Status of the Informal Dance

This forum contains discussion about all news and announcements related to Anime Boston.
Faceman
AB Executive

Status of the Informal Dance

Post by Faceman »

Anime Boston's Informal Dance has not been held since the 2012 convention, where a series of incidents occurred during the dance. We attempted to secure an off-site location for the Informal Dance in 2013, but encountered issues with city permits and planning and had to cancel it last minute.

We have thoroughly investigated all avenues open to us in order to host an informal dance again. Unfortunately we have found that the options presented to us do not meet our needs, either in terms of safety for our attendees and staff, proximity to the Hynes Convention Center, budgetary allowance, or in meeting city licensing requirements.

Our criteria for hosting the informal dance is unlikely to become any easier to meet in the future. As our attendees population increases, it will result in needing a higher capacity venue, bigger safety concerns, more staff, and a larger Boston police detail.

The increased cost to do all of that would result in shifting money from other facets of the convention to the informal dance. It would result in a lower quality Anime Boston experience overall, in favor of one single event.

The leadership of Anime Boston is committed to bringing you the best show we possibly can. After trying to make that include an informal dance again for the past few years, we have been unable to reconcile the two. Ultimately this means that the informal dance will be suspended indefinitely.

We thank you for your understanding of the situation. We do hope that you will join us at Anime Boston 2015 and beyond to experience all the other wonderful events here.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Xias
Veteran Poster

Re: Status of the Informal Dance

Post by Xias »

I like the dance at cons and often go to them, but at the same time AB has been my personal favorite con for years now even without it. For what it's worth, I think you guys made the right call in not diverting funds away from other parts of the con just to host an informal dance again.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I'll say it again like I said last year:

I am honestly glad there isn't a dance this year. When all the stuff went down in 2012, there were talks about the convention getting shut down altogether because of what happened. Luckily it didn't surface to that, but if another dance is to be held where anything goes wrong again, it could spell doom for the convention as a whole.

As much as I like the dance at Anime Boston, I like the convention itself a lot more, and I wouldn't want another incident jeopardizing this awesome event when it comes around once a year.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Old_School_Anime_Lover02
Committed Poster

Post by Old_School_Anime_Lover02 »

anime boston doesn't need TWO DANCES there is one, and I like the fact that you have to donate to it. That way it'll keep the rif raf out.

Also it gets quite claustrophobic and there for it's not as fun for everyone. I hate (with a die hard passion) in formal dances (also known as dances) it has not (by any means in my opinion) handicapped the fun with out having it. in fact, i hate conventions who use an informal (dance) As a clutch for having something to do for the 18(+) crowd.

That's why I think (personally) That anime boston is the best because, while it is a family con and focuses on the family's needs during the day, while the kids are asleep during Friday night, (dreaming of the next fun filled day of a convention) the adults can "party" it up with the yaoi and 18+ panels and have their own laughs and make memories with out having to spoil the experience for everyone else.

I personally can't wait for the after hours convention! it's my favorite part of anime boston now that i'm of age, I can finally explore the things i wasn't able to do when i was 15

and this way, you can focus the extra money on special guests over seas, and special concerts (like the Jam Project last year) And Lissa and Yuki-chan this year. way better uses of money. Plus it's sort of like having a structured dance ^^; (while you can't dance with people you can wiggle and fan girl in your seats) and for me (coming from a short person's perspective) it's a safer.
cosplays i have complete:
Rocket Member (myself as a team rocket member)
Yurio (yuri on ice)
Rinku (yu yu hakusho
Magi (aladdin Magnoshetot)

I am only so nice once your mean to me i will ignore you and pretend you don't exist: childish but effective
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Faceman wrote:The increased cost to do all of that would result in shifting money from other facets of the convention to the informal dance. It would result in a lower quality Anime Boston experience overall, in favor of one single event.
I cannot put in words how much I appreciate this! AB is often the highlight of my year, and if resources can be allocated to make the con a greater success overall, I'm all for it.
coolforever wrote:I am honestly glad there isn't a dance this year. When all the stuff went down in 2012, there were talks about the convention getting shut down altogether because of what happened. Luckily it didn't surface to that, but if another dance is to be held where anything goes wrong again, it could spell doom for the convention as a whole.

As much as I like the dance at Anime Boston, I like the convention itself a lot more, and I wouldn't want another incident jeopardizing this awesome event when it comes around once a year.
Exactly my sentiments over the last two years. Since the informal dance has been suspended, there's been a very welcome drop in chaotic (and sometimes rude) behavior in the halls, especially at night--and I'm not the only (older) attendee to notice. And to think that this has come about with the 3,400+ additional otaku we've attracted since 2012!... 8-)
Spirit_Girl01 wrote:That's why I think (personally) That anime boston is the best because, while it is a family con and focuses on the family's needs during the day, while the kids are asleep during Friday night, (dreaming of the next fun filled day of a convention) the adults can "party" it up with the yaoi and 18+ panels and have their own laughs and make memories with out having to spoil the experience for everyone else.
It's where I spend my late nights at AB! (Not so much with the yaoi, though... :oops: )

See you all soon!
Last edited by Master of NERV on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I agree with the above sentiments. I know some people that enjoyed the event, but personally the risk and cost to get that one event going just isn't worth the trouble, and is pretty loose on criteria for even being needed at an animation convention. You can argue some music from shows will be played, but you can easily have a panel for music and avoid late-night long lines and all the other baggage. All for one event. Good call by the staff.
Steamy Bunz
Experienced Poster

Post by Steamy Bunz »

It's sad to see that people care more about this event than all the other awesome things that's going on in the convention. People don't seem to understand that it's was a perk not a necessity and it was taken away because of abuse. So I also share the sentiment, I'm glad that it's not happening. Money allocating to better the overall Convention? YES please!!!
Mamacass
Veteran Poster

Post by Mamacass »

Like the other posters said, while I do enjoy the informal dance, it is Not the main reason I go to Anime Boston. :)
AbZeroNow
Expert Poster

Post by AbZeroNow »

As an otaku in his 30s, I don't really care about the informal dance (or as others have called it "the r
a v e"). Frankly if it reduces disruptive behavior to not have it, then AB is better off. I am much more interested in dub premieres and Japanese guests and AB has seemed to have stepped up in those regards.

Maybe this year I'll also check out some of the late night stuff and the Jazz Lounge to see if I have a different experience than past cons(which were good of course).
Last edited by AbZeroNow on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Boston attendee since 2011.
Aurabolt
I'm Special!

Post by Aurabolt »

I'll be 31 come Con weekend. One look at the comments posted on Facebook tells me this was the right decision to make. I'm sure most of the negative comments were made by folks between 18 and 27.

My opinion is Anime Boston made the right call indefinitely suspending the Informal Ball. The cost, while a key factor is just one factor. While yes, the actions of a handful of folks led to it being shut down in 2012, the comments directed at Anime Boston via Facebook are shameful. I remember not even being AWARE something happened that year until Monday afternoon when Anime Boston issued a statement on what happened. Luckily, the media didn't pick up what happened as folks are still talking about it 3 years later.

In 2013, the Marathon Bombing happened and there were questions as to weather or not Anime Boston would happen at all. It did minus the Informal Ball. Folks were upset but given it was a few weeks since the Marathon Bombing, folks knew things would be be different. In 2014, the Red Sox won the World Series a few months earlier. Due to the absence of the Informal Ball, there was a generously large number of Guests of Honor compared to the last 4 years.

This year, we have Akira Takarada and Haruo Nakajima. It doesn't get any better than that and it couldn't have been easy to get them to come.

As an aside: 2012 was my first year as a panelist and my panel that night commanded my full attention so...yeah. I did my Clannad panel for the first time and the room was packed. The next two years saw almost everyone who went that year come back.

...IF the Informal Ball were to make a comeback, someone other than AB is gonna need to step up and agree to host it, cover the cost or a combination of both.
Serene Adventure on Wordpress
Aurabolt's Anime Blog

Attendee from 2010 to 2018. Ran multiple panels at AB from 2012 to 2016. Plans to return as a panelist in 2025 or 2026!

...All-around nice guy. Please subscribe to both blogs, especially the second one for Anime and Manga-related news or updates ^_^
Xias
Veteran Poster

Post by Xias »

Aurabolt wrote:...IF the Informal Ball were to make a comeback, someone other than AB is gonna need to step up and agree to host it, cover the cost or a combination of both.
Oh to be clear there ARE outside dances held at nearby clubs, or at least there were the last two years. People hand out flyers for them all the time; I almost went last year but decided against it at the last second. So if you really want that kind of environment as part of your AB experience, you can get it.....IF you're 18 or older, since I'm almost certain they were 18+ events. Which is why people are still not happy with this alternative: they're under 18 and can't get in.

I think there's probably a strong argument to be made that kids under 18 shouldn't be participating in these kinds of events anyway (which, granted, is hypocritical coming from me because I certainly did when I was under 18), so yeah, I dunno. But if you're over 18 and really want this, you can pay some kind of cover and you're good to go.
Panelist, Anime Boston 2014-2019
Presenting 3 panels at AB 2019
-New Japan Pro Wrestling
-Japan Travel Tips: Planning Your First Trip
-Bemani: From DDR to IIDX to SDVX
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

Didn't some kid at another con a few months ago up and disappear, reappearing some 50 miles away? I think it was an ANN reported story. Even if they weren't a kid, some sorta headline like that with AB attached to it is the last thing we all want I'm sure.

Oh, 30 here myself.
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

AbZeroNow wrote:Maybe this year I'll also check out some of the late night stuff and the Jazz Lounge to see if I have a different experience than past cons(which were good of course).
Trust me, you will! :D I didn't start doing the late night stuff until after my first wife passed away (she got up at 5:30 am for work, and couldn't stay awake). But when I did, AB certainly became a different con, and even more fun.
Aurabolt wrote:This year, we have Akira Takarada and Haruo Nakajima. It doesn't get any better than that and it couldn't have been easy to get them to come.
Or cheap, I daresay! 8-) But they're coming, and for the first time in 13 ABs, I'll be in line for autographs.
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Are posts where people are actually complaining getting deleated, or is everyone just railing against strawmen?
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Are posts where people are actually complaining getting deleated, or is everyone just railing against strawmen?
We rarely delete posts. We may move them to a super secret moderation forum if they're spammy or extremely inflamatory, but we haven't had to do that either.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Prince K-kyo
Experienced Poster

Post by Prince K-kyo »

I agree with the reasons why they pulled it from the con the past few years.
It was a good reason and it was for the safety of all of us.
For that, I thank you!
ANIME BOSTON 2017 LINEUP
Thurs: ???
Fri: Chip Skylark
Sat: Umaru-Chan
Sun: Vincent Brooks
Nights/Casual: Siberian Bear Zarya
Wembley
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Wembley »

Spirit_Girl01 wrote:anime boston doesn't need TWO DANCES there is one, and I like the fact that you have to donate to it. That way it'll keep the rif raf out.

Also it gets quite claustrophobic and there for it's not as fun for everyone. I hate (with a die hard passion) in formal dances (also known as dances) it has not (by any means in my opinion) handicapped the fun with out having it. in fact, i hate conventions who use an informal (dance) As a clutch for having something to do for the 18(+) crowd.
I agree with it being safer but is this hoity toity attitude looking down your nose on people who aren't you, don't like the things you do and aren't over 18 really necessary to your comment? Could have just stopped at you liked donating but 'Rif Raf'? Yeesh! I've past the 18 marker long ago and hate both dances but not everyone who isn't 18+ is a 10 year old child that's gonna be in bed by 8 and want to have some fun to get their monies worth after dark. Especially since there was no programming last year like there had been before on the TV.

Plus charity or not it'd suck for someone to go, pay for their tickets and get turned away because what they thought was formal enough was deemed 'informal'. Not to mention they might not be have the money to afford a gown or tux for a ball with all the other expenses of a convention.

Plus these announcements always seem very last minute with little warning. I just hope that the people that did come because this was a big reason they liked it held off after the past two years because I remember the announcements seeming like shorter notice then. Sad for the poor underage 'rif raf' that just want to have fun and dance. There's not many chances for them to. Sad to see it go for them.

That being said it'd be nice to see where the money will go with it cancelled, but I also wonder where that money went last year and before? Though I'm sure a bit was trying to make it work. The only changes I noticed were it was easier for some handicapped people to get in (though one staff member told me to get to the back of the line... yes that wheelchair will surely go up the stairs when I get to that point in the line).

Hopefully it'll get a bigger venue some point in the future, it's getting pretty cramped and the numbers increase every year.
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

I'm hoping that the time they can drop from having to figure out the informal dance will go to giving the AB security volunteers a little bit more training in the rules of line management.
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

To speak on where money goes, in a general sense- the cost of production alone rises yearly, that's just the nature of doing events and we're dedicated to keeping up with standards of the quality of our technical production each year. The cost of doing business period generally rises each year and as we grow. By not doing a dance, the money that would have been spent on that event will go to help with production costs, or for guests, or publications, or new programming tracks Programming might want to try, or to cover that rising cost in general of doing business so we don't have to keep raising ticket prices, which we realllllly don't like doing if we can help it.

It doesn't simply shift from one item to another, it's spread out to improve and cover many different parts of our budget. A lot of the "where is the money going then?" can be things unfortunately not easily visible, but believe me, the money that comes into the show or money that is reallocated if an event no longer happens goes right back into the show and making it happen yearly.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Also, if you have feedback on our line management, please definitely use our Contact Form to give feedback for Security's consideration. :)
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
Shiggitay
Expert Poster

Post by Shiggitay »

So wait.. is the "Informal Ball/Dance" the Friday night dance? If so, I totally agree with this decision. In my opinion I don't think that dances belong at anime conventions. As sadly proven back in 2012 it seems to attract trouble, and it seems to encourage people to get drunk and stupid in the process... Just my $0.02.
lordofvt
AB Staff

Post by lordofvt »

Anime Boston does not have an informal dance. The Friday night dance is our charity Ball. It is a formal dance. You can read more about it on our Formal Ball page here http://www.animeboston.com/programming/formal_ball/
Andrew Reckers
Schedule Coordinator 2021-2022
Director of Programming 2015-2020