AMV video format

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Strassboom
Getting the hang of this...

AMV video format

Post by Strassboom »

Hey there,

Quick question about the format of our videos. Is it alright if the output is 30 or 60 frames? And will the audio/video synch or audio quality be affected when we convert the video to your format with the tool provided on your AMV programming page?

Thanks in advance!
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Re: AMV video format

Post by LantisEscudo »

Our playback system can handle a wide variety of frame rates; the frame rates in the suggested technical specs are just standard ones that we've found work very well.

The tool will not change the resolution or frame rate of the video file you provide to it. However, if your video is already small enough to upload through the form (<1000 MB), you don't need to reencode it with the tool, especially if you've already encoded it with a lossy compression method (which will reduce the video quality).
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Strassboom
Getting the hang of this...

Videoscaling

Post by Strassboom »

If I am using footage from an older tv series and a film, and they have different aspect ratios i.e. 4:3 and 16:9, am I allowed to zoom in on one to compensate so long as theirs no noticeable loss in quality, or do all clips have to be at their normal aspect ratio? I don't wanna have to worry about black bars. Also would be allowed to do this to hide watermarks? Thanks in advance!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Re: AMV video format

Post by basharoftheages »

The video quality rules are concerned with the final product you produce. Nobody cares how you get there.

That said, creating a (good, properly filtered, correct AR)* upscale of 4:3 footage to your target width during your footage prep step and panning it as needed is the generally accepted way to combine 4:3 and 16:9 sources.

*: A simple resize of SD, 4:3 footage to HD resolutions by itself is not going to look good.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)