Rules on Lyrics

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
saffieb
Veteran Poster

Rules on Lyrics

Post by saffieb »

I already have an idea for my next AMV (for once I'm going to start early!!)! Question: the rules require it to be PG-13, so little violence and no nudity, but how does that affect lyrics? The song I want to use has F*** in it once and the word A** is repeated a few times. Is that appropriate? Or should I try to find a clean version of the song?
AB 2024- Celebi (Pokémon)
AB 2022- Boris Airay (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
Luscia
Experienced Poster

Re: Rules on Lyrics

Post by Luscia »

I would actually go for the clean version. I wouldn't imagine ass being said once or twice not being a big deal, but the F word more than certainly would be, even if it is only once.
Anime Boston 2014 Drama Entry-Sealing My Fate
Anime Boston 2015 Drama Entry- Living Legacy, Romance Entry- Love is Love
Anime Boston 2016 Fun/Comedy Entry-1000 Provisions, Action Entry- Badass Freakin Overlords, Dood!
Anime Boston 2017 Other Entry- We Remember Legends
Anime Boston 2018 Roance Entry- Don't Take Your Eyes off Me
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Actually, PG13 guidelines allows for 1 f-bomb in a non-sexual context.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Dragonrider1227
Expert Poster

Post by Dragonrider1227 »

I'm just paranoid enough that I'd suggest finding a clean version anyway. Or see if you can sort of edit it out yourself
Drama Finalist 2015 A Boy In Funny Red Boots
Fun/Comedy Finalist 2019 The Hero We Need
saffieb
Veteran Poster

Post by saffieb »

Hi! I've got another question...it's similar to this one, so I decided to tack it on to this subject instead of opening a new thread.

I want to make a trailer for an anime movie, but the rules say that any dialogue taken from an anime can't be dubbed. Do I have to subtitle the video, or can there be an exception in such a case?
AB 2024- Celebi (Pokémon)
AB 2022- Boris Airay (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

Sorry I totally missed your second question.

If the audio you're using is the official English trailer for the movie, that would be allowed, but if you're editing the audio together, dubbed audio would not be allowed. You could subtitle it, or you could record your own dialogue, though.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Pint_Sized25
Expert Poster

Post by Pint_Sized25 »

I have a similar question to the one above. Thought it'd be better to ask here than opening another thread as well.
I am almost done with my AMV but I just realized one of the clips has a minor subtitle similar to this:
Would something like this disqualify us since it's technically a subtitle but not really? I can remove the clip but it's fitting for my video so if I'm able to leave it, that'd be awesome.
keiichiface
Getting the hang of this...

Post by keiichiface »

Pint_Sized25 wrote:I have a similar question to the one above. Thought it'd be better to ask here than opening another thread as well.
I am almost done with my AMV but I just realized one of the clips has a minor subtitle similar to this:
Would something like this disqualify us since it's technically a subtitle but not really? I can remove the clip but it's fitting for my video so if I'm able to leave it, that'd be awesome.
If that's from a fansub--which it kind of looks like, but it's been so long since I've watched Ouran that I can't be sure--then definitely don't include it. The con can't endorse fansubs of any kind.

Something you could do instead is edit out the text (including the kanji) entirely, and create your own text for the scene. That's up to your discretion. I'm sure you can browse various AMV-related forums for help if you don't know how to do that! Hope this helps!
Every Day is a Festival!! (Anime Boston 2013 Upbeat Finalist)
Bleeding Heart Effect (Anime Boston 2015 BiS)

Cosplays for 2015:
Homucifer - Madoka Magica: Rebellion
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

Hello. I know the kanji from Ouran is in the show no matter what but the words above that i can guarantee is from a fan-subb. Do not include it.
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu