Can I bring a microwave as a prop?

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
I'm new!

Can I bring a microwave as a prop?

Post by Crazy_Legs_Mcgee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 am

I am looking to go to Anime Boston as Okabe from Steins;Gate and have a microwave I'd like to use as a prop. I've gutted out all the internals of it, so now all that remains is just the shell and the front window. Can I bring this to the convention?

AB Staff

Re: Can I bring a microwave as a prop?

Post by MandaTifa » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:33 am

No props can be pre-approved prior to the convention, as the Hynes security has final say on anything that enters their facility. That said, even with the internal bits removed, a microwave is still a pretty hefty item. The general rule of thumb is "If you were to hit a person with your prop, which would break first? The person or the prop?" With that in mind, I wouldn't set your heart on it actually making it into the con. All props can be held by security and picked up later, or you can return it to your room if it doesn't make it in.
Amanda Graves
Masquerade Staff 2012 - 2018
Attendee 2010-2011
Bakuretsu Con Staff 2009-2016

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."

"Regardless of warnings the future doesn't scare me at all. Nothing's like before."

Experienced Poster

Re: Can I bring a microwave as a prop?

Post by JosephW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 am

Yeah, uh...I'd recommend getting a cardboard box or something like that and making a "microwave" prop instead. Lugging around a whole microwave would not only tire you out real fast, but it'd be kinda dangerous, yes.