posting online before the contest

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Dragonrider1227
Veteran Poster

posting online before the contest

Post by Dragonrider1227 »

My immediate belief was that AMV contests frowned on posting AMVs online like on youtube or AMV.org before they play at the convention. However, I discovered the winner of this year's best drama was posted on youtube and it states "uploaded December 2013" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21yChQn1IIM I've also seen others post on AMV.org to ask for feedback before sending to a convention. So I got to ask, what is Anime Boston's stand on this?
Drama Finalist 2015 A Boy In Funny Red Boots
Fun/Comedy Finalist 2019 The Hero We Need
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Re: posting online before the contest

Post by LantisEscudo »

There is a "freshness" rule where the video can't have been released to the public before a certain date, which has been two years before the upcoming contest in the most recent rules. Other than that, there have been no restrictions on timing or venue for releasing videos publicly before or after the convention.

Some editors edit new videos for AB and want the con audience to be the first to see it, so they don't release publicly before the convention. Others send videos that have been to other contests before AB, and some of them release their videos online before AB rolls around. There's been no rule at AB against any of those options.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Dragonrider1227
Veteran Poster

Re: posting online before the contest

Post by Dragonrider1227 »

Yeah, I wanted to do the same thing but became concerned about my video and wanted some input from experienced AMV editors since though this isn't my first AMV, this is my very first time competing with one so I wanted to make sure what the guidelines on this was. Thanks :)
Drama Finalist 2015 A Boy In Funny Red Boots
Fun/Comedy Finalist 2019 The Hero We Need