Gore factor.

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by Sayoria »

I know violence is allowed, but things like Higrashi, Elfen Lied, Apocolypse Zero...etc, that is NOT allowed, correct? I am looking at something interesting here, and I don't want to be disqualified for going out of a boundary that I didn't know we had. I know the con is family oriented, so I don't think it is allowed, but a double-checking is not anything I think could cause any harm. I know Underwear shots were allowed, so I have to ask it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Gore factor.

Post by kiarrens »

If you'd consider it PG-13, it'd be allowed.
R, probably not. If the entire video is gore and blood splattering all over everything and people's heads exploding.... yeah, it might be disqualified.
A little occasional violence is within the bounds of reason though.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Sayoria
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by Sayoria »

Well, yea, i was only going to possibly use it for just maybe a five to ten second scene, but even so, it will be bloody, and I don't know if that would throw me out. Best playing on the safe side, and I won't add it in unless I am told i am all set to use it then.
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by LantisEscudo »

Don't forget, there is the "anything goes" contest this year, too. Gore past PG-13's no go for the main contest, but is fair game for the other.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Sayoria
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by Sayoria »

Well, I only have one or two anime of a few i am using, and that is the only scene with any bit of gore used in it. I don't think I would throw it into the 18+ category for that.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Gore factor.

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]Well, I only have one or two anime of a few i am using, and that is the only scene with any bit of gore used in it. I don't think I would throw it into the 18+ category for that.[/quote]
I was a little iffy on submitting Atonement for the same reasons, and they allowed that in... if your gore isn't as bad as that (Envy's throat getting slit open, arms and legs getting ripped off, Lust getting a dagger to the forehead, plus you-know-who getting stabbed through the chest and lying in a puddle of blood) you should be fine.
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Sayoria
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by Sayoria »

Tell me, have you seen Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni? That is the extreme of the blood and stuff. The show is basically about some girl going on a murder spree laughing herself insane. Trust me, Higurashi is worst than the FMA ones, and the thought of ripping off fingernails as an example of the kind of stuff they have in it....yea, It is too borderline I would say. :S.... (Note though, the fingernail scene is not the one I would be using.)
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Gore factor.

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]the thought of ripping off fingernails as an example of the kind of stuff they have in it....[/quote]
*shudder*
Eek. That's pretty horrible sounding. I haven't seen this anime yet... perhaps it's one to avoid. :D
Lyndsey Luther
Attendee 2003 - 2009

ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Gore factor.

Post by ShadowWolf »

Gruesome, no? I don't know how, per se, you'd do that, but I'm not sure I'd want to see...

General rule of thumb, think if this is suitable to for anyone to see.

Good portion of anime is NC-17, but we can't really help that, can we?
Sayoria
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by Sayoria »

Haha, yea, quite a few of my friends are avoiding that one. Like I said though, I am probably just going to drop it. That stuff is a bit too cringing, and even though it is borderline 18+ and not, I think it might be best not to put it in after all. Oh well.

Seems Adam has been pretty absent lately too.
JReckers
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by JReckers »

All I can suggest is to know your audience. Some people have undoubtedly seen what you're showing (or worse.) And, as long as it's in context, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

As a guide: Dark, evil, bloody is ok - but if you yourself would be offended or upset at watching it (more than just a creepy feeling) then it's probably best to pass. Or submit to the "everything goes" event.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
Sayoria
AB Staff

Gore factor.

Post by Sayoria »

Oh, I wouldn't have got into the series as much as I did, nor would I probably use it if the series offended me. I just don't think some of the audience would like seeing severed limbs with blood everywhere or anything. Haha.
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Gore factor.

Post by ShadowWolf »

Not really always a question of "if it offends you", more like if it offends a general audience.

When in doubt, ask your mom (or a mom with young kids)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Gore factor.

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=ShadowWolf]Not really always a question of "if it offends you", more like if it offends a general audience.

When in doubt, ask your mom (or a mom with young kids)[/quote]
According to the rules PG13 guidelines of today are the standard actually. And those are rather more lenient than a responsible parent of young children. In fact, World Trade Center - the 9/11 movie with Nicolas Cage - was rated PG13 and it depicted quite a bit of gore and violence as well as several choice words. (I had to watch it for a class recently - hence the reference)
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
ShadowWolf
Committed Poster

Gore factor.

Post by ShadowWolf »

Standards are very odd. I generally think with an old mind, so that's probably why. Lot of things I think children are exposed to nowadays that I think isn't very tame.