AMV suggestion

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
lina_inverse
Expert Poster

AMV suggestion

Post by lina_inverse »

i have a suggestion for next year or you can do it the year also.

The suggestion is have the AMVs that didn;t make the finals have a litlle conest in athe vidoes room have the Fans vote and the FAN FAVORITE will bee shown with the other finalist.

The Catorie will be FAN FAVORITE.
What do you think?
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

AMV suggestion

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=lina_inverse]i have a suggestion for next year or you can do it the year also.

The suggestion is have the AMVs that didn;t make the finals have a litlle conest in athe vidoes room have the Fans vote and the FAN FAVORITE will bee shown with the other finalist.

The Catorie will be FAN FAVORITE.
What do you think?[/quote]
As nice of an idea as it is, I doubt Adam & co. would have enough time to add up MORE ballots. Fan favorite is kinda what the "Best in Show" award is for anyway.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
dokool
Feeds off your tears

AMV suggestion

Post by dokool »

This is a silly and unworkable idea for a number of reasons, some of which kiarrens has mentioned already but I'll list because I feel like shattering some dreams:

-Nobody is going to want to sit through all of Overflow (I'm guessing 6+ hours) and vote for just one video.
-AB is not going to block out that much time in a screening room
-Staff have more important things to do than to count up that many ballots and tabulate that many entries
-"Fan Favorite of Videos That Didn't Make The Final Cut" looks pretty silly when played next to "Fan Favorite that Did Make The Cut And Was Seen By 20x As Many People."

Yes, it sucks that your video, that you probably put a lot of effort into, did not make the cut. You are in the same boat with other editors who have made videos that didn't make the cut, some of which are probably better than yours, some of which are probably worse than yours. You will get screened in the overflow and have something resembling an audience, and that's more than you'll get at many other cons. This is not the Special Olympics, we do not all get gold medals for doing a good job or else AB's budget would run dry before they even minted the awards for all of the cosplayers.

And yeah, the above makes it sound like contests are Serious Business, but, really, we're all slapping together someone else's anime to someone else's music, how serious can we be about this? If you are that upset that your video didn't make the finals that you're suggesting creating another award category specifically to give it another chance, you're participating in the hobby for the wrong reasons. Enjoy what you create, try submitting your videos to smaller conventions if you want to see them get onto ballots (I know Bakuretsucon, Another Anime Con, PortConMaine, etc are always looking for entries), and don't stress about it too much in the end.
JReckers
AB Staff

AMV suggestion

Post by JReckers »

...additionally, I'd bet you $50 that if you took all of the videos that were submitted and had everybody screen them, and everybody voted for one, that the winner of this fantastical category would be one of the 30 in the finals anyway.

So if you vote only for the videos not in the finals, the very category of 'fan favorite' is misleading.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
LadyInuyasha
Getting the hang of this...

AMV suggestion

Post by LadyInuyasha »

[color:red]I've a suggestion for the AMV's, show them more often. I saddly missed the first screening on friday, then after a long night of cosplaying fun I had to wake up uber early (for me) to catch the last screening of the complete AMV line up. The AMV's are awesome and in my opinion worth getting a couple more chances to see before and after the winners are announced. [/color]

"Because there is no life without a little fun!"
Cosplaying Inuyasha, Inu-Papa and Sun Ce - DW5.
Anime Boston 2005-2013!
Connecticon 2004-2013!

dokool
Feeds off your tears

AMV suggestion

Post by dokool »

[quote=LadyInuyasha][color:red]I've a suggestion for the AMV's, show them more often. I saddly missed the first screening on friday, then after a long night of cosplaying fun I had to wake up uber early (for me) to catch the last screening of the complete AMV line up. The AMV's are awesome and in my opinion worth getting a couple more chances to see before and after the winners are announced. [/color][/quote]

Probably going to happen, we already had to QQ enough to get a screening that wasn't at 8AM, nevermind a 3rd screening of a contest (which I suppose if they really wanted to do they could shove into some panel room on Sunday to kill time since Lou was complaining about a lack of panels then).