AB 2016 AMV Contest/Fan Works Room Feedback

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Olson34
AB Staff

AB 2016 AMV Contest/Fan Works Room Feedback

Post by Olson34 »

I just wanted to start off by thanking everyone who came both to the amv contest and the Fan works room this year. lantis(Mike) can say more on the amv contest, but for me fan works went great.

We took a step forward this year in the fan works room in 311.We were able to incorporate new amv blocks, between two great editors providing content. We had another great year for both programs. However, we always want to be looking forward.

With that said we want to know what did everyone like this year? what things could be improved upon? Anything you would like to see again or would like to see next year, let us know. Any feedback on the amv contest or any questions you have?
Kenneth Olson
Staffing Anime Boston since 2010
Fan Creations Manager 2014-2018
Fan Creations Staff 2019-2024
Pint_Sized25
Expert Poster

Re: AB 2016 AMV Contest/Fan Works Room Feedback

Post by Pint_Sized25 »

I'm curious if you guys ever held a horror category before, or is it not worth it because of younger people attending the AMV contest? Where more of the gorier and creepier animes could be showed (i.e Hellsing, Another, Future Diary if it were done scarier, etc)

It was a great contest though. Sadly mine were in the overflow section but it wont stop me from trying out again next year! I was happy my choices were picked as winners for some of the categories though. The Dandy one picked for Upbeat was amazing
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

There's never been a category in the contest for horror, but we did have 2 seperate horror / gore blocks in the Fan Track this year.

Just to be clear (if people were not aware) the blocks of AMVs shown in the Fan Track that aren't labeled as "Overflow" are curated blocks run by staff and panelists. Occasionally videos will make it into those lists that were submitted into the contest but didn't make finals - that's because we really like those videos.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

I had a blast hosting my panels and hanging out in the Fan Works room.

My main issue was there wasn't a lot of time for panels in-between and for room clears. I know I had to cut some videos or it was hard to keep on track while getting people in and out of the room for popular panels, like WTF, Disney, Comedy, etc etc. So having room clears between panels would be nice that way we can show all the content we plan for the panel or well, it feels less disorganize because trying to talk while people enter is incredibly difficult.

Also I know for my Disney panel there was an issue for the door and security. They were no where to be scene while I was trying to manage people and saying there were extra seats (and finding my friends who wanted to come to the panel, sadly two got kicked out without my knowledge until after AB.
:( ) So just having security even around the area for the panels would be nice, that way it doesn't get too crazy.

It'll be cool if we got a bigger room so we can fit even more people.
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
Olson34
AB Staff

Post by Olson34 »

For next year I will be scheduling more time between the panel amv blocks and the fan parodies. It was something I didn't take into consideration this year. We had security come up and ask to clear the room or that we had a line outside that i didn't know about. I am very sorry that different things had to be cut from your panel and i take full responsibility for that. Along with the feed back panel I was told that the room had kind of a funk to it. For the coming years I will be putting in somer buffers so that things like hamstar mentioned don't happen again.

I really appreciated all the different editors this year to contributing panels to the room, and helping to bring a different vibe then we had in years previous. These editors include Hamstar, drewaconclusion, and Basharoftheages. With out these individuals we wouldn't have had all the great panels and amv blocks we had. I greatly appreciate everything that was contributed to 311 and fan works this year. I hope to continue having these editors come back next year.
Kenneth Olson
Staffing Anime Boston since 2010
Fan Creations Manager 2014-2018
Fan Creations Staff 2019-2024
Sakura-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sakura-chan »

I think you guys did a great job this year, the AMV contest was stellar. I also really enjoyed the Disney/Anime AMVs, that was so cute and fun, I hope you guys have that again next year!
'06: Sakura (Naruto)
'07: Sakura (Naruto)
'09: Hungary (Hetalia)
'13: Euphemia (Code Geass, for the Spirit Ball!), Rachel Alucard (Blazblue)
'16: Saber EXTRA (Fate/EXTRA), Rose Quartz (SU)