Leave the AMV's alone

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Leave the AMV's alone

Post by otakuforlife »

There is a lot I want to get off my chest and it's all related to AMV threads in this forum.
For some reason this year, people have been extremely active and critical of AMVs.
Here's a list of things I wanted to say no set order:

1) Leave the AMV prescreeners alone, they do a damn good job for all of us and sit through
hours of amvs.

2) Leave the BOS winner alone, it's true I didn't vote for it. However a system is never prefect and will
never make everyone happy.

3) Remember that the show is for audience and not the editors. I hate when people act snooty about
AMV's. Yes there's lots things we may not enjoy in videos but don't act like your opinion
is the only one that matters. Believe me this is hard even for me :)

4)All the video categories had two or more awesome AMV's in them that were hard to decide
between. It's not right to say any one category was really weak.
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
hamstar138
AB Staff

Re: Leave the AMV's alone

Post by hamstar138 »

I can agree upon those. Everyone has their own options of AMVs and thus treat them as options. Don't hate on things out of our control.
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
Warlike Swans
Expert Poster

Post by Warlike Swans »

I submit an AMV to a contest, I expect people to feel free to trash talk it.

I found it pretty funny when someone said they had a knee-jerk reaction to dislike Ploy, and I'm glad I got to read it.

It's one thing to remind people to keep it civil, but I think that since all of us were brave enough to enter a contest we should all be brave enough to face the (reasonably) genteel criticism that's followed.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Post by MeliChan »

This needed to be said. I've been glancing over the forums when I can get a chance and a lot of things things I've been reading have been so negative! :( I'm quoting this for further emphasis:
otakuforlife wrote: However a system is never perfect and will never make everyone happy.
It's the truth. Everyone of course prefers different videos. I'm sure every video there had at least one person rooting for it to win Best of Show.
My Anime Boston AMVs

2012: Editor's Choice Winner: Evil Island
2010 Best Other AMV Winner: A Walk To Remember
2009 Romance Finalist: Through Thick And Thin
2008 Romance Finalist: My Only Love
2007 Action Finalist: Forsaken

2013 Cosplay
Kotani Nobuko from Nobuta wo Produce
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

I'm glad you shared your opinion, I'd like to think it's all part of the big picture of why these forums are here...Discussion and the sharing of opinions is a good thing, particularly if something positive comes out of it. Different people have shared their different views on this year's contest, and underneath it all, I don't think that anything has been said that hasn't been said before. Next year could likely be the same, and the year after that. Maybe at some point people will get tired of saying the same things and just stop, but I kind of hope not. I'd personally rather see people interested and vocal about how they think things can be made better than scared/ashamed to share their thoughts or just totally apathetic. Yes, at some point this conversation can go over the cliff of ridiculousness, but within reason I think it's a worthwhile kind of discussion.

As Swans mentioned, I don't do this AMV contest thing (or just AMV thing, period) without being aware that it's not all peaches and roses. It's a hard pill to swallow, sometimes, but - for better or for worse - it has to be swallowed. :|
Last edited by DriftRoot on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Post by MeliChan »

^ That's a good way to look on the bright side. If we do see the same things year after year after year at the very least the forums are active and people care enough about the quality of the contest to be involved in a discussion. :) I remember posting a month or two ago in a thread about how awesome it is that the AMV part of the forums of Anime Boston are so active unlike a lot of other cons. There are reasons for that. These types of discussions being one of them. It is certainly hard to swallow though when people make threads like "____ didn't deserve _____ because of ____" because it's hard not to come off sounding insulting even if they didn't mean to. I will say I'm certainly more accepting of those said things now (when done in a friendly non-flaming manner that is) than I was when I first started to submit to contests because yes, I have seen similar patterns throughout the years on these forums. This year in particular though seems notably worse than it's ever been. At least some good sounding solutions have been arising already from some of the negativity.
My Anime Boston AMVs

2012: Editor's Choice Winner: Evil Island
2010 Best Other AMV Winner: A Walk To Remember
2009 Romance Finalist: Through Thick And Thin
2008 Romance Finalist: My Only Love
2007 Action Finalist: Forsaken

2013 Cosplay
Kotani Nobuko from Nobuta wo Produce
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

otakuforlife wrote: 2) Leave the BOS winner alone, it's true I didn't vote for it. However a system is never prefect and will
never make everyone happy.
the logic of "no system is perfect" doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. the current BOS system is as far from perfect as one could possibly be. the only way it could be worse would be if best of show was picked by drawing a number between 1 and 30 out of a hat. while no system is perfect, hopefully this one gets dropped and replaced with something a little closer (or more specifically, something that actually compares a video with videos outside of its own category). the current BoS system is inherently flawed
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

@ Meli's Comment: I have and have seen this year has been much worse with the hate comments since I have been part of this forum and of AB (since 2007). But I also heard some negative things with the AMVs that got into the finals this year. Everyone has their favorites and everyone has their dislikes but with who wins, wins. That is all we can do and all we can accept. I have AMVs I don't particularly like but I have to live with that they won or not. AMVs are a tricky thing and there is never a wrong nor right away to approach things like these. We as AMV makers can only take in stride what we make and only hope to improve upon what the last thing we made was. ;)
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
Elder_God
AB Alumni

Post by Elder_God »

DriftRoot wrote:I'm glad you shared your opinion, I'd like to think it's all part of the big picture of why these forums are here...Discussion and the sharing of opinions is a good thing, particularly if something positive comes out of it. Different people have shared their different views on this year's contest, and underneath it all, I don't think that anything has been said that hasn't been said before. Next year could likely be the same, and the year after that. Maybe at some point people will get tired of saying the same things and just stop, but I kind of hope not. I'd personally rather see people interested and vocal about how they think things can be made better than scared/ashamed to share their thoughts or just totally apathetic. Yes, at some point this conversation can go over the cliff of ridiculousness, but within reason I think it's a worthwhile kind of discussion.

As Swans mentioned, I don't do this AMV contest thing (or just AMV thing, period) without being aware that it's not all peaches and roses. It's a hard pill to swallow, sometimes, but - for better or for worse - it has to be swallowed. :|
I'm perfectly okay with the discussion that's occurred so far. I like people feeling comfortable enough to take an interest and state their opinions. And honestly, I've had the exact reverse feeling. I thought most comments were overwhelmingly positive and that there has been little negative criticism.
Adam Ferraro
Anime Boston 2012 Music Video Contest Coordinator
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Good words TC.

1: I agree. Hell, when I think about how 27 people spent 12 hours of their lives for the prescreening and how they are bothering to get a show made of these videos, I cannot help but see it with a good eye. I myself find it hard to sit through even one AMV sometimes. 12 hours....man, that must have hurt. How CAN'T you respect these guys?

2: I didn't vote for the winner either, but it was a good video, and a unique idea.....well, semi-unique. Alberto did exactly to Ponyo as he did to Totoro a few years ago. Amusing as heck, but not totally unique. Still a good video.

3: Yeah, I myself have criticism in some categories and such myself, but nothing is perfect, and there is always that issue. Like for example, I just don't see that P&S video as a romance video. I know how the creator was planning for it to be, but it just wasn't romantic. The other videos in the category were focusing too much on various couples opposed to one, so it got hard to follow anything with as well. Sort of made my vote for Romance super easy. The category as titled as "romance" was very weak IMO, being a romance fan.... but hey, it happens. Yes, I made a romance video too for the contest, but I would have been honored to lose to the video that did win this year. It was without a doubt better than mine. No spite. Completely true.

4: Like I said above, Romance. :p.... I didn't get to see Drama, so I have no input on that, but yeah, everything else I kinda-sorta had a tough pick with, for one reason or another.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

I didn't mean to sound like everyone was a bunch of meanies.I just wanted to
point out that this year has been very talkative and critical when it hasn't been before.
Not saying it's all bad, it's just worth pointing out and thinking about.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Well, the way I see it, people are either spiteful, or depressive when their videos don't make it in.....MOST of the time. There are some people that just brush it off. I myself, of course, get the depressive side for a little bit, but then brush it off pretty quickly when I don't make it. Some people just take it a bit too far, and just hate on the videos to make themselves feel good that they didn't get into the contest. This is what I believe. Is it immature? Sure... but is it impossible? Not at all.

I myself, have already been thinking on next years submission. I will not give up until I win something one year at AB. AB is my home con, and it means something to me. I will never be spiteful of others that make it in, but I will not give up until I atleast prove to myself I can do it. I have been a finalist a few times now so I know I can do it one year. I have never won, but I never lashed at other videos to get myself to feel better with not making it in.

In short though. the contest is competition. in EVERY competition, you are going to have those kind of people, there is just no looking around it sadly.
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote: 3: Yeah, I myself have criticism in some categories and such myself, but nothing is perfect, and there is always that issue. Like for example, I just don't see that P&S video as a romance video. I know how the creator was planning for it to be, but it just wasn't romantic. The other videos in the category were focusing too much on various couples opposed to one, so it got hard to follow anything with as well. Sort of made my vote for Romance super easy. The category as titled as "romance" was very weak IMO, being a romance fan.... but hey, it happens. Yes, I made a romance video too for the contest, but I would have been honored to lose to the video that did win this year. It was without a doubt better than mine. No spite. Completely true.
Romance needs to NOT have a Clannad video for once. That would make me happy. T_T

I would like to point out that Brian's (otakuforlife) video was in Romance, though no one has specifically pointed it out. :P It just didn't really stand out, I suppose.
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I will not give up until I win something one year at AB.
Just focus on getting into the contest, because winning is a lot harder. Poor Brian has submitted to so, so many contests and, outside of iron editor, has only one once. (His Highschool of the Dead video won horror at AAC).
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

This is not the parody thread the title led me to believe it was. :(
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:This is not the parody thread the title led me to believe it was. :(
You thought that too?
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

AliceTanzer wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:This is not the parody thread the title led me to believe it was. :(
You thought that too?
Brian needs to get out the video camera, put on some running mascara, and read the first post under a blanket fort while sobbing hysterically.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Cave wrote:
Yukito Kunisaki wrote: 3: Yeah, I myself have criticism in some categories and such myself, but nothing is perfect, and there is always that issue. Like for example, I just don't see that P&S video as a romance video. I know how the creator was planning for it to be, but it just wasn't romantic. The other videos in the category were focusing too much on various couples opposed to one, so it got hard to follow anything with as well. Sort of made my vote for Romance super easy. The category as titled as "romance" was very weak IMO, being a romance fan.... but hey, it happens. Yes, I made a romance video too for the contest, but I would have been honored to lose to the video that did win this year. It was without a doubt better than mine. No spite. Completely true.
Romance needs to NOT have a Clannad video for once. That would make me happy. T_T

I would like to point out that Brian's (otakuforlife) video was in Romance, though no one has specifically pointed it out. :P It just didn't really stand out, I suppose.
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I will not give up until I win something one year at AB.
Just focus on getting into the contest, because winning is a lot harder. Poor Brian has submitted to so, so many contests and, outside of iron editor, has only one once. (His Highschool of the Dead video won horror at AAC).

I'll have to watch his video again. I remember seeing it on the ballot, and when the video came up, there was something off about it in romance to me I believe. Maybe I just didn't catch it, I don't know or remember. All I can say is, that the only two in the category that really stuck out to me were the P&S one and the KnT one, and like I said, the P&S one to me just was not romance.

I love Key shows too, but as far as Clannad goes, I really don't care for it. I remember submitting Kanon and Air videos yeaaars ago, and now, it's crazy I see alot of Key's anime in the finals, or hear about alot of people using their anime for AMVs in this contest. Kinda makes me happy, but at the same time, sad, since I don't watch as much anime as I used to, so i am limited on footage. Everything else I have on DVD that I like, just doesn't have quality (Like for example, I was submitted a Kashimashi video for Romance this year.... and though I ripped DVDs, the quality was still awful) or I cannot get good enough raw footage (Like a year or two ago, I submitted a Full Moon wo Sagashite video also to Romance, and that was crazy annoying. The series wasn't even fully released in the states, so I was stuck with subtitle versions since I couldn't find raws to finish off the last 20 something episodes, and I was stuck resorting to.....yuck..... zoom ins and cropping out subtitles. Needless to say, I was very disappointed... but I wanted to make a FMwS video, and I still want to make one of great quality, but I have no way to. >_>)

I really wish I could just sit down and watch anime like I used to, but I am a TV person, not a PC person. Until I can get more income so I can get more DVDs and such, seems my limitation on footage will remain. I still got ideas brainstorming regardless though. Non-Clannad or anything like that.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
AliceTanzer wrote:
You thought that too?
Brian needs to get out the video camera, put on some running mascara, and read the first post under a blanket fort while sobbing hysterically.
Hmmm.... I don't own mascara but everyone knows how oddball I am, don't tempt me :)
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote: I really wish I could just sit down and watch anime like I used to, but I am a TV person, not a PC person.
tv sets have vga/dvi/hdmi ports on them for a reason ;) just because you are streaming doesn't mean you have to be viewing it on a pc monitor
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Yeah I use an old school s-video output to my big screen for crunchy roll :)
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I would look into this if I had my computer in a suitable location. Sadly, it is located in the only room in the house possibly without a TV *excluding the bathrooms and the kitchens*

Maybe someday when I can get a computer for another room/more personal use over a shared PC.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I would look into this if I had my computer in a suitable location. Sadly, it is located in the only room in the house possibly without a TV *excluding the bathrooms and the kitchens*

Maybe someday when I can get a computer for another room/more personal use over a shared PC.
have you looked into raspberry pi?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

they claim they got running 1080p video in xbmc. not sure how your house is setup, but if you have some way to get it online, that could be worth looking into as the main point of them is that they are dirt cheap.

(note: i am just tossing this out there as an idea. i have no idea how well it will work in practice, but i was thinking about picking one up)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Nah, I haven't even heard of it to be quite honest, but it looks interesting. I still think I will wait on my own personal PC though. Much more help that way, so I can work on my AMVs year round and such., and it could be more desirable for me to hook up whatever on my PC and look at it on my TV. It would also make for self-prescreening my videos alot more desirable as well, so I think I am going to hold off until I can do that, haha.

But yeah, if I reaaaaally wanted to, I still have a PS3 set to my TV, so I have my options there as well, though, I don't like using my PS3 for watching stuff either. I appreciate the help. :)
l33tmeatwad
I'm new!

Post by l33tmeatwad »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:3: Yeah, I myself have criticism in some categories and such myself, but nothing is perfect, and there is always that issue. Like for example, I just don't see that P&S video as a romance video. I know how the creator was planning for it to be, but it just wasn't romantic. The other videos in the category were focusing too much on various couples opposed to one, so it got hard to follow anything with as well. Sort of made my vote for Romance super easy. The category as titled as "romance" was very weak IMO, being a romance fan.... but hey, it happens. Yes, I made a romance video too for the contest, but I would have been honored to lose to the video that did win this year. It was without a doubt better than mine. No spite. Completely true.
I have to say, I would have been pretty disappointed in the audience had Enchanted not won considering the competition. As for mine, yeah, it wasn't as fitting as my entry last year, but I assume the editing carried it on to the finals since the concept wasn't strong towards romance. Best of luck next year with your video entry btw, and if you ever need people to look over your videos and give you feedback, I know quite a few editors that could help you out :)!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Good sportsmanship 1337. :)..... To be honest, regardless of my thoughts of yours being romancey or not, yours is one of the three AMVs I have been watching on youtube from time to time again, because it was still really good and catchy, lol.

Also, thank you and I appreciate it. We have alot of great AMV makers in this contest. Just my whole desire of debuting my AMVs at AB kind of makes it hard for me to ask for opinions. Just how I am. :p
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami »

Warlike Swans wrote: I found it pretty funny when someone said they had a knee-jerk reaction to dislike Ploy, and I'm glad I got to read it.
Oh good. I'd hate to think that my personal and emotional reason for disliking a video (which, when I take the emotional attachment to the show used out of it, really was a good video) was taken as an explicit insult to/dig at the video's creator. Since it wasn't meant to be.

On the topic of this topic, however, I'd like to address the initial #3 point about the show being for the audience and not the editors. I think that's WHY there has been so much "negative" feedback about the AMV contest this year. I mean, I haven't gotten the impression from reading the threads that the majority of the feedback is coming from the editors, but maybe I'm wrong? Whichever, speaking -as- an audience member, I like to think that by letting the editors and the staffers who run the AMV contest know what I disliked, and if enough other people disliked the same thing and make their voices heard, then the editors/contest runners will change whatever it was for the coming year.

I like to think that... but in reality this is probably not what happens. In fact, I imagine several of the editors probably cackle evilly as they take the things that seemed to annoy people the most, and work them into as many AMVs as they can for the upcoming year's contest circuit. I mean, that's what I'd do. :D

ANYways. My point is that if there isn't any negative feedback, then nothing will change. If you disliked something, and don't say anything about it, then nobody will know. And maybe, just maybe, there were other people out there who didn't like the same thing, but were too scared to speak up, or just weren't active in the forums. Positive feedback is nice, but it doesn't actually do anything useful, practically speaking.
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Shiroikami wrote: In fact, I imagine several of the editors probably cackle evilly as they take the things that seemed to annoy people the most, and work them into as many AMVs as they can for the upcoming year's contest circuit.
Nah, dokool hasn't entered the contest in YEARS.

>.>
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

^ From what I saw of Bashar's entry this year, I can't say all of that is exactly gone with dokool's absence.