Masquerade 2024 - Questions

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Cycrino
AB Staff

Masquerade 2024 - Questions

Post by Cycrino »

Learn more about the event here: https://www.animeboston.com/activities/masquerade
Apply through Cosplay HQ: https://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq/
Event rules and application guidelines are posted here: https://www.animeboston.com/activities/masquerade_rules

If you have specific questions, you can post on this thread or you can contact the Masquerade Coordinator through the Contact Us form: https://www.animeboston.com/contact
Andrey Zholudok
Cosplay Events Manager 2024
HardyYo8
I'm new!

Re: Masquerade 2024 - Questions

Post by HardyYo8 »

I’m having trouble accessing the link to sign up for the masquerade, is there somewhere else to access the signup other than the anime Boston website? It just redirects me to cosplay hq and I don’t see it listed under the all events tab.
popculturechoreography
Getting the hang of this...

Post by popculturechoreography »

Hello! I am also having trouble accessing the link. The page gives me a 404 error, so I'm wondering if the submissions have not been opened yet?
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

HardyYo8 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:06 am I’m having trouble accessing the link to sign up for the masquerade, is there somewhere else to access the signup other than the anime Boston website? It just redirects me to cosplay hq and I don’t see it listed under the all events tab.
popculturechoreography wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:24 am Hello! I am also having trouble accessing the link. The page gives me a 404 error, so I'm wondering if the submissions have not been opened yet?
Applications are opening at 9pm ET tonight.
"My Events" / "All Events" should be showing a "Sorry there aren't currently any events to apply to" message until that time.

We thank you for your patience as we work with the new website. Typically a 404 means a few things:
  • Forum password needs to be updated
  • Cosplay HQ "My Profile" needs to be updated/accepted for the current year
  • Cosplay HQ "My history" may need to be updated/accepted
Can you try resetting your password and then clicking "Update" on both "My Profile" and "My history"?

Thanks!
Brian Magnant
Cosplay Events Assistant Manager 2024
Masquerade Coordinator 2020, 2023
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-19, 2021-2022

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.
popculturechoreography

Hi Brian,

I made sure my profile had all the information needed, and it's now showing the "Sorry, there aren't currently any events to apply to" message when I click on the registration page. So, I think I am all set until they open at 9pm. Thanks so much for your help!
MechaGhoul

Post by MechaGhoul »

Hey! Seeing a prompt for a build book file for submission, mine is currently a WIP as I'm wrapping my build up. Should I attach a draft of the book to update later, or just some progress photos?
AB 2024: ~secreeet~
AB2023: Revy - Black Lagoon, Hatsune Miku, Kuromi
AB2022: Ibuki Mioda, Ken Kaneki, Priss Asagiri
AB2020,2021: =[
AB2019: Monokuma, Ibuki Mioda [Despair Disease], Miku
AB2018: Celestia Ludenberg, Ibuki Mioda, Monokuma
AB2017: Celestia Ludenberg - Danganronpa
AB2016: Crona - Soul Eater, Jaeger Pilots - Pacific Rim
AB2015: Jaeger Pilots - Pacific Rim
AB2014: Lollipop Chainsaw[w/ Starling Sisters], Revy - Black Lagoon
Ab2013: Lollipop Chainsaw
bulletdancer
Experienced Poster

Post by bulletdancer »

Hi There,

Can someone explain why there's a 5MB limit on the build books during application and if it will change as we get closer to the deadline? That's the size of a single photo that most of us take when doing progress photo's. Will this be something increased for the final build books?

Thanks,

Bullet

AB 2009 - Hercule: Dragonball Z
AB 2010 - Waka: Okami
AB 2012 - FoMar: Phantasy Star Online
AB 2013 - Twilight Suzuka: Outlaw Star
AB 2015 - Princess Eiricka, Bride version: Fire Emblem Awakening
AB 2016 - Syaoran Li: Card Captor Sakura and Victorious Morgana: League of Legends
AB 2017 - Light Speed Suzuka: Angelic Layer
AB 2018 - Cid Raines - FFXII
AB 2019 - Cordelia Randgriz - Valkyria Chronicles
AB 2022 - Medicine Seller - Mononoke
AB 2023 - Somnacanth Armor - MH Rise
Paz
I'm new!

Post by Paz »

Sorry if this was answered, first time applicant here but I have to ask:

I thought Cosplay Build Books were only specifically necessary for Craftsmanship category and in the rules it says that "Costumes do not need to be homemade." That being said:

1) Do we specifically need a build book for our masquerade performance? I instead used my file to talk about the treatment as if this was more of scenes from a tv show.

2) Are we saying that other contestants are using the same outfit for craftsmanship?
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

Paz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:55 am Sorry if this was answered, first time applicant here but I have to ask:

I thought Cosplay Build Books were only specifically necessary for Craftsmanship category and in the rules it says that "Costumes do not need to be homemade." That being said:

1) Do we specifically need a build book for our masquerade performance? I instead used my file to talk about the treatment as if this was more of scenes from a tv show.
The rule stating that costumes do not need to be homemade is specifically listed within the Performance contest and only applies there. As such, build books are not required for Performances.
Paz wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:55 am 2) Are we saying that other contestants are using the same outfit for craftsmanship?
The rules state that participants may only compete in one contest in a given year: Craftsmanship or Performance, but not both. So, there would be no worry of this happening.
Brian Magnant

Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

bulletdancer wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm Hi There,

Can someone explain why there's a 5MB limit on the build books during application and if it will change as we get closer to the deadline? That's the size of a single photo that most of us take when doing progress photo's. Will this be something increased for the final build books?

Thanks,

Bullet
Hello!

Apologies for the late reply. I am happy to report that we have since updated the size limit for your build books and this should no longer be a concern!
Brian Magnant

dunin333
I'm new!

Post by dunin333 »

MechaGhoul wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 pm Hey! Seeing a prompt for a build book file for submission, mine is currently a WIP as I'm wrapping my build up. Should I attach a draft of the book to update later, or just some progress photos?
I also have the same question. Do the build books need to be done before application are reviewed in February or is there a certain percentage you are looking to see finished by then?
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

dunin333 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:01 am
MechaGhoul wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:11 pm Hey! Seeing a prompt for a build book file for submission, mine is currently a WIP as I'm wrapping my build up. Should I attach a draft of the book to update later, or just some progress photos?
I also have the same question. Do the build books need to be done before application are reviewed in February or is there a certain percentage you are looking to see finished by then?
A draft of your build book that is updated as often as possible is perfectly fine as you are working on it. At the time of application, cosplays do not need to be done, but having the costume at least 75% complete and documented is highly encouraged.

That being said, when applications are reviewed they should definitely be a bare minimum of that level of completion to give you the best chance of being accepted.
Brian Magnant

purple_popinjay
Determined Poster

Post by purple_popinjay »

Hi there! With most event applications closing later today, I just want to confirm we have until the 9th to submit for the Masquerade (Craftsmanship or Performance)? Thanks!
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AB 2024 Tentative Line-Up:
Schedule TBD
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

purple_popinjay wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:48 am Hi there! With most event applications closing later today, I just want to confirm we have until the 9th to submit for the Masquerade (Craftsmanship or Performance)? Thanks!
Hello!

For Masquerade applications, you have until the 9th of February to submit before the team convenes to begin jurying applications. Any applications after Feb 9th will be placed on the waitlist and you will still have until March 9th to apply, at which point they will definitively close that day.
Brian Magnant

purple_popinjay
Determined Poster

Post by purple_popinjay »

Thank you!

Sorry to be a bother, but I have one more question/clarification?

The rules say "We recommend that you keep your build book to 10 or fewer pages (front and back)".

Does that mean 10 pages counting the front and back? Or does it mean 10 pages but we can use both front and back, so 20 pages total?

I just want to make sure I am doing it right. I don't want to include too much or too little.

Thanks again!
"Do you know what costume players are? Costume players like to dress up as Pokemon for fun!" - Pokemaniac, Rock Tunnel, Pokemon Red/Blue Versions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

AB 2024 Tentative Line-Up:
Schedule TBD
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

purple_popinjay wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:51 pm Thank you!

Sorry to be a bother, but I have one more question/clarification?

The rules say "We recommend that you keep your build book to 10 or fewer pages (front and back)".

Does that mean 10 pages counting the front and back? Or does it mean 10 pages but we can use both front and back, so 20 pages total?

I just want to make sure I am doing it right. I don't want to include too much or too little.

Thanks again!
Hello!

Apologies for the late reply, you're not a bother at all! You can interpret that recommendation as the latter, where you effectively get 20 pages total. Keep in mind this is just a guideline, so there's not necessarily a right or wrong, but more so just a collection of highlights clearly representing your build along the way!
Brian Magnant

popculturechoreography

Hello! I'm not sure how much is allowed to be shared, but I wanted to ask how likely it would be for a performance application to be accepted into the cosplay performance contest. I have read the Masquerade rules and judging criteria, and I understand that there are 25 spots available. Does the convention typically have to deny several entries because there are just too many applicants? I am curious how likely my application is to be accepted. I've done my best to describe my performance in the application, and added video/audio per the recommendation on the website.

Thanks in advance on any insight that anyone may be able to share!
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

popculturechoreography wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:18 pm Hello! I'm not sure how much is allowed to be shared, but I wanted to ask how likely it would be for a performance application to be accepted into the cosplay performance contest. I have read the Masquerade rules and judging criteria, and I understand that there are 25 spots available. Does the convention typically have to deny several entries because there are just too many applicants? I am curious how likely my application is to be accepted. I've done my best to describe my performance in the application, and added video/audio per the recommendation on the website.

Thanks in advance on any insight that anyone may be able to share!
Hello!

There are a lot of factors that go into the team's decision as to whether a performance will get accepted. You've indicated a detailed description and inclusion of A/V before the jurying happens, which are both a very helpful start! That being said, the actual strength of your performance's concept, along with any script and A/V which are submitted definitely play a large part during review.

As to whether or not entries are denied due to having too many applicants? That certainly is a possibility year to year, along with the fact that we also can find it necessary to waitlist or potentially decline entries because we had too many of the same type, from the same series, etc. It is always our goal to try and provide as much variety across performances to present the best show possible!

All this being said, unfortunately we cannot really say how likely it is for yours to get accepted ahead of time. It does seem like you've done everything on your end to give yourself the best shot you can and we wish you the best of luck!
Brian Magnant

knovice
I'm new!

Post by knovice »

Just curious if there's a rough-timeline for when we will hear back on the application status? I heard previously "about a week" after the submission deadline for performances so was curious if that sounds about right for this year. Thanks!
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

knovice wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 pm Just curious if there's a rough-timeline for when we will hear back on the application status? I heard previously "about a week" after the submission deadline for performances so was curious if that sounds about right for this year. Thanks!
Hello!

The team is actively working on applications as we speak and will be doing their best to reach out as soon as possible! That is a fair estimate for when you should hear back give or take, but will vary based on various factors like schedules, the applications themselves, etc. We appreciate your patience while we continue to work on this for everyone!
Brian Magnant

ArtestCosplayGirl200
Experienced Poster

Post by ArtestCosplayGirl200 »

hi hi, i was wondering when are we most likely will hear back from the craftmanship if we are accepted, waitlisted, or declined?

AB 09: SM
10: Pretear, Sakura
11: Miku Hatsune, Yuki Cross, Mion, Amu Hinamori
Been going since 2009.
2021: megumin and re zero
popculturechoreography

I haven't heard yet as well, so I don't think there have been any emails sent out about masquerade/craftmanship applications yet. I am guessing they are still looking at applications :)
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

ArtestCosplayGirl200 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:53 pm hi hi, i was wondering when are we most likely will hear back from the craftmanship if we are accepted, waitlisted, or declined?
popculturechoreography wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:57 am I haven't heard yet as well, so I don't think there have been any emails sent out about masquerade/craftmanship applications yet. I am guessing they are still looking at applications :)
We completely understand the anticipation of hearing back on applications is tough, especially with the excitement of the con only growing larger as it approaches. I know the team is doing their best to get emails out soon though! We appreciate all of you for your continued interest and your patience!
Brian Magnant

popculturechoreography

I was just notified that my masquerade skit was denied due to the costume being from "non-eligible" sources. Would anyone know what that means exactly? I replied to the email I received, but wanted to post this here in case the staff get swamped with emails. I read all of the rules before submitting my entry, and I met all the criteria. The rules stated that the costume also did not need to be handmade (mine is not).
HardyYo8
I'm new!

Post by HardyYo8 »

Hi, I also have some questions. I was also told that my entry was from a “non-eligible” source. If I update my entry to something from a completely different series, what’s the best way to reapply for the masquerade?

I also have a question about series eligibility. Genshin Impact has announced that an anime is in production and a trailer was released for it a while ago (Sept 2022). Would it become eligible when the anime is officially released? Or would it be eligible when an official release date is announced?
popculturechoreography

So I am not the only one that received that email? That's interesting. I am in a similar situation, as my character is from RWBY. While it is an American series, the outfit I am using is from RWBY: Ice Queendom, an anime that came out in 2022. I wonder if it's a series eligibility issue? But if that's the case, I think both you and I would be considered eligible.
MechaGhoul

Post by MechaGhoul »

Hi again! Hopefully my last question!

Now that craftmanship applications are closed - would updating my build book auto-waitlist me if I had applied previously before the deadline? Like would it reset things if that makes any sense?

Thanks again for all the help!
AB 2024: ~secreeet~
AB2023: Revy - Black Lagoon, Hatsune Miku, Kuromi
AB2022: Ibuki Mioda, Ken Kaneki, Priss Asagiri
AB2020,2021: =[
AB2019: Monokuma, Ibuki Mioda [Despair Disease], Miku
AB2018: Celestia Ludenberg, Ibuki Mioda, Monokuma
AB2017: Celestia Ludenberg - Danganronpa
AB2016: Crona - Soul Eater, Jaeger Pilots - Pacific Rim
AB2015: Jaeger Pilots - Pacific Rim
AB2014: Lollipop Chainsaw[w/ Starling Sisters], Revy - Black Lagoon
Ab2013: Lollipop Chainsaw
wayracosplay

Post by wayracosplay »

hi! just out of curiosity, will application status on the sign ups page change after emails are sent or change at all prior to them being sent? the default of pending review is still there for me + i applied on 2/9/23 at 12am (lol), so before the cutoff time at 5pm et, but still nervous my application may have ended up in the waitlist pool due to the date with this default still being shown. ty!
musemusemue
I'm new!

Post by musemusemue »

I applied in 1-20-2024 and I revised it on 2-9-2024, and my status is still pending review too. I am from out of state and need plan flight to travel to con, I was wondering when can I see if I get accepted, declined, or waitlisted?
Thanks a lot!
DrSteggy
I'm new!

Post by DrSteggy »

I also applied for Craftsmanship and am still pending review. My build book didn’t attach on my initial application and I got an email asking for it, so I sent that and attached it to my application. I have not heard if it was received though I assume it was.

They did say we would hear if we were accepted, denied or waitlisted so my guess is we are still waiting for them to review everything. There was also a hard deadline of March 9- anything accepted between Feb 10- March 9 only has a shot at the waitlist so my guess is that things go out after March 9 so they don’t need to revise a waitlist.
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

MechaGhoul wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:15 pm Hi again! Hopefully my last question!

Now that craftmanship applications are closed - would updating my build book auto-waitlist me if I had applied previously before the deadline? Like would it reset things if that makes any sense?

Thanks again for all the help!
Apologies for the late reply! Updating your build book would not automatically waitlist you if you already were in prior to the deadline, so please feel free to get us that most updated version before they close on the 9th!
Brian Magnant

Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

wayracosplay wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:11 am hi! just out of curiosity, will application status on the sign ups page change after emails are sent or change at all prior to them being sent? the default of pending review is still there for me + i applied on 2/9/23 at 12am (lol), so before the cutoff time at 5pm et, but still nervous my application may have ended up in the waitlist pool due to the date with this default still being shown. ty!
musemusemue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:17 pm I applied in 1-20-2024 and I revised it on 2-9-2024, and my status is still pending review too. I am from out of state and need plan flight to travel to con, I was wondering when can I see if I get accepted, declined, or waitlisted?
Thanks a lot!
DrSteggy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:12 am I also applied for Craftsmanship and am still pending review. My build book didn’t attach on my initial application and I got an email asking for it, so I sent that and attached it to my application. I have not heard if it was received though I assume it was.

They did say we would hear if we were accepted, denied or waitlisted so my guess is we are still waiting for them to review everything. There was also a hard deadline of March 9- anything accepted between Feb 10- March 9 only has a shot at the waitlist so my guess is that things go out after March 9 so they don’t need to revise a waitlist.
Your application showing as "pending review" is a default status the system sets that you would see on your end and not necessarily an indication of whether we've actually juried applications (which we have at this point). Until the team gets the chance to go in and change it to your actual status of approved, waitlisted or declined (which should be happening soon), that's what you'll see instead.

By now I believe that all emails will have gone out to our applicants with whatever their status may be. If you haven't seen said email, please be sure to check your spam folder as we have already come across folks that have actually received their email and it went to that folder. After you've checked there, if for some reason you still cannot find an email from the Masquerade Coordinators with your application status, then you are welcome to reach out to them!
Brian Magnant

dunin333
I'm new!

Post by dunin333 »

I have checked my spam folder and still have not received an email. How do I reach out to verify my status?
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

dunin333 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 pm I have checked my spam folder and still have not received an email. How do I reach out to verify my status?
You can reach out to the Masquerade Coordinator via the Contact Us form on the website!
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

dunin333 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 pm I have checked my spam folder and still have not received an email. How do I reach out to verify my status?
I believe I've managed to figure out the issue. I think there was initially some confusion with how your application was put in, as it appears you are part of a duo and we saw two apps with your name. The team should be reaching out to you as soon as possible, apologies for the inconvenience!
Brian Magnant

DrSteggy
I'm new!

Post by DrSteggy »

By now I believe that all emails will have gone out to our applicants with whatever their status may be. If you haven't seen said email, please be sure to check your spam folder as we have already come across folks that have actually received their email and it went to that folder. After you've checked there, if for some reason you still cannot find an email from the Masquerade Coordinators with your application status, then you are welcome to reach out to them!

Yes, I have my email!! Thank you so much for the information.
nanjo-city

Post by nanjo-city »

Haisai!!

I replied to the acceptance email on the 27th and I have not heard back. I wanted to make sure that the email went through, and I was not put on the waitlist by default! Additionally, I had a few questions for Masq staff on that email that I wanted to make sure they saw as well. Please let me know if my email went through for NanjoCityCosplay craftsmanship entry!

Thank you!!

Lulu :3
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

nanjo-city wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:25 pm Haisai!!

I replied to the acceptance email on the 27th and I have not heard back. I wanted to make sure that the email went through, and I was not put on the waitlist by default! Additionally, I had a few questions for Masq staff on that email that I wanted to make sure they saw as well. Please let me know if my email went through for NanjoCityCosplay craftsmanship entry!

Thank you!!

I know that the team has, as you would imagine, received quite a few emails throughout the week but will certainly be getting back to everyone as soon as they are able. I did take a quick peek though and can confirm that an email did in fact come in from you, so bear with us as we get to replies. We truly appreciate your patience!
Brian Magnant

nanjo-city

Post by nanjo-city »

Thank you so much for letting me know!! I wanted to make sure that it went through okay as I was having keyboard issues lololol

I look forward to hearing back!

NanjoCityCosplay