Help with avisynth, please?

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Well the panel didn't really help at all. The questions I asked at the panel were obscurely answered.

Virtualdub refuses to open my .avs or .d2v script. I have checked all of my scripting more than once and redownloaded everything and tried again, etc. I honestly am completely lost now. If this is the only way to deinterlace my DVDs, then I'm out of luck.

Here are some screenshots of my work so you can see the errors:
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ ... error2.jpg
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/ ... error1.jpg
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

I think we answered your question pretty accurately based on what I'm seeing in the screenshots.

Your versions of DGMPGDec and AVISynth are not getting along, which means that one of them is either newer or older than it should be. You need to uninstall everything and reinstall the AMVApp (as opposed to seperately if that's how you're doing it), which will have versions of those software that are proven to get along with each other. Check your DGMPGDec settings, not just your script, which looks fine as far as I can tell.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I just uninstalled and reinstalled everything using solely the app.

Now it's telling me I have an "unrecognized exception error."
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Did you try running a search on the AMV.org forums for that exception error. I've found that whenever I encounter errors, bugs, or other issues, 99% of the time someone else has already had it, solved it, and documented what they did. You just have to look hard enough. Also you'll have a larger audience on the forums and more assistance (never mind the pros here are probably in transit home from the con, or just dead tired for now).

From the search I did do for that error, it either seems to be an issue with parameters used in the script, or with the .dll files for the AMVApp addins. You may need to try un-installing the AMVApp again and then manually making sure any and all related programs are removed as well.

And in the panelists' defense, I think they did answer your question as best as they possibly could. Asking them in that situation why you're getting an error is like going to see a mechanic and asking them why you're car won't start, but not bringing your car for them to look at.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I finally got it to work, but just one more question, how should I compress the .avi files with virtualdub? I tried using one codec, I forget which (I'm not on my computer right now) but I think it was the lossless one or something that came with the app. When the file finished saving, I checked the file size and nearly had a heart attack because it was around 50 GB O___O I deleted that straight away even though it took over an hour to save. I'm surprised my poor computer didn't explode. xD
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
Ryuokami Tora
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Ryuokami Tora »

You probably used uncompressed. That has a tendancy to generate huge files. Try HuffYUV and other lossless codecs, they compress the files without losing quality like dvix and others do, hence lossless. Though they will still be larger than Divx, I think I got something like 1-2Gb per a 24 min episode of haruhi suzumiya.

Hope this is helpful
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Ryuokami Tora]Though they will still be larger than Divx, I think I got something like 1-2Gb per a 24 min episode of haruhi suzumiya.

Hope this is helpful[/quote]

You're not being very helpful, HuffYUV tends to run at an average of 1GB/minute of footage (give or take, YMMV), so your numbers are off for that episode. I know for a fact that FLCL eps were about 20GB each, I imagine Haruhi would be similar.

HuffYUV is a lossless codec that should be used for editing and master copies to be used as source for distribution encodes (MPEG2, XviD, MP4, etc), not as a distro encode in and of itself.
Ryuokami Tora
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Ryuokami Tora »

Ah, yes. You're right. I was looking at the wrong copy. I got 17.6 Gb per video. Sorry, It's a large gap. I'm not sure which codec was used for the the 2Gb video. Oh well, sorry again. Ignore that part of my previous comment.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I just worry about my computer, it has a good amount of disk space but there are 17 DVDs I need to rip. Now, mind the 50 GB was for one entire DVD, but I'm not getting a new computer for another year and I don't want this one to die on me for taking up too much memory with video files.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

If you're worried about hard drive space, clip. If you don't want to clip, the price for hard drives has dropped significantly in the past year or so. You can get 500GB HDDs for around $100 now.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Well I'm going to have to do something, because my harddrive has a capacity of 142 GB, and I'm currently using about half of that. That's why I freaked out so badly when the DVD took up 50 GB of space; if had been 20 GB larger, it would have killed my computer.

So there are no codecs that will get the files to a reasonable size without destroying the quality?
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

There are ways to work around clipping that are buggy as all hell and work with Premiere only. Clipping is one of the best ways to go as it forces you to plan out what you're doing from square 1. If you do want to just dump entire DVDs to disc though... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822145137
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

One last question, just to see if I can save myself some aggravation. Virtualdub seems to allow existing .avi files to be loaded into it, so is there a manner in which I can deinterlace and de-pixelate my existing .avi files without reripping the DVDs? It has those options, but I'm clueless at what settings to put it on before I save.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Chaobunny]One last question, just to see if I can save myself some aggravation. Virtualdub seems to allow existing .avi files to be loaded into it, so is there a manner in which I can deinterlace and de-pixelate my existing .avi files without reripping the DVDs? It has those options, but I'm clueless at what settings to put it on before I save.[/quote]

You could, in theory, but it's wholly dependent on the source, how the video's encoded, that sort of thing. So basically lots of trial by error.
JReckers
AB Staff

Post by JReckers »

I want to interject here about disc space.

When your computer writes data to the disc, it's in no way hurting the disc in any way. The actual read/write mechanism doesn't really age, per se. 99% of the time when a hard disc fails it's because of the motor turning it wears out.

That being said, it's not like huge files actually harm your computer in any way (your c:/ drive is constantly spinning, anyway.)

I suppose if you inadvertently spin up an additional drive by 'accidentally' saving to it, you could theoretically "damage" the drive - but again, that's just from the motor spinning the platters.

As a final note on this, even if you tried to write a 500gb file to a 100gb drive, it wouldn't kill your computer at all - it just gives you a "Not enough disc space" error, and stops writing the file.

Even when you "delete" the 50gb video, the data is still on the drive. Windows simply marks that space on the platter as unused, and will overwrite the video when you need the space for something else. Point being, saving (or attempting to save) huge files to your computer doesn't really damage anything, and there is ~0 risk involved in doing so.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Thanks for the info.

For the moment I'm ripping the DVDs, making the .d2v files, and then deleting the original DVD files to save disk space. I'm trying to keep at least a little free disk space on my computer. I'm also clipping out the scenes I need. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to buy a larger hard drive, because it's more convenient to clip from the actual episode while I'm making the AMV.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Chaobunny]Thanks for the info.

For the moment I'm ripping the DVDs, making the .d2v files, and then deleting the original DVD files to save disk space. I'm trying to keep at least a little free disk space on my computer. I'm also clipping out the scenes I need. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to buy a larger hard drive, because it's more convenient to clip from the actual episode while I'm making the AMV.[/quote]

This makes no sense, you need the original VOBs and the d2v to actually access the footage.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Chaobunny]Thanks for the info.

For the moment I'm ripping the DVDs, making the .d2v files, and then deleting the original DVD files to save disk space. I'm trying to keep at least a little free disk space on my computer. I'm also clipping out the scenes I need. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to buy a larger hard drive, because it's more convenient to clip from the actual episode while I'm making the AMV.[/quote]
Oh god, please tell me you're making avis out of those .d2vs?
The .d2v is only like.... a neon sign pointing to the VOB. The avs points to the d2v, the d2v points to the vob. If you delete the VOB files and all you have are .d2vs and AVS files, you're not going to have anything except signs pointing to an empty box. ><
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Yes, I'm making .avis out of the clips I need before I delete the .VOBS. I'm keeping the .d2v files. And it doesn't take very long to run DVD Decrypter in case I ever need the VOBs again.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=Chaobunny]Yes, I'm making .avis out of the clips I need before I delete the .VOBS. I'm keeping the .d2v files. And it doesn't take very long to run DVD Decrypter in case I ever need the VOBs again. [/quote]

Except that if you rip the VOBs again you need to make a new d2v file and such anyway, since it's pretty much byte-specific. So as long as your clips don't have any problems and you have enough of them you should be fine, it's getting there that's the hard part.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I wouldn't be deleting the stuff if I didn't have to; I really don't have enough disk space to hold on to it all xD I'm doing what I can with the hard drive that I have. I'm trying to get all the clips that I need for the AMV I'm making into .avis, so that I most likely won't ever need the DVD files again.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Chaobunny]I wouldn't be deleting the stuff if I didn't have to; I really don't have enough disk space to hold on to it all xD I'm doing what I can with the hard drive that I have. I'm trying to get all the clips that I need for the AMV I'm making into .avis, so that I most likely won't ever need the DVD files again.[/quote]
Heh. dokool's point is that if you're deleting the vobs you might as well delete the .d2vs and save yourself a bit more space there, too.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."