AMV screening?

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

AMV screening?

Post by RapaxGuardian »

I've never done this before, so forgive my newbie-ness! From my understanding, con attendees can vote on AMVs, and they're the ones to decide the winners shown at the Masque? Do I have to sign up to participate, or is there a block on the schedule where you go to the designated room, get the voting sheet, and watch the entries?
I assume there's a line, so it's first-come-first-serve, I shouldn't bother showing up if there is something else on my schedule for that time frame?

I'd love to participate in voting, but couldn't find any info about it!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Re: AMV screening?

Post by basharoftheages »

Voting happens at both screenings. One's on Friday evening/night, one's on Saturday morning. Both are large events that have been in Hall D for the past few years. They're rather large events that bring in a couple thousand people.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
JReckers
AB Staff

Post by JReckers »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Voting happens at both screenings. One's on Friday evening/night, one's on Saturday morning. Both are large events that have been in Hall D for the past few years. They're rather large events that bring in a couple thousand people.
This information is accurate. Both showings will, again, be in Hall D. Ballots are provided as you enter and collected as you leave, but please try to bring a pen or pencil. We will have some to hand out but with 2-3k people it always helps to bring your own!
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
RapaxGuardian
Obsessed Poster

Post by RapaxGuardian »

Thanks a bunch for the responses :D I'm hosting a panel Friday night, I might try to make the Friday screening.

I look forward to it!
AB '10: The Sorrow (MGS3)
AB '11: Vamp (MGS2)
AB '12: Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2) & Major Raikov (MGS3)
AB '13: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Meryl Silverburgh (MGS1) & Sae Kurosawa (Fatal Frame 2)
AB '14: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), Olga Gurlukovich(MGS2)
AB '15: The Ice Queen (Adventure Time), The Sorrow (MGS3), Callie Ohpeee (Homestuck)
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

RapaxGuardian wrote:Thanks a bunch for the responses :D I'm hosting a panel Friday night, I might try to make the Friday screening.

I look forward to it!
Also, there is usually a line (though I don't believe the room has been filled to capacity in recent years?) so if you want a really good seat you might want to show up early. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Kiarrens wrote:
RapaxGuardian wrote:Thanks a bunch for the responses :D I'm hosting a panel Friday night, I might try to make the Friday screening.

I look forward to it!
Also, there is usually a line (though I don't believe the room has been filled to capacity in recent years?) so if you want a really good seat you might want to show up early. :)
It's kinda a crapshoot if they force-fill rows though. Being right up front or on the far edge in a front row isn't a "good" seat. It's a close one, but you can't see for poopy and you crane your neck.
drewaconclusion
Expert Poster

Post by drewaconclusion »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Kiarrens wrote:

I look forward to it!
It's kinda a crapshoot if they force-fill rows though. Being right up front or on the far edge in a front row isn't a "good" seat. It's a close one, but you can't see for poopy and you crane your neck.
For poopy? What are we back in elementary school??
Best Editing 2019 - Pachyderm Panic
Romance Finalist 2018 - D'awwww Wagon
Trailer Finalist 2016 - Xenomorph
Comedy Finalist 2015 - Rainbow Stalin Saves the World
Upbeat Finalist 2015 - My Nipples Can Pierce the Heavens
lordofvt
AB Staff

Post by lordofvt »

If the lines look to be long enough we will do directed seating. This way we can fill every chair in the room, resulting in more people able to see the event.
Andrew Reckers
Schedule Coordinator 2021-2022
Director of Programming 2015-2020
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

@drew: cursed word filter.

@andy: seating prisoners' dilemma?
JReckers
AB Staff

Post by JReckers »

lordofvt wrote:If the lines look to be long enough we will do directed seating. This way we can fill every chair in the room, resulting in more people able to see the event.
This is also correct. We only direct seating at all if we are concerned that people will be unable to attend. In other words, if there is a very big line.
Jeff Reckers
Special Projects 2019
Elli21486
Obsessed Poster

Post by Elli21486 »

Never been to a screening where they had to direct seat people. Then again, I usually go on Saturday. If I remember, last year's Saturday screening was probably 60-75% capacity but that may have changed after it started. That is also my best guess at the time.
Past Conventions:
AB 2007-2009; 2011-2019, 2022

2023 Anime Boston Stats Debating

Creator of the Anime Boston Voter's Reaction vids. View them at Eri21486's Youtube Channel

Past Picture Galleries
2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017

Past Galleries Available If Asked