Best in Show... or Not

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
cloudsora
I'm new!

Best in Show... or Not

Post by cloudsora »

So was anyone else really surprised about the Ponyo Jaws AMV winning?
I've gone for a few years now and I've been able to always see between one or two for which will win but this year I didn't even think it was an option.

My thoughts on what it was going to be in terms of probablity (that didn't get a best already):
1. My Own Personal AMV Hell
2. Clubbin' With Lupin
3. Spirit Punch
4. Safety Dance
5. Riot!
6. Redlimit
7. The Contract
were the ones I thought were possible but the Ponyo one didn't even really leave much of an impression at all. It was good don't get me wrong but I don't think it deserved a "Best".
aznman08
AB Staff

Re: Best in Show... or Not

Post by aznman08 »

I am slightly surprised only because I thought Ouran Band video would have won.

Not to mention that Best in Show must please the crowd (popularity), but Ouran Band won Comedy beating the AMV Hell video.
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

cloudsora wrote:So was anyone else really surprised about the Ponyo Jaws AMV winning?
I was surprised, but pleasantly so.

I thought it was very well edited, and obviously pleased the crowd if it got the most votes for its category. The audience had spoken, and I was glad they chose a well thought out and executed creation.
Cosplays-2007,2008(Misato/Evangelion), 2009(Lucy/Elfen Lied), 2010(SIM), 2011(gothic SIM), 2012(Mara Jade), 2013(female mandalorian), 2014(female mandalorian, Alice(OUATIW)

AMV's-2011(Adversity), 2013(Animosity of the Feline Species)

H-AMV's-2009(The Hentai King), 2010(Yaoi Love), 2011(Supertight), 2012(Share the Load)
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Understanding that Best in Show is chosen because it has proved itself the most popular video in a given category is important. There were a lot of strong videos this year which no doubt divided up the votes considerably. Bye: The Sea was the video that was the furthest ahead of the pack in any one category. The audience voted for it as Best Other and voted enthusiastically enough that it won Best of Show, that's just the way it works out. If you have an issue with that choice, there's a whole audience of individual decision makers to contend with who made a WHOLE bunch of choices in every category to create this outcome. Your own choices could easily have contributed to this outcome, in fact.

It's just not a black and white thing, this Anime Boston Best of Show business. I've never really liked it, myself, but there are a lot of different ways contests are run and that's just the way it is at AB.
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
aznman08
AB Staff

Post by aznman08 »

DriftRoot wrote: It's just not a black and white thing, this Anime Boston Best of Show business. I've never really liked it, myself, but there are a lot of different ways contests are run and that's just the way it is at AB.
In previous years, there used to be a space where attendees wrote the number of which AMV deserved Best in Show. However it was mostly left blank and there would only be a few votes for the winner. As such it was changed to the AMV with the most votes which Bye: The Sea had done. As a result, the "Best Other" Category was chosen with the 2nd most votes in that category
John Bautista
AB 2022: General Tech l 2019: Senior Tech l 2014-18: Junior Tech Staff l 2007-2013: AB volunteer l 2006:attendee
PAX East Enforcer:2014-22
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I'm not surprised at all. Honestly, the AMV Hell videos are overdone and the whole comedy category IMO was kind of weak. You could choose one video in the FUO category, and it would be funnier than the comedy category as a whole. The Ponyo video winning was pretty much a given. I was expecting that, the DBZ, or the Russian Armstrong one to take the show.

THOUUUGH..... that is just MY opinion. I just did not smirk at any of the AMVs in comedy. Some videos were well edited, but they just weren't "haha" material to me.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Miracle_falcon
I'm new!

Post by Miracle_falcon »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I'm not surprised at all. Honestly, the AMV Hell videos are overdone and the whole comedy category IMO was kind of weak. You could choose one video in the FUO category, and it would be funnier than the comedy category as a whole. The Ponyo video winning was pretty much a given. I was expecting that, the DBZ, or the Russian Armstrong one to take the show.

THOUUUGH..... that is just MY opinion. I just did not smirk at any of the AMVs in comedy. Some videos were well edited, but they just weren't "haha" material to me.
Well, I wanted to try my hand at the AMV Hell thing, and I was happy that the audience laughed. I was kind of mortified going into it.
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

aznman08 wrote:
DriftRoot wrote: It's just not a black and white thing, this Anime Boston Best of Show business. I've never really liked it, myself, but there are a lot of different ways contests are run and that's just the way it is at AB.
In previous years, there used to be a space where attendees wrote the number of which AMV deserved Best in Show. However it was mostly left blank and there would only be a few votes for the winner. As such it was changed to the AMV with the most votes which Bye: The Sea had done. As a result, the "Best Other" Category was chosen with the 2nd most votes in that category
Yes, there are pros and cons to doing it both ways which have been discussed at length in previous years. I just happen to fall on the side of favoring an actual Best of Show vote over something that doesn't mean what a lot of people think it means (best video in the competition vs. video that overwhelmed the competition in its own category). Whether the actual results of the Best in Show vote would be different than the results of the current system...who knows? The Best in Show voters represented a small sample of an already small voting pool, and as such are not necessarily representative of the audience as a whole. As I said, lots of pros and cons to each way. It's too bad we couldn't do an A/B split test on the audience and hand out different types of ballots to see what could be done to influence a) results and b) the number of people voting. (I am joking, btw.)
rchapoteau
Experienced Poster

Post by rchapoteau »

Did I miss a list of winners somewhere? Can someone put in a link please? Thank you.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Miracle_falcon wrote: Well, I wanted to try my hand at the AMV Hell thing, and I was happy that the audience laughed. I was kind of mortified going into it.
I freaked out as soon as the bit with Caster came on. Truly cringe-worthy, as most good AMV Hell segments are. :D
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Kiarrens wrote:
Miracle_falcon wrote: Well, I wanted to try my hand at the AMV Hell thing, and I was happy that the audience laughed. I was kind of mortified going into it.
I freaked out as soon as the bit with Caster came on. Truly cringe-worthy, as most good AMV Hell segments are. :D
x2 I think I literally covered my eyes at one point during that segment. :lol: Didn't shut out what I was hearing, of course.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Miracle_falcon wrote:
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:I'm not surprised at all. Honestly, the AMV Hell videos are overdone and the whole comedy category IMO was kind of weak. You could choose one video in the FUO category, and it would be funnier than the comedy category as a whole. The Ponyo video winning was pretty much a given. I was expecting that, the DBZ, or the Russian Armstrong one to take the show.

Well, I wanted to try my hand at the AMV Hell thing, and I was happy that the audience laughed. I was kind of mortified going into it.
It's not a bad thing. You got laughs, which, if it was my video, I would also have been happy to know I succeeded in getting that of the audience. If it helps, I did vote for yours for a few reasons. The closest thing to really catch me was, well, since I am a fan of Anohana, the Menma bit you did. My other Anohana friends thought that was cruel of you, but it kind of amused me. Not "haha" amused, but you know.

But yeah, the Hell style videos are really hit or miss, with the fact also that they have come and gone, and are not a unique style anymore. Interesting way to change scenes though. Props on that.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

cloudsora wrote:So was anyone else really surprised about the Ponyo Jaws AMV winning?
I've gone for a few years now and I've been able to always see between one or two for which will win but this year I didn't even think it was an option.
i was very disappointed that ponyo got best in show. don't get me wrong, it was a great video, but it is a recycled idea that we've all seen before, and it won because of how it stacked up against other amv's in its own category instead of against other amv's overall.

i think that the way best of show gets picked needs to be reconsidered, because there were definitely much better amv's in the other categories, but they were in categories with multiple amazing videos.

i know this removes the people, but i think it would be MUCH better if the winner of each category was determined by popular vote (as it is now), but then the staff panel decided best of show from those 6 winners (and then whatever would have been second place in the winning category would get bumped up to first). this would greatly improve the odds of the best amv in the show getting the best of show award.

again, i just want to re-iterate that this isn't a knock on the ponyo/jaws amv, just my opinion (and the opinion of my friend that i watched the amv's with) that while it was good, it definitely wasn't the best (or even top 3) of the over all amv pool.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Uh... Other had several absolutely amazing videos in it. The category wasn't weak at all.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Uh... Other had several absolutely amazing videos in it. The category wasn't weak at all.
while i do think there were some excellent amv's in that category, would you really be willing to say it wasn't the weakest/least contested of the 6 categories? i mean, comedy had marketing ploy and clubbing with lupin, fun/upbeat had hands up and once upon a time in russia, drama had fate matrix and imagica, action had your perfect world and king of knights, i definitely think these were MUCH more contested categories.

regardless, surely you don't disagree that the way the current system is designed, it picks a winner based on how something compares with others in its category instead of how it compares with the rest of the competition. under the current rules, there was no way in hell that hands up or once upon a time in russia had any chance whatsoever of winning. like i said, this wasn't intended as a knock on any videos, but a criticism on how BoS is picked. its a shame that people didn't use the BoS field when it existed, because that would have been the ideal solution.
"Asking cosplayers to walk through a metal detector is like asking Axl Rose to take a drug test." -Bluebeard45
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

It's a valid knock if the category has a bunch of crappy videos in it and one great one. This was not the case this year. In fact, this was probably the best possible situation for a final ballot list we've had in a while. This is the one configuration where that complaint is least valid since it's been introduced as the way things work.
reaper527
Determined Poster

Post by reaper527 »

we're going to just have to agree to disagree here, because given the following list

• Fate Matrix by Shin-AMV, GuntherAMVs
  • Your Perfect World by irriadin
  • Enchanted by AimoAio
  • Hands Up! by Doug Cruces
  • Bye: the Sea by Alberto Gonzalez
  • Marketing Ploy by Warlike Swans
i don't think any other method of picking would have given the same result as the current system, whether that be marking a BoS on the ballot, a second winners poll, a panel of selected individuals deciding, or any method that would compare all winners against each other instead of their respective runner up. hopefully the system is open to being reworked for future cons, because the current BoS system is critically flawed.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

I didn't say the method was a good one. I just pointed out that it didn't fail this year because of poor distribution of awesome videos. Kingdom of LFS and Evil Island were both really great videos that were also in Other.
Jezzy
Expert Poster

Post by Jezzy »

reaper527 wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Uh... Other had several absolutely amazing videos in it. The category wasn't weak at all.
while i do think there were some excellent amv's in that category, would you really be willing to say it wasn't the weakest/least contested of the 6 categories? i mean, comedy had marketing ploy and clubbing with lupin, fun/upbeat had hands up and once upon a time in russia, drama had fate matrix and imagica, action had your perfect world and king of knights, i definitely think these were MUCH more contested categories.
Fine, I'll stand up and say it. I thought Other was one of the strongest categories in the entire contest, save one entry. Other and Drama were, in my opinion, the strongest. Both had videos that I felt went along with the songs, and Reunite Without Fail is my personal Best of Show because it made me have that song stuck in my head after hearing it only once, and led me to watch the series immediately after coming home. Also, I just like video itself. Comedy and Action were the weakest. It was to the point where the final amv had ended and I was staring at my ballot without a clue as to which video of those categories I was going to vote for because none of them had struck me at all. I had a similar problem with Other -- I liked most of them, and found it hard to decide between two of them.

I'm not crazy about the way BoS is tallied either, but after the disaster that was the 2008 AMV Contest, I'll take just about anything.
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I didn't say the method was a good one. I just pointed out that it didn't fail this year because of poor distribution of awesome videos. Kingdom of LFS and Evil Island were both really great videos that were also in Other.
I'd just like to add that Evil Island won the Editor's Choice Award, which is nothing to sneeze at. That is one of the best trailer AMVs I've ever seen and was a very well done AMV above and beyond its genre.

That said...this BoS award is an audience award, at the end of the day. If the votes in the other categories were heavily split, and the votes not so heavily split in "Other," that's just the way it is. The audience voted for what they liked best in a given category, and - as others have said - lots of effects and slick editing doesn't count for a lot if the audience isn't interested. Everybody has different parameters for casting their vote, the most that can be done is ensure that the system is fair. If the audience has failed so repeatedly to vote for a BoS that the actual vote was taken away from them, I'd rather we figure out how to solve THAT problem than perpetuate another voting system that people also generally agree is flawed.

I've said it before and so I will say it again: many years I had trouble finding where to vote for BoS on the ballot, simply because of the way it was laid out and blended in with everything else. Make the thing take up a quarter or even a third of the ballot page, with huge arrows pointing to it if necessary, and I would almost guarantee that the number of people actually filling in that space would go up. Add reminders to the end of each category on screen, add like a minute of space between categories and raise the lights a bit to to help out people who REALLY should be voting while the videos are fresh in their minds, not scrambling around later to remember what they saw and vote while fleeing for the exit to get to their next panel or whatever. If the audience needs more prodding to vote, then prod them, remind them they're there to help pick the winners and give them a specific time and place to do it in.

But hey, I have no idea how the voting has gone down in previous years. Perhaps the BoS vote typically matched up precisely with the overall winner in a given category, so it was deemed the safest solution and one that at least incorporated a larger pool of voters. Maybe it doesn't work every time, but it works well enough. I don't know!
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami »

As a non-AMV-editor, I thought that almost all of the categories had very strong showings this year. The only exception to this was the Romance category, which I thought fell down a bit.

I really wanted to vote on at least two or three different AMVs in each category (save Romance), and in a couple of cases arbitrarily picked one based on a sort of "first thing that comes to mind" method.

I was a bit surprised by some of the winners though. Here's why:

Best Drama - Fate Matrix
Why I was surprised: The video struck me more as a Romance than a Drama. I more expected this one to get the Best Editing technical award rather than the Best in Category. It was a beautiful video though, and I'm now in the middle of watching Kamisama no Memochou because of it.

Best Comedy - Marketing Ploy
Why I was surprised: I didn't actually think this one was that funny compared to Clubbin' With Lupin and My Own Personal AMV Hell. But I will admit that the Ouran anime has a special place in my heart, so seeing it used that way made me knee-jerk dislike the video...

Best Editing - What the Hell
Why I was surprised: See my comments on Fate Matrix. Also, I just didn't really see the editing aspect of What the Hell. It was a nice video and all (I'd never seen the series in question there, so I watched the first episode of the anime when I got home... I have no idea what I watched... o.O), but I just didn't really feel like the editing was what made it good.

Best in Show - Bye: The Sea
Why I was surprised: This one was a little weird. I both was and wasn't surprised at this one. I wasn't because it was clear that people reacted well to it. I was because I did NOT think it was the best of all of the videos. It was one of four movie trailers, short, and there was just enough of a disconnect for me between the two sources and the execution of the concept that it didn't really do anything for me. In 2007, Something Wicked This Way Comes convincingly portrayed Totoro as a horror movie. This worked because many of the scenes in that movie, taken out of context that way, and set to Requiem for a Dream, ARE very dark. It was edited as a story, and it flowed straight through. Conversely, Bye: The Sea failed to really convince me that Ponyo (who is much less menacing than Totoro to begin with) was really a man-eating monster. I didn't feel like there was a proper flow to the scenes chosen, and so I felt that disconnect. In all, I felt that there were at least five or six better choices for that particular award. Videos that told their story better, and really managed to convince me that the music and the video went together.

I actually think DriftRoot's got a worthwhile idea in his suggestion that the Best in Show voting category be brought back, and reminders be made between categories and maybe also at the very beginning and the very end of the whole thing. On the other hand, I'm also a fan of obtaining a significant sampling of relevant data before making changes, so I'll also advocate for keeping the current system for Best in Show for another year or two, just to see if we continue to see unbalanced winners, or if things even out and the Best in Show actually does end up being the BEST in Show, not just the most popular in its category...
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Yeah, the "Other" category had some really good videos. My favorites were Evil Island and Undead Occupation. Actually, I think those were the two strongest in the category so it really surprised me.

I keep hearing everyone saying that Enchanted was by far the best in romance, yet it still wasn't enough to get the most votes? I have yet to see anyone say "I didn't vote for Enchanted." There was more competition in the Other category by far.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Cave wrote:
Yeah, the "Other" category had some really good videos. My favorites were Evil Island and Undead Occupation. Actually, I think those were the two strongest in the category so it really surprised me.

I keep hearing everyone saying that Enchanted was by far the best in romance, yet it still wasn't enough to get the most votes? I have yet to see anyone say "I didn't vote for Enchanted." There was more competition in the Other category by far.
Yeah, but it isn't as though EVERYONE in the audience has posted or said they voted for Enchanted. Plus, I think Ponyo's video had a wider appeal. I am kind of curious just how far away Enchanted was to BoS, since it DOES seem like it was the "obvious vote" for most people. I do think though, that the Panty and Stocking video probably got alot of votes as well, just for the show's fanbase, and the people in the audience who do not like romance. (Let's face it. Alot of people will say they dislike and are bored with romance. With that, they would just go for whatever video amused them. The P&S video was fun and upbeat, as well as amusing in some cases. I still don't see it as romance, but those who aren't into romance, I could easily see giving that video their vote.)
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

Well, to be fair, it actually had an AMAZING video in it when we prescreened it, and we voted it in after I made an impassioned speech about it, but then the creator was a big sissy lady-pants and wouldn't let us play it in the actual contest.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

lordshamus wrote:but then the creator was a big sissy lady-pants and wouldn't let us play it in the actual contest.

FOR DAMN GOOD REASON. F'n thing made Dokool's opus to insanity look like a masterwork of Chopin sung by a chorus of delighful co-eds.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
midnightsiren182
AB Staff

Post by midnightsiren182 »

Aidan2 wrote:
lordshamus wrote:but then the creator was a big sissy lady-pants and wouldn't let us play it in the actual contest.

FOR DAMN GOOD REASON. F'n thing made Dokool's opus to insanity look like a masterwork of Chopin sung by a chorus of delighful co-eds.

And this is why you should never try to troll the AMV prescreeners when Shamus is involved, he'll troll back threefold if no one stops him.
Lauren Gallo
Programming Ops Staff 2024
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

JUST IMAGINE THE AUDIENCE AS THE SIXTH MINUTE CRESTED!!!! I would have barred the doors to the auditorium of course. Oh, such a wasted opportunity for GLORY UNDYING....
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

midnightsiren182
AB Staff

lordshamus wrote:JUST IMAGINE THE AUDIENCE AS THE SIXTH MINUTE CRESTED!!!! I would have barred the doors to the auditorium of course. Oh, such a wasted opportunity for GLORY UNDYING....
Shamus, there's always 2013.
Lauren Gallo
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Yea, you're free to show it any time you want.
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Yea, you're free to show it any time you want.

This is is! In writing! Adam, I have it in writing!!!!!!

(And that was the story of how Opening Ceremonies of AB 2013 came to be...)
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

midnightsiren182
AB Staff

lordshamus wrote:

Oh I need to be backstage for that one.
Lauren Gallo
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Look at it this way, if you ever need to clear a big room in a hurry at AB or control an unruly crowd, you've got the perfect thing to broadcast. Just pop Bashar's video in, crank up the volume and VOILA!! Instant exodus! Or at least, for crowd control, cowering cries of "We'll behave, we'll BEHAVE, JUST MAKE IT STOP!"
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

This. Not that you guys have to or that we are curious of it, but you know, you can link it whenever your heart's content.
LantisEscudo
AB Staff

Post by LantisEscudo »

Yukito Kunisaki wrote:
This. Not that you guys have to or that we are curious of it, but you know, you can link it whenever your heart's content.
Here. WARNING: Not safe for ears, speakers, or sanity.
Mike Montanye
AB Staff 2016-2024 - AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2014-2015 - Assistant AMV Contest Coordinator
AB Staff 2013 - Tech Ops Special Projects
Chairman Miaow
AB Staff

Post by Chairman Miaow »

lordshamus wrote:

Well, to be fair, it actually had an AMAZING video in it when we prescreened it, and we voted it in after I made an impassioned speech about it, but then the creator was a big sissy lady-pants and wouldn't let us play it in the actual contest.
There was a speech? I just remember walking into the room and falling dead into the floor struggling to breathe as I drooled into the carpet. I think I also tried to convince Adam that I wanted to take away all of my previous votes in all other categories and just dump them into one giant score for the video, but apparently that's against the rules or some sort of nonsense. RIDICULOUS, I SAY. ART BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE.
Matt Miller (It's pronounced as one word)
Assistant Director of Guest Relations 2017 - present
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

LantisEscudo wrote:
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:
Here. WARNING: Not safe for ears, speakers, or sanity.

My god, I just watched the whole thing, from beginning to end, and .....

I'll leave it at that. HAD that video made it into the contest, I can assure you that the comedy category never would have got a chance.

I DO have an idea for Anime Boston in general though. Use this video to clear people out of the rooms next year.
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

Hmm, now I'm quite curious since my internet keeps crashing whenever I try to download Bashar's amv.
It's like a sign.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
NSilverwolf
AB Staff

Post by NSilverwolf »

MidnightSiren182 wrote:
lordshamus wrote:

Team Auditorium vetos your plan Shamus. Right here...right now. I saw that video too...and I like my hearing thank you.

That being said...it was the ultimate success at what it was attempting to achieve.
Nicole Acevedo
New England Anime Society Board of Directors 2012-2023
Live Video Productions Manager 2011-2022
Staff since 2004
Aidan2
AB Executive

Post by Aidan2 »

NSilverwolf wrote:
MidnightSiren182 wrote:
lordshamus wrote:

Team Auditorium vetos your plan Shamus. Right here...right now. I saw that video too...and I like my hearing thank you.

That being said...it was the ultimate success at what it was attempting to achieve.

The fact that HE never saw it before it was submitted to me means it is just evil incarniate.
Michael Lee
Director of Technical Operations
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

W....what did I just watch?
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Shiroikami
Veteran Poster

Post by Shiroikami »

lordshamus wrote:

I feel like I should be utterly terrified... and contrive to NOT make it to opening ceremonies next year...
Flying is easy. You just have to learn to throw yourself at the ground... and miss...

2007 - Shinigami in Pink
2008 - Mitsuru (Persona 3)
2010 - Jade Curtiss: Doctor Mambo costume title (Tales of the Abyss)
2012 - Xion (Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days)
2013 - Yukionna
2014 - Kyubei (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
2015 - Sailor Jupiter
2016 - Akatsuki (Log Horizon)
2017 - Sailor Jupiter
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Post by MeliChan »

Finally got a change to catch up on some of the threads. The last quarter of it made me laugh a lot. :lol:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I didn't say the method was a good one. I just pointed out that it didn't fail this year because of poor distribution of awesome videos. Kingdom of LFS and Evil Island were both really great videos that were also in Other.
DriftRoot wrote:I'd just like to add that Evil Island won the Editor's Choice Award, which is nothing to sneeze at. That is one of the best trailer AMVs I've ever seen and was a very well done AMV above and beyond its genre.
Cave wrote:Yeah, the "Other" category had some really good videos. My favorites were Evil Island and Undead Occupation. Actually, I think those were the two strongest in the category so it really surprised me.
First of all, thank you! While there are some good points that have been made, no method is going to be perfect for voting for Best Of Show. If we switch methods again, there will be some people who just won't vote for it, but if we can get an increase somehow that would be a start. I have a couple of ideas and I do think DriftRoot's idea is absolutely brilliant:
DriftRoot wrote:I've said it before and so I will say it again: many years I had trouble finding where to vote for BoS on the ballot, simply because of the way it was laid out and blended in with everything else. Make the thing take up a quarter or even a third of the ballot page, with huge arrows pointing to it if necessary, and I would almost guarantee that the number of people actually filling in that space would go up. Add reminders to the end of each category on screen, add like a minute of space between categories and raise the lights a bit to to help out people who REALLY should be voting while the videos are fresh in their minds, not scrambling around later to remember what they saw and vote while fleeing for the exit to get to their next panel or whatever. If the audience needs more prodding to vote, then prod them, remind them they're there to help pick the winners and give them a specific time and place to do it in.
An extra 2 minutes after a category would allow enough time to vote instead of trying to remember everything later. And a reminder before the contest ends that people should vote for BOS. Adam at the AMV Winners Panel said that pencils aren't a good option because with people's excitement the sharp pencils could cause some injuries. So maybe some markers or something?
My Anime Boston AMVs

2012: Editor's Choice Winner: Evil Island
2010 Best Other AMV Winner: A Walk To Remember
2009 Romance Finalist: Through Thick And Thin
2008 Romance Finalist: My Only Love
2007 Action Finalist: Forsaken

2013 Cosplay
Kotani Nobuko from Nobuta wo Produce
jash08
I'm new!

Post by jash08 »

W....what did I just watch?
U......u just watch a PORN LOL
:lol: here
NOlemons
Veteran Poster

Post by NOlemons »

Ok NM editing. Firefox was the key. Oh that was good. I mean you play that, just the audio, when you want everyone to leave, god stupenduos. peace of work
2016 confirms
Fuhrer King Bradley