Anime Boston Cosplay Lip Sync Battle 2018

You don't need to be in costume to post in this cosplay forum... but sometimes it helps.
snapelicious
AB Staff

Anime Boston Cosplay Lip Sync Battle 2018

Post by snapelicious » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Hey y'all! We're back for our second year!

We're looking for the Next Lip Sync Idol! Sixteen acts will go head-to-head in this Bracket Style match, and the winners will be chosen by AUDIENCE APPLAUSE. Who will take the crown from the lovely lady Alisha?

Applications are open NOW (January 1) through the end of February! Please have your set list of FOUR (4) songs chosen upon application. Song length will be cut off at 90 seconds, (that's a minute and a half), so keep that in mind when you're selecting. While the characters in the game MUST be of Japanese Origin, the songs can be anything you like!

As a reminder, while we love all cosplay at Anime Boston, the con's policy is that all costumes featured by Masquerade and Cosplay Games be of characters of Japanese Origin. Any applications for non-Japanese media characters are sadly ineligible for consideration. :(
Last edited by snapelicious on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cait Webber
Cosplay Lip Sync Battle Coordinator
After Dark Dating Asst. Coordinator
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training

Eri Kagami
Expert Poster

Re: Anime Boston Cosplay Lip Sync Battle 2018

Post by Eri Kagami » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm

As someone who skipped last year's AB, what's the time / day Lip Sync Battle will take place? Help appreciated!

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:15 pm

Eri Kagami wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 pm
As someone who skipped last year's AB, what's the time / day Lip Sync Battle will take place? Help appreciated!
The schedule is still in motion - even we won't know the day/time until a bit closer to the convention. But we will definitely update this thread once we know the particulars!

Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Tech 2016-2018
Attendee: AB04 - AB15

foreverfinn
Veteran Poster

Post by foreverfinn » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Do you want us to get recordings of songs that are cut and send them in some format, or do you just want song names/artists and you'll cut them short for us? Also, if the first is true, do you want clean versions of songs? Since I know children attend this con.
AB 2018 Cosplay Lineup

Thursday: ???
Friday: ??? / ???
Saturday: Wonderful Rush Rin Hoshizora (Love Live!) performing with Shining Sky Idol Project / ???
Sunday: Cheer Nozomi Tojo (Love Live!)

Next Con

???

Instagram

@forever.withyoursoul

ksmurf
AB Staff

Post by ksmurf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 pm

foreverfinn wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:33 pm
Do you want us to get recordings of songs that are cut and send them in some format, or do you just want song names/artists and you'll cut them short for us? Also, if the first is true, do you want clean versions of songs? Since I know children attend this con.
These are some great questions!

If you are selected as a participant of Lip Sync Battle, the coordinator will be in touch to collect your songs. We would prefer that you cut your own songs, that way you have complete control over where the song starts and ends. If you aren't able to cut your songs, then we'll work out how to get the song on a case-by-case basis.

Yes please on the clean versions of songs - no explicit language! Our general guideline is it needs to fit under a PG-13 rating.

Alison Bird
AB Cosplay Games Tech 2016-2018
Attendee: AB04 - AB15

FiretoIce
Expert Poster

Post by FiretoIce » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:34 pm

So I was wondering if we could have props.
Also, I'm assuming no political messages, but, if there is a character that is heavily coded gay to Americans, but considered openly gay to Japanese audiences, can the song, and performance, have gay under (over) tones?
2018 AB
Genderbend Ganondorf
Ronin Flareon

2017 AB-
San
Boros
Ashiya

sohopefully
AB Staff

Post by sohopefully » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:09 pm

FiretoIce wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:34 pm
So I was wondering if we could have props.
Also, I'm assuming no political messages, but, if there is a character that is heavily coded gay to Americans, but considered openly gay to Japanese audiences, can the song, and performance, have gay under (over) tones?
Props are perfectly acceptable for Lip Sync Battle, and there is going to be an optional microphone prop available. Each specific prop will need to be judged on a case by case basis, however, and must adhere to all convention rules. If you have more specific questions about a given prop, please email cosplaygames@animeboston.com.

We welcome characters of all orientations in our events and encourage them to be as loud and proud as you see fit (or not)! What's important for our games is that you be in-character and entertain the audience.
Hope Middleton
Cosplay Games Coordinator - 2017-2018
Masquerade Staff - 2016
Chibi Zone Coordinator - 2015
Attendee 2003-2014

Len11999
I'm new!

Post by Len11999 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm

I wish you didn't have the exclusionary Japanese origin only rule but whatever. I am a fierce lip sync competitor and with this rule as it stand, you must live on knowing you will be missing the awesomeness that is my tight lip syncs.

testycanadian
I'm new!

Post by testycanadian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 pm

I was wondering if all competitors had to be solos or if duos were also accepted?

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 pm

testycanadian wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:37 pm
I was wondering if all competitors had to be solos or if duos were also accepted?
Duos aren't unheard of, but both members must apply separately. Just indicate in your application who your partner is.
Cait Webber
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training

HugoFrostee
I'm new!

Post by HugoFrostee » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm

snapelicious wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm
Who will take the crown from Kakashi, the mouthless ninja?
Uhhhh...didn't Alisha from Tales of Zestiria win tho? Pretty sure Kakashi doesn't have the crown.

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:06 pm

HugoFrostee wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm
snapelicious wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm
Who will take the crown from Kakashi, the mouthless ninja?
Uhhhh...didn't Alisha from Tales of Zestiria win tho? Pretty sure Kakashi doesn't have the crown.
Then it'll be really easy to depose him!

(That is to say our records from last year went missing and we had to go from memory. Thank you for the correction!)
Cait Webber
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training

Bakemonochan
I'm new!

Post by Bakemonochan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Deku from My Hero Academia

"Get Back Up Again" from Trolls
"Paparazzi" Lady Gaga
"Superhero" BigKids
"Talk Nerdy to Me" K-Face Rules

Sky
I'm new!

Post by Sky » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm

Since the event is not 18+, would a character in a bodysuit that is intended to be skin/muscle be allowed?
For example, would the Titan forms of Eren or the Female Titan from Attack on Titan be okay?

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Bakemonochan wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm
Deku from My Hero Academia
An interesting playlist! I'd recommend popping over to cosplay hq http://animeboston.com/cosplayhq/ to apply! Though, you may wish not to share your playlist here! You don't want to reveal your secret weapons!
Cait Webber
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training

snapelicious
AB Staff

Post by snapelicious » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Sky wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm
Since the event is not 18+, would a character in a bodysuit that is intended to be skin/muscle be allowed?
For example, would the Titan forms of Eren or the Female Titan from Attack on Titan be okay?
It never hurts to apply! We review costumes on a case by case basis, so I can't preapprove anything here.
Cait Webber
Cosplay Games Staff 2018
No. 1 Hero-in-Training