Frame rate and video format requirements

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
Dragonrider1227
Expert Poster

Frame rate and video format requirements

Post by Dragonrider1227 »

I ran into a contradicting issue. The rules state the frame rate must be 23.976 and the video format NTSC. But according to others I've talked to and what I've read the standard frame rate for NTSC is 29.97 and and when it's 23.976, that makes the video format IVTC film.
How do I make this work?
Drama Finalist 2015 A Boy In Funny Red Boots
Fun/Comedy Finalist 2019 The Hero We Need
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Re: Frame rate and video format requirements

Post by LantisEscudo »

The rules you're looking at are for this past year; next year's rules haven't been finalized yet, and likely won't be until late fall at the earliest.

That said, the technical specs listed are recommendations, and the frame rate/video format pair are asking for North American formats as opposed to European formats.

"NTSC" in this case is being used as a shorthand for "all compatible North American frame rates and resolutions." While the playback system can handle a decent range of formats, including European ones, the projectors are still using NA specs, so anything else will get converted on the fly and may not look quite as good.

For the best resulting playback, 23.976 (or to be really pedantic 24000/1001) is the best frame rate to use.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Dragonrider1227
Expert Poster

I see. So these aren't requirements. Simply suggestions and guidelines for the best possible quality? It can be either NTSC or 23.976 but not both? That makes sense. It did say "guidelines" and not "requirements" didn't it? Sorry, I'm very new at this ^^;
I'm aware these are the rules for the previous contest but assumed next year's would be roughly the same.
Thanks very much for the info :)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

It's more like, the rules were initially written up almost 10 years ago at this point, before HD projection was a thing this convention (or any convention for that matter) had, and nobody thought it mattered enough when the rules were last gone over to bother clarifying or changing it.

"NTSC" in this context is being used to mean the traditional TV form of NTSC and NTSC FILM interchangeably.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Dragonrider1227
Expert Poster

OHHH! I see. Thank You :)
I'm no stranger to making AMVs but I've only made them for youtube. I am very very very new to doing this for a competition with rules, regulations, and guidelines so I'm working as hard as I can to understand as much as possible. But sometimes I come off as idiotic noob, I'm sure >>
sara736
I'm new!

Post by sara736 »

I think that's where I downloaded mine. I don't know what I did wrong but that seemed to do the trick. Thanks very much