For Honor Weapon Policy

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
Fireburned
I'm new!

For Honor Weapon Policy

Post by Fireburned » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm

This is a question for anyone that will be with security, or anyone that can DEFINITELY answer this question.
Going as the Raider from For Honor, and i am currently crafting his dane axe out of cheap wood from home depot, im going to be sawing, sanding, and painting this thing so it looks really good. My question here is, what are the chances that this wont be allowing in through security? i would be putting in a lot of effort into this thing, and i would never swing it at someone.
Everything on the axe will be made of cheap wood, even the axe head.
-Fireburned

Edit: This is the axe + character https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/for ... 0917031023

Selestyl
Veteran Poster

Re: For Honor Weapon Policy

Post by Selestyl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm

I’m not staff, and unfortunately nobody will be able to pre-approve props. That will fall to security the day of the con.

However based on what you’ve described, I fear you’ll have some trouble. The general consensus seems to be “if you were to hit someone, would they break or would the prop break?” You’ll want to stick to lighter things like foam and PVC - my first prop was an all-wood sword and I had a lot of trouble getting through security because of it.

Sorry, this probably isn’t what you want to hear. You should, however, take pictures outside of the con with it - get a photo shoot or something!
2018 Lineup:
Fem!Ignis, post-Altissa - Final Fantasy XV
[Fallback] Ema Skye - Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice

Thrillho
Expert Poster

Re: For Honor Weapon Policy

Post by Thrillho » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm

(In no way affiliated with AB Staff or Hynes Security)

What I can tell you is what I've gotten in last year:
Ozpin's cane from RWBY
Haruko's guitar from FLCL

I was worried about the guitar, but they didn't have any issues with it. Probably because it doesn't look like a weapon.

My advice would be to try to construct the head out of foam instead of wood. You could also just line the ends with foam (thus making the wood portion of the head smaller) to try to make it safer.

There's a chance I'm going to make or commission Peter Port's axe/blunderbuss combo (RWBY) and I'm concerned about that myself.
Joe aka Gustav
1/4 of Curtain Call Cosplay

AB 2018
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Zant (Legend of Zelda) / Professor Port (RWBY) / Rintarou Okabe (Steins;Gate) / Wario (Mario Franchise) / Over Justice (Space Patrol Luluco)

AB 2017
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Haruko Haruhara (FLCL) / Oscar Pine (RWBY) / Zant (Hyrule Warriors)

AB 2016 (First Time!)
Professor Ozpin (RWBY) / Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) / Kouta (Elfen Lied)