General question about how cosplot works

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Snowfall
I'm new!

General question about how cosplot works

Post by Snowfall » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi! I'm really new to cosplay, and seeing the cosplay games this year really inspired me to want to do cosplay games next year... but im kinda curious about something.

So, from what I understand certain cosplay games have cosplot elements, like Chess is an obvious example. And for each cosplot, there's two separate teams, and the one you're on is based on whichever on your cosplay fits best.

Are the teams usually designed to allow as many cosplays as possible? Like, for instance, this year was earth vs. space. That's a super broad theme that can fit pretty much every cosplay. And last year was retro vs new, which LITERALLY fits every cosplay.

When I saw the theme for this year as being Shogun/Samurai, I kinda got confused, since I didn't realize they didn't actually say the opposite team until later down the line. And since that's pretty thematically restrictive... is it possible that I could end up making a cosplay for a character that wouldn't end up fitting cosplot (I was planning on a Satou Kazuma from Konosuba).

I'm in general just confused about cosplots relationship to cosplay games. No thread I've found so far has really answered my question. Basically, are the themes usually broad enough to allow all cosplays, or is it possible that next year will be really niche?

Sorry for the wall of text btw

ksmurf
AB Staff

Re: General question about how cosplot works

Post by ksmurf » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:04 am

Thank you for your question! I'll answer by way of a cosplot master post.

For those that aren't familiar with the term "cosplot", this refers to the narrative around the Anime Boston Cosplay Games.

It's the context we give as to why certain games are happening or serves to break up the action instead of just playing the games in a vacuum. Some games use this more heavily (i.e. chess) and how much plot is incorporated varies from year to year.

The cosplot story usually ties into the theme for the con, but isn't always a direct connection. For example, in the year of Mystery, cosplot was centered around "Who Killed Sailor Moon?" The year of the Sports Festival, the plot was around drop-outs trying to cheat their way through sports events.

The teams for Chess will be more closely integrated into Cosplot than anything else. For example, in the year of Magic and Mischief, the teams were Good vs Evil. We try to make the teams as broad as possible to allow for the maximum eligible cosplays.

While we haven't determined the Cosplot for 2019 yet, it will definitely be a broad theme that many cosplays will align to. More details to be revealed in the months leading up to the convention.

If you are interested in being a part of cosplot next year, there are a few things you can do:

1.Apply to be in cosplot - when building out scripts, we look at the cosplot pool to see who is interested
2. Apply to the games - coordinators like to use people who are already in their event
3. Apply to be a host - hosts often get pulled into Cosplot by virtue of their roles

I hope this answers your question!
Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Coordinator 2019
AB Cosplay Games Technical Coordinator 2016-2018
Attendee: Anime Boston 2004-2015

ABCosGames - Putting the play in Cosplay!

Snowfall
I'm new!

Re: General question about how cosplot works

Post by Snowfall » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:46 am

That does answer it, thank you so much :)