AMV Dinner Returns to UNO's

If you have questions about Anime Boston's AMV contest or want to seek advice, this is the place to ask.
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Re: AMV Dinner Returns to UNO's

Post by MeliChan »

My group and I always go to Uno's the Thursday before the convention. If we are there at the same time this is being held, I'll definitely stop by and say a quick hello to everyone. It looks like it's going to be a large group of people so I'm likely to be a little shy if I do see all of you there. :oops: I forgot everyone was at Uno's for the AMV dinner last year too - I really missed out on a lot by not being able to attend AB last year.
My Anime Boston AMVs

2012: Editor's Choice Winner: Evil Island
2010 Best Other AMV Winner: A Walk To Remember
2009 Romance Finalist: Through Thick And Thin
2008 Romance Finalist: My Only Love
2007 Action Finalist: Forsaken

2013 Cosplay
Kotani Nobuko from Nobuta wo Produce
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Don't be shy a lot of us are really nice people, until you get to know us j/k.
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Yes!! STOP BY! Not sure if I'll be there, but I hope to see you! Heh, I'd say look for the chick with the red hair, but I'm not the only redhead likely to be there. :lol: Oh, I know: I'm the older one. ROFL

If it makes you feel better, last year (was it last year? my memory is a bit hazy on this point) they seated us in about three separate locations, so at any given time there were maybe 10-12 people in one place. So it's potentially not like you're standing in front of 25 people introducing yourself. ^_^

Speaking of which, is there anything that can be done to have seating arranged so we're all kind of sitting "together?" I know there's certainly fire codes and things, but it would be nice if the dinner felt more like a big group than several groups splintered off that don't really interact with one another. :|
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

I think that's the nature of dining rooms and large groups in general. Geometry and all that.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

MeliChan wrote:It looks like it's going to be a large group of people so I'm likely to be a little shy if I do see all of you there.
No way! Just find me and say "Hi, I'm the other Melissa". That would be awesome! Then I can dance about your "High school never ends" video :)
Cosplays-2007,2008(Misato/Evangelion), 2009(Lucy/Elfen Lied), 2010(SIM), 2011(gothic SIM), 2012(Mara Jade), 2013(female mandalorian), 2014(female mandalorian, Alice(OUATIW)

AMV's-2011(Adversity), 2013(Animosity of the Feline Species)

H-AMV's-2009(The Hentai King), 2010(Yaoi Love), 2011(Supertight), 2012(Share the Load)
Warlike Swans
Expert Poster

Post by Warlike Swans »

You should tack on a "sacrifice" next to my name. :twisted:
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

5 Sacrifices the elder god will be pleased j/k :twisted:
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

MeliChan wrote:My group and I always go to Uno's the Thursday before the convention. If we are there at the same time this is being held, I'll definitely stop by and say a quick hello to everyone. It looks like it's going to be a large group of people so I'm likely to be a little shy if I do see all of you there. :oops: I forgot everyone was at Uno's for the AMV dinner last year too - I really missed out on a lot by not being able to attend AB last year.

Lol, well, last year, our timing was pretty perfect. We saw everyone as we entered Unos last year, but sadly, you weren't with us. :(.... Everyone walked by us, and I exchanged a greeting to someone, but that was about it. Won't lie, I'm not easily one to go to a group and say "Hey! It's me!", you know?... plus, the two other girls in our group *As you know* aren't in the AMV contest *So they would feel really awkward just there with this huge group of random people they have no relation with*, and obviously were pretty hungry at the time, and well as the AMV group I am sure, so I didn't want to pull back any time either.

I dunno though, heck, we have our own group of 6 this year. We usually hit Unos about 6-7PM, so you know, we are probably going to cross paths again. We check into the hotel about maybe 3:30-4:30, depending on early check-in and lines, settle in, get our badges, get back to the hotel room, sit around a bit, then head out. Each year, the time would be about 6-7PM for us, so I would have to guess that is when, but if you are really up to it, and no one is killing eachother over food at the time, we could postpone it to a better time if need to, but probably wouldn't have to.

Either way Meli, it's fantastic to have you back again this year, and I hope the hotel works just fine. With a few weeks until the con now too, there is a few other things about Thursday we all need to talk about too whenever you two get the chance. No means to hi-jack the thread with this part, but there are a few things that we should get squared away still.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Post by MeliChan »

otakuforlife wrote:Don't be shy a lot of us are really nice people, until you get to know us j/k.
DriftRoot wrote:Yes!! STOP BY! Not sure if I'll be there, but I hope to see you! Heh, I'd say look for the chick with the red hair, but I'm not the only redhead likely to be there. :lol: Oh, I know: I'm the older one. ROFL

If it makes you feel better, last year (was it last year? my memory is a bit hazy on this point) they seated us in about three separate locations, so at any given time there were maybe 10-12 people in one place. So it's potentially not like you're standing in front of 25 people introducing yourself. ^_^...
Knowing that actually helps a lot, thanks! As my group member said we'll probably be there at the same time. This is going to be fun. :)
mikami wrote:No way! Just find me and say "Hi, I'm the other Melissa". That would be awesome! Then I can dance about your "High school never ends" video :)
That made me laugh a lot xD Sounds like a plan. I actually pictured the L icon you used to have dancing in that chair instead of it going off screen after I read it. :lol: Speaking of videos, did you ever upload Adversity anywhere online? Since I missed out last year I never got to see your video. :( I looked for it since but I never found it.
Yukito Kunisaki wrote:Lol, well, last year, our timing was pretty perfect. We saw everyone as we entered Unos last year, but sadly, you weren't with us. :(.... Everyone walked by us, and I exchanged a greeting to someone, but that was about it. Won't lie, I'm not easily one to go to a group and say "Hey! It's me!", you know?... plus, the two other girls in our group *As you know* aren't in the AMV contest *So they would feel really awkward just there with this huge group of random people they have no relation with*, and obviously were pretty hungry at the time, and well as the AMV group I am sure, so I didn't want to pull back any time either.

I dunno though, heck, we have our own group of 6 this year. We usually hit Unos about 6-7PM, so you know, we are probably going to cross paths again. We check into the hotel about maybe 3:30-4:30, depending on early check-in and lines, settle in, get our badges, get back to the hotel room, sit around a bit, then head out. Each year, the time would be about 6-7PM for us, so I would have to guess that is when, but if you are really up to it, and no one is killing eachother over food at the time, we could postpone it to a better time if need to, but probably wouldn't have to.

Either way Meli, it's fantastic to have you back again this year, and I hope the hotel works just fine. With a few weeks until the con now too, there is a few other things about Thursday we all need to talk about too whenever you two get the chance. No means to hi-jack the thread with this part, but there are a few things that we should get squared away still.
Those were my thoughts exactly: it would be awkward for some people in our group who don't edit. So, as long as the AMV dinner group doesn't mind me interrupting their meal and everyone at our table doesn't mind me going away for 5-10 minutes I can get up and introduce myself (or if we get lucky we'll see everyone in the line to get in again). I love how it's such a routine now that we know the exact time we are going to do everything on Thursday. Like you said there is a lot to discuss still about Thursday though since there will be more people than usual. Sorry about that. I've been working and when I'm not too tired I've been editing and trying to finish up my second video before the deadline. I'll e-mail you tonight and you are also welcome to email me anytime. Thanks for the welcome back! *Wonders how your second AMV submission is coming along as she loads up Vegas*
My Anime Boston AMVs

2013 Cosplay
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

MeliChan wrote:Those were my thoughts exactly: it would be awkward for some people in our group who don't edit. So, as long as the AMV dinner group doesn't mind me interrupting their meal and everyone at our table doesn't mind me going away for 5-10 minutes I can get up and introduce myself (or if we get lucky we'll see everyone in the line to get in again). I love how it's such a routine now that we know the exact time we are going to do everything on Thursday. Like you said there is a lot to discuss still about Thursday though since there will be more people than usual. Sorry about that. I've been working and when I'm not too tired I've been editing and trying to finish up my second video before the deadline. I'll e-mail you tonight and you are also welcome to email me anytime. Thanks for the welcome back! *Wonders how your second AMV submission is coming along as she loads up Vegas*
Yeah, last year, it was just that. We walked in, everyone was in a big group in front of the door, lol.

Work is work. It's understandable, no need to apologize for having a life, right? Haha. Don't think I am holding anything against you, I'm not, lol.

As for my second AMV, uhhh. I really don't know how to answer that. It will be finished any day now, but whether or not it gets in, I am still very.... worried about it. I like it, don't get me wrong, but the presence of the video is almost taboo on two different levels, which could effect me, if or if not it makes it in the contest. We will see though. The first one is about ready to be sent, I found a hiccup in a spot, but it's good.
mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

MeliChan wrote:That made me laugh a lot xD Sounds like a plan. I actually pictured the L icon you used to have dancing in that chair instead of it going off screen after I read it. :lol: Speaking of videos, did you ever upload Adversity anywhere online? Since I missed out last year I never got to see your video. :( I looked for it since but I never found it.
I loved that little avatar L. I can't find him on any of the 5 computers lying around my house :(

I tried to upload it online but the file is a biggun, and I'm too scrappy doo to figure out how to put it on the org (insert Bashar's teasing remark here) :-/
Cosplays-2007,2008(Misato/Evangelion), 2009(Lucy/Elfen Lied), 2010(SIM), 2011(gothic SIM), 2012(Mara Jade), 2013(female mandalorian), 2014(female mandalorian, Alice(OUATIW)

H-AMV's-2009(The Hentai King), 2010(Yaoi Love), 2011(Supertight), 2012(Share the Load)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

mikami wrote:
MeliChan wrote:That made me laugh a lot xD Sounds like a plan. I actually pictured the L icon you used to have dancing in that chair instead of it going off screen after I read it. :lol: Speaking of videos, did you ever upload Adversity anywhere online? Since I missed out last year I never got to see your video. :( I looked for it since but I never found it.
I loved that little avatar L. I can't find him on any of the 5 computers lying around my house :(

I tried to upload it online but the file is a biggun, and I'm too scrappy doo to figure out how to put it on the org (insert Bashar's teasing remark here) :-/
Is the problem that it's too big to upload to the 'org? Because they raised the file size restrictions recently (150MB, 300MB for donators) if that helps. If it's a process problem, there's a step-by-step guide with pictures that's platform independent.
mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
mikami wrote:

Is the problem that it's too big to upload to the 'org? Because they raised the file size restrictions recently (150MB, 300MB for donators) if that helps. If it's a process problem, there's a step-by-step guide with pictures that's platform independent.
I believe its a size issue. The smallest file size I have of Adversity is still too big. I could re-render it as a smaller file size/quality just to get it on there for the 2 people who requested to see it.

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

mikami wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:
mikami wrote:

I believe its a size issue. The smallest file size I have of Adversity is still too big. I could re-render it as a smaller file size/quality just to get it on there for the 2 people who requested to see it.
Is it a really long file? Try using h264 (using ZarxGUI if you'd like) at QC18 or so. We can take this to PM if you want so it doesn't derail the thread further if you'd like.
MeliChan
Expert Poster

Post by MeliChan »

mikami wrote:I loved that little avatar L. I can't find him on any of the 5 computers lying around my house :(
Was it this one here? http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/yo ... 104050.gif I googled "L Chair Gif" and found it. :lol:
mikami wrote:I tried to upload it online but the file is a biggun, and I'm too scrappy doo to figure out how to put it on the org (insert Bashar's teasing remark here) :-/
Bashar's suggestion about using ZarxGUI for compression is really good. It's what I use and the new version is unbelievable. http://www.amvhell.com/stuff/zarx264gui/ You can also PM me as well if you have any questions. :) I also don't want to steer the conversation too much away from the AMV dinner. I'm really happy you might still try to upload it though if you can get the filesize down!
My Anime Boston AMVs

2013 Cosplay
mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

I'm gonna try again tonight, when I get out of work. And thank you for finding the scooting L again, but I might keep the new one. It looks like my Turkey (my cat).

Ok, no more derailing. I'm so excited for this dinner, and I'm definitely bringing a camera! Who else is excited??

basharoftheages
Under a bridge

mikami
Determined Poster

Post by mikami »

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Om topic :P
This made me hungry. It also made me smile :)

SpazzyNinjaSpork
Expert Poster

Post by SpazzyNinjaSpork »

I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it to UNO's, but would it be alright if I joined the Facebook group? It's my first time entering the AMV contest, and I'd love to hear what my fellow editors have to say. :D
Anime Boston 2011: Angel Stocking (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt), Fuko (Clannad)
Anime Boston 2012: Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)
Anime Boston 2013: Tamako Kitashirakawa (Tamako Market), maybe Marceline (Adventure Time)
Do I bleed awesome? No. Awesome bleeds me.
Domino
Experienced Poster

Post by Domino »

Same boat as the person above me, first amv and it would be nice to get some tips (especially on a computer that lags as bad as mine XD). I'll have....3 sacrifices though if that's okay ;-;

It's going to be one hard con for me, Pax being at the same time and all x.x
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

The group is an open group I don't see a problem with that.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

Domino wrote:Same boat as the person above me, first amv and it would be nice to get some tips (especially on a computer that lags as bad as mine XD). I'll have....3 sacrifices though if that's okay ;-;

It's going to be one hard con for me, Pax being at the same time and all x.x
Feel free to come by the AMV 101 and 201 panels, too. We don't bite (much).

Although, I personally won't be at the 101 and will likely arrive at 201 late. I have to help with/participate in the Cosplay Death Match which is tentatively scheduled for about the same time the panels are. :(
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Weeeeeellll..... some people tend to say dokool bites. :p.......in speaking, I haven't seen him around. He not coming again this year? Last I knew, he was posting about being in Japan last year.
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

He's still over there and can't quite swing coming back this year for the con either.
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

Sacrifices. Nice term to put it as I do say so myself. ^_^
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Extra guest added hamster!
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
DriftRoot
Veteran Poster

Post by DriftRoot »

Can you add me to the guest list? I'd mentioned tentatively attending, and I'll be doing my best to be there. Had it in my head the dinner was earlier in the evening, but I can definitely work out travel arrangements for 7 p.m.
Comedy AMV & Best Concept Winner 2008: 'Bustin
Comedy AMV 2009: Takeout
Best Other AMV Winner 2012: The Kingdom of L.F.S.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Added to master list drift..
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
RAWdangers
I'm new!

Post by RAWdangers »

Hey, put me down. Sorry for the late notice, just found out about this today.

Thanks
Tommy
aka RAWdangers
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Added to the master list RAWdangers.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

I think I'll call uno's tomorrow and bump that number to 30+ attendees... ><
I get the feeling that this years dinner is going to be bigger.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

When exactly did you schedule the dinner? We plan to be there are 6-7pm. Wondering if we will catch you guys again.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

7pm, it's on the opening page..
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Ah, haven't looked there in a while, my bad. Will keep it in mind.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Reservation checked on!
Also bumped it up to 30 people, I got this feeling :)
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Warlike Swans
Expert Poster

Post by Warlike Swans »

otakuforlife wrote: Location: Uno Chicago Grill - Bolton St - Across form the mall

I think you have the street name wrong and this is the right address: 731 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116 ... but I'd like confirmation on that.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

YEah, the street is "Boylston". Unos isn't hard to find. Just a walk down the street from the convention center. I think it was like....across from the Lenox hotel or whatever. Same street as it atleast.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Warlike Swans wrote:
otakuforlife wrote: Location: Uno Chicago Grill - Bolton St - Across form the mall

I think you have the street name wrong and this is the right address: 731 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02116 ... but I'd like confirmation on that.
Fixed :)
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

I am so excited for tonight!
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
rvkn
Getting the hang of this...

Post by rvkn »

Sorry for the last minute notice, but I plan to attend as well.