AMV and Fan Creations Feedback Thread

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

AMV and Fan Creations Feedback Thread

Post by LantisEscudo »

Thank you, everyone that came to any of the AMV or Fan Creations Room events this weekend.

We're always looking for ways to improve what we do, so if you have any praise or things we can do better, please let us know in this thread.

We had a great time running a full weekend of content for all of you, and we're already thinking about next year. Can't wait to see you all next year!
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
hamstar138
AB Staff

Re: AMV and Fan Creations Feedback Thread

Post by hamstar138 »

You guys did an amazing job throughout the weekend. The new location was huge and it was nice to have more people come to our panels.

The room clears helped, it caused less traffic and allowed those who waited for the panels to come in and be sure to get a seat. I hope we can do this again next year.
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

The AMV's were AWESOME, but I have one big thing to point out.

In the official ballot to vote for the best AMV's, two of the categories got switched in terms of matching it up with the official list of AMV's (One was comedy, the other was upbeat). Not a big deal, but if you weren't paying attention, you may have voted for a different AMV that you wanted to win in terms of those two categories. It threw me off at first when I saw the list of comedy videos on the bottom of the flyer they handed out, but then I had to vote for it on the very top part of the ballot itself.
Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

coolforever wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 pm The AMV's were AWESOME, but I have one big thing to point out.

In the official ballot to vote for the best AMV's, two of the categories got switched in terms of matching it up with the official list of AMV's (One was comedy, the other was upbeat). Not a big deal, but if you weren't paying attention, you may have voted for a different AMV that you wanted to win in terms of those two categories. It threw me off at first when I saw the list of comedy videos on the bottom of the flyer they handed out, but then I had to vote for it on the very top part of the ballot itself.
The switch was because of the category order change last year. We changed it back for the lower portion, but missed the upper when we made the master ballot files this year.

There was an announcement from stage at the end of both showings and the beginning of the Saturday showing, so if you came in late and left early, you may have missed it.

We'll do a better job of proofreading next year, I promise.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
infjeff
Experienced Poster

Post by infjeff »

The AMV Contest is always my favorite part of Anime Boston, and this year's big winner blew me away! Can't wait for it to be put up online.

I'm also a big fan of the Fan Creations room. It's my go-to place to hang out if I have some downtime between panels and events. I was told the playlists of the various blocks would be posted here on the forums. (I'm especially interested in the Ecchi AMV list)
PieandBeer
Getting the hang of this...

Post by PieandBeer »

I thought the contest was very strong compared to previous years. One of the things I really appreciated was Other videos being actual other videos and not trailer/comedy 2.0. the trailer category was well received by all the non-editors i spoke to, who said it was one of the stronger categories. I was a bit disappointed that all 5 yuri on ice videos were comedic despite the show having pretty serious themes, but I enjoyed the videos that got in.

quoting from another thread to keep this all in one place:
Allisonata wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:06 pm I've been watching the AMV contest since 2008. It has been a great highlight of my convention every year and I appreciate the staff for always running an overall, great show.

Now I have one recommendation. See, I myself have been viewing the romance category as mildly to not-much-at-all "romance".... From what I gather, Romance has withered down to mostly sentimental and/or comedy videos. The last video I have seen that even pleased me in this category was AimoAio's "Enchanted" video in 2012 set to Kimi Ni Todoke. The level of love and romance set into this was just.... amazing. I fell in love with the video.

As the years went by however, I've not seen a romance video that felt like an honest-to-good romance video. Everything at best seemed borderline to me, and this year's showing was the same old for me.

With that being said, many anime contests mix sentimental with romance. Why doesn't Anime Boston have sentimental mixed in with romance "legally" by list?.... I wouldn't have an issue with the category if sentimental was actually officially part of what I am voting on but it's not.

I don't vote by what I exactly "like" but what I feel fits the category best. Since 2012, I have never voted on a single romance AMV because I don't feel like they are matching it. I vote for action based on what is the best "action"..... I vote on drama based on what the best "drama" is. I vote on comedy based on whatever video(s) can actually make me laugh.... but it's hard to vote romance if I cannot see romance in these videos.

TL;DR: ... Why doesn't AB just push sentimental and romance together?
I agree 1000%

It's an issue for editors too, as most larger cons have sentimental and romance together. it puts us into a hard position if we have both a sentimental and drama video to enter. or if we have an upbeat sentimental, it is forced to compete against upbeat/dance style videos when the main focus of the video is the feelings. it just feels so weird to be like "oh well this is family love so it should go in drama not romance" yknow. While it makes AB's romance and drama categories different from most bigger cons, which is cool, i think it def waters down what these categories usually represent. i'm mainly a sentimental editor though so it probably isn't too big an issue for most editors ;)

The Fan Creations room was A+ great though. I found myself in that room more times than I would like to admit and it always had a decent crowd in it.
Olson34
AB Staff

Post by Olson34 »

infjeff wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm I'm also a big fan of the Fan Creations room. It's my go-to place to hang out if I have some downtime between panels and events. I was told the playlists of the various blocks would be posted here on the forums. (I'm especially interested in the Ecchi AMV list)
Infjeff, as we are winding down this week we will be getting to all the feed back. I'm sure as soon as drewaconclusion sees this he will put a response to what was in his blocks . This was Drews first year doing this block and he was intrested to see what the feedback was.

I really appreciate the feed back on the fans creation room as this was our 4th year doing it. It's always a uplifting thing to see people still like our content and what we are doing in the room. We are always open to idea's people have on what they would like to see or what they were not intrested in.

Thanks again
Kenneth Olson
Staffing Anime Boston since 2010
Fan Creations Manager 2014-2018
Fan Creations Staff 2019-2024
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

Post by drewaconclusion »

infjeff wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm I was told the playlists of the various blocks would be posted here on the forums. (I'm especially interested in the Ecchi AMV list)
I'm in the process of posting my playlists from this year. The Fanservice & Ecchi AMV playlist is up here.
Best Editing 2019 - Pachyderm Panic
Romance Finalist 2018 - D'awwww Wagon
Trailer Finalist 2016 - Xenomorph
Comedy Finalist 2015 - Rainbow Stalin Saves the World
Upbeat Finalist 2015 - My Nipples Can Pierce the Heavens
infjeff
Experienced Poster

Post by infjeff »

drewaconclusion wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:46 am
infjeff wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm I was told the playlists of the various blocks would be posted here on the forums. (I'm especially interested in the Ecchi AMV list)
I'm in the process of posting my playlists from this year. The Fanservice & Ecchi AMV playlist is up here.
Thanks! :D