So, just wondering...

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

So, just wondering...

Post by chaobunny »

Is there some sort of clause, disclaimer, or other nature of fine print in the AMV contest rules I missed that says that the rules can be entirely disregarded for exhibition videos? Or did I just miss the part where the rules don't apply to certain people? If I didn't know any better, I would call that hypocritical.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
enco404
Experienced Poster

Re: So, just wondering...

Post by enco404 »

seems vague, can you elaborate on what you are referring to?
AB 2012 - Leo: Fairy Tail
AB 2013 - Capricorn: Fairy Tail
AB2014 - Gemini: Fairy Tail
AB2014 - Virgo: Fairy Tail
AB2015 - Celty: Durarara!!
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Apparently the rules only apply to videos actually submitted to the contest.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Interesting. For some reason I was led to believe that the rules were universal to the convention...I think they had something to do with the convention name? I mean, to suggest otherwise implies that viewers of the contest might actually enjoy similar animated media which I know is ridiculous to even suggest and would completely ruin the contest.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
Elder_God
AB Alumni

Post by Elder_God »

I have always reserved the right to show videos that I deem funny or worthwhile or particularly topical as exibition. But they are not allowed to compete in the contest.

So if you have a great video that you want me to show as an exibition, all you have to do is ask me.
Adam Ferraro
Anime Boston 2012 Music Video Contest Coordinator
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

If I'm reading this correctly... I was assuming the video in question was a parody of the action winner from last year's contest and thus had a good reason to be shown at the beginning. I know the year before the same thing also happened (though the video was shown at the end of the contest), so I figured it was a "thing" now. :x That's my take on it anyway.

edit: I know there were two exhibition videos shown, but I can't remember the first one, only the second one shown. >_>
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
thetoddfather
AB Staff

Post by thetoddfather »

Cave wrote:
edit: I know there were two exhibition videos shown, but I can't remember the first one, only the second one shown. >_>
I had the 'first' video which was the frozen song parody. see the other thread with winners for a link if needed
Todd Whitney
The ToddFather

Industry Content Coordinator
Programing Opperations Manager - 2023
Convention Digital Signage coordinator - 2016 - 2022
Video Programming coordinator - 2016 - 2023
Convention Computer and Network Technical Operations 2011-2015

I make AMV's!?
2011 Finalist Romance
2014 Finalist - Action, Winner - Romance
2015 Winner - Romance
2016 Winner - Action
https://www.youtube.com/user/davenfonet
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Okay, snark aside: for the record I personally have nothing against MLP or the relevance of the video in question, which was very good. I was just very surprised to see a MLP video playing before the contest especially considering how AB is otherwise quite strict about anime only. In my personal opinion, if there are rules, they should apply to everything, not just some selective things. At the very least, showing a non-anime video before the contest is misleading to people watching the contest for the first time who might not realize the exhibition videos are non-competing, and who may mistakenly believe it is okay to enter similar videos in the future. But at most, considering the past hostility on these forums towards non-anime videos in general, I found it to be a bit of a slap in the face.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
Rider4Z
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Rider4Z »

The audience will know which videos are competing in the contest by reading the ballots. If they wish to enter similar videos to the contest in the future, they will have clarity when they read the rules thoroughly like they're supposed to.

Sorry for chiming in randomly, but from an outsider's perspective you merely sound bitter. You read "Contest" rules, correct? So why would you automatically assume it applies to the entire convention? I've never attended Anime Boston, but I would guess they play AMVs to entertain an audience. (Am I wrong?) I would understand a fuss over allowing a finalist that didn't adhere to the contest rules, but an exhibition video? Srsly? If a video has possible offensive material (like language, violence, sexuality or religious prejudice) then I agree a disclaimer should be made beforehand.

I coordinate two contests over here on the west coast AND present extra shows to include videos that don't fit inside the main contest rules. Why? Because they're entertaining. If you please the audience, then you'll be likely to have them return and demand more in the future. (Specifically about the video in question, as a viewer I find it very entertaining.)

This is just my two cents as a fellow coordinator. I don't find any fault from AB.
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

Rider4Z wrote:The audience will know which videos are competing in the contest by reading the ballots. If they wish to enter similar videos to the contest in the future, they will have clarity when they read the rules thoroughly like they're supposed to.

Sorry for chiming in randomly, but from an outsider's perspective you merely sound bitter. You read "Contest" rules, correct? So why would you automatically assume it applies to the entire convention? I've never attended Anime Boston, but I would guess they play AMVs to entertain an audience. (Am I wrong?) I would understand a fuss over allowing a finalist that didn't adhere to the contest rules, but an exhibition video? Srsly? If a video has possible offensive material (like language, violence, sexuality or religious prejudice) then I agree a disclaimer should be made beforehand.

I coordinate two contests over here on the west coast AND present extra shows to include videos that don't fit inside the main contest rules. Why? Because they're entertaining. If you please the audience, then you'll be likely to have them return and demand more in the future. (Specifically about the video in question, as a viewer I find it very entertaining.)

This is just my two cents as a fellow coordinator. I don't find any fault from AB.
For the record, I don't disagree with anything you just said, except for the fact that I do have reasons for assuming it applies to the entire convention, mainly because it does, and quite strictly, except for a few exceptions like this one. Hence the bitter flavor of the post, since exceptions of this type seem to be made quite selectively and arbitrarily at AB and it's something that is long overdue in being pointed out. I'm not asking for anything, I'm just making an observation, for whatever little that it's actually worth coming from me.
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

We have had quite a few AMAZING videos as exhibition pieces at AB, Several of Monty Om's (sp?) full animation bits were amazing to watch but didn't qualify for the contest proper, however they SHOULD be seen on a big screen with a good sound system behind it. That is why Adam and Mike leave a little room for some exhibition work.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
Rider4Z
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Rider4Z »

Aidan2 wrote:We have had quite a few AMAZING videos as exhibition pieces at AB, Several of Monty Om's (sp?) full animation bits were amazing to watch but didn't qualify for the contest proper, however they SHOULD be seen on a big screen with a good sound system behind it. That is why Adam and Mike leave a little room for some exhibition work.
OH man I remember those. The AX audience would demand more!