Idol Showcase 2024 - Questions

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Cycrino
AB Staff

Idol Showcase 2024 - Questions

Post by Cycrino »

Learn more about the event here: https://www.animeboston.com/activities/idol_showcase
Apply through Cosplay HQ: https://www.animeboston.com/cosplayhq/
Event rules and application guidelines are posted here: https://www.animeboston.com/activities/ ... ents_rules

If you have specific questions, you can post on this thread or you can contact the Idol Showcase Coordinator through the Contact Us form: https://www.animeboston.com/contact
Andrey Zholudok
Cosplay Events Manager 2024
ArtemisNerdsOut
I'm new!

Re: Idol Showcase 2024 - Questions

Post by ArtemisNerdsOut »

So I’m trying to apply but when I’ve been going to the thing that says sign up it just continues to say error 404 page not found. I have everything all set to go but I go to apply and it doesn’t allow any signs up so idk if anyone else is having this issue
ritakk
Getting the hang of this...

Post by ritakk »

The page is also 404 for me, idk why.
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

ArtemisNerdsOut wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:49 pm So I’m trying to apply but when I’ve been going to the thing that says sign up it just continues to say error 404 page not found. I have everything all set to go but I go to apply and it doesn’t allow any signs up so idk if anyone else is having this issue
ritakk wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:57 pm The page is also 404 for me, idk why.
Applications are opening at 9pm ET tonight.
"My Events" / "All Events" should be showing a "Sorry there aren't currently any events to apply to" message until that time.

We thank you for your patience as we work with the new website. Typically a 404 means a few things:
  • Forum password needs to be updated
  • Cosplay HQ "My Profile" needs to be updated/accepted for the current year
  • Cosplay HQ "My history" may need to be updated/accepted
Can you try resetting your password and then clicking "Update" on both "My Profile" and "My history"?

Thanks!
Brian Magnant
Cosplay Events Assistant Manager 2024
Masquerade Coordinator 2020, 2023
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2016-19, 2021-2022

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.
I will protect those who cannot protect themselves.
I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.
ArtemisNerdsOut
I'm new!

Post by ArtemisNerdsOut »

I just updated my info yesterday so I’m unsure why it’s giving the error. I updated my name and such and emergency contact as well as updated my password for here as well so idk why it’s giving the error
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

ArtemisNerdsOut wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:33 pm I just updated my info yesterday so I’m unsure why it’s giving the error. I updated my name and such and emergency contact as well as updated my password for here as well so idk why it’s giving the error
As far as updates you made, this also includes the "My History" tab in Cosplay HQ? If not and you go to that now, you may see a message indicating it needs to be updated (even if there was nothing to change). Scroll all the way to the bottom and simply hit the Update History button.
Brian Magnant

hanaperi.studio

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Speaking of the My History tab, it looks like I need to make an update to the 2023 lineup, but I’m blocked from changing anything. Should I contact someone about this or wait for something to be resolved?
AB 2023
FRI: Shibuya Kanon, Yuigaoka Uniform (Love Live! Superstar)
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
ritakk

Post by ritakk »

Hi, what does leader character name and series? For example, I want to perform a song from lovelive!. So the leader character name should be Honoka Kosaka, right?This is the first time I apply for it, so I am pretty confused.
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Idol Showcase Info & FAQ

Post by Cosmic Lune »

Hi everyone!
With the new year just around the corner, it’s that time of year again to get your idol gears turning. The Idol Showcase is now officially accepting applications for Anime Boston 2024! 

If this is your first time applying for the Idol Showcase, thank you for your interest!
I’m Roo, and I’m the Idol Showcase Coordinator.

In this post I’ll do my best to address some of the most common questions we receive, but if anything is unclear, please don’t hesitate to reach out with further inquiries.

Image Anime Boston’s Idol Showcase: OverviewImage
The Idol Showcase is an exhibition held at Anime Boston that provides idol-cosplaying dance groups and individuals a chance to perform on the main stage. Our event is an opportunity for performers across all experience levels, from first-time debuts to seasoned groups, to showcase their idol charisma. The Idol Showcase is not a judged contest. Our event gives idol performers a platform to shine bright on the main stage while exhibiting their cosplays and dance skills alongside a passionate community.

Selected participants are offered a time slot (either 4 or 5 minutes depending on group size) to perform a choreography routine (covered or original) to the corresponding song of their choice.

* ( Note: As per Anime Boston rule of thumb, the Idol Showcase consists of performances derivative of Japanese idol anime, mobile/video games, or manga series. Non-Japanese based entries will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but are not generally accepted. )

⎯⎯・⎯⎯・Requirements: Cosplay・⎯⎯・⎯⎯ ・⎯⎯ ♪♪
As a Cosplay Event, cosplay is required to qualify for a performance.
Q: Does cosplay need to be handmade?
While applicants with homemade costumes are more than welcome to apply, craftsmanship does not influence selections. Performance is our basis of our evaluation process. Homemade, purchased, and commissioned costumes all qualify for the Idol Showcase.
Q: Should I be in cosplay in my audition?
Applicants are welcome to record their audition videos in their performance-designated cosplays, but it’s not a requirement. However, please be sure to indicate which costumes you will wear in the event of acceptance. If your cosplay/s have an identifying set name or associated song, please include that somewhere on your application.

⎯⎯・⎯⎯・Requirements: Songs・⎯⎯・⎯⎯ ・⎯⎯ ♪♪
* IMPORTANT! = Applications containing a song MP3 file that exceeds the time limit at the time applications close will not qualify for acceptance.
‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ 4 or less members: 4 minutes max
‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ ‏‎ 5 or more members: 5 minutes max

Please submit the highest quality of your audio file possible, do not add any audio filters.
( Tip ! . . .Try listening to the song file both with headphones and over your speaker, or on multiple devices to ensure there are no notable sound issues. )
Q: Is it ok if my song is a few seconds over the time limit?
Due to time constraints, we cannot make exceptions for applications with songs that are over time. If your song is too long, we suggest cutting out the amount of exceeding time at the beginning or end of the song and adding a fade in/out. If you have more experience with audio editing, mid-section removal is also acceptable if transitions are seamless and don’t disrupt tempo.
Q: Can I change my song later if I change my mind?
The MP3 file uploaded with your application MUST be the same song you intend to perform. We cannot accept song swaps/significant structure changes after applications close.
Q: Do you accept original songs?
While existing songs from idol games, animes, and other series make up the greater majority of the show, original songs and personal covers of high production quality are permitted. However, with our current tech requirements, original songs and self-covers are subject to high sound standards more intensive review.
Q: What about live singing?
Live singing is not supported by the Idol Showcase at this time. Performances may only utilize songs that have been pre-recorded and approved by staff.

⎯⎯・⎯⎯・ Requirements: Audition・⎯⎯・⎯⎯ ・⎯⎯ ♪♪
Applications must include an audition video to be considered for selection.

Please use the “A/V file upload” function to upload your song’s MP3 file, and for your audition video, attach a link to a shareable file in the “Other Info” field.
We encourage uploading videos to a personal Google Drive, setting the share access to “Anyone with link”, and including this shareable link in your application.

Auditions MUST reflect the song and choreography which the participant intends to perform if accepted. Videos of different performances are not accepted.
Q: Can I edit my audition video?
Auditions should be one uncut, continuous take. You're welcome to edit the video in terms of assembling individually recorded group member auditions side-by-side, but there shouldn't be any jump cuts.
Q: Does everyone in my group need to be in the audition video?
It's not a requirement, but we strongly encourage auditions to contain as many of the individuals listed on the application as possible. The more members present in the audition video, the better the application will be received and the greater the chances are of acceptance.

Image APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 1st, 2024 Image

Applications are open from 12/15 - 2/1. All applicants will be able to edit/update their application through Cosplay HQ until 2/1. Please make sure that your application contains all the necessary requirements by then.

Please review the event rules page before applying.

Application link: https://animeboston.com/cosplayhq/events
If you get a 404 error or a redirect back to Cosplay HQ home, please see staff replies above and update your account settings.

Good luck everyone!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Idol Showcase Coordinator
Anime Boston 20192024
Twitter | IG | Tumblr | YT
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

ғʀɪᴅᴀʏ: Kuchiki Rukia (Bankai) - Bleach
sᴀᴛᴜʀᴅᴀʏ: Settsu Banri (6th Anniv.) - A3!
sᴜɴᴅᴀʏ: Baji Keisuke - Tokyo Revengers
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

ritakk wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:16 pm Hi, what does leader character name and series? For example, I want to perform a song from lovelive!. So the leader character name should be Honoka Kosaka, right?This is the first time I apply for it, so I am pretty confused.
Thank you for checking! The "Leader" is actually referring to the person who is submitting the application on behalf of the group.

So, if you're the one submitting the application and you will be cosplaying Honoka, you'd put Honoka for "Leader character name". But for example, if you're the one applying and you will be cosplaying Umi, you'd put Umi's name for leader character instead, and Honoka's in the additional group member's section respective to the member who will be cosplaying her.
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

ritakk

Post by ritakk »

Thank you!
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

hanaperi.studio wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:10 pm Speaking of the My History tab, it looks like I need to make an update to the 2023 lineup, but I’m blocked from changing anything. Should I contact someone about this or wait for something to be resolved?
You can only updated your participation history once per year, so if you clicked "Update History" initially without making any updates (like I did) to regain application access, unfortunately I don't believe you'll be able change anything further on your own.

If this is the case for anyone - you can send me a message (select 'Idol Showcase Coordinator') and I'll make the update for you. Please include the following in your request:
  • forum name
  • associated email address
  • event(s) you participated in that you need added and for which year(s)
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

hanaperi.studio

Post by hanaperi.studio »

Thank you very much! I have just sent a message via the form that you linked.
AB 2023
SAT: Wien Margarete, Butterfly Wing (Love Live! Superstar)
SUN: Mifune Shioriko, Emotion (Love Live! Nijigasaki)

AB 2022
SAT: Uehara Ayumu, Yume e no Ippo (Love Live! Nijigasaki)
ritakk

Post by ritakk »

Hi,When can we know the result?Just want to prepare for the event and help my members schedule the time. Thank you!
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

ritakk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:10 pm Hi,When can we know the result?Just want to prepare for the event and help my members schedule the time. Thank you!
Acceptance notifications will start going out as early as February 9th. All applicants can expect to hear back from us within 3 weeks after the application deadline.

Acceptances will be sent out in waves during this time. If you don't hear from us at the beginning of this period in the first wave of acceptance emails, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be accepted. We ask applicants to wait until hearing from us before assuming they've been waitlisted or denied.

Everyone will be notified of their results via email - whether accepted, waitlisted, or denied by 2/23. We kindly request waiting to hear from us by this date before reaching out with update inquiries. Thank you!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

nicoshairbows
I'm new!

Post by nicoshairbows »

Hi! Quick question as it's my first time applying, when I click view full application it gives me a 404 error. Not sure if this is normal or not so I just wanted to double check just in case. Thank you!
2024 LINEUP
Friday: Miracle Wave Kanan Matsuura
Saturday: Shooting Star Warrior Yohane & Aquarium You Watanabe
Sunday: Little Devil Nico Yazawa
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

nicoshairbows wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:34 pm Hi! Quick question as it's my first time applying, when I click view full application it gives me a 404 error. Not sure if this is normal or not so I just wanted to double check just in case. Thank you!
We thank you for your patience as we work with the new website. Typically a 404 means a few things:
  • Forum password needs to be updated
  • Cosplay HQ "My Profile" needs to be updated/accepted for the current year
  • Cosplay HQ "My history" may need to be updated/accepted
Can you try resetting your password and then clicking "Update" on both "My Profile" and "My history"?
Brian Magnant

nicoshairbows
I'm new!

Post by nicoshairbows »

Hi! I tried doing that and it's still giving me the 404 error. I can access everything in the cosplayHQ fine and I'm able to edit my application fine as well, it's only when I go to view application under current applications that it gives me the 404 error. Is there anything else I should try to fix this? Thanks!
2024 LINEUP
Friday: Miracle Wave Kanan Matsuura
Saturday: Shooting Star Warrior Yohane & Aquarium You Watanabe
Sunday: Little Devil Nico Yazawa
nazo400

Post by nazo400 »

nicoshairbows wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:36 pm Hi! I tried doing that and it's still giving me the 404 error. I can access everything in the cosplayHQ fine and I'm able to edit my application fine as well, it's only when I go to view application under current applications that it gives me the 404 error. Is there anything else I should try to fix this? Thanks!
I got the same issue and already tried everything :(
Avatar made by me please don't steal without credit or I'll sic the Undertaker or Grell on you... :geek:

~Long Island holds my heart~
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

nazo400 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:47 pm
nicoshairbows wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:36 pm Hi! I tried doing that and it's still giving me the 404 error. I can access everything in the cosplayHQ fine and I'm able to edit my application fine as well, it's only when I go to view application under current applications that it gives me the 404 error. Is there anything else I should try to fix this? Thanks!
I will try to dig into this and see what I can find out. Thank you for your continued patience!
Brian Magnant

kekicosplay
I'm new!

Post by kekicosplay »

Hi! My group and I originally had 4 members but one person just left. the remaining members already have our cosplays and choreography can we still submit an audition if we modify the original choreography to work for 3 dancers?
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

kekicosplay wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:46 am Hi! My group and I originally had 4 members but one person just left. the remaining members already have our cosplays and choreography can we still submit an audition if we modify the original choreography to work for 3 dancers?
Yes, choreography adjustments can be incorporated at your own discretion, so long as they are reflected in the audition video and the on-stage performance does not significantly deviate. Thanks for the question!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

nazo400

Post by nazo400 »

nicoshairbows wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:36 pm I will try to dig into this and see what I can find out. Thank you for your continued patience!
Ok! Thank u!
Avatar made by me please don't steal without credit or I'll sic the Undertaker or Grell on you... :geek:

~Long Island holds my heart~
Nyuu
AB Staff

Post by Nyuu »

nazo400 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:47 pm
This should be fixed now and should properly link to your application. Thanks again for your patience!
Brian Magnant

rawrdice
I'm new!

Post by rawrdice »

hi!! just to confirm, is the idol showcase on the saturday? and if i don’t have tickets by the time i apply, will that hinder my application? traveling to boston is tricky and i can only go one day that’s why im asking ^^
Onesadcatto
I'm new!

Post by Onesadcatto »

Hoi!

I am looking at the Idol Showcase application and I have a few questions on what some sections are asking...

1. Is "Stage Name" is the name we would like to go by? (ie. my username "Onesadcatto")

2. Would "Performance Title" be the name of the song we're performing or would it be the name of OUR performance that we would like for it to be called? (ie. "The 2nd step.")

3. Can the "Other Info" include other information that may seem important? (ię. I submit a panel and if
both my submission for the panel and showcase get accepted, I hope the times don't conflict with one
another.)

Sorry if I am asking a bunch of questions. I have never really used to AB forums and I really don't want to screw
anything up when applying here. . _.
Just a catto that's saddo
Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

Thank you for reaching out! Happy to clarify, but please feel free to follow up or shoot us an email if anything is still unclear. ◡̈
Onesadcatto wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:59 pm1. Is "Stage Name" is the name we would like to go by? (ie. my username "Onesadcatto")
Correct! This is what our emcees will use to introduce you at the show. It could be a group name, cosplay alias, username, or whatever name you'd like to be credited as at the time of your performance.
2. Would "Performance Title" be the name of the song we're performing or would it be the name of OUR performance that we would like for it to be called? (ie. "The 2nd step.")
The title is up to you! Some folks may simply use the name of the song they are performing, while others may come up with an original title for their performance specifically - all based on personal preference. However, if your title is not the name of your chosen song, we just ask that you include it in the "Other Info" section.
3. Can the "Other Info" include other information that may seem important? (ię. I submit a panel and if
both my submission for the panel and showcase get accepted, I hope the times don't conflict with one
another.)
Absolutely! This section can be used to note any other info/notes that weren't applicable in another section. We'll be looking for your MP3 audio file, audition video link, song title, and/or intended cosplay outfit set (if applicable) to be listed here (if not elsewhere), but if there's anything else you'd like us to know, feel free to include it in "Other Info"!

I hope this helps! We're looking forward to reviewing your audition, good luck!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

Cosmic Lune
AB Staff

Post by Cosmic Lune »

rawrdice wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:50 pm hi!! just to confirm, is the idol showcase on the saturday? and if i don’t have tickets by the time i apply, will that hinder my application? traveling to boston is tricky and i can only go one day that’s why im asking ^^
Hi there! We are finalizing the details around event scheduling, so we can't officially confirm the time/date of the Idol Showcase quite yet. That said, our show has been scheduled for Saturday (early PM) for the past three con years, so historically, the Idol Showcase will more than likely be on Saturday afternoon again this year.

Additionally, pre-registration status of the applicant/s will NOT have any effect on applications. However in the event of accepting a performance offer, the applicant is expected to obtain a badge to attend at the time of the show, and any unforeseen absences may affect future participation eligibility.

Once the schedule has been confirmed, we will announce event times on the site and through our social media channels. We're hoping to get those details out soon!
Roo D.! he/him/his !
Anime Boston 20192024
꒷꒦︶ ︶꒷꒦꒷︶ ︶꒷꒦

🫧 𖥻 2024 LINEUP﹕🫧

Sora_Idols
I'm new!

Post by Sora_Idols »

Hiii, So i cant add that my group preformed in the 2022 showcase on my history on this account? is there a way for me to do it?

We preformwd as Liella start true dream in 2022
ksmurf
AB Executive

Post by ksmurf »

Sora_Idols wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:45 pm Hiii, So i cant add that my group preformed in the 2022 showcase on my history on this account? is there a way for me to do it?

We preformwd as Liella start true dream in 2022
If you need to make a change to your Cosplay HQ history, message the Cosplay Events Manager via the Contact Us form on the website.
Alison Bird
Director of Programming 2024