Suggestions for Editing Software?

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
saffieb
Veteran Poster

Suggestions for Editing Software?

Post by saffieb »

Hi!

I’m getting back into AMV creating after a small hiatus, and I need to update my software. I’ve been using Vegas 14 Pro, but the preview screen keeps lagging no matter what I do. So I think I need a change.

My budget would probably be $200 on the high end, but I’d like to stay below that. All suggestions are appreciated 💜

(Unless you can tell me how to fix the lag- that would be fantastic!)
AB 2024- Celebi (Pokémon)
AB 2022- Boris Airay (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Re: Suggestions for Editing Software?

Post by basharoftheages »

If you're comfortable with Vegas, it looks like they're up to version 21 now. Maybe try one of the newer releases?
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Re: Suggestions for Editing Software?

Post by LantisEscudo »

Newer versions of Vegas may be your best option, but a lot is going to depend on your computer as well. If you don't have a decent processor, a fast storage drive, and a good amount of RAM, video editing is going to lag no matter what program you use.

If you want to change from Vegas, Davinci Resolve has a free option. Most of the features in the paid version aren't ones you'd need for editing AMVs, but it's also not the easiest program to learn, and has a number of technical quirks you'd need to be comfortable working around.

Kdenlive is also free (and open source), but its feature set lags behind the other options a bit and the UI also takes some getting used to.

Adobe is out of your budget, so I won't say any more about it here.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects