Cosplay and Props - Approval

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
ksmurf
AB Staff

Cosplay and Props - Approval

Post by ksmurf » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:25 pm

This is a friendly reminder that props and cosplays cannot be pre-approved before the convention.

PROPS
Prop inspection is handled by Hynes Security Staff and the Boston Police. Whether a prop is permitted into the convention is at their discretion.

Please review the Anime Boston Prop Policy for details about the prop inspection process and guidelines for bringing a prop weapon to Anime Boston http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ies/#props.

Take note of the Prohibited Items list as well: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... ited_items.

A helpful guideline to use is: hypothetically, if you hit someone with your prop (we do not condone this), who would break first - the person or your prop?

If the answer is 'the person', your weapon is less likely to be approved. Note: if the answer was 'the prop', this does not guarantee your prop will be approved.

When in doubt, we recommend leaving your prop at home, in your car, or in your hotel room.

COSPLAYS
Similarly, Anime Boston staff cannot pre-approve any cosplays.

Attendees are reminded that per our Convention Rules:
3. Appropriate attire is required at all times, including shoes, pants/shorts/skirts, and shirts/tops.
For more information on the convention rules and policies: http://www.animeboston.com/coninfo/conv ... eral_rules
Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Coordinator 2019
AB Cosplay Games Technical Coordinator 2016-2018
Attendee: Anime Boston 2004-2015

ABCosGames - Putting the play in Cosplay!

mono.mi
I'm new!

Re: Cosplay and Props - Approval

Post by mono.mi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm

I do not expect pre-approval, however I would like to know if fake knives such as plastic knives or knives made out of cardboard and plaster are allowed? Sorry if I am asking this in the wrong place or if this is a dumb question...
Anime Boston 2018
Friday: Circus Kotori
Saturday: Circus Kotori

snapelicious
Expert Poster

Re: Cosplay and Props - Approval

Post by snapelicious » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 pm

mono.mi wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 pm
I do not expect pre-approval, however I would like to know if fake knives such as plastic knives or knives made out of cardboard and plaster are allowed? Sorry if I am asking this in the wrong place or if this is a dumb question...
It's really a case by case thing. When we say we can't pre-approve, we mean that the final say is always going to go to Hynes security. There may have been fake knives in the past, but security gets the last say. Ksmurf's guideline of "what breaks first, the prop or a person" is a good one to keep in mind. Use your best judgement.
Cait Webber
After Dark Dating Coordinator
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training