes therefore avoiding the need to have my bag searched.
I have disabilities and i have to bring a bag with me everywhere I go. What about people who have to bring medical devices with them? Or people who have to take insulin at certain times of the day?

No one is worried about what people find in their bag as they are worried about what the bag check people will say about it or take it as when they get there.

I managed to stuff my chronic pain meds my phone, my "diabetty" stuff into a small wristlet and I was forced into the checked bag line on Saturday. Friday I had no problem. If there IS wheelchairs available for rent, perhaps mention it here or in the Con Chowdah handout. I could have stayed if I had known. Im sure one of my friends would have gladly pushed me around the con instead of me bailing on Saturday afternoon in a taxi back to Peabody because I couldnt walk.
Thursday - Gothic Lolita
Friday - Stephanie McMahon
Saturday - Lilly the Puppet
Sunday - Visual Kei
Courtie
I'm new!

Post by Courtie »

I didn't mind the tone or volume of the Hynes security staff...I did mind how they called my sister and I stupid.
Oos
Expert Poster

Post by Oos »

ThornhartThreads wrote:
Oos wrote:

I managed to stuff my chronic pain meds my phone, my "diabetty" stuff into a small wristlet and I was forced into the checked bag line on Saturday. Friday I had no problem. If there IS wheelchairs available for rent, perhaps mention it here or in the Con Chowdah handout. I could have stayed if I had known. Im sure one of my friends would have gladly pushed me around the con instead of me bailing on Saturday afternoon in a taxi back to Peabody because I couldnt walk.
which again is why there absolutely NEED to be more wheelchairs next time. Not everyone has one of their own (contrary to popular belief, people who dont normally need a wheelchair for everyday things may in fact need one during a large-scale event with a lot of walking, who knew), and the fact that there were only three (as far as i was told) at the first aid station is a huuuuuge problem. If there really are some in other places, they should be advertised in the Con Chowdah as stated, including any fees that one may have to pay to get one.

I almost had to go HOME on saturday because they had 'run out', but one was freed up shortly after thank GOODNESS. if i had to miss a day of a con that i PAID FOR because there were only 3 known chairs i would have been mighty pissed. i would not have come back.
AB '19 roster!

ResistNormal

Post by ResistNormal »

I commute via the commuter rail each day for the con so not having a bag is not an option. Why should I deprive myself or give up an enjoyable experience of animeboston because of a few horrible hiccups. We are all want the same thing, an enjoyable experience. I for one can finally be comfortable with myself at events like these because I'm not surrounded by normal people.
FarFromRedemption wrote:The bag checks are there for safety and I appreciate the fact the Anime Boston, The Hynes, and the Pru all care enough to make this happen for us every year and keep us all safe while doing it. The least we can do as accept when they apologize for the inconveniences and offer creative constructive suggests on how to improve the system because frankly folks I don't think the bag checks are going to go away.
The bags searches are for the appearance of keeping us safe NOT ACTUAL SAFETY. You would have the to be delusional to believe its about safety. If they to really wanted to keep you safe there would be pat downs and they would cutting apart cosplay items bigger than a certain size to make sure there was nothing be smuggled inside. You would also have line up hours in advance and take off certain articles of clothing. Can we stop pretending it about safety now, they do because the city told them too, period. It was a reactionary knee jerk reaction to the the marathon bombings but we why should we live our live in fear forever. If you want to 100% safe go home build a bunker and wear a helmet. We know that state mandated these changes that doesn't mean you roll over for them, Cons like these bring thousands of people and if they what happy con goers who bring in money to the city and state they will have to realize these types of security checks are not effective at all especially at these type of events.

There were two festivals that took place in my town, The Irish festival and a 4th of July celebration. Then police said due to security concerns due to 9-11 and the war in terror you need to pay the town more for increased security, added patrols, and police overtime.
There are No festivals in my town anymore thanks to that shake down. Someday the state will want more and will realize these searches are ineffective. Next comes pat downs, and x-ray machines and added cost of police overtime, all at the cons expense which will get passed down to us. I can easily see a time in the future where the city bans public cosplay because you look too suspicious not to mention the prudential seem already to hate us.

About Wheel Chairs, On Sunday morning I had to stop by the first aid station because I tripped outside.(Needed a band aid) There were three wheel chairs then two were occupied by a sleeping security guard.
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Courtie wrote:I didn't mind the tone or volume of the Hynes security staff...I did mind how they called my sister and I stupid.
Now that is just an entirely different issue and just opened up a brand new can of worms.
Past Conventions:

Past Picture Galleries