Using Japanese audio

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Hinano
Experienced Poster

Using Japanese audio

Post by Hinano »

I had emailed the head of the AMV contest about this but maybe it's been asked before and someone can answer this for me. (Also I'm afraid I may have accidentally deleted their response because I get so much spam in my inbox T_T)

Anyway...I have an AMV I made but at the beginning I have a couple seconds of raw footage from the anime which includes the Japanese audio. The thing is, the scene contains a joke which is like an intro to the amv. I wanted to add subtitles (myself btw) or some kind of fake speech bubbles to help the audience understand what is being said since not everyone knows Japanese.

However if I add something like my own subtitles it may "look like" a fansub even though it's not. Does this count as illegal footage according to contest rules? I mean I could leave the subtitles out but not everyone would get the joke. I really want to enter this video but I'd hate to take out the funny intro for it.

Anyone have suggestions or know for sure what's allowed? :(
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Using Japanese audio

Post by basharoftheages »

Kiarrens has done it twice. Atonement (2005) and Roydor (2007). Sources point to yes.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Using Japanese audio

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]Kiarrens has done it twice. Atonement (2005) and Roydor (2007). Sources point to yes.[/quote]

:thumbup: You should be fine.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Hinano
Experienced Poster

Using Japanese audio

Post by Hinano »

Awesome deal thanks for the response guys! :D